Founded in 2000 by Jim Weidner, K2JXW, the Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society (ARLHS) is devoted to maritime communications, amateur radio, lighthouses, and lightships. Its members travel to lighthouses around the world where they operate amateur radio equipment at or near the light. Collecting lighthouse QSLs is popular for some amateur radio operators. ARLHS is a membership organization with over 1665 members worldwide as of July 2009.
A convention is held in October each year. In 2010 the gathering was in Biloxi, Mississippi. In earlier years it has been held in Solomons, Maryland, St. Simons, Georgia, Port Huron, Michigan, and other sites. Membership benefits include a newsletter, email reflector, awards program, lighthouse expedition sponsorship, certificates, embroidered shoulder patch, a list of every known light beacon in the world capable of supporting a ham station (over 15,000 entries at last count—see "World List of Lights" info below), and a web site at .
The ARLHS has been featured in national magazines, such as CQ and WordRadio. Jim Weidner is its founding President; and Jim Buffington, K5JIM, is Vice President. The club call sign is W7QF and the website is 
|Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society|
The ARLHS maintains a catalog of lighthouses called The World List of Lights (WLOL). Its main feature is a short, and easily transmitted identification number for each lighthouse. The WLOL lists any lighthouse that is or was an Aid to Navigation (ATN) and can reasonably accommodate an amateur radio operation. Lights that are no longer in existence, but were once an ATN, also show up on the list, designated as historical. With over 15,000 entries, the WLOL is one of the most complete lighthouse catalogs in existence.
The Ashland Harbor Breakwater lighthouse, also known as Ashland Breakwater Lighthouse, is an operational lighthouse located near Ashland in Ashland County, Wisconsin, USA. Located in Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior, it is owned and managed by the U.S. Coast Guard. It sits at the end of a long and detached breakwater, which creates an artificial harbor.A lighthouse keeper's quarters and a boathouse, constructed in 1916, are located about 2 miles (3.2 km) from the light. There are additional living quarters on the second and third stories of the lighthouse.Baileys Harbor Range Lights
The Baileys Harbor Range Lights are a pair of lighthouses arranged in a range light configuration, located near Baileys Harbor in Door County, Wisconsin, United States.Charity Island Light
Charity Island Light is a lighthouse on Big Charity Island in Lake Huron just off the coast of Au Gres, Northern Michigan.Cheboygan Crib Light
The Cheboygan Crib Light is a light that marks the west pier head of the mouth of the Cheboygan River into Lake Huron. The pier head, in the center of the municipality of Cheboygan, is located at the north or lake end of Huron Street, and is one of the centerpieces of Cheboygan's Gordon Turner Park.Chequamegon Point Light
The Chequamegon Point Lighthouse is a lighthouse located on Long Island, one of the Apostle Islands, in Lake Superior in Ashland County, Wisconsin, near the city of Bayfield.The Chequamegon Point light was maintained by the keeper of the La Pointe Light (about a mile away) and its original lens came from there. A boardwalk connected them, so light keepers could ride bicycles between the lights. It is currently owned by the National Park Service and part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
The lighthouse was moved back on to the shoreline after it was replaced by a modern D9 cylindrical tower (a "sewer pipe" with light and fog signal) constructed in 1986.In 1868 the original was established on Long Island's western end, marking the entrance to Chequamegon Bay and with it the towns of Washburn and Ashland.In 1896, it was replaced by a square, white steel room sitting on steel legs. The room is topped by an octagonal lantern with a red roof. The concept echoes that of Lake Huron's Alpena Light. There are also skeletal towers of various other designs in the western Great Lakes.In 1986, the Coast Guard moved the light back from the shore, where it was threatened by erosion.
Access is by walking from the dock at the La Pointe station along the beach.Copper Harbor Front Range Light
The Copper Harbor Front Range Light is in Copper Harbor, Michigan.
While the Copper Harbor Light effectively illuminated the area of the harbor, it failed to guide mariners through the narrow opening of rocks at its entrance. Construction on the range lights were completed in 1869.
According to US Government publication, "The American Practical Navigator", Chapter 5:
Range lights are light pairs that indicate a specific line of position when they are in line. The higher rear light is placed behind the front light. When the mariner sees the lights vertically in line, he is on the range line. If the front light appears left of the rear light, the observer is to the right of the range line; if the front appears to the right of the rear, the observer is left of the range line.
It is considered to be iconic, and has been the subject of memorabilia.Gibraltar Detached Mole ("B" Head) Lighthouse
The Gibraltar Detached Mole ("B" Head) Lighthouse is one of several lighthouses in Gibraltar, a British Overseas Territory at the south end of the Iberian Peninsula. The lighthouse is positioned west of the Rock of Gibraltar, on the Detached Mole at the south entrance to Gibraltar Harbour.Gibraltar Detached Mole ("C" Head) Lighthouse
The Gibraltar Detached Mole ("C" Head) Lighthouse is one of several lighthouses in Gibraltar, a British Overseas Territory at the south end of the Iberian Peninsula. The lighthouse is positioned west of the Rock of Gibraltar, on the Detached Mole at the north entrance to Gibraltar Harbour.Gibraltar South Mole Lighthouse
The Gibraltar South Mole Lighthouse is one of several lighthouses in Gibraltar, a British Overseas Territory at the south end of the Iberian Peninsula. Also known as the Gibraltar "A" Head Lighthouse, it has a cast-iron, skeletal tower which is painted black and features two galleries. The lighthouse remains operational and is positioned west of the Rock of Gibraltar, on the South Mole at Gibraltar Harbour. It is operated by the Gibraltar Port Authority.Grand Island Harbor Rear Range Light
The Grand Island Harbor Rear Range Light is a lighthouse located off M-28 in Munising Township, Michigan. It is also known as the Bay Furnace Rear Range Light, Christmas Rear Range Light, or End of the Road Light. The corresponding front range light was replaced in 1968; the rear range light was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. It is no longer an active aid to navigation.
The grounds only are publicly accessible, but a hike is required.Grand Marais Harbor of Refuge Inner and Outer Lights
The Grand Marais Harbor of Refuge Inner and Outer Lights are a pair of lighthouses located on the west pier at the entry to Grand Marais Harbor of Refuge, in Grand Marais, Michigan. They were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.List of lighthouses in Gibraltar
Most of the lighthouses in Gibraltar, the British Overseas Territory on the Iberian Peninsula, are located at Gibraltar Harbour. Perhaps the most notable exception is the Europa Point Lighthouse at Europa Point, a strategic location at the southern tip of the peninsula of Gibraltar. Prior to the opening of that lighthouse in 1841, sailors navigating the Strait of Gibraltar near Europa Point were dependent upon the light emitted by the Shrine of Our Lady of Europe. The sailors showed their gratitude and encouraged continued burning of the lights in the chapel and adjacent tower by leaving supplies of oil at the Roman Catholic shrine. While the shrine's tower is not listed in nautical publications, its history as an aid to navigation in earlier centuries is sufficiently well known that many consider it "Gibraltar's first lighthouse."Aside from the aerobeacon on the Rock of Gibraltar and the lighthouse at Europa Point, all of the lighthouses in Gibraltar are located within the harbour. They may be divided into two groups: west and east. Those on the western boundary of the port are positioned in a roughly linear arrangement on the breakwaters (moles) that defend the western and northern sides of the harbour. The lighthouses at the "A" Head of the South Mole and "B" Head of the Detached Mole stand sentry over the south entrance to the port. Those at the "C" Head of the Detached Mole and "D" Head of the Western Arm of the North Mole guard the north entrance to the port. The lighthouse at the "E" Head (Elbow) of the North Mole also serves as a harbour control room. Lighthouses on the eastern boundary of the port are clustered near Coaling Island. While the Europa Point Lighthouse, also known as Victoria Tower, opened in the mid nineteenth century, the remaining lighthouses are of more recent vintage, with the lighthouses on the moles present by 1916. In addition, while Victoria Tower is of classic British design, the other lighthouses have a more utilitarian appearance.McGulpin Point Light
McGulpin Point Light was constructed as a navigational aid through the Straits of Mackinac. The light began operation in 1869, making it one of the oldest surviving lighthouses in the Straits. Only in operation until 1906, the light is located on McGulpin Point, (500 Headlands Road), approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Fort Michilimackinac.
McGulpin Point Lighthouse & Historic Site has been owned by Emmet County since 2008 and the facility has been an official private Aid to Navigation on the NOAA chart map since 2009. Tours were available during the 2019 season for a small fee.Pilot Island Light
The Pilot Island Light is a lighthouse located near Gills Rock, on Pilot Island at the east end of Death's Door passage, in Door County, Wisconsin.
The building's plant is similar to Pottawatomie Light, but this is brick instead of stone. Until 1910 it was called Port des Morts Island Light. The original fog signal building was converted to a second assistant lighthouse keeper's residence in 1900.Port Austin Light
Port Austin Lighthouse (or Port Austin Reef Light) is a lighthouse off the shore of Lake Huron, about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) north of Port Austin, Huron County Michigan sitting on a rocky reef (shoal), which is just north of the tip of the Thumb and a real hazard to navigation.Sand Point Light
The Sand Point Lighthouse is located in Escanaba, Michigan, United States, on Lake Michigan's northern shore. Since 1989, it has been an unofficial aid to navigation. Though it is an operational aid to navigation. The restored lighthouse is now open to the public during the summer months. It is also known as the Escanaba/Sand Point (Little Bay de Noc) Light or the Escanaba Light.This Sand Point Light is one of two bearing that name in Michigan. The other is in Baraga.South Gare Lighthouse
South Gare Lighthouse was built in 1884 at the end of the breakwater at South Gare north west of Redcar in North Yorkshire and in north eastern England.Turtle Island Light
When Turtle Island fell back to federal ownership, the newly established Port of Toledo received $5,000 of federal funding from Congress to build the Turtle Island Lighthouse in 1831. At the time, the island's area was approximately 6.67 acres (2.70 ha), and the island included the lighthouse, the lighthouse keeper's residence, and a small farm.Unlike most islands in Lake Erie, Turtle Island consists primarily of clay and gravel deposits and was subjected to constant erosion, which is why some believed it to not be a real island. By 1839, lake storms and waves reduced the island by approximately 77% down to an area of only 1.5 acres (0.61 ha). Congress spent tens of thousands of dollars to no avail to prevent the erosion of the island. In 1866, an updated lighthouse costing $12,000 was constructed. It was described as one of the finest lighthouses on the Great Lakes, and its light could be seen up to 14 miles (23 km) away. However, the erosion of the island continued to threaten the lighthouse to the point where a 4-foot (1.2 m) tall concrete wall was constructed in 1883 around the lighthouse to prevent crashing waves and erosion from damaging the structure. Constant lake storms bombarded the tiny island. When the nearby Toledo Harbor Light was completed in 1904, the Turtle Island Lighthouse was no longer needed and was decommissioned after having cost the United States an untold amount of money to continuously maintain over the past 72 years. During those 72 years, there were no shipwrecks within the vicinity of Turtle Island.There were two keepers of the lighthouse: Ann Edson (1869–1870) and William Haynes (1875–1904).Vaindloo
Vaindloo (alternately: Vaindloo saar, Swedish: Stenskär) is a small island located in the Gulf of Finland in the Baltic Sea. It belongs to Estonia, and is the northernmost land point of the country.
Vaindloo has an area of 6.2 hectares (15 acres) and marks the northernmost point of the nation of Estonia, situated 26 kilometers (16 mi) north of the Estonian mainland. The island is administered by the community of Vihula in Lääne-Viru County and is an important breeding sanctuary for such birds as the common tern, Arctic tern, Tengmalm's owl, great tit, purple sandpiper, shore lark, great grey shrike, yellowhammer and others.Vaindloo is also notable for its functioning lighthouse, called the Vaindloo tuletorn, it was built in 1871 and is managed by the Estonian Maritime Administration. A previous lighthouse constructed of timber was erected on Vaindloo in 1718. In addition to the lighthouse, there is a station of the Estonian Border Guard with a 50-meter-high (160 ft) observation tower and a radar on the island.