The A671 is a road in the North West of England, that runs between Oldham, Greater Manchester and Worston, near Clitheroe, Lancashire. Major towns on the route include Rochdale and Burnley. The road is approximately 35 miles (56 km) long. Between Burnley and the A59, the A671 has primary status.
|Length||35 mi (56 km)|
The southern end of the road, formerly part of the A627, was the main route from Oldham to Rochdale until it was bypassed by the A627(M) motorway in 1972. Between Rochdale and Bacup, the road passes through the small town of Whitworth. The 3-mile (4.8 km) section through the town is called Market Street, and has several speed cameras as well as being the scene of a number of accidents.
The road passes through the centre of Bacup, where it crosses the A681. It then processes through Broadclough and Weir before going over Deerplay Moor. It later crosses the A646 before reaching Burnley. North of Burnley the A671 is a primary road. There is a junction with the M65 motorway (junction 10) before the road passes through Padiham, a small town within the borough of Burnley. The A671 forms the main street through the town. Beyond Padiham is a stretch of the road known as the Devils Elbow, near the village of Read. Further to the north-west there is the junction with the A680.
The road then bypasses Whalley, and ends at a roundabout, joining the A59 near Barrow. 2 miles (3.2 km) further north-east, the road leaves the A59. This section of the A671 is non-primary and forms a loop through the town of Clitheroe, which is bypassed by the A59 to the south and east of the town. It heads to the north through Clitheroe, and heads east as it leaves the town, terminating at another junction with the A59 again near Worston.
There have been a large number of road traffic incidents on the A671 as it passes through the small hamlets of Broadclough and Weir near Bacup including fatalities. Currently police are monitoring the road and there have been calls from local residents, led by County Councillor Jimmy Easton, for the creation of a bypass with the suggestion of utilising elements of the old highway Bacup Old Road.
Bacup ( BAY-kəp) is a town in Lancashire, England, in the South Pennines close to Lancashire's boundary with West Yorkshire. The town is in the Rossendale Valley and the upper Irwell Valley, 3.5 miles (5.6 km) east of Rawtenstall, 6.4 miles (10.3 km) north of Rochdale, and 7 miles (11 km) south of Burnley. At the 2011 Census, Bacup had a population of 13,323.Bacup emerged as a settlement following the Anglo-Saxon settlement of Britain in the Early Middle Ages. For centuries, it was a small and obscure centre of domestic flannel and woollen cloth production, and many of the original weavers' cottages survive today as listed buildings. Following the Industrial Revolution, Bacup became a mill town, growing up around the now covered over bridge crossing the River Irwell and the North-South / East-West crossroad at its centre. During that time its landscape became dominated by distinctive and large rectangular woollen and cotton mills. Bacup received a charter of incorporation in 1882, giving it municipal borough status and its own elected town government, consisting of a mayor, aldermen and councillors to oversee local affairs.
In the late 20th century, Bacup became part of the borough of Rossendale. Bacup's historic character, culture and festivities have encouraged the town's suburbanisation and redevelopment as a more cosmopolitan commuter town for Manchester and other North West towns and cities, whilst English Heritage has proclaimed Bacup as the best preserved cotton town in England, and its town centre is designated as a protected area for its special architectural qualities.Listed buildings in Cliviger
Cliviger is a civil parish in the borough of Burnley, Lancashire, England. The parish contains 22 listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. Of these, two are listed at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade. Apart from small settlements, the parish is rural, and most of the listed buildings are or have been farmhouses, farm buildings, and associated structures. Also in the parish are large houses, a parish church, the base of a cross, a public house, two war memorials, and two boundary stones.Royton
Royton is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, Greater Manchester, England, with a population of 21,284 in 2011. Close to the source of the River Irk, near undulating land at the foothills of the South Pennines, it is 1.7 miles (2.7 km) northwest of Oldham, 3.2 miles (5.1 km) southeast of Rochdale and 7.6 miles (12.2 km) northeast of Manchester.
Historically part of Lancashire, Royton and its surroundings have provided evidence of ancient British, Roman and Viking activity in the area. During the Middle Ages, Royton formed a small township centred on Royton Hall, a manor house owned by a long succession of dignitaries which included the Byrons and Radcliffes. A settlement expanded outwards from the hall which, by as late as 1780, "contained only a few straggling and mean-built cottages". Farming was the main industry of this rural area, with locals supplementing their incomes by hand-loom woollen weaving in the domestic system.
Royton has the distinction of being the first town where a powered cotton mill was built; at Thorp in 1764, and is one of the first localities in the world to have adopted the factory system. The introduction of textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution facilitated a process of unplanned urbanisation in the area, and by the mid-19th century Royton had emerged as a mill town. At its zenith, there were 40 cotton mills—some of the largest in the United Kingdom—employing 80% of the local population. Imports of foreign cotton goods began the decline in Royton's textile industry during the mid-20th century, and its last mill closed in 2002.
Today, fewer than a dozen mills are still standing, the majority of which are used for light engineering or as distribution centres. Despite an economic depression brought about by the demise of cotton spinning, Royton's population has continued to grow as a result of intensive housing redevelopment which has modernised its former Edwardian districts.Shawforth
Shawforth is a ward in the township of Whitworth within the Rossendale borough of Lancashire, England. It lies amongst the South Pennines along the course of the River Spodden and A671 road.
Shawforth in the Middle Ages was a hamlet within the township of Spotland and parish of Rochdale.Shawforth railway station served Shawforth from 1881 until its closure in 1947.
It is part of the Rossendale and Darwen constituency, with Jake Berry having been the Member of Parliament since 2010.Simonstone, Lancashire
Simonstone is a small village and civil parish in the Ribble Valley district of Lancashire, England. The population of the civil parish taken at the 2011 census was 1,154. It is about 4 miles (6 km) west of Burnley and south of Pendle Hill and Clitheroe along the A671 road. The village adjoins the village of Read, Lancashire and neighbours Padiham.Weir, Lancashire
Weir is a village to the north of Bacup in the Rossendale borough of Lancashire, England, with a population of 1,251 at the 2011 Census. Anciently, Weir constituted a hamlet, but later emerged as an outlying suburb of Bacup town after the Burnley Road turnpike was built through the settlement at the end of the 18th Century.Whitworth, Lancashire
Whitworth is a small town and civil parish in Rossendale, Lancashire, England, amongst the foothills of the Pennines between Bacup, to the north, and Rochdale, to the south. It had a population of 7,500 at the 2011 Census.Whitworth spans the Whitworth Valley, a 7 square miles (18.1 km2) area consisting of Healey, Broadley, Whitworth, Facit and Shawforth, linked by the A671 road. Several smaller hamlets are now part of Whitworth, such as Cowm Top, which was removed to make way for Cowm Reservoir.Whitworth is twinned with Kandel, Germany.
A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme