Allegheny City (1788–1907) was a Pennsylvania municipality, now reorganized and merged into the modern city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Allegheny City was a right bank municipality located west across the Allegheny River from downtown Pittsburgh, with its southwest border formed by the Ohio River and is known today as the North Side of Pittsburgh. It was annexed by Pittsburgh in 1907. Its waterfront district, along the Allegheny and Ohio rivers, is known as Pittsburgh's North Shore — it is along the north side of the confluence of the Allegheny River with the Monongahela, where they form the Ohio River — the locale achieved fame as the riverside site of Three Rivers Stadium.
The area of Allegheny City included the present Pittsburgh neighborhoods of Allegheny Center, Allegheny West, Brighton Heights, California-Kirkbride, Central Northside, Chateau, East Allegheny, Fineview, Manchester, Marshall-Shadeland, North Shore, Northview Heights, Perry North, Perry South, Spring Garden, Spring Hill–City View, Summer Hill, and Troy Hill.
|Elevation||1,370 ft (420 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
15212, 15214, 15233
The City of Allegheny was laid out in 1788 according to a plan by John Redick. The lots were sold in Philadelphia by the State government or given as payment to white Revolutionary War veterans. It was incorporated as a borough in 1828 and as a city in 1840. Prior to the 1850s, most of the area was still largely farmland, but was subdivided into residential lots, first for the growing German population and later for Croat immigrants. It was commonly referred to as "Deutschtown," derived from the German word Deutsch, referring to the language and ethnicity.
The annexation of Allegheny City by Pittsburgh began in 1906 and was effected in 1907, authorized by the U.S. Supreme Court in a landmark decision Hunter v. City of Pittsburgh that year. It was approved by the United States Government in 1911. The annexation was controversial at the time, as an overwhelming majority of Allegheny City residents were opposed to the merger. Previous Pennsylvania law had directed that a majority of the voters in each merging municipality had to approve an annexation agreement. In 1906, the State Assembly passed a new law that authorized annexations if a majority of the total voters in both combined municipalities approved the merger. The annexation was rejected by the residents of Allegheny City by a 2:1 margin, but was approved by much more populous Pittsburgh residents, and the annexation bill passed into law. Allegheny City residents tried unsuccessfully for years to have the annexation overturned in court.
The population of Pittsburgh rose from 321,616 in 1900 to 533,905 in 1910, which included the 132,283 who lived in Allegheny in 1910, when the last separate census of Allegheny was taken.
When the two cities were joined, both of the old ward systems were discarded. A new ward system was established made up of 27 wards. In the new ward system, Allegheny was divided into wards 21 to 27. Its past territory is easily seen by viewing a map of the city wards.
In the 1960s Pittsburgh undertook a massive urban redevelopment project that demolished the historic core of Allegheny City, leaving only the Commons of Allegheny Center and its surrounding neighborhoods. The Carnegie Library, the Old Post Office Building, and the Buhl Planetarium buildings were not demolished. Major portions of the neighborhoods of Allegheny West, Manchester, Central Northside, California-Kirkbride (Old Allegheny Rows), and East Allegheny are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including the Mexican War Streets in Central Northside.
Allegheny was an industrial city and had numerous commercial areas, churches, and social organizations, packing houses, tanneries, soap factories and glue factories that provided opportunities for employment to the primarily German immigrants who settled there. The H.J. Heinz Company built its factory in Allegheny City, close to the Chestnut Street bridge (this has been replaced by the 16th Street Bridge). Heyl & Patterson Inc., a manufacturer of railcar dumpers and ship unloaders, also established a factory in Allegheny City. The surviving structures are now occupied by a furniture warehouse and a bus garage.
By the middle of the nineteenth century, the "Made in Allegheny" label could be found not only on basic iron but on rope, plows, cotton cloth, wool, food, paper, paint, steam engines, wagons and carts, meat, soap, candles, lumber, linseed oil, furniture and a host of other diversified products. Railroad lines were built along the north side of the Allegheny for the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago and the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis railroads in Allegheny City. When workers in Pittsburgh struck against the Pennsylvania Railroad after wage cuts in July 1877, railroad workers on these lines also went on strike.
The Teutonia Männerchor Hall in the East Allegheny (Deutschtown) neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is a building constructed in 1888. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. The Teutonia Männerchor is a private membership club with the purpose of furthering choral singing, German cultural traditions and good fellowship. The club features a number of heritage activities and celebrations, including choral singing in German and folk dancing.
The Priory is really two historic landmarks – the 1852 St. Mary's German Catholic Church and the adjacent 1888 home for Bavarian Benedictine priests and brothers. Once a largely German parish, the church later merged with nearby Italian and Polish congregations. The church and rectory have since closed. The buildings are operated as a banquet hall and a bed-and-breakfast.
Although Penn Brewery began in 1987, it is housed in the old Eberhardt & Ober Brewery (1882–1906) buildings. Penn Brewery makes the award-winning Penn Pilsner and a number of other specialty beers. The "tied house" (brewery owned restaurant) features a full German menu and live music.
Saint Nicholas Croatian Catholic Church, nestled in the hillside above the Allegheny River, was the first Croatian Church built in the United States. The structure was razed in January 2013.
Ridge Avenue, in its heyday between 1890 and 1910, was known as "Millionaires' Row". After 20 years, the area began to decline as some residents moved further out. The entire North Side community began to fray after having been annexed by Pittsburgh in 1907.
In the late 19th century, Allegheny became known for its stately homes, occupied by some of the area's wealthy families. One such area became known as The Mexican War Streets.
The Mexican War Streets were laid out in 1847 by William Robinson Jr., who had earlier been mayor of the city of Allegheny. Robinson, who contrary to some popular tellings did not actually serve in the Mexican War, subdivided his land and named the new streets after the battles and generals (Buena Vista Street, Filson Way, Monterey Street, Palo Alto Street, Resaca Place, Sherman Avenue, Taylor Avenue) of that war.
Through his foundation matching fund, Andrew Carnegie contributed to the financing and construction of a Carnegie Free Public Library in Allegheny City.
St Anthony Chapel
Built on Troy Hill between 1880 & 1892 by Father Suitbert Mollinger, the chapel houses the largest collection of religious relics outside of the Vatican and features life sized Stations of the Cross statues.
Allegheny was the location of Exposition Park, the home field of the professional baseball team named the Pittsburgh Pirates (originally called the Pittsburgh Alleghenies and Pittsburgh Innocents). Today, the North Side of Pittsburgh houses PNC Park, home of the Pittsburgh Pirates, and Heinz Field, home of the Pittsburgh Steelers. These facilities replaced Three Rivers Stadium, which was the shared home of both teams.
The Felix Brunot mansion on Stockton Avenue was once used as a station on the Underground Railroad. Fugitive slaves from the South stopped here for food and shelter. While Pennsylvania was a free state, many slaves continued to Canada to gain more distance from slavecatchers.
The original Allegheny Observatory was built in 1859 near Perrysville Avenue, by prominent Allegheny citizens who formed the Allegheny Telescope Association. The association donated the observatory to the Western University of Pennsylvania (now the University of Pittsburgh) in 1867, after which it was used for astrophysical, solar, and planetary studies. The observatory maintained a successful subscription time service to railroads via telegraph for many years. A new Allegheny Observatory was built between 1900–1912 in today's Riverview Park. It is owned and operated by the University of Pittsburgh for education, astronomical research, and public lectures and tours.
The 1898 Western Pennsylvania All-Star football team was a collection of early football players, from several teams in the area, to form an all-star team. The team was formed by Dave Berry, the manager of the Latrobe Athletic Association, for the purpose of playing the Duquesne Country and Athletic Club, which fielded a team composed of many of the game's stars from the era. The game between the two clubs ended in a 16-0 Duquesne victory and is considered to be the very first all-star game for professional football. Contrary to popular belief, while the game was held at Exposition Park, which would be currently located inside of the city limits of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the 1898 location of the game was Allegheny, Pennsylvania which was not incorporated into the city of Pittsburgh until 1907.1903 Pittsburgh Pirates season
The 1903 Pittsburgh Pirates season was the 22nd year the Pittsburgh Pirates played in Major League Baseball. The club finished their season as National League champions, beating the second-place New York Giants by 6½ games. They went on to participate in the 1903 World Series, the first to be played between the champions of the National League and American League. The Pirates started off well, winning 3 of the first four games, but the Boston Americans won the last four straight to win the series five games to three. The Pirates set a record of 52 consecutive innings without allowing the opposing team to score a run, a record that still stands today.Allegheny, Pennsylvania (disambiguation)
Allegheny, Pennsylvania could refer to:
Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, which was annexed by the city of Pittsburgh
the neighborhood of Allegheny Commons (Pittsburgh)
the neighborhood of Allegheny Center in Pittsburgh
Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
the neighborhood of Allegheny West (Pittsburgh)
the neighborhood of East Allegheny (Pittsburgh)
the neighborhood of Allegheny West, PhiladelphiaAllegheny County, Pennsylvania
Allegheny County () is a county in the southwest of the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. As of 2017 the population was 1,223,048, making it the state's second-most populous county, following Philadelphia County. The county seat is Pittsburgh.
Allegheny County is included in the Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area, and in the Pittsburgh Designated Market Area.
Allegheny was Pennsylvania's first to bear a Native American name, being named after the Allegheny River. The word "Allegheny" is of Lenape origin, with uncertain meaning. It is usually said to mean "fine river", but sometimes said to refer to an ancient mythical tribe called "Allegewi" that lived along the river before being destroyed by the Lenape.Charles McClure
Charles McClure (1804 – January 10, 1846) was a Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania.
Charles McClure was born on Willow Grove farm, near Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Dickinson College in Carlisle in 1824. He studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1826 and practiced. He was a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in 1835.
McClure was elected as a Democrat to the Twenty-fifth Congress. He was elected to the Twenty-sixth Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of William S. Ramsey. He served as secretary of state of Pennsylvania from 1843 to 1845, and was active in promoting the public-school system of Pennsylvania. He died in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, in 1846, and is interred in Allegheny Cemetery in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.Chicago Browns/Pittsburgh Stogies
The Chicago Browns/Pittsburgh Stogies (also known as Chicago/Pittsburgh) were a short-lived professional baseball team in the Union Association of 1884. They were to battle the Chicago White Stockings, of the National League, for the Chicago baseball market; however, the Browns lost that battle to the White Stockings. After a Baltimore mattress maker gave the club a degree of financial support, the Browns then tried to entice the White Stockings' Larry Corcoran, one of the 1880s top pitchers, to join the team. However, the club did not succeed in doing so. The Chicago Browns disbanded after a game on August 22, 1884. The club then moved to Pittsburgh and became the Stogies, which disbanded after a game played on September 18, 1884. Many of the club's players then joined the Baltimore Monumentals. Altogether, they won 41 games, lost 50 (including one forfeit), and tied 2, finishing sixth in the twelve-team league.
While in Chicago, they played their home games at the first South Side Park. After they moved to Pittsburgh, their home games were played at Exposition Park, which was located in Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
The Union Association officially folded on January 15, 1885 after only one season in existence.Chronicle-Telegraph Cup
The Chronicle-Telegraph Cup was the trophy awarded to the winner of a postseason competition in American professional baseball in 1900. The series, played only once, was a precursor to the current World Series.
The Pittsburgh Pirates finished in second place, 4.5 games behind the Brooklyn Superbas, in the 1900 National League season (the only Major League in American baseball at the time). Fans of the Pittsburgh club felt their club was every bit the equal of the Brooklyn nine. While Brooklyn led the league in offense, Pirates fans claimed their team, which led the NL in strikeouts and ERA, boasted the pitching to best Brooklyn. A local newspaper, the Pittsburgh Chronicle Telegraph, offered to award a silver cup to the winner of a best-of-five series between the two teams.
Despite the series being held in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, which was annexed into Pittsburgh in 1907, the Superbas prevailed, 3–1. The teams were evenly matched in most statistical categories — both totaled 15 runs apiece, batted about .230 and had comparable numbers of extra-base hits (neither team hit any home runs) and walks. Both teams' ERAs were below 1.30.
However, Pittsburgh committed 14 errors to Brooklyn's 4, letting the Superbas win by comfortable margins. Three unearned runs in the top of the sixth inning of Game 2 allowed the Superbas to break a 1–1 tie, and Pirates pitcher Sam Leever's crucial fourth-inning error in Game 4 broke the game open for Brooklyn. A 10–0 blowout behind Deacon Phillippe's six-hitter in Game 3 gave the Pirates their only win in the series.
Pirates' outfielder Honus Wagner led his team in batting average (.400), hits (6), doubles (1), RBIs (3) and stolen bases (2). Brooklyn's Wee Willie Keeler also cranked out 6 hits to lead his club, posting a .353 average. The Superbas' Fielder Jones had 4 RBIs.
The Pirates won the next three National League pennants and played in the inaugural World Series in 1903. The Brooklyn baseball club did not win another postseason series until 1955, their first World Series championship.Dutch Jordan
Adolf Otto Jordan (January 5, 1880 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – December 23, 1972 in W.Allegheny, Pennsylvania), is a former professional baseball player who played second base for the Brooklyn Superbas during the 1903 and 1904 baseball seasons.Gentle Annie (song)
"Gentle Annie" is a popular American song written by Stephen Foster in 1856. Tradition has that it was written in honor of Annie Jenkins, the daughter of a grocer in Federal Street, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, named Morgan Jenkins. However, Foster's biographer and niece, Evelyn Foster Morneweck, disputes this and states that it is probably written in honor of his cousin, Annie Evans, who died shortly before it was composed. Some sources say it is Foster's farewell to his maternal grandmother, Annie Pratt McGinnis Hart. His paternal grandmother was Ann Barclay.Henry Wilson Temple
Henry Wilson Temple (March 31, 1864 – January 11, 1955) was a Progressive and a Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania.
Temple was born in Belle Center, Ohio. He graduated from Geneva College in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, in 1883, and from the Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, in 1887. Before his ordination to the ministry, he worked at Reformed Presbyterian congregations in and around Mankato, Kansas. After his ordination, he served as the pastor of churches in Jefferson County, Leechburg, and Washington, Pennsylvania. He worked as professor of political science at Washington and Jefferson College in Washington, Pennsylvania, from 1898 to 1913.
Temple was elected as a Progressive to the Sixty-third Congress. He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection to succeed himself in 1914. However, he was elected as a Republican to the Sixty-fourth Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of William Brown, and was reelected to the Sixty-fifth and to the seven succeeding Congresses. He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1932. He worked as professor of international relations in Washington and Jefferson College from 1933 until his retirement in 1947. He died in Washington, Pennsylvania, and is buried in Washington Cemetery.List of baseball parks in Pittsburgh
This is a list of venues used for professional baseball in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The information is a synthesis of the information contained in the references listed.
Note: Allegheny, Pennsylvania, the "North Side", was a separate city until 1908. The ball club changed its formal name from "Allegheny" to "Pittsburg(h)" in 1887, although the team remained physically located in the city of Allegheny.
Allegheny - Independent (1876), joined International Association (1877–1878)
Allegheny/Pittsburgh - American Association (1884–1886), moved to National League (1887–1890)
Location: buildings and Allegheny Avenue (west, third base); Pennsylvania Avenue (north, left field); Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway (now Norfolk Southern Fort Wayne Line) (northeast, center field); buildings and Grant (now Galveston) Avenue (east, right field); Boquet (now Behan) Street (south, first base)
Currently: BusinessesExposition Park
Pittsburgh Stogies - Union Association (1884)
Pittsburgh Burghers - Players' League (1890)
Allegheny - American Association (1882–1883)
Pittsburgh Pirates - National League (1891 – mid-1909)
Pittsburgh - Pennsylvania State League (1892)
Pittsburgh Stogies/Rebels - Federal League (1913 as minor league, 1914–1915 as major league)
Location: South Avenue (north, first base) - corresponds to the current General Robinson Street; School Avenue (later Scotland Avenue, now Tony Dorsett Drive) (east, third base); railroad tracks and Allegheny River (south, left field) - just east of the future site of Three Rivers Stadium
Currently: Parking lot for Heinz FieldForbes Field
Pittsburgh Pirates - NL (mid-1909 to mid-1970)
Homestead Grays - Negro Leagues (1922–1939)
Pittsburgh Crawfords - Negro Leagues (1933–1938)
Location: Oakland district - Boquet Street (southwest, first base); Sennott Street (northwest, third base), Joncaire Street (south, right field); Schenley Park (northeast, left/center fields)
Currently: Park and buildings for University of PittsburghAmmon Field aka Ammons Field
Pittsburgh Crawfords - Negro Leagues (1920s and 1930s)
Homestead Grays - Negro Leagues
Location: 2217 Bedford Avenue (south); Somers Drive (east)
Currently: playground and Josh Gibson Field diamondsGreenlee Field
Occupant: Pittsburgh Crawfords - Negro Leagues (1932–1938)
Location: 2501 Bedford Avenue (south, first base); Municipal Hospital (now Garden of Hope) (east, right field)
Currently: Bedford Dwellings housing projectThree Rivers Stadium
Occupants: Pittsburgh Pirates - NL (mid-1970 – 2000)
Location: 600 Stadium Circle
Currently: Parking lot for Heinz FieldPNC Park
Occupant: Pittsburgh Pirates - NL (2001–present)
Location: 115 Federal Street - Federal Street (east, left field); General Robinson Street (north, third base); Mazeroski Way (west, first base); North Shore Trail and Allegheny River (south, right field)List of mayors of Allegheny, Pennsylvania
This is a list of mayors of the Pittsburgh suburb and "twin city" of Allegheny, Pennsylvania which was annexed by Pittsburgh in 1907 and is currently the North Side of the city.Pittsburgh Burghers
The Pittsburgh Burghers were a baseball team in the Players' League, a short-lived Major League that existed only for the 1890 season. The team included a number of players who had jumped from the National League's Pittsburgh Alleghenys (now the Pittsburgh Pirates), including Hall of Famers Pud Galvin, Ned Hanlon, and Jake Beckley. Hanlon served as the team's manager. Meanwhile, John Tener, who would go on to represent Pittsburgh in the United States Congress and be elected the 25th Governor of Pennsylvania, finished his pitching career with the Burghers in 1890. Later Tener would become the president of the National League, and a director of the Philadelphia Phillies.
In its only season, the Burghers finished in 6th place with a 60-68 record. Hall Of Fame first baseman Jake Beckley was a powerhouse slugger for the Burghers. He hit .324 with 10 home runs and 120 RBIs. In addition, he led the PL by hitting 22 triples. But even Beckley's fine work could not overcome the weak hitting of the Pittsburgh team in general. The Burghers finished tied for the worst batting average in the loop with a .260 mark. The team played at the Alleghenies' former home, Exposition Park. The stadium and the team was located in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, which was not incorporated into the city of Pittsburgh until 1907. The area is currently known today as the North Side of Pittsburgh, and the site of Exposition Park was later used for Three Rivers Stadium.
In an indirect way, it can be argued that the Burghers, alone among the old Players' League franchises, still exist today. Nearly all of the Alleghenys' stars had jumped to the upstart league. The remains of the Alleghenys made a wretched showing, finishing with what is still the worst record in franchise history (and the second-worst in National League history). The resulting drain on attendance led Alleghenys owner Dennis McKnight to return his franchise to the National League. He then joined the Burghers' ownership group as a minority owner. This group repurchased the Pittsburgh National League franchise under a different corporate name, thus allowing them to legally regain title to most of the players who had bolted to the Players' League a year earlier. It is this franchise that forms the current ownership lineage of today's Pirates. In fact, the Pirates nickname can also be traced back to this Burgher episode. On reacquiring the National League franchise, the new owners scooped up Lou Bierbauer, a second baseman from the Brooklyn Ward's Wonders of the defunct Players' League, inadvertently left off the roster of the American Association's Philadelphia Athletics, who as his prior team claimed his rights. This led an AA official to denounce the Alleghenys' actions as "piratical"—an accusation that led the Alleghenys to rename themselves the Pirates for the next season.Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works
The Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works was a railroad equipment manufacturing company founded by Andrew Carnegie and T.N. Miller in 1865. It was located in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh and since 1907 part of that city.
It repaired an early locomotive known as Bausman's Rhinoceros in April 1867.
Starting in the 1870s under its superintendent and general manager Daniel A. Wightman, it became known for its production of large locomotives. Its engines were shipped around the world, including India and Japan.
By 1901, when Pittsburgh had merged with seven other manufacturing companies to form American Locomotive Company (ALCO), Pittsburgh had produced over 2,400 locomotives. In March 1919, ALCO closed the Pittsburgh facility.Port Allegany, Pennsylvania
Port Allegany is a borough in McKean County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,355 at the 2000 census.
The town's tree-lined streets lie in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, 30 miles west of the Allegheny River's headwaters.Sam Bankhead
Samuel Howard Bankhead (September 18, 1910 – July 24, 1976) was an American baseball player in the Negro Leagues. He played from 1931 to 1951. He also played for the Dragones de Ciudad Trujillo along with Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson. In 1951, he became the first black coach in Minor League Baseball when he was a player-manager for the Farnham Pirates of the Provincial League. He played in several East-West all-star games from 1933 to 1946.At age 26, Bankhead married Helen M. Hall on 25 February 1937 in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. He died in Allegheny in July 1976.His brothers Joe, Fred, and Garnett all also played in the Negro Leagues, and his brother Dan played Major League Baseball.The Case of Jennie Brice
The Case of Jennie Brice is a crime novel by the American writer Mary Roberts Rinehart (1876–1956) set in 1904 in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, which has been a part of the city of Pittsburgh since 1907.William F. Knox
William Francis Knox (January 29, 1885 – December 21, 1975) was an American football player and coach and lawyer. He played college football for Yale University and was selected as a first-team All-American halfback in 1906. He was the head coach of the 1907 Yale football team which finished the season with a record of 9–0–1. He later became an attorney and was a founder and member of the Pittsburgh law firm of Moorhead & Knox.William Robinson Jr.
William Robinson Jr. (17 December 1785 – 25 February 1868) was a politician, business executive, and militia general from Allegheny, Pennsylvania, now the North Side of Pittsburgh. He was the first mayor of Allegheny and a state legislator.