Aizanoi (Ancient Greek: Αἰζανοί), Latinized as Aezani was an Ancient Greek city in western Anatolia. Located in what is now Çavdarhisar, Kütahya Province, its ruins are situated astride the River Penkalas, some 1,000 m (3,300 ft) above sea level. The city was an important political and economic centre in Roman times; surviving remains from the period include a well-preserved Temple of Zeus, unusual combined theatre-stadium complex, and macellum inscribed with the Price Edict of Diocletian. The city fell into decline in Late Antiquity. Later serving as a citadel, in 2012 the site was submitted for inscription on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Αἰζανοί (in Greek)
Aezani (in Latin)
Acroterion with Temple of Zeus in the background
Shown within Turkey
|Location||Çavdarhisar, Kütahya Province, Turkey|
Settlement in the area is known from the Bronze Age. The city may have derived its name from Azan, one of three sons of Arcas and the nymph Erato, legendary ancestors of the Phrygians. During the Hellenistic period the city changed hands between the Kingdom of Pergamum and the Kingdom of Bithynia, before being bequeathed to Rome by the former in 133 BC. It continued to mint its own coins. Its monumental buildings date from the early Empire to the 3rd century.
Aezani was part of the Roman province of Phrygia Pacatiana. It became a Christian bishopric at an early stage, and its bishop Pisticus (or Pistus) was a participant at the First Council of Nicaea, the first ecumenical council, in 325. Pelagius was at a synod that Patriarch John II of Constantinople hastily organized in 518 and that condemned Severus of Antioch; he was also at the Second Council of Constantinople in 553. Gregory was at the Trullan Council of 692, John at the Second Council of Nicaea in 787, and Theophanes at both the Council of Constantinople (869) and the Council of Constantinople (879). The bishopric was at first a suffragan of Laodicea but, when Phrygia Pacatiana was divided into two provinces, it found itself a suffragan of Hierapolis, the capital of the new province of Phrygia Pacatiana II. No longer a residential bishopric, Aezani is today listed by the Catholic Church as a titular see.
After the 7th century, Aezani fell into decline. Later, in Seljuk times, the temple hill was converted into a citadel (Turkish: hisar) by Çavdar Tatars, after which the recent settlement of Çavdarhisar is named. The ruins of Aezani/Aizanoi were discovered by European travellers in 1824. Survey work in the 1830s and 1840s was followed by systematic excavation conducted by the German Archaeological Institute from 1926, resumed in 1970, and still ongoing.
The Temple of Zeus, situated upon a hill, was the city's main sanctuary. Ceramic finds indicate local habitation from the first half of the third millennium BC. According to a recent reading of the architrave inscription, construction of the temple began under Domitian. Inscriptions document imperial assistance from Hadrian relating to the recovery of unpaid rents as well as the euergetism of Marcus Apuleius Eurykles. Later the Çavdar Tatars carved equestrian and battle scenes on the temple. The temple is pseudodipteral, with eight columns at the ends and fifteen along the sides (35 m × 53 m (115 ft × 174 ft)). It was damaged by the 1970 Gediz earthquake and has since been restored.
Aizanoi's theatre-stadium are built adjacent to each other and this combined complex is said to be unique in the ancient world. Separating the two is the stage building. Construction began after 160 A.D. and was complete by the mid-third century. Inscriptions again attest to the benefaction of M. Apuleius Eurycles.
Two sets of thermae have been identified. The first, between the theatre-stadium and the temple, dates to the second half of the second century and includes a palaestra and marble furnishings. The second, in the north-east of the city, was built a century later; floor mosaics depict a satyr and maenad. Rebuilt a couple of centuries later, it served as the bishop's seat.
A circular macellum dating to the second half of the second century is located in the south. In the fourth century it was inscribed with a copy of the Price Edict of Diocletian, dating to 301, an attempt to limit inflation resulting from debasement of the coinage.
Recent excavations have revealed the existence of a stoa, or covered walkway, dating to ca. 400 AD, and colonnaded street. A Temple of Artemis, dating to the time of Claudius (41-54), was demolished to make way for the colonnaded street which ran for 450 m (1,480 ft) and led to the sanctuary of Meter Steunene.
A deep tunnel inside a cave, now collapsed, was dedicated to Meter Steunene (an Anatolian Earth Mother goddess). Cult figurines made of clay have been found in excavations, along with two round pits apparently used for animal sacrifice.
The city's large necropolis includes examples of door-shaped Phrygian tombstones. Inscriptions give the names of deceased or donor; accompanying decoration includes, for the tombs of men, bulls, lions and eagles, and for those of women, baskets of wool and a mirror.
Apollonia or Apollonia-on-the-Rhyndacus (Ancient Greek: Ἀπολλωνία ἐπὶ Ῥυνδακῷ, Apollōnía épì Ryndakō; Latin: Apollonia ad Rhyndacum) was an ancient town near the Rhyndacus river in northwestern Anatolia. Strabo placed it in Mysia, causing some to misidentify the site as Uluabat on the western shore of Lake Uluabat. However, the site is actually the promontory tombolo on the northeastern shore, near modern Gölyazı. The remains of Apollonia are inconsiderable. The Rhyndacus flows into the lake and issues from it a deep and muddy river. The lake extends from east to west and is studded with several islands in the northeast part, on one of which is Gölyazı, but the dimensions vary greatly through the seasons.
It is known that nine cities were built named as “Apollonia” in Anatolia within the process of ancient period . “Apollonia ad Rhyndacum” is the city built on the peninsula and islets reaching to the lake called as “Apolyont” which was named as “Artynias” or “Apolloniatis” in earlier times located on the north east of Mysia. The name of “Apollonia ad Rhyndacum” was chosen in order to differentiate from other cities in the Ancient Era with reference to the stream “Rhyndacus (Adranos)” located close to the city and stemming from Aizanoi (Çavdarhisar).
It is thought that the islet known as Kız Ada was the Sacred Area of Apollo in Ancient Era. After the construction of the temple in the name of preservative God of the city, head of Apollo, kithara, plectron and Apollo Sauroctonus figure in the temple were used from Hellenistic Era to the late Roman Empire Period. Usage of crawfish figure continued its prevalence while depiction of Gorgon head gradually decreased. Different characters were used on the coins such as Demeter and Tyche due to the coming of new cults to the city in Roman Period.Beçin
Beçin (also known as Berçin or Peçin) was a historical fort in Turkey.Cotenna
Cotenna was a city in the Roman province of Pamphylia I in Asia Minor. It corresponds to modern Gödene, near Konya, Turkey.Daniel Krencker
Daniel Krencker (15 July 1874, Andolsheim – 10 November 1941, Berlin) was an Alsatian-German architectural historian. He is known for his studies of Roman architecture, in particular, his investigations of its temples (Asia Minor, Syria) and thermal baths.
From 1894 to 1898 he studied architecture at the Technical University at Berlin-Charlottenburg. Later on, he served as a professor of architectural history at the technical university. (from 1922 to 1941). Concurrently, he was an honorary professor of Geschichte der Bau- und Gartenkunst at the agricultural university in Berlin (1930–1941).
Under the direction of Otto Puchstein and Bruno Schulz (1865–1932), from 1900 to 1904, he investigated the ancient Roman ruins at Baalbek and Palmyra. In 1905/06 he was technical manager of an expedition to Aksum (Abyssinia). Later on, he conducted studies at the excavation site of the Hittite capital of Hattusa (Asia Minor, 1907).In 1912 he was appointed head of the architecture department in Quedlinburg, and subsequently put in charge of excavation of the Trier Imperial Baths. He later returned to Asia Minor, where he conducted significant research of the temples at Ankara ("Temple of Augustus and Rome") and Aizanoi. In 1939 he made one last trip to Syria, where he investigated the Monumentalanlage at the Church of Simeon Stylites.Eshab-ı Kehf Kulliye
Eshab-ı Kehf Kulliye is a historical building complex in Kahramanmaraş Province, TurkeyKekova
Kekova, also named Caravola (Greek: Dolichiste), is a small Turkish island near Demre (Demre is the Lycian town of Myra) district of Antalya province which faces the villages of Kaleköy (ancient Simena) and Üçağız (ancient Teimioussa). Kekova has an area of 4.5 km2 (2 sq mi) and is uninhabited.Kütahya
Kütahya (Turkish pronunciation: [cyˈtahja]) is a city in western Turkey with 237,804 inhabitants (2011 estimate), lying on the Porsuk river, at 969 metres above sea level. It is the capital of Kütahya Province, inhabited by some 564,294 people (2011 estimate). The region of Kütahya has large areas of gentle slopes with agricultural land culminating in high mountain ridges to the north and west.
The city's Greek name was Kotyaion, Latinized in Roman times as Cotyaeum.Kütahya Province
Kütahya Province (Turkish: Kütahya ili) is a province in the Aegean region of Turkey. It is 11,875 km2 in size, and the population is 571,554 (2014). In 1990, Kütahya had a population of 578,000.
The neighboring provinces are Bursa to the northwest, Bilecik to the northeast, Eskişehir to the east, Afyon to the southeast, Usak to the south, Manisa to the southwest and Balıkesir to the west.List of World Heritage Sites in Turkey (tentative list)
Below is the tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Turkey. (For the criteria see the Selection criteria)List of ancient settlements in Turkey
Below is the list of ancient settlements in Turkey. There are innumerable ruins of ancient settlements spread all over the country. While some ruins date back to Neolithic times, most of them were settlements of Hittites, Phrygians, Lydians, Ionians, Urartians, and so on.Mahmut Bey Mosque
Mahmutbey Mosque is a historical mosque in Kasaba village in Kastamonu Province, Turkey
Kasaba was once an important settlement in Kastamonu Province. Now it is a small village about 18 kilometres (11 mi) to Kastamonu. But the historical mosque of the village at 41°28′48″N 33°41′17″E is an important cultural building of the province.Mamure Castle
Mamure Castle (Turkish: Mamure kalesi) is a medieval castle in the Anamur District of Mersin Province, Turkey.Odunpazarı
Odunpazarı (literally "firewood market" in Turkish), is a historic district of Eskişehir Province in the Central Anatolia region of Turkey. Odunpazarı is one of the central districts of Eskişehir along with the district of Tepebaşı.Sagalassos
Sagalassos (Greek: Σαγαλασσός), also known as Selgessos (Greek: Σελγησσός) and Sagallesos (Greek: Σαγαλλησός), is an archaeological site in southwestern Turkey, about 100 km north of Antalya (ancient Attaleia), and 30 km from Burdur and Isparta. The ancient ruins of Sagalassos are 7 km from Ağlasun (as well as being its namesake) in the province of Burdur, on Mount Akdağ, in the Western Taurus mountains range, at an altitude of 1450–1700 metres.
In Roman Imperial times, the town was known as the "first city of Pisidia", a region in the western Taurus mountains, currently known as the Turkish Lakes Region. During the Hellenistic period it was already one of the major Pisidian towns.Saint Paul's Church, Tarsus
Saint Paul's Church is a former Greek Orthodox church in Tarsus, Mersin Province, Turkey.Theodor von Lüpke
Theodor Friedrich Heinrich von Lüpke (12 April 1873, Hermannsburg – 13 April 1961, Bückeburg) was a German architectural historian known for his work in the field of photogrammetry.
From 1894 to 1898 he studied architecture at the Technical Universities of Munich and Hannover, where he was a student of Conrad Wilhelm Hase. From 1907 to 1911 he served as a Regierungsbaumeister (government architect) in the Prussian Ministry of Geistlichen, Unterrichts- und Medizinalangelegenheiten. From 1911 to 1938 he was director of the Royal Photogrammic Institute for Denkmalaufnahmen (records of monuments).
He provided photogrammic documentation for architectural structures in Constantinople (the Hagia Sophia, 1902 and the Theodosian walls, 1928), in Lebanon (the excavation site at Baalbek, 1902–03), in Ethiopia (monuments investigated by the German "Aksum-Expedition", 1906), in Anatolia (the ancient Roman temple at Aizanoi, 1928) and at various locations in Europe.He was a co-founder of the Deutschen Gesellschaft für Photogrammetrie (1909) and of the Koldewey-Gesellschaft (Koldewey Society, 1926). He was a corresponding member of the Deutschen Archäologischen Institut and of the International Society for Photogrammetry.Tomb of Ahi Evren
Tomb of Ahi Evren is a part of mosque-tomb complex in Kırşehir, Turkey.Zeynel Abidin Mosque Complex
Zeynel Abiddin Mosque Complex (Turkish: Zeynel Abidin Camii ve Külliyesi) is a historic religious building complex in Nusaybin, Mardin Province, southeastern Turkey.
It is located in Nusaybin ilçe (district) of Mardin Province at 37°04′02″N 41°12′51″E. The complex is named after Zeynel Abidin. Zeynel Abidin and his sister Siti Zeynep are known as 13th-generation grand children of Muhammad. According to an inscription, the complex was built in 1159, during Zengid dynasty. It consists of a mosque, a medrese (school) and tombs of both Zeynel Abidin and his sister Sitti Zeynep.
The building material of the L-plan mosque complex is rough stone. The mimbar, mihrab and the minaret are later additions. The tombs of Zeynel Abidin and Siti Zeynep are located at the south east of the mosque.Çavdarhisar
Çavdarhisar is a town and district of Kütahya Province in the Aegean region of Turkey. According to 2000 census, population of the district is 13,538 of which 4,687 live in the town of Çavdarhisar. The local Kocaçay stream is still crossed by the Roman Penkalas Bridge.
|All over Turkey|