Abucay, officially the Municipality of Abucay, (Tagalog: Bayan ng Abucay; Kapampangan: Balen ning Abucay), is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Bataan, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 39,880 people.
The mainly agricultural and fishing town is situated on the northeastern portion of the Bataan Peninsula, along Manila Bay, with a total land area of 79.72 square kilometres (30.78 sq mi). It is 116 kilometres (72 mi) from Manila, accessible via the Bataan Provincial Expressway, off Exit 25, or the parallel National Road in Bataan. Its westernmost elevated section is located within the Bataan National Park.
|Municipality of Abucay|
Map of Bataan with Abucay highlighted
|Region||Central Luzon (Region III)|
|Barangays||9 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Liberato P. Santiago, Jr.|
|• Vice Mayor||Khristine G. Dela Fuente|
|• Electorate||25,318 voters (2016)|
|• Total||79.72 km2 (30.78 sq mi)|
|• Density||500/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)47|
|Climate type||Tropical monsoon climate|
|Income class||3rd municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||110.7 million (2016)|
Abucay originated from abu-kinaykay meaning "digging the ashes or fire debris". A Spaniard arrived in the town amid a big fire that destroyed properties. The natives were busy digging the debris with shovel ("kinaykay").
The first printing press in the Archipelago was found in this town. Tomas Pinpin, the first Filipino printer, learned the art from Fray Francisco Blanca de San Jose and Juan de Vera, a Chinese printer at the University of Santo Tomas.
On June 23, 1647, a fierce battle was fought between the Dutch invaders and the Pampango defenders in the near the Abucay church area. Nearly 200 Pampangos were put to death and 40 others together with Pampanga’s Spanish alcalde mayor (town mayor) Antonio de Cabrera together with Dominican priests Father Geronimo Sotomayor and Father Tomas Ramos were taken to Batavia.
Abucay is located at, in the north-eastern section of the Bataan peninsula.
According to the Philippine Statistics Authority, the municipality has a land area of 79.72 square kilometres (30.78 sq mi)  constituting 5.81% of the 1,372.98-square-kilometre- (530.11 sq mi) total area of Bataan.
Topography of Abucay varies from the mountainous terrain of Mount Natib caldera in the west to the coastal areas of the province along the shore of Manila Bay. Six rivers with a combined length of 37 kilometres (23 mi) originate from the mountain flowing in the west-to-east direction.
Secondary forests cover the western mountainous portion which is nearly 38% of Abucay's land area.
|Population census of Abucay|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, Abucay had a population of 39,880. The population density was 500 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,300/sq mi).
Abucay is basically an agricultural and fishing town. Besides Manila Bay, existing fishponds cover an area of 1,521 hectares (3,760 acres) of which 319 hectares (790 acres) are under intensive use while the rest are non-functioning but available for utilization. These fishponds are rich with commercial species like milkfish, tilapia, pla-pla and shrimps.
Agricultural lands in Abucay produces rice, corn, root crops, legumes, vegetable and various kinds of fruits as well as forest-grown bamboo and buho. Most of the walis tambo (local brooms) sold in Baguio City come from Abucay.
The political seat of the municipal government is located at the Municipal Hall (also called Town Hall). During the Spanish colonial period, the Gobernadorcillo was the chief executive who held office at the town hall, then called the Presidencia.
During the American period from 1898–1946, the elected Mayor and local officials, including the appointed ones hold office at the Municipal Town Hall. The executive and legislative departments perform their functions at the Sangguniang Bayan (Session Hall) and Municipal Trial Court, respectively, which are located at the Municipal Hall.
Abucay's incumbent elected officials are Mayor Liberato P. Santiago (NPC), a land developer and a nth-time re-electionist, and Vice Mayor Ma. Khristine G. Dela Fuente (Lakas-Kampi-CMD). Santiago owns various villages and subdivisions - all converted from ricefields or fishponds. The eight (8) Sangguniang Bayan members led by the Vice Mayor hold office at the Abucay Sangguniang Bayan Session Hall.
Electric power for Abucay is served by the Peninsula Electric Cooperative (PENELCO).
One of the oldest in the Philippines, the first Abucay Church was established in 1587 and was administered by the Dominicans in 1588. The present church was built sometime in the early 1600s, the exact year is still unknown. The Church was badly damaged by the earthquake of September 16, 1852, and again by a fire in 1870. Father Jose Diego Pelaez rebuilt the church.
The church still houses the bells donated in 1839 and 1859. The five bells of the Abucay Church were restored on January 17, 1978, by U.S. Naval Base Facility in Subic Bay, Zambales province according to a historical marker in the church.
The Parish of Saint Dominic de Guzman has a population of 19,501 Catholics. Its patron saint is Saint Dominic de Guzman and the town's feast day is August 8. The present parish priest is Rev. Fr. Josue V. Enero succeeding Rev. Msgr. Remigio R. Hizon, Jr. in June 2017. The church belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Balanga under the Vicariate of Saint Dominic de Guzman.
Landmarks include the following:
The Saint Dominic Parish Church (Tagalog: Simbahan ng Parokya ni Santo Domingo de Guzman), also known as Abucay Church, is a 17th-century Baroque church located at Brgy. Laon, Abucay, Bataan, Philippines. The parish church, founded by the Dominican Missionary Friars in 1588, is dedicated to Saint Dominic of Guzman. The parish is under the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Balanga.The church housed one of the earliest printing presses in the Philippines, established in 1608 by Father Francisco Blancas de San Jose, O.P. and Tomas Pinpin who used the facility to print books in Spanish and Tagalog. The church was also a witness to the massacre of hundreds of Filipinos and Spaniards by the Dutch Invaders in June 23, 1647. These pieces of the church's history were inscribed on a historical marker installed by the National Historical Committee (now the National Historical Commission of the Philippines) in 1939.Alexander R. Nininger
Alexander Ramsey Nininger Jr. (October 20, 1918 – January 12, 1942) was a Second Lieutenant of the Philippine Scouts who received the Medal of Honor during World War II.Bamboo
The bamboos (listen) are evergreen perennial flowering plants in the subfamily Bambusoideae of the grass family Poaceae. The word "bamboo" comes from the Kannada term bambu (ಬಂಬು), which was introduced to English through Indonesian and Malay.In bamboo, as in other grasses, the internodal regions of the stem are usually hollow and the vascular bundles in the cross-section are scattered throughout the stem instead of in a cylindrical arrangement. The dicotyledonous woody xylem is also absent. The absence of secondary growth wood causes the stems of monocots, including the palms and large bamboos, to be columnar rather than tapering.Bamboos include some of the fastest-growing plants in the world, due to a unique rhizome-dependent system. Certain species of bamboo can grow 91 cm (36 in) within a 24-hour period, at a rate of almost 4 cm (1.6 in) an hour (a growth around 1 mm every 90 seconds, or 1 inch every 40 minutes). Giant bamboos are the largest members of the grass family.
Bamboos are of notable economic and cultural significance in South Asia, Southeast Asia and East Asia, being used for building materials, as a food source, and as a versatile raw product. Bamboo has a higher specific compressive strength than wood, brick or concrete, and a specific tensile strength that rivals steel.Baroque Churches of the Philippines
The Baroque Churches of the Philippines are a collection of four Spanish Colonial-era baroque churches in the Philippines, which were included in UNESCO's World Heritage List in 1993. The churches are also considered as national cultural treasures of the country.Colegio de San Juan de Letran
Colegio de San Juan de Letran (CSJL), is a private Roman Catholic Dominican institution of higher learning located in Intramuros, Manila, in the Philippines. The college was founded in 1620. Colegio de San Juan de Letran has the distinction of being the oldest college in the Philippines and the oldest secondary institution in Asia. It is owned and administered by the friars of the Order of Preachers (Dominicans) of the Philippine Dominican Province. The school has produced Philippine presidents, revolutionary heroes, poets, legislators, members of the clergy, jurists, and it is also one of the only Philippine schools that has produced several Catholic saints who lived and studied on its campus. The school's patron saint is St. John the Baptist. The campus contains two statues, representing the two foremost alumni in the fields of secular and religious service: former Philippine President Manuel L. Quezon and Vietnamese Saint Vicente Liem de la Paz.
Letran has programs in Business, Management, Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Information Technology, Digital Arts, Communication Arts, Accountancy, Engineering. The colleges are divided into six departments: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS), College of Business Administration and Accountancy (CBAA), College of Education (CoEd), Institute of Communication (iCOMM), Institute of Information Technology (iIT), College of Engineering (CoE). The Colegio has successful athletic programs, particularly in basketball, football (soccer), volleyball, taekwondo, and tennis. Through the years Letran has produced numerous athletes that have donned the national colors (especially in basketball) in international events like the Olympics, Asian Games, Southeast Asian Games, Jones Cup, and FIBA World Championship. Letran is a long-time member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.
The Colegio was given Level 3 accreditation by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities in the Elementary department, the highest possible level for basic education; Level 2 for the High School department, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS), and the College of Business Administration and Accountancy (CBAA).Letran remains in its original campus in Intramuros, Manila and is a member of the Intramuros Consortium.Ding Roman
Leonardo "Ding" Banzon Roman is a former Governor of the Province of Bataan in the Philippines. He served the Province of Bataan as its Governor for seventeen years from 1986 to 2004, having won a total of five gubernatorial elections following his appointment as Officer-in-Charge of Bataan during the Presidency of Corazon Aquino.Dominican College of Tarlac
The Dominican College of Tarlac (abbreviated as DCT) is a Catholic school founded by the Fr. Mariano Sablay in 1947. It was established as San Nicolas Academy with only 35 students.
Its campus is located in Capas, Tarlac in the Philippines with more than 3000 students and more than 100 staff members.
Saint Dominic, the founder of Order of Preachers (O.P.), is the patron saint of the school.Dominican Order
The Order of Preachers (Latin: Ordo Praedicatorum, postnominal abbreviation OP), also known as the Dominican Order, is a mendicant Catholic religious order founded by the Spanish priest Dominic of Caleruega (also called Dominic de Guzmán) in France, approved by Pope Honorius III via the Papal bull Religiosam vitam on 22 December 1216. Members of the order, who are referred to as Dominicans, generally carry the letters OP after their names, standing for Ordinis Praedicatorum, meaning of the Order of Preachers. Membership in the order includes friars, nuns, active sisters, and affiliated lay or secular Dominicans (formerly known as tertiaries, though recently there has been a growing number of associates who are unrelated to the tertiaries).
Founded to preach the Gospel and to oppose heresy, the teaching activity of the order and its scholastic organisation placed the Preachers in the forefront of the intellectual life of the Middle Ages. The order is famed for its intellectual tradition, having produced many leading theologians and philosophers. In the year 2017 there were 5,742 Dominican friars, including 4,302 priests. The Dominican Order is headed by the Master of the Order, currently Bruno Cadoré.
A number of other names have been used to refer to both the order and its members.
In England and other countries the Dominican friars are referred to as "Black Friars" because of the black cappa or cloak they wear over their white habits. Dominicans were "Blackfriars", as opposed to "Whitefriars" (i.e., Carmelites) or "Greyfriars" (i.e., Franciscans). They are also distinct from the Augustinian Friars (the Austin friars) who wear a similar habit.
In France, the Dominicans were known as "Jacobins" because their convent in Paris was attached to the Church of Saint-Jacques, now disappeared, on the way to Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas, which belonged to the Italian Order of Saint James of Altopascio (St. James) Sanctus Iacobus in Latin.
Their identification as Dominicans gave rise to the pun that they were the "Domini canes", or "Hounds of the Lord".Fort Hughes
Fort Hughes (Caballo Island, the Philippines) was part of the Harbor Defenses of Manila and Subic Bays built by the Philippine Department of the U.S. Army in the early 1900s. The fort was named for Major General Robert P. Hughes, a veteran of the American Civil War, Spanish–American War, and the Philippine–American War.Francisco Balagtas
Francisco Balagtas (born Francisco Baltazar y de la Cruz; April 2, 1788 – February 20, 1862), also known as Francisco Baltazar, was a prominent Filipino poet, and is widely considered one of the greatest Filipino literary laureates for his impact on Filipino literature. The famous epic Florante at Laura is regarded as his defining work.
The surname "Baltazar", sometimes misconstrued as a pen name, was a legal surname Balagtas adopted after the 1849 edict of Governor-General Narciso Claveria y Zaldua, which mandated that the native population adopt standard Spanish surnames instead of native ones.
His mentor was José de la Cruz, otherwise known as Joseng Sisiw.Himig Handog
Himig Handog (Eng: Melody Offering) is a multimedia songwriting and music video competition in the Philippines based in Quezon City. The organization is operated by ABS-CBN and Star Music, the music subsidiary of ABS-CBN. The contest ran from 2000 to 2003 and was later revived in 2013. The theme of the contest has been love songs since 2002.Since its revival, it is popularly regarded as "the country's premier songwriting contest" with Pinoy songwriters and composers submitting thousands of original compositions annually, and the country's top singers interpreting the songs in a live event.History of Fort Lauderdale, Florida
The history of Fort Lauderdale, Florida began more than 4,000 years ago with the arrival of the first aboriginal natives, and later with the Tequesta Indians, who inhabited the area for more than a thousand years. Though control of the area changed among Spain, England, the United States, and the Confederate States of America, it remained largely undeveloped until the 20th century. The first settlement in the area was the site of a massacre at the beginning of the Second Seminole War, an event which precipitated the abandonment of the settlement and set back development in the area by over 50 years. The first United States stockade named Fort Lauderdale was built in 1838, and subsequently was a site of fighting during the Second Seminole War. The fort was abandoned in 1842, after the end of the war, and the area remained virtually unpopulated until the 1890s.
The Fort Lauderdale area was known as the "New River Settlement" prior to the 20th century. While a few pioneer families lived in the area since the late 1840s, it was not until the Florida East Coast Railroad built tracks through the area in the mid-1890s that any organized development began. The city was incorporated in 1911, and in 1915 was designated the county seat of newly formed Broward County.Fort Lauderdale's first major development began in the 1920s, during the Florida land boom of the 1920s. The 1926 Miami Hurricane and the Great Depression of the 1930s caused a great deal of economic dislocation. When World War II began, Fort Lauderdale became a major US Navy base, with a Naval Air Station to train pilots, radar and fire control operator training schools, and a Coast Guard base at Port Everglades. After the war ended, service members returned to the area, spurring an enormous population explosion which dwarfed the 1920s boom. In the 1970s, Ft.Lauderdale beach became a mecca for runaways and a group of approximately 60-150 runaways formed a group called "The Family",.Most resorted to petty crimes to support themselves and others. Today, Fort Lauderdale is a major yachting center, one of the nation's biggest tourist destinations, and the center of a metropolitan division of 1.8 million people.Holy Trinity University
Holy Trinity University (HTU) is a private sectarian university in Puerto Princesa City in the province of Palawan, run by the Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine of Siena.
Holy Trinity University is a dynamic center of Catholic education in Palawan, Philippines.Mariveleño language
Mariveleño (also known as Magbikin, Bataan Ayta, or Magbukun Ayta) is a Sambalic language. It has around 500 speakers (Wurm 2000) and is spoken within an Aeta community in Mariveles in the Philippines.Mussel
Mussel () is the common name used for members of several families of bivalve molluscs, from saltwater and freshwater habitats. These groups have in common a shell whose outline is elongated and asymmetrical compared with other edible clams, which are often more or less rounded or oval.
The word "mussel" is frequently used to mean the bivalves of the marine family Mytilidae, most of which live on exposed shores in the intertidal zone, attached by means of their strong byssal threads ("beard") to a firm substrate. A few species (in the genus Bathymodiolus) have colonised hydrothermal vents associated with deep ocean ridges.
In most marine mussels the shell is longer than it is wide, being wedge-shaped or asymmetrical. The external colour of the shell is often dark blue, blackish, or brown, while the interior is silvery and somewhat nacreous.
The common name "mussel" is also used for many freshwater bivalves, including the freshwater pearl mussels. Freshwater mussel species inhabit lakes, ponds, rivers, creeks, canals, and they are classified in a different subclass of bivalves, despite some very superficial similarities in appearance.
Freshwater zebra mussels and their relatives in the family Dreissenidae are not related to previously mentioned groups, even though they resemble many Mytilus species in shape, and live attached to rocks and other hard surfaces in a similar manner, using a byssus. They are classified with the Heterodonta, the taxonomic group which includes most of the bivalves commonly referred to as "clams".Philippine Scouts
The Philippine Scouts (Filipino: Maghahanap ng Pilipinas or Hukbong Maghahanap ng Pilipinas) was a military organization of the United States Army from 1901 until after the end of World War II. These troops were generally Filipinos and Filipino-Americans assigned to the United States Army Philippine Department, under the command of white American commissioned officers (though a handful of Filipino Americans received commissions from the United States Military Academy). Philippine Scout units were given the suffix "(PS)", to distinguish them from other U.S. Army units.
The first Scout companies were organized by the US in 1901 to combat the Philippine revolutionary forces led at that time by General Emilio Aguinaldo. In 1919–20, the PS companies were grouped into regiments as part of the US Army and redesignated the 43d, 44th, 45th, and 57th Infantry Regiments, plus the 24th and 25th Field Artillery Regiments, the 26th Cavalry Regiment (PS) and the 91st and 92nd Coast Artillery Regiments. Service and support formations were also organized as engineer, medical, quartermaster and military police units. The infantry and field artillery regiments were grouped together with the U.S. 31st Infantry Regiment to form the U.S. Army’s Philippine Division. At this point, the Scouts became the U.S. Army’s front line troops in the Pacific.
The Philippine Department assigned the Scouts to subdue the Moro tribes on the island of Mindanao (see Moro rebellion), and to establish tranquility throughout the islands. In the 1930s, Philippine Scouts, along with the 31st Infantry Regiment, saw action at Jolo, Palawan.
Philippine Scout regiments became the first United States Army units to be in combat during World War II, until the surrender of USAFFE in May 1942. Even after that some individual soldiers and units refused to surrender and become beginning elements of the resistance to the Japanese occupation. Later paroled POWs would also join the resistance.Telephone numbers in the Philippines
Telephone numbers in the Philippines follow an open telephone numbering plan and an open dial plan. Both plans are regulated by the National Telecommunications Commission, an attached agency under the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).
The Philippines is assigned an international dialling code of 63 by ITU-T. Telephone numbers are fixed at seven digits, with area codes fixed at one, two, or three digits (a six-digit system was used until the mid-1990s; four to five digits were used in the countryside). Mobile phone numbers are always 10 digits (three digits for the service provider, plus a seven-digit number).
When making long-distance calls in the Philippines, the prefix 0 for domestic calls and 00 for international calls are used.Tomás Pinpin
Tomás Pinpin was a printer, writer and publisher from Abucay, a municipality in the province of Bataan, Philippines, who was the first Filipino printer and is sometimes referred as the "Prince of the Filipino Printers."
Pinpin is remembered for being the first native Filipino to publish and print a book, "Librong Pagaaralan nang mga Tagalog nang Uicang Castilla" in 1610, entirely written by himself in the old Tagalog orthography.University of Santo Tomas–Legazpi
The University of Santo Tomas–Legazpi (UST–Legazpi), formerly Aquinas University of Legazpi (AUL), is a Catholic University in Legazpi City, Philippines run and owned by the Dominican Fathers/Order of Preachers (OP). It was founded by Don Buenaventura de Erquiaga in 1948 as Legazpi Junior Colleges; the name subsequently changed to Legazpi College, and it became a university in 1968.UST-Legazpi, despite its name, is an autonomous university in its own right, separate from the University of Santo Tomas in Manila.
Places adjacent to Abucay, Bataan