"Amoskeag" derives from the Pennacook word "Namoskeag," which roughly translates as "good fishing place.” Here, the Merrimack River drops 50 feet (15 m). Native American tribes in the region visited Amoskeag Falls due to its plentiful migrating sturgeon, alewife, and salmon, which were easily fished in the rapids. Natives typically caught fish using a combination of large nets strung across the river. Significant native settlements were sited near the falls, particularly on the high bluffs overlooking the east side of the river.
In 1807, Samuel Blodgett started a canal and lock system at the river to help vessels navigate around the falls, opening the area to development. This soon led to the use of the falls for a power canal to provide water power for Manchester's 19th century industrial development, most notable for the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company.
Due to the significance of the falls in Manchester history, a number of local companies have adopted their name. Examples include the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company (which operated a majority of Manchester's textile mills using power from the falls until they closed in the midst of labor strikes in 1935), its division called the Amoskeag Locomotive Works (an early manufacturer of fire trucks and train cars), and the Amoskeag Fishways (an environmental education center located at the Amoskeag Falls).
Amoskeag may refer to:
Amoskeag Falls, a waterfall on the Merrimack River in Manchester, New Hampshire, USA
Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, a former textile manufacturing company
Amoskeag Company, a company spun off from the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company
Amoskeag Locomotive Works, a former locomotive manufacturing company
Amoskeag Rugby Club, a rugby team in Manchester, NHAmoskeag Manufacturing Company
The Amoskeag Manufacturing Company was a textile manufacturer which founded Manchester, New Hampshire. From modest beginnings in near wilderness, it grew throughout the 19th century into the largest cotton textile plant in the world. At its peak, Amoskeag was unrivaled both for the quality and quantity of its products. But with great size came an inability to adapt. In the early 20th century, the business failed to adapt to changing economic and social conditions.Black Brook (Merrimack River tributary)
Black Brook is an 11.4-mile-long (18.3 km) stream located in southern New Hampshire in the United States. It is a tributary of the Merrimack River, which flows to the Gulf of Maine.
Black Brook begins at the outlet of Kimball Pond in Dunbarton, New Hampshire. The brook travels southeast into Goffstown and then Manchester, joining the Merrimack just upstream from Amoskeag Falls.Concord, New Hampshire
Concord () is the capital city of the U.S. state of New Hampshire and the county seat of Merrimack County. As of the 2010 census, its population was 42,695, and in 2018 the population was an estimated 43,412.Concord includes the villages of Penacook, East Concord, and West Concord. The city is home to the University of New Hampshire School of Law, New Hampshire's only law school; St. Paul's School, a private preparatory school; NHTI, a two-year community college; and the Granite State Symphony Orchestra. It is the resting place of Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the United States.DEKA (company)
DEKA Research & Development Corporation is a technology company based in New Hampshire, founded in 1982 by Dean Kamen, consisting of nearly 400 engineers, technicians, and support staff. DEKA is an acronym derived from Dean Kamen. The company is located in a series of old Amoskeag Falls Millyard buildings in Manchester, New Hampshire; Kamen has real estate investments in the neighborhood beyond DEKA offices, contributing to revitalization of the neighborhood along with other major investors.Goffstown, New Hampshire
Goffstown is a town in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 17,651 at the 2010 census. The compact center of town, where 3,196 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as the Goffstown census-designated place and is located at the junction of New Hampshire routes 114 and 13. Goffstown also includes the villages of Grasmere and Pinardville. The town is home to Saint Anselm College (and its New Hampshire Institute of Politics) and is the former location of the New Hampshire State Prison for Women, prior to the prison’s relocation to Concord in 2018. The former prison in Goffstown is now vacant.Head v. Amoskeag Manufacturing Co.
Head v. Amoskeag Mfg. Co., 113 U.S. 9 (1885), was a U.S. Supreme Court case considering whether a dam constructed on privately owned land served a public purpose and whether having the owner of the dam compensate any adjacent landowner was a legal form of eminent domain.List of nature centers in New Hampshire
This is a list of nature centers and environmental education centers in the state of New Hampshire, United States.
To use the sortable tables: click on the icons at the top of each column to sort that column in alphabetical order; click again for reverse alphabetical order.List of waterfalls
This is a list of notable waterfalls of the world sorted by continent, then country, then province, state or territory. A waterfall is considered notable if it has an existing article specifically for it on Wikipedia, and it is at least 15 m (50 ft) high, or the falls have some historical significance based on multiple reliable references.
See additional lists of waterfalls by height, flow rate and type.Manchester, New Hampshire
Manchester is a city in the southern part of the U.S. state of New Hampshire. It is the most populous city in northern New England, an area comprising the states of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. As of the 2010 census the city had a population of 109,565, and in 2018 the population was estimated to be 112,525. The combined Manchester-Nashua Metropolitan Area had a 2010 population of 400,721.Manchester is, along with Nashua, one of two seats of Hillsborough County, the state's most populous. Manchester lies near the northern end of the Northeast megalopolis and straddles the banks of the Merrimack River. It was first named by the merchant and inventor Samuel Blodgett, namesake of Samuel Blodget Park and Blodget Street in the city's North End. His vision was to create a great industrial center similar to that of the original Manchester in England, which was the world's first industrialized city.Manchester often appears favorably in lists ranking the affordability and livability of U.S. cities, placing particularly high in small business climate, affordability, upward mobility, and education level.Merrimack River
The Merrimack River (or Merrimac River, an occasional earlier spelling) is a 117-mile-long (188 km) river in the northeastern United States. It rises at the confluence of the Pemigewasset and Winnipesaukee rivers in Franklin, New Hampshire, flows southward into Massachusetts, and then flows northeast until it empties into the Gulf of Maine at Newburyport. From Pawtucket Falls in Lowell, Massachusetts, onward, the Massachusetts–New Hampshire border is roughly calculated as the line three miles north of the river.
The Merrimack is an important regional focus in both New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The central-southern part of New Hampshire and most of northeast Massachusetts is known as the Merrimack Valley.
Several U.S. naval ships have been named USS Merrimack and USS Merrimac in honor of this river. The river is perhaps best known for the early American literary classic A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers by Henry David Thoreau.Neville archaeological site
Neville is an archaeological site on the bank of the Merrimack River in New Hampshire in the United States.
The first occupants arrived during the Middle Archaic (around 8000 years Before Present (BP)) and left around 5900 BP. However, people had been visiting the site for more than 8,000 years. The first occupation, termed the Neville Complex, houses the remains of the "Neville" stemmed points. These were "bifacial projectile points with carefully shaped tips and symmetrical bodies." Neville points are believed to be a variant of the Stanly stemmed points and are found from Maine to Connecticut. These points were made between 7800 BP and 7000 BP. Before 7000 BP, a new projectile point form had appeared. Dena Dincauze argues that Neville is a center for spring fishing and domestic activities and not hunting and plant processing. This is evidenced by the lack of hunting and plant processing tools.The Neville site shows that Middle Archaic people of the Northeastern United States had a relationship with cultures along the Atlantic coast and even farther to the south. Some of the Neville points and tools are related to older Archaic sites in the southeastern United States.
The Neville site is located on the east bank of the Merrimack River in Manchester, New Hampshire. The site was occupied during the Middle Archaic period from ca. 8000-5900 BP and is located close to the Amoskeag Falls, at 205 feet (62 m) above sea level. Because the river provided an almost endless supply of fish, the site's location was probably important in attracting the first foragers to camp at the site.Pine Tree Riot
The Pine Tree Riot was an act of resistance to British royal authority undertaken by American colonists in New Hampshire in 1772, placing it among the disputes between Crown and colonists that culminated in the American Revolution.By the late 17th century the construction and maintenance of the huge number of ships required to build and defend the British Empire left few trees in Britain suitable for use as large spars. Eastern white pines from colonial New England were superior timber for the single-stick masts and booms of the day. To maintain Britain's naval and trading advantage, laws were passed in North America to protect selected white pines for British shipbuilding. British success in the War of Jenkins' Ear (1739-1748) and the Seven Years' War (1756-1763) were due in large part to the control of the seas by the Royal Navy.Power canal
A Power Canal refers to a canal used for hydraulic power generation, rather than for transport of watercraft. The power canal was a major factor in the Industrial revolution in New England in the 19th century. Most early power canals were mill races used mechanically to transfer power directly from falling water to machinery in mill buildings. Later, the hydraulic power generated electricity locally for the same mill factories. These power canals were often filled in as electricity (transported by power lines) replaced the need for local water power, and road transport needs or city expansion needs reclaimed the land. Some hydraulic power canals were transformed into local electric generators, but most were closed. Remains of power canals can be seen in old mill towns and are often protected as historical structures today.Samuel Blodgett
Samuel Blodgett (sometimes spelled Blodget, and sometimes Samuel Blodgett, Sr. to distinguish him from descendants with the same name) was an early American lawyer, industrialist, and financier who founded the city of Manchester, New Hampshire.
As a lawyer, Blodgett served as a mediator between the sides in the Pine Tree Riot, getting a settlement from anti-Crown mill owners who had hired him to represent their case against the Royalist governor of New Hampshire John Wentworth in 1772. During the American Revolutionary War he firmly supported the patriot cause.
In 1807, Blodgett built a canal around Amoskeag Falls to aid in navigation of ships traveling up and down the Merrimack River. In 1810, he pushed for the renaming of the small rural town of Derryfield, New Hampshire to Manchester, in honor of Manchester in England, a well-known textile-manufacturing center. The renaming of the town, at Blodgett's behest, coincided with the founding of the Amoskeag Mills by his friend and fellow industrialist Benjamin Prichard. The town would later be incorporated as a city and become the most populous city in the state of New Hampshire.Smyth Tower
The Smyth Tower is a folly located on the grounds of the Manchester VA Medical Center at 718 Smyth Road in Manchester, New Hampshire. The fieldstone tower was built in 1888 by Frederick Smyth, and is the only surviving architectural structure related to his life. Smyth served as Governor of New Hampshire in 1865-67, and was an active promoter of veterans' issues in the post-Civil War period. The tower was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.