Alexeyevsky District (Russian: Алексе́евский райо́н) is an administrative district (raion), one of the twenty-one in Belgorod Oblast, Russia. As a municipal division, it is incorporated as Alexeyevsky Municipal District. It is located in the east of the oblast. The area of the district is 1,765 square kilometers (681 sq mi). Its administrative center is the town of Alexeyevka (which is not administratively a part of the district). Population: 24,425 (2010 Census); 27,493 (2002 Census); 45,304 (1989 Census).
Scene in Aleexeyasky District
Coat of arms
Location of Alexeyevsky District in Belgorod Oblast
|Federal subject||Belgorod Oblast|
|• Total||1,765 km2 (681 sq mi)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||14/km2 (37/sq mi)|
|• Inhabited localities||89 Rural localities|
|• Municipally incorporated as||Alexeyevsky Municipal District|
|• Municipal divisions||1 Urban settlements, 20 Rural settlements|
Alexeyevsky District sits on the eastern edge of Belgorod Oblast, on the border with Voronezh Oblast. It is bordered on the south by Veydelevsky District and Roveskoy District, on the west by Krasnogvardeysky District, on the north by Krasnensky District, and on the east by three districts in Voronezh Oblast: Kamensky District, Olhovatsky District, and Ostrogozhsky District. The administrative center of the district is the town of Alexeyevka, which occupies 40 square kilometres (15 sq mi) in the north-central region of the district (of which the town itself is not part). the district is 300 kilometres (190 mi) east of the city of Belgorod.
The terrain is steppe and hilly plain; the district lies on the southeast edge of the Central Russian Upland. The two main rivers through the district are the Tikhaya Sosna River, which runs northeast into Voronezh Oblast and into the Don River basin, and the Chyornaya Kalitva River, another right tributary of the Don. Because it is in Central Black Earth area, Alexeyevsky has soil and climate suited to agriculture.
Within the framework of administrative divisions, Alexeyevsky District is one of the twenty-one in the oblast. The town of Alexeyevka serves as its administrative center, despite being incorporated separately as a town of oblast significance—an administrative unit with the status equal to that of the districts.
As a municipal division, the district is incorporated as Alexeyevsky Municipal District, with the town of oblast significance of Alexeyevka being incorporated within it as Alexeyevka Urban Settlement.
The 16th Guards Tank Division was a tank division of the Soviet Army and later the Russian Ground Forces.
The division traced its lineage back to the World War II 3rd Tank Corps, formed in the spring of 1942. The corps received its baptism of fire in the Zhizdra-Bolkhov Offensive during the summer and spent the fall in reserve. In early 1943, the corps fought in Operation Gallop and was destroyed in the Third Battle of Kharkov in late February. The corps was rebuilt in the following months and joined the 2nd Tank Army in June. The corps fought in the Battle of Kursk in July and in the Chernigov-Pripyat Offensive in August and September. In early 1944, it fought in the Korsun-Shevchenkovsky Offensive and the Uman–Botoșani Offensive. For its actions in the latter, the corps received the honorific "Uman" and the Order of Suvorov. During the summer of 1944, the corps fought in the Lublin–Brest Offensive, advancing into Poland. For its actions in the offensive, the corps received the Order of the Red Banner and in November became a guards unit, the 9th Guards Tank Corps, along with the rest of the army. The corps fought in the Vistula–Oder Offensive and the East Pomeranian Offensive in early 1945. For its actions, the corps received the Order of Lenin in April. The corps then fought in the Berlin Offensive, ending the war in the German capital.
In the summer of 1945 the corps became a tank division and was relocated to Neustrelitz, becoming part of the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany (GSFG). In 1965, the division was renumbered as the 16th Guards Tank Division. The division served with the GSFG through the Cold War and after the Dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1992 began a withdrawal to Russia which was completed in 1993. The division remained at Markovsky, Perm Krai until its 1997 disbandment, when it became a storage base. The storage base was disbanded in 2009.Alexeyevsky District
Alexeyevsky District is the name of several administrative and municipal districts in Russia. The districts' name generally derives from or is related to the male first name Alexey.Gorodishche, Russia
Gorodishche (Russian: Городи́ще) is the name of several inhabited localities in Russia.Ilyinka
Ilyinka (Russian: Ильинка) is the name of several inhabited localities in Russia.Krasny, Russia
Krasny (Russian: Кра́сный; masculine), Krasnaya (Кра́сная; feminine), or Krasnoye (Кра́сное; neuter) is the name of several inhabited localities in Russia.Nikolai Stankevich
Nikolai Vladimirovich Stankevich (Russian: Никола́й Влади́мирович Станке́вич) (October 9 [O.S. September 27] 1813 – July 7 [O.S. June 25] 1840) was a Russian public figure, philosopher, and poet.Nikolayevka, Russia
Nikolayevka (Russian: Никола́евка) is the name of several inhabited localities in Russia.Orlov, Russia
Orlov (Russian: Орлов) is the name of several inhabited localities in Russia.
|Cities and towns|