Addingham (formerly Haddincham c. 972, Odingehem 1086) is a village and civil parish in the English county of West Yorkshire. It is situated near the A65, 6 miles (10 km) south east of Skipton, 3 miles (5 km) west of Ilkley, 19 miles (31 km) north west of Bradford and around 20 miles (32 km) north west of Leeds. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is located in the valley of the River Wharfe and is only 1 mile (2 km) from the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The name is thought to mean "homestead associated with a man called Adda", although in the Domesday Book, the village was referred to as "Ediham", which may have referred to Earl Edwin of Bolton Abbey. The 2001 census numbered Addingham's population at 3,599, increasing to 3,730 at the 2011 Census.
The area around Addingham is thought to have been populated from at least Bronze Age times, indicated by the 'cup and ring' carved stones that can be found on Addingham Moor. Its beginnings may date back to the late Mesolithic period, as evidenced by the scattered remains of early flint tools across Rombald's Moor to the south.
The earliest of the existing houses were built in the 17th century when the village was a farming community, but the real growth began in the late 18th century and early 19th century when the textile industry arrived and five working mills, plus other loomshops and weaving sheds, were established, and the village developed into a busy industrial community. The village grew up around three centres; Church Street in the east; The Green, about a mile away in the west; and the Old School in between. This is thought to be one of the reasons the village used to be known as "Long Addingham".
Since the decline of the textile industry during the 20th century, the village has now become largely a commuter and retirement community. It is home to an award-winning Medical Centre, a public park, four public houses, several retirement homes and a solitary school, Addingham Primary School.
High Mill at Addingham
|Population||3,730 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||185 mi (298 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
There is evidence of civilisation around Addingham as far back as the late Mesolithic, Neolithic and early Bronze Ages, as indicated by the remains of early man in the form of flint tools on Rombald's Moor, which may date back to around 11,000 BC. The first 'fixed' artefacts are the 'cup and ring' marked stones, several of which can be found on top of Addingham Moor and Ilkley Moor to the east, which date back to the early Bronze Age, around 1800 BC.
The first evidence of settlements come from the Iron Age – evidence of major tree clearance dating back to 700 BC has been found, as well as quern-stones on Addingham Moorside. Remains of an Iron Age settlement can also be found on Addingham Low Moor.
Little evidence remains of the 350 years of Roman occupation, save for the Roman road towards Skipton (now Moor Lane) which, up until the 1800s, was still the primary route between the two settlements.
The Domesday Book in 1086 places the village in the region of Burghshire and refers to the village as "Ediham". The Lord in 1066 was Earl Edwin of Bolton Abbey ("Bodeltone"), who was Lord of several other surrounding settlements ranging as far west as Skipton, Hellifield and Anley, and may have given his name to the village.
The weir of a medieval corn mill that is located near modern-day High Mill has been dated back to 1315, and is one of the oldest medieval structures in the village. Despite this, the main occupation in the 1370s, when poll tax was levied, was agriculture, iron smelting and blacksmithing.
During the Reformation, Henry VIII dissolved the monastery in Bolton Abbey, and while most of Addingham accepted the Reformation, Richard Kirkham remained faithful to Catholicism and was subsequently arrested in 1578, tried, and executed in York alongside William Lacy. The Roman Catholic Church "Our Lady and of the English Martyrs", which was built in 1927 on Bolton Road, is dedicated to him and to other Catholics persecuted by Henry VIII.
The earliest indications of the textile industry in the village can be found in the will of William Atkinson in 1568, in which it states that he left a solitary loom to his son-in-law. The cloth making industry remained stagnant, however, until the 18th century, when revolutionary weaving inventions such as John Kay's Flying shuttle and, later, water-powered machines such as Crompton's Spinning mule, allowed the textile industry in Addingham to leap forward as it entered the 19th century.
John Cunliffe, a cloth manufacturer, and John Cockshott, a glazier and woolstapler, took advantage of the new developments in technology and leased land on the side of the River Wharfe in 1787 at the site now known as Low Mill. They built a spinning mill which enabled yarn to be spun more quickly than by hand and thus increased the production of cloth. A weir was constructed on the river and a wheel installed to provide the power. It was the first successful worsted mill in the world.
The start of the 19th century saw the textile industry begin to thrive in the village – existing mills, such as the one at High Mill which had been built in 1787 to produce corn, were converted and extended and used for linen, cotton, worsted and finally silk spinning, while other new mills were built, such as Town Head Mill and Fentimans, the latter of which was built in 1802 originally to spin cotton and was later converted into a sawmill in the 1860s. Several small workshops were also built, as well as three storey high workers' houses, in which the lower two floors would be for domestic use, and the top floor would house the looms, with inter-connecting doors along the row of houses. These buildings still exist today, and examples can be seen on Stockinger Lane.
In the census reports between 1831 and 1861, it was reported that there was a dramatic decline in the population of the village, and the 1841 census stated that this was due to the closure of Low Mill. In the 1851 census, so many of the houses at Low Mill were reported as empty that it is assumed that the mill remained closed until then. By 1861, hand loom weavers had practically disappeared. However, shortly afterwards, Samuel Cunliffe Lister re-opened Low Mill, with commercial operations being handled at Piece Hall at 19 Main Street.
In 1875, the Lord of the Manor, Richard Smith of London, proposed the construction of 20 streets, each with 40 to 50 houses. Small shops lined the Main Street, such as grocers, greengrocers and butchers. An Addingham co-operative society was formed; it prospered sufficiently to buy land on Bolton Road and build new premises and a row of cottages. The old ferry which brought parishioners from Beamsley was replaced by a foot bridge, and around about the same time a horse-drawn bus service to Ilkley was introduced.
By the end of the 19th century, there were five operating mills in the village, three of them owned by Lister, and the village was thriving again.
The village continued to produce textiles until the start of the First World War, and despite high levels of production during the war, the textile industry never really recovered. However, after the bombing of the SU Carburetter factory in Coventry during the Second World War in 1941, production switched to Addingham, at which time up to 1,000 people worked there and prefabricated homes were erected in Ilkley to cater for the sudden increase in employees. The other textiles factories were busy during the war, and the Listers, having produced silk between wars with a German company, were able to use their expertise to produce silk parachutes.
After the war, Carburetter production ceased and Low Mill returned to textiles. For a short time the mills were working hard, as textiles were in short supply. However, the machinery was out of date, and there was a major closure of textile mills throughout the country. In Addingham, the last mill to close was at Low Mill in 1976.
In the meantime, the demand for small, cheap housing increased, and this saw new council houses being built at Moor Lane after the First World War, and at School Lane, Burns Hill and Green Lane after the Second World War. After the closure of the railway line in 1969, a modern housing estate was built where the line used to run, and has since been expanded.
In 1998, textiles briefly returned to Addingham and Low Mill in the form of a Norwegian-based company, Straum (UK), who started production of scoured wool, but this business closed in 2002.
Today, the village is mainly a retirement and commuter community, with several people commuting every day to nearby towns such as Skipton and Ilkley and also to larger cities like Leeds and Bradford.
The lowest form of governance is the Parish Council, which was formed in 1894, when the village was part of the Skipton Rural District. In 1974, as part of the Local Government Act of 1972, the village was redistributed to become part of the Bradford Metropolitan District Council. The council comprises 11 members, with elections held every four years to coincide with the year's District Council elections.
Addingham is part of the Keighley UK Parliament constituency, represented by Labour's John Grogan since the 2017 general election. The constituency was previously represented by Kris Hopkins (Conservative, 2010–2017), and before that by Ann Cryer (Labour, 1997–2010). Like Ilkley, Addingham is a Conservative majority, which contrasts to the Labour voting area in Keighley.
Addingham is also within the Yorkshire and the Humber European Parliament constituency, which elects 6 members into the European Parliament. In the 2009 election two Liberal Democrats and one each from Labour, the Conservatives, UKIP and the BNP.
|2001 UK Census||Addingham||Bradford (borough)||England|
|Over 75 Years Old||351 (9.75%)||31,560 (6.75%)||3,705,159 (7.54%)|
|Unemployed||51 (1.42%)||14,281 (3.05%)||1,188,855 (2.42%)|
|% White Ethnicity||99.15%||78.27%||90.92%|
According to the 2001 census, Addingham had a population of 3,599 living in 1,645 households. Of the 2,997 people aged 16 or over, 2,052 were either married or living with a partner, 587 were single and 544 were divorced or widowed. The mean age of the village was 44.42. Of the 1,645 households, 1,631 heads of houses were of white ethnicity, suggesting that around 99.15% of the village is of white ethnicity, a high figure compared to the rest of the Bradford district. The average distance to work is 19.69 km, confirming Addingham's status as a commuter village.
As the data below suggests, the closure of the majority of the mills between 1831 and 1851 affected the population of the village, with the population dropping by around 600 in 20 years. In 1861 and again in 1881, it is assumed that the population began to grow again due to the re-opening of Low Mill.
|Population Change in Addingham, 1801–2001|
The village relies heavily on local businesses to support the economy, and such businesses provide an array of services, including property services, butchery, carpentry, driving schools and electrical repairs. In 2009 Addingham Newsagents was re-opened by local businessman Mark Preston, thereby continuing his family's long tradition of shopkeeping in the community, which dates back to the 19th century when his great-grandfather opened a general stores on the site which is now Dixon's Butchers. However, due to the economic climate of recent times, and not helped by the arrival of the Co-op supermarket in 2013, many local businesses have been forced to shut down, prompting the Parish Council to set up a sub-committee, with the purpose of finding new ways to promote local businesses not only around the village but further afield.
Addingham has five pubs, The Fleece, The Crown, The Swan, The Sailor and The Craven Heifer (named for the eponymous Craven Heifer), and a social club that are all situated on Main Street. All the pubs in some form offer quizzes and live music. In September 2011, both the Craven Heifer and the Fleece closed. Since then, local businessman Craig Minto has taken over The Fleece, which reopened on 1 December 2011. The Craven Heifer briefly re-opened as a new Chinese restaurant, run by the owners of Po Sang in Ilkley but closed again in June 2012 and is due to re-open in late summer 2012 under the same ownership as the Fleece. The Sailor also closed in June 2012 and remains closed at the time of writing (July 2012).
Addingham once had its own railway station, but this closed in 1965. It has been suggested that the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway could be extended back to the village and a new LMS Style station could be built on the surviving embankment, a few metres from the old original station site which has now long been redeveloped as housing. Addingham has a half-hourly bus service to Ilkley and Keighley, hourly to Leeds and Skipton, and infrequently between Ilkley and Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales. Night-time and Sunday buses are restricted to an hourly service between Ilkley and Keighley.
The nearest railway station is in Ilkley, with regular services to Leeds and Bradford.
A new Medical Centre in the village was officially opened on 14 August 2009, having been the culmination of many years of battling for a purpose-built surgery to serve local patients. It has replaced the previous centre situated further along the main road. In March 2011, the new centre was awarded a Royal College of General Practitioners' Quality Practice Award (QPA) for the highest standard of patient care.
Addingham has a public library on Main Street, which used to be the site of the local school. In February 2011, Bradford Council outlined a money-saving scheme in which five of the areas most under-used libraries, in Addingham, Denholme, Heaton, Wilsden and Wrose, would be closed. However, parish councillors urged Bradford Council to delay the closure until a takeover could be organised. In November 2011, the library became the first in the area to be fully staffed by community volunteers, and the library is now open for over twice the number of hours it was whilst run by Bradford Council.
The Old School was built in 1669 by Anthony Ward. The school started as a single-storey two-roomed cottage but another storey was added in 1805 when the school moved into the upper room. The school remained as it was until 1845 when it was replaced by the Church of England school (the 'Low School' in North Street in 1845).
In 1874, on Chapel Street, the Wesleyans built a day school which in turn became the National School in 1891. This remained as the infant and junior school until the building of the First School and Middle schools in the 1960s.
The First School, closed when the two-tier education system was introduced in 2000, was demolished in 2001. The Middle School then became Addingham Primary School which has around 240 pupils.
Since at least 1960, Addingham has held a village gala in July. It includes a parade, which begins at Green Lane proceeds down Main Street, culminating at the village park, and several attractions including rides and stalls. Each year, there is a different theme for the Gala. In 2010, a traditional fell race organised by Ilkley Harriers, which had not taken place for over 20 years, was reinstated to the agenda.
In 1998, for the first time in living memory, the village was unable to hold a Gala, due to the previous organiser having to step down due to other commitments, and the village being unable to find a replacement. Eventually, a 15-strong team, led by former chairman of the Addingham Civic Society Don Barrett, was set up to organise the Gala, and it took place once again in 1999.
However, in 2000, Barrett claimed that village apathy was threatening the Gala once again and the organisation was in need of volunteers 'before it's too late'. Following a local appeal in the Ilkley Gazette, local Rebecca Carter volunteered her help and was elected Chairman of the new Addingham Gala Committee and the gala went ahead.
In 2001, the Gala was cancelled due to the Foot and Mouth outbreak, but the Gala Committee instead organised a 'Keep It Local' day, which was intended to give the locals the opportunity to support their local business and create a sense of community spirit. The day involved a treasure hunt, morris dancing, and an award for the person who spent the most money in the village throughout the day.
In 2007, after seven successful years at the helm, during which the popularity of Addingham Gala significantly grew, Rebecca Carter stepped down as Chairman and was replaced by Angela Hutton, who had been a part of the volunteering team for three years previously.
Performances of a local pantomime began in 1905 with a performance of Bluebeard. For several years, the pantomime was funded, organised and run by Friends of Addingham Primary School (FAPS), but in 2003, the organisation felt unable to commit the time to organise the project and decided to discontinue its support of the project. This led to the formation of the Addingham Pantomime Group, which has staged the pantomime every February ever since.
Since 2009, the pantomime has entered the Wharfedale Festival of Theatre. In their debut year in the competition, they won seven awards, including the Pantomime Cup for Best Pantomime.
Addingham has many sports teams including a football team previously part of the Harrogate and District League. A decision was made before the start of the 2010–11 season to transfer to the Craven and District League due to the closer proximity of most of the teams. In their inaugural season in the league, they finished 10th in Division 4.
Addingham Cricket Club plays in the Aire-Wharfe Senior Cricket League.
The extreme sports scene in Addingham is also thriving with an array of mountain bikers and skateboarders making good use of the facilities and surrounding hills.
On 5 July 2014, the Tour de France Stage 1 from Leeds to Harrogate passed through the village. On 6 July 2014, Stage 2 of the 2014 Tour de France from York to Sheffield, passed through the village.
Work is under way to convert Low Mill into a residential complex. The development will consist of 32 units in the mill building and 22 new houses and 6 apartments. 17 of the units will be reserved for local buyers at affordable prices. The conversion will increase the height of the mill as well as the removal of surrounding buildings to be landscaped.
Planning permission for a motel to be built on an overgrown plot of land near the cricket ground on Main Street was first granted in 1991 and renewed in 1996. In 2001, an application to redevelop the land into nine houses was rejected due to the site being part of a Green Belt site, leading to renewed efforts on a 32-bedroom "budget" motel. In 2005, revised plans for an 'American-style' 30-bedroom motel with less car parking space and a residents only bar were approved, with the Parish Council objecting on the grounds that the new design would be out of character for the village. In 2007, after no visible work had been done, the Parish Council were awarded a £4,000 grant and were able to clean it up and erect a new fence. By 2008, it had once again become overgrown, leading to Parish Councillors urging the Bradford Council to release the site from the Green Belt. In 2010, another bid was made to renew planning permission for a 30-bedroom motel, with three written objections being made to Bradford Council. Since then, no development has commenced on this plot of land and the issue is still to be resolved.
In the process of building the Medical Centre, the existing Scout Hut was demolished. The Parish Council were granted permission to refurbish the site of the present football pavilion. The Parish Council have been working together with the Scouting Organisation and Addingham Football Club on a new scheme to upgrade the facilities for the football club while providing a new home for the Scout Troop, including a potential £85,000 all-weather multi-purpose pitch. In February 2012, plans for the extension of the football pavilion were approved by Bradford Council. The Multipurpose Games Area (also known as MUGA to the residents) was opened in July 2013 by the 2013/14 Gala Queen Keira Heckman and local MP Kris Hopkins.
Addingham railway station was on the Midland Railway route from Skipton to Ilkley. It served the village of Addingham in West Yorkshire, England.Chelker Reservoir
Chelker Reservoir is a man made lake in North Yorkshire, England. It lies in the parish of Draughton, immediately north of the A65 road, between Skipton and the village of Addingham. It was put into service in 1866 and serves the Bradford area; it is currently owned by Yorkshire Water. The reservoir's main inflow is the River Wharfe.Claro Wapentake
Claro was a wapentake of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England. It was split into two divisions. The Upper Division included the parishes of Farnham, Fewston, Hampsthwaite, Kirkby Malzeard and Pannal and parts of Aldborough, Knaresborough, Otley, Little Ouseburn, Ripley, Ripon, Wetherby and Whixley, many of which formed exclaves. The Lower Division included the parishes of Allerton Mauleverer, Goldsborough, Hunsingore, Kirk Deighton, Kirkby Overblow, Leathley, Spofforth with Stockeld, Weston and parts of Addingham, Aldborough, Harewood, Ilkley, Kirk Hammerton, Otley, Ripley and Whixley.
At the time of the Domesday Book the wapentake was known as Burghshire, named from its meeting place at Aldborough. In the 12th century the name was changed to Claro, from Claro Hill near Coneythorpe, presumably its meeting place.Claro wapentake is exceptional because it is one of the few hundreds or wapentakes to have divisions with exclaves. The historic reasons for the situation are obscure but are likely based on patterns of settlement and transportation.
The area of the wapentake now falls almost entirely within the district of Harrogate in North Yorkshire.Craven (Bradford ward)
Craven is an electoral ward within the City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council, West Yorkshire, England. The population of the ward at the 2011 Census was 16,373.It encompasses the villages of Steeton in the south, Silsden in the centre and Addingham in the north.
It is adjacent to the Craven district of North Yorkshire.Cutler Heights
Cutler Heights is a locality between Bowling and Laisterdyke in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England. It is known for its many industrial estates, among them engineering and steel trading businesses.Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway
The Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway (E&BASR) is a heritage railway in North Yorkshire, England, formed in 1979 and opened in 1981.
The preserved railway was part of the former Midland Railway route from Skipton to Ilkley which was closed down by British Railways in 1965 over 15 years before the reopening of part of the line.
The E&BASR currently runs for a total distance of 4 miles (6 km) from Embsay via Draughton Sidings, Holywell and Stoneacre Loop to Bolton Abbey station and carries around 100,000 passengers a year.The long-term objectives of the railway are extensions of the line in both directions, eastwards to the West Yorkshire village of Addingham and southwest towards the North Yorkshire market town of Skipton.Farfield Friends Meeting House
Farfield Friends Meeting House is a Quaker meeting house no longer regularly in use by a Quaker meeting and now owned by the Historic Chapels Trust. It is located some 2 miles (3 km) north of the village of Addingham, West Yorkshire, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building..Gamblesby
Gamblesby is a village near Melmerby, In the civil parish of Glassonby, Cumbria, England. It appears first in written records in 1177 as Gamelesbi, and in 1212 as Gamelesby. Originally a township of the ancient parish of Addingham, Gamblesby was a civil parish in its own right from 1866 until 1934.
The village's former church, St. John's, is now a private house.There are several large and very beautiful houses, also there are others that are smaller but all with gardens. plenty of land surrounds the area which all has either life stock or crops for farming. It is a friendly and quiet village, usually for younger children and old age pensioners. This is a medium-sized village which has a quiet road passing through which leads to Unthank, Glassonby and Melmerby.Glassonby
Glassonby is a small village and civil parish in the Eden Valley of Cumbria, England, about 3 miles (4.8 km) south south east of Kirkoswald.
There is a methodist church and a microlight flying centre in the village.
The Anglican church of St Michael, just to the south of the village, is not the parish church of Glassonby but of Addingham. The village of Addingham lay near the River Eden but was lost centuries ago when the river changed its course. The church was rebuilt using some stones from the original and the name kept for the parish. Addingham parish was divided into a number of civil parishes in 1866.
Just to the north of the village, at White House Farm, is a well-preserved late 16th century bastle house.
The ashes of Rev. G. Bramwell Evens, who was a popular broadcaster of the 1930s, were scattered at Old Parks Farm. He was a regular visitor to Glassonby in the 1920s and 1930s. He is commemorated by a memorial at Old Parks which reads 'Sacred to the memory of Rev. G. Bramwell Evens, "Romany of the BBC", whose ashes are scattered here. Born 1884. Died November 1943. He loved birds and trees and flowers and the wind on the heath'.Private Robert Beatham VC, an Australian soldier and posthumous Victoria Cross recipient, was born in Glassonby. He emigrated to Australia as a teenager, prior to the outbreak of the First World War and was killed in action on 9 August 1918.Grade I listed buildings in City of Bradford
This is a list of the grade I listed buildings in the City of Bradford. In the United Kingdom, the term listed building refers to a building or other structure officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance; Grade I structures are those on account of their special architectural or historic interest. In England, the authority for listing under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 rests with English Heritage, a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.The city of Bradford is a metropolitan borough in West Yorkshire, England, established by the Local Government Act 1972. It covers a number of other outlying towns and villages, which had previously been covered by separate municipal borough, urban and rural district councils. The buildings are listed according to their individual towns, with Bradford having the most listed buildings, with a total of seven. Ilkley has four, with one of those being three stones outside All Saints Parish Church. Keighley has three listed buildings, Addingham has two, and Bingley and Shipley each have one.Hunsonby
Hunsonby is a civil parish in the Eden District, Cumbria 7 miles (11 km) north east of Penrith. The parish is located 28 miles from the city of Carlisle. Within the parish is the ancient stone circle of Long Meg and Her Daughters but not the nearby standing stone of Little Meg which is located near Langwathby. In 2011 the Census reported the parish to have a total population of 388, with 198 males and 192 females.In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hunsonby (and Winskill) as:
"Hunsonby and Winskel, a township in Addingham parish, Cumberland; on a branch of the river Eden, 4 miles SSE of Kirkoswald. Real property, £1,690. Pop., 208. Houses, 38. There is a Wesleyan chapel."Moor Music Festival
The Moor Music Festival was an annual music festival held initially on a farm in Addingham Moorside, near the town of Ilkley, West Yorkshire. For the 2009 and 2010 festivals, the setting was moved to Heslaker Farm near to Skipton in North Yorkshire.The festival had artists playing from the local area and beyond, many being prominent artists in the New Yorkshire music scene. In 2006, bands appearing included The Lodger, Monkey Swallows the Universe, Black Wire, Middleman and iLIKETRAiNS.
2007 saw new additions such as the electronic music tent The Twisted Ballroom hosted by Leeds collective Gonzo and a dub, jungle and dubstep tent called The Trench run by Leeds soundsystem High Pressure.
The event was free from corporate sponsorship and promoted green action and other environmental causes, with stalls at the event on trade justice, climate change, third world development and other social issues.The 2011 event was relabeled as the Beacons Festival, but was cancelled due to adverse weather on the first day of the event. Thereafter, the event moved away from Skipton and was held on various days across the North of England.River Wharfe
The River Wharfe is a river in Yorkshire, England. For much of its length it is the county boundary between West Yorkshire and North Yorkshire.
Its valley is known as Wharfedale. The river source is at Beckermonds in Langstrothdale in the Yorkshire Dales National Park and flows through Kettlewell, Grassington, Bolton Abbey, Addingham, Ilkley, Burley-in-Wharfedale, Otley, Wetherby and Tadcaster. It then flows into the River Ouse near Cawood. The section of the river from its source to around Addingham is in Upper Wharfedale and has a very different character to the river downstream.
The Wharfe is 65 miles (104.6 km) long before it joins the Ouse making it the 21st longest river in Britain. It is a public navigation from the weir at Tadcaster to its junction with the Ouse near Cawood and is tidal from Ulleskelf to the Ouse.Skipton Rural District
Skipton was a rural district in the West Riding of Yorkshire from 1894 to 1974. It was named after Skipton, which constituted an urban district on its southern border.
The district was expanded in 1937 by taking in the parishes of Steeton with Eastburn and Sutton-in-Craven from the disbanded Keighley Rural District.
It was abolished in 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, and was split three ways. The parishes of Addingham, Kildwick and Steeton with Eastburn went to the Metropolitan Borough of Bradford in West Yorkshire; the parishes of Bracewell, Brogden and Salterforth became part of the Pendle district of Lancashire, with the rest going to the Craven district of North Yorkshire.Skipton–Ilkley line
The Skipton–Ilkley line is the route that the Midland Railway took to link the towns of Skipton and Ilkley via the villages of Embsay, Bolton Abbey and Addingham.St Peter's Church, Addingham
St Peter's Church is a Church of England parish church in Addingham, West Yorkshire. It is a Grade I listed building, with the main structure dating to a 15th-century rebuild but with some of the earliest parts dating from the Norman period.Staincliffe Wapentake
Staincliffe, also known as Staincliff, was a wapentake of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The wapentake was named from a place called Staincliffe, now lost, in Bank Newton, not to be confused with Staincliffe near Dewsbury. Staincliffe was presumably where the wapentake originally met, although in the 12th century it met at Flasby.The wapentake was split into two divisions. The East Division included the ancient parishes of Barnoldswick, Bracewell, Broughton, Burnsall, Carleton, Gargrave, Hebden, Keighley, Kettlewell, Kildwick, Linton, Marton in Craven, Skipton, Thornton in Craven and parts of Arncliffe and Addingham.
The West Division included the parishes of Bolton by Bowland, Giggleswick, Gisburn, Kirkby Malhamdale, Long Preston, Slaidburn and parts of Arncliffe, Browsholme, Mitton, and Sawley. Some parts of the Forest of Bowland attached to the Chapelry of Whitewell, where part the Lancashire parish of Whalley in neighbouring Blackburnshire.Wharfedale
Wharfedale is one of the Yorkshire Dales. It is situated within the boroughs of Craven, and Harrogate in North Yorkshire, and the cities of Leeds, and Bradford in West Yorkshire. It is the upper valley of the River Wharfe. Towns and villages in Wharfedale (downstream, from west to east) include Buckden, Kettlewell, Conistone, Grassington, Hebden, Bolton Abbey, Addingham, Ilkley, Burley-in-Wharfedale, Otley, Pool-in-Wharfedale, Arthington, Collingham and Wetherby. Beyond Wetherby, the valley opens out and becomes part of the Vale of York.
The section from the river's source to around Addingham is known as Upper Wharfedale and lies in North Yorkshire and in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The first 15 miles (24 km) or so is known as Langstrothdale, including the settlements of Beckermonds, Yockenthwaite and Hubberholme, famous for its church, the resting place of the writer J. B. Priestley. As it turns southwards, the Wharfe then runs through a green and lush valley, characterised by limestone outcrops, such as Kilnsey Crag, and woodland, generally quite unusual in the dales.
Below Addingham, the dale broadens and turns to the east. This section is shared between North Yorkshire and West Yorkshire and includes the towns of Ilkley, Otley and Wetherby. The northern side of Lower Wharfedale, opposite Ilkley, Burley-in-Wharfedale and Otley, is in the Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The Yorkshire Dales Rivers Trust has a remit to conserve the ecological condition of Wharfedale, Wensleydale, Swaledale and Nidderdale catchments from their headwaters to the Humber estuary.Wharfedale line
The Wharfedale line is one of the rail services in the West Yorkshire Metro area of northern England. The service connects Ilkley with Leeds and Bradford, and is operated by Northern. West Yorkshire Metrocards are available for use on the line, covering Zones 3–5. The line is served predominantly by four-coach Class 333 electric multiple units.
Places adjacent to Addingham