Alfred Theodore Andreas (May 29, 1839 – February 10, 1900) was an American book publisher and historian.
Alfred Theodore Andreas
|Birth name||Alfred Theodore Andreas|
|Born||May 29, 1839|
Amity, Orange County, New York
|Died||February 10, 1900 (aged 60)|
New Rochelle, New York
Oakdale Memorial Gardens, Davenport, Iowa
|Years of service||1861–1865|
|Unit||12th Illinois Infantry, Company G|
|Battles/wars||American Civil War|
(m. 1865; death 1900)
|Other work||Book publisher|
After acquiring an education, he moved to Dubuque, Iowa, where he taught school for some years and conducted business. In 1860, he moved to Illinois. He enlisted in Company G, 12th Illinois Infantry and served through the American Civil War, rising through the ranks to become a division commissary, serving with Sherman on the March to the Sea and the Carolina campaigns. After peace was restored, he moved to Davenport, Iowa, married and for several years was engaged in compiling and publishing county and State atlases, in partnership with John Milton Lyter, who became mayor in 1870. In 1875, he completed and published his greatest work, which was an "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Iowa." It was accurate and became an official authority for real estate dealers, county and State officers. Although many made him substantial profit, others, including his Minnesota and Indiana atlases, were financial failures. Later Andreas moved to Chicago and organized the “Western Historical Company,” and took up historical writing, publishing a three-volume History of Chicago. He died at New Rochelle, New York, on February 10, 1900.
Andreas (Greek: Ἀνδρέας) is a name usually given to males in Austria, Greece, Cyprus, Denmark, Armenia, Finland, Flanders, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, Romania, and the Netherlands. The name derives from the Greek noun ἀνήρ anir – with genitive ἀνδρός andros –, which means "man" (i.e. male human being). See article on Andrew for more information. Also in regard to the name Andreas, it may be used in the feminine as Andrea, which is instead the main male form in Italy and the canton of Ticino in Switzerland.Blue Island, Illinois
Blue Island is a city in Cook County, Illinois, located approximately 16 miles (26 km) south of Chicago's Loop. Blue Island is adjacent to the city of Chicago and shares its northern boundary with that city's Morgan Park neighborhood. The population was 23,706 at the 2010 United States Census.
Blue Island was established in the 1830s as a way station for settlers traveling on the Vincennes Trace, and the settlement prospered because it was conveniently situated a day's journey outside of Chicago. The late-nineteenth-century historian and publisher Alfred T. Andreas made the following observation regarding the appearance of the young community in History of Cook County Illinois (1884), "The location of Blue Island Village is a beautiful one. Nowhere about Chicago is there to be found a more pleasant and desirable resident locality."Since its founding, the city has been an important commercial center in the south Cook County region, although its position in that respect has been eclipsed in recent years as other significant population centers developed around it and the region's commercial resources became spread over a wider area. In addition to its broad long-standing industrial base, the city enjoyed notable growth in the 1840s during the construction of the feeder canal (now the Calumet Sag Channel) for the Illinois and Michigan Canal and as the center of a large brick-making industry beginning in the 1850s, which eventually gave Blue Island the status of brick-making capitol of the world. Beginning in 1883, Blue Island was also host to the car shops of the Rock Island Railroad. Blue Island was home to several breweries, who used the east side of the hill to store their product before the advent of refrigeration, until the Eighteenth Amendment made these breweries illegal in 1919. A large regional hospital and two major clinics are also located in the city.
Although initially settled by "Yankee" stock, Blue Island has been the point of entry for many of America's immigrants, beginning in the 1840s with the arrival of a large German population that remained a prominent part of the city's ethnic makeup for many years. By 1850, half of Blue Island's population was either foreign-born or the children of foreign-born residents. Later, significant groups came from Italy, Poland, Sweden and Mexico.
The city is one of eleven incorporated areas in Illinois to have been designated by the White House as a "Preserve America" community.Chicago Fire of 1874
Not to be confused with the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.The Chicago Fire of 1874 was a conflagration in Chicago, Illinois, that took place on July 14, 1874. Reports of the extent of the damage vary somewhat, but sources generally agree that the fire burned forty-seven acres just south of the Loop, destroyed 812 structures and killed 20 people. The affected neighborhood had been home to Chicago's community of Jewish immigrants from Russia and Poland, as well as to a significant population of middle-class African-American families; both ethnic groups were displaced in the aftermath of the fire to other neighborhoods on the city's West and South Sides.
The fire insurance industry's National Board of Underwriters responded to the fire by demanding widespread changes in Chicago's fire prevention and firefighting efforts, and ultimately encouraged fire insurers to cancel all coverage of buildings in the city in October. Many insurers did halt their activities in Chicago, and only returned to issuing policies in the city after the municipal government adopted many of the suggested reforms.Christ Episcopal Church (Red Wing, Minnesota)
The parish of Christ Episcopal Church in Red Wing, Minnesota, United States, was founded in 1858. A wooden building was erected that served the early parish well, but by 1868 it was felt that the growth of the parish made the building of a larger church a necessity.
In the autumn of that year work began on the new building, constructed in Gothic Revival style following plans furnished by New York architect Henry C. Dudley.
D.C. Hill was contracted to do the basic carpentry work; George H. Davis provided the finished carpentry (seats, columns, tracery, wainscoting; all of butternut finished in oil).
G.A. Carlson carried out the stonework with magnesian limestone from his quarries.
The windows were furnished by a ”Mr. Sharpe from New York.”The cornerstone was laid June 24, 1869 and the new church was consecrated by Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple on December 19, 1871. (Due to concerns about the foundations, the steeple was not added until 1897.)The church is now a contributing property to the Red Wing Mall Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Oakdale Memorial Gardens
Oakdale Memorial Gardens, formerly Oakdale Cemetery, is located in east-central Davenport, Iowa, United States. It contains a section for the burial of pets called the Love of Animals Petland. In 2015, the cemetery was listed as an historic district on the National Register of Historic Places, and as a local landmark on the Davenport Register of Historic Properties. It is also listed on the Network to Freedom, a National Park Service registry for sites associated with the Underground Railroad.Philip Van Patten
Simon Philip Van Patten (1852–1918), known by his middle name of "Philip," was an American socialist political activist prominent during the latter half of the 1870s and the first half of the 1880s. Van Patten is best remembered for being named the first Corresponding Secretary of the Workingmen's Party of the United States in 1876 and for heading it and its successor organization, the Socialist Labor Party of America, for the next six years. In 1883 Van Patten mysteriously disappeared, with his friends reporting him as a potential suicide to law enforcement authorities. He later turned up as a government employee, however, having abandoned radical politics in favor of stable employment.Robert Seyfarth
Robert Seyfarth ( SY-fərth) was an American architect based in Chicago, Illinois. He spent the formative years of his professional career working for the noted Prairie School architect George Washington Maher. A member of the influential Chicago Architectural Club, Seyfarth was a product of the Chicago School of Architecture.