A696 road

The A696 is a major road in Northern England, that runs from Otterburn in Northumberland to Newcastle upon Tyne.

UK road A696

A696
Cadgers Burn - geograph.org.uk - 656584
The A696 in Northumberland
Major junctions
North endOtterburn
  A68
A1
A167
South endNewcastle upon Tyne
Location
Primary
destinations
Ponteland
Newcastle Airport
Newcastle upon Tyne
Road network

Route

The A696 begins at a junction with the A68 road (to Edinburgh and Corbridge). It heads in a south-easterly direction through the village of Otterburn, and then past Kirkwhelpington. It meets the B6342 road (to Rothbury) and then goes through the village of Belsay and the small town of Ponteland. The A696 becomes dual carriageway standard just before passing Newcastle Airport, with the junctions after the airport all being grade separated. The A696 terminates at a roundabout with the A1 road (to Gateshead) and the A167 road (into central Newcastle).

External links

Coordinates: 55°07′48″N 1°56′42″W / 55.1299°N 1.9449°W

Kirkharle

Kirkharle (otherwise Kirk Harle) is a hamlet in the county of Northumberland in Northern England located about 12 miles (19 km) west of the town of Morpeth, just to the west of the crossroads of the A696 and B6342 roads. It is famous as the birthplace of Lancelot 'Capability' Brown in the early eighteenth century.

Kirkharle Hall

Kirkharle Hall was a country house at Kirkharle, Northumberland, England, the former seat of the Loraine family, now much reduced and in use as a farmhouse. The Hall is in the upper reaches of the Wansbeck valley; almost adjacent to the A696 road; 12 miles (19 km) west of Morpeth; and 2 miles (3.2 km) southeast of Kirkwhelpington.

Otterburn Hall

Otterburn Hall is an English country house and estate in Otterburn, Northumberland. It is situated in 500 acres (200 ha) of deer park and woodland in the Northumberland National Park, northeastern England. The building was constructed in 1870 for Lord James Douglas, the land given to him as recompense for the death of Lord James Douglas, who fought at the Battle of Otterburn, and was killed near Otterburn Tower (originally a castle), itself founded in 1086, and rebuilt in 1830. Both Otterburn Hall and Otterburn Castle have been seats of landed gentry.From 1980 to 2012, Otterburn Hall was used as a hotel. The house is Grade-II listed with English Heritage, and rated with four-stars by the Architectural Association School of Architecture.

Otterburn Mill

Otterburn Mill is a mill in Otterburn, Northumberland, northeast England. It lies just south of the Otterburn Tower along the A696 road next to a bridge over the River Rede.It was owned by the Waddell family for many years and is over 250 years old.

The mill is noted for its pram rugs and its crowning moment was on the birth of Princess Elizabeth in 1926, when Buckingham Palace contacted the mill requiring a small rug for the royal pram. It is now a retail outlet, with a restaurant and coffee shop and nursery.

Ponteland Castle

Ponteland Castle is a 13th-century stone tower house on the A696 road, 8 miles north-west of Newcastle upon Tyne, in Northumberland. Founded by William de Valence, part of it was destroyed in a Scottish raid in 1388. In the 17th century it became part of a Jacobean manor house.The building is now occupied by the Blackbird Inn, and is rumoured to contain an old tunnel connecting it to St Mary's church across the road. The tunnel was supposedly bricked up behind the fireplace in The Tunnel Room.

St John the Evangelist's Church, Otterburn

St John the Evangelist's Church is a church in Otterburn, Northumberland, northeast England, located off the A696 road.

Sweethope Loughs

Sweethope Loughs are two freshwater lakes almost 1 mile (1.6 km) in length, the smaller one just east of the larger, in the southern part of Northumberland, England and lying between the A68 road, and the A696 road. They lie about 18 miles (29 km) west of Morpeth; 4 miles (6 km) west of Kirkwhelpington; and 6 miles (10 km) east of Bellingham. There is a crossing between the two lakes, which are lined with trees and surrounded by hills. To the north west are Great Wanney Crag and Little Wanney Crag.

A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.