American Society for Quality
The American Society for Quality (ASQ), formerly the American Society for Quality Control (ASQC), is a knowledge-based global community of quality professionals, with nearly 80,000 members dedicated to promoting and advancing quality tools, principles, and practices in their workplaces and communities.
ASQC was established on February 16, 1946 by 253 members in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with George D. Edwards as its first president. The organization was first created as a way for quality experts and manufacturers to sustain quality-improvement techniques used during World War II.
In 1948, ASQC's Code of Ethics establishes standards for members to conduct their activities and business.
In 1997, the members of the organization voted to change its name from "American Society for Quality Control" to "American Society for Quality".
Today, ASQ is a global organization with members in more than 130 countries. ASQ operates regional centers in North Asia, South Asia, Latin America, the Middle East/Africa and has established strategic alliances with 28 organizations through the World Partners® Program in countries like Brazil, Canada, and the United Arab Emirates to promote ASQ products and training.
ASQ provides its members with certification, training, publications, conferences, and other services. Internationally, ASQ has formed relationships with nonprofit organizations that have comparable missions and principles, forming collaborative efforts to meet the quality needs of companies, individuals, and organizations. ASQ is a founding partner of the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), a quarterly economic indicator.
Since 1989, ASQ has administered the annual Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. The ASQ also gives the Dorian Shainin Medal, which is awarded annually for the "Development and Application of Creative or Unique Statistical Approaches in the Solving of Problems Relative to the Quality of Product or Service".
ASQ offers 18 professional certifications relating to various aspects of the quality profession. Exams are given nationally and, to a limited degree, worldwide several times annually. The body of knowledge for each certification is maintained through peer review every few years on a rotating schedule.
In 1968, the first ASQ certification was offered. 
In 2016, ASQ's certification exam delivery method changed from paper to computer based testing at Prometric nationwide testing facilities.
All certifications listed are from this reference  unless noted.
||Principle of product and service, quality evaluation, and control.
||Quality problem, analysis, inspection sampling plans and statistical process control applications.
||Principles of performance evaluation for product and system safety, reliability, and maintainability.
||American Society for Quality Reliability Division
||Hardware documentation, lab, and calibration procedures, inspection, process performance, data collection, and reports.
||Initially known as mechanical inspector.
||Standards and principles of auditing, questions, evaluations and reports for quality system adequacy.
||CMQ/OE (CQM: 1995-2005)
||Champions process improvement initiatives and supports strategic planning and deployment initiatives.
||Changed to Certified Manager of Quality/ Organizational Excellence in 2006 to reflect the broader scope of the quality manager's position.
||Software Quality Engineer
||Development of software processes, measurement, verification, and validation, analytical methods, and quality management.
||CHA since 2004
||Developed to test applicants knowledge of the HACCP standards.
||Changed to Certified HACCP Auditor in 2004.
||Designed to test basic knowledge of quality tools and their uses, along with involvement in quality improvement projects.
||Six Sigma Black Belt
||To demonstrate competency in Six Sigma methods.
||CBA since 2005.
||Understands principles of standards, regulations, directives, and guidance for auditing a biomedical system.
||Changed to Certified Biomedical Auditor in 2005.
||Tests, maintains, and repairs electrical, mechanical, electromechanical, analytical, and electronic measuring/recording equipment for conformance to established standards.
||Paraprofessional who analyzes and solves quality problems and is quality improvement projects.
||Six Sigma Green Belt
||Paraprofessional who works with process development and documentation, collects, and summarizes data, and creates, and interprets multivar studies.
||Pharmaceutical good manufacturing practices professional certification
||Tests applicant knowledge of principles as regulated and guided by national and international agencies.
||Six Sigma Master Black Belt
||To demonstrate master competency in six sigma methodology.
||Six Sigma Yellow Belt
||Participates as a project team member. Reviews process improvements that support the project.
||Supplier Quality Professional
||Works with an organization's supply chain and suppliers to continuously improve the performance of key system components by implementing process controls and developing quality assurance plans.
In a 2008 press release for the 40th anniversary of ASQ's certifications, the three most popular were the engineer (CQE), followed closely by the auditor (CQA) and the Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB).
ASQ publishes a range of magazines and journals:
- Quality Progress, ASQ’s flagship publication which appears monthly for more than 50 years. Each publication features in-depth articles describing the application of innovative methods and timely information about quality principles, tools, and techniques. The Quality Progress editorial staff strives to clearly present such material to readers, to stimulate discussion on what does and does not work, and provide the means by which individuals, organizations, and society can improve. Topics include knowledge management, process improvement, and organizational behavior. Full text access is available online from 1995-present to ASQ members and subscribers.
- Journal for Quality and Participation, ASQ's peer-reviewed journal which appears four times per year in January, April, July, and October. Each publication features articles related to the education market and are focused on the people side of quality, particularly employee involvement, facilitation, and teams. Full text access is available online from 1987-present.
- Journal of Quality Technology, ASQ's peer-reviewed journal which appears four times per year. Each publication features articles and papers that emphasize the practical applicability of new statistical techniques on design of experiments, process monitoring, reliability, and applied statistics. Papers present new methods, case study examples, comparisons of existing methods, and reviews of the literature on topics of current interest. Full text is available online from 1969-present to ASQ members and subscribers.
- Quality Engineering (Co-published with Taylor & Francis), ASQ's peer-reviewed journal which appears four times per year. It's written for professionals in all engineering and management fields interested in quality improvement focusing on comprehensive quality science applications throughout the entire economy and society. Each publication features articles on the latest thinking on quality control and quality assurance management, related physical technology, associated statistical tools, standards information, and more. Full text is available online from 1988-present.
- Quality Management Journal, ASQ's peer-reviewed journal which appears four times per year. It is considered is the first journal to link the efforts of academic researchers and quality management practitioners. Each publication aims to link the efforts of academic researchers and quality management practitioners by publishing significant research relevant to quality management practice and provide a forum for discussion of such research by academics and practitioners. Full text is available online from 1993-present to ASQ members and subscribers.
- Six Sigma Forum Magazine, ASQ's Six Sigma magazine which appears four times per year in February, May, August, and November. It's considered the first publication that addresses the specific needs of Six Sigma professions. Each publication features articles that provides a holistic view of Six Sigma, from the basics to the boardroom, by addressing the various professional development needs of Six Sigma Executives, Champions, Master Black Belts, Black Belts, Green Belts, and Yellow Belts. Full text access is available online from 2001-present.
- Software Quality Professional, ASQ's peer-reviewed journal which appears four times per year in December, March, June, and September. Each publication features articles that focus on applying quality principles to the development and use of software and software-based systems. It publishes case studies, experience-based reports, and state-of-the-art reviews to provide practitioners with an understanding of those software quality practices that have proven effective in a wide range of industries, applications, and organizational settings. Full text is available online from 1998-present.
- Technometrics (Co-published with the American Statistical Association), ASQ's statistics journal which appears four times per year. Each publication features articles that contribute to the development and use of statistical methods in the physical, chemical, and engineering sciences as well as information sciences and technology. It features papers that describe new statistical techniques; illustrate innovative applications of known statistical methods; or review methods, issues, or philosophy in a particular area of statistics or science. Full text is available online from 1959-present.
Division and Forum Publications:
- Quality Approaches in Higher Education
- Quality Management Forum
- Primers on Human Development and Leadership
ASQ hosts a number of quality events and annual conferences worldwide:
- ^ "The ASQ Timeline | ASQ". asq.org. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- ^ "ASQ Archives - A Brief History of ASQ". archives.library.illinois.edu. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- ^ AQL Inspector's Rule, accessed 28 November 2017
- ^ "World Partners® | ASQ". asq.org. Retrieved 2018-07-26.
- ^ "World Partners® | ASQ". asq.org. Retrieved 2018-07-26.
- ^ "ASQ Receives New Contract for Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award". asq.org. Retrieved 2018-07-26.
- ^ "Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award (MBNQA)". ASQ. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- ^ Brian Cazzell, Jeffrey M. Ulmer (May 2009). "Measuring Excellence: A Closer Look at Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award Winners in the Manufacturing Category". Journal of Technology Management & Innovation. 4 (1): 134–142. doi:10.4067/S0718-27242009000100012. ISSN 0718-2724.
- ^ "Shainin Medal - ASQ". Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- ^ a b Newcomb, William O. "ASQ Certification: A Brief History". Quality Progress. January 2010. p. 43.
- ^ "ASQ Certification at 50". ASQTV. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- ^ "Quality Certification Computer Based Testing by Prometric | ASQ". asq.org. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- ^ "Home". www.prometric.com. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Quality Engineer brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Quality Tehnician brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Reliability Engineer brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Quality Inspector brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Quality Auditor brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Software Quality Engineer borchure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified HACCP Auditor brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Quality Improvement Associate brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Six Sigma Black Belt brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Biomedical Auditor brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Calibration Technician brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Quality Process Analyst brochure – accessed 9 January 2010.
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Six Sigma Green Belt brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- ^ American Society for Quality Certified Pharmaceutical GMP Professional brochure – accessed 9 January 2010.
- ^ "Quality Certification - Get Professionally Certified - ASQ". Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- ^ "ASQ Issues 9,800 Certifications in Program Training Next Generation of Skilled Workers". asq.org. Retrieved 2018-07-26.
- ^ "Certified Supplier Quality Professional - How To Become CSQP Certified | ASQ". asq.org. Retrieved 2017-05-18.
- ^ "Magazines and Journals". ASQ. January 2018. Retrieved March 20, 2018.
- ^ "Quality Conferences and Events | ASQ". asq.org. Retrieved 2018-07-26.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.