A688 road

The A688 is a road in County Durham in North East England.

It begins at the junction with the A67 road in Barnard Castle and continues in a north easterly direction for 25 miles (40 km), terminating at the A181 to the east of Durham City.

The road passes through the village of Staindrop, past Raby Castle through West Auckland, Bishop Auckland and on to Spennymoor. It then continues through the Thinford intersection with the A167 to Junction 61 of the A1(M) at Bowburn. The latest extension to the road from the A1(M) to the A181 was opened on 30 October 2008.[1]

The road is single-carriageway except for a short 800 m (870 yd) stretch of dual-carriageway at Spennymoor.

UK road A688

A688
Route information
Length25.2 mi (40.6 km)
HistoryBowburn to Byers Garth section finished 30 October 2008
Major junctions
South West endBarnard Castle
54°32′55″N 1°54′48″W / 54.5487°N 1.9132°W
  A67
A68
A6072
A689
A167
A177
A1(M)
A181
North East endByers Garth, near Sherburn Hospital54°45′45″N 1°30′18″W / 54.7626°N 1.5051°W
Location
Primary
destinations
Bishop Auckland
Road network

References

  1. ^ "Minister opens new £11.4m road link between Wheatley Hill and Bowburn". The Northern Echo. 30 October 2008. Retrieved 4 November 2008.

Coordinates: 54°38′07″N 1°42′49″W / 54.6352°N 1.7136°W

A67 road

The A67 is a road in England that links Bowes in County Durham with Crathorne in North Yorkshire. The A66 from Middlesbrough to Darlington was previously the A67 road.

Peterlee

Peterlee is a small town in County Durham, England, founded in 1948, and built under the auspices of the New Towns Act 1946. It has economic and community ties with Sunderland, Hartlepool and Durham.

Staindrop

Staindrop is a village and civil parish east of Barnard Castle in County Durham, England. The population (including Cleatlam and Killerby) at the 2011 census was 1,310.The village has one of the long greens typical of County Durham.

The oldest parts of the Church of England parish church of St Mary are Anglo-Saxon, built in the 10th or 11th century. The church contains monuments including effigies of members of the Neville family.

Raby Castle and its gardens are to the north of Staindrop. The village has a Spar shop and a post office.

About 3 miles (5 km) north-west of the village is Raby Old Lodge, a medieval tower house built probably for the Neville family of Raby Castle. It was restored in the 19th century and now used as holiday accommodation.

The Deanery is home to Major William Kemp Trotter, a former Deputy Lieutenant of County Durham, and his wife Mary Holcroft.

The village has a number of locally owned businesses including a local newsagent, the Cutting Room and a tea shop. It has a small industrial estate that is used by mainly local businesses such as joiners and plumbers.

Staindrop has two schools: Staindrop Church of England Primary School and Staindrop School (secondary). It has one pub, the Wheatsheaf Inn, which villagers commonly refer to as the "Top House".

The surveyor Jeremiah Dixon, who with Charles Mason calculated and laid out the Mason–Dixon line in North America, is buried in Staindrop. His unmarked grave is in the Quaker burial ground adjoining the old Friends' Meeting House. Thomas Pynchon's historical fiction novel Mason & Dixon mentions Staindrop as containing Jeremiah Dixon's favourite public house.

West Auckland

West Auckland is a village in County Durham, in North East England, to the west of Bishop Auckland on the A688 road.

It is not known exactly when West Auckland was first inhabited, but there is evidence of Auckland West in the history of St. Cuthbert in the 11th century. The Boldon Book in 1183 showed that at that time West Auckland was inhabited by a number of serfs who were part of the tenantry of the Bishop of Durham, Hugh de Puiset, the first of the Prince Bishops.

The creation of a church dedicated to St. Helen in the 13th century in Auckland West heralded the beginning of a separate community in what later became known as St. Helen Auckland.

After the opening of the Stockton and Darlington railway in 1825, the search for coal escalated dramatically in the West Auckland area and the population increased as a consequence with the promise of employment. By the turn of the century, West Auckland colliery employed 620 men. The colliery closed in July 1967.

The village of West Auckland is reputed to have one of the largest village greens in the country, lined with 17th and 18th-century buildings.

A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.