The A64 is a major road in North and West Yorkshire, England, which links Leeds, York and Scarborough. The A64 starts as the A64(M) ring road motorway in Leeds, then towards York it becomes a high-quality dual carriageway until it is east of York, where it becomes a single carriageway for most of its route to Scarborough.
A64 flyover located south of Fulford
|Length||70 mi (110 km)|
Leeds, York, Malton, Scarborough
The road begins in Leeds as the motorway A64(M) at Richmond Hill and the Woodpecker Junction, and close to the West Yorkshire Playhouse and the NHS's imposing Quarry House. It leads onto the York Road, passing All Saints Richmond Hill CE Primary School where there is a flyover for Lupton Avenue, and a left turn for the B6159 Harehills Lane near the Victoria Primary School. At Killingbeck, the A63 forks to the right at its western terminus. It passes Asda on the left, with the Killingbeck Retail Park, and Seacroft Hospital on the right. It meets Foundry Lane and Cross Gates Road at a roundabout next to Killingbeck police station. It meets, and overlaps with, the Leeds Outer Ring Road (A6120) at a roundabout near Swarcliffe next to St Theresa's RC Primary School, and at Seacroft there is a roundabout where the A64 leaves to the right, with the Ramada Leeds North hotel to the east.
At Arthursdale it passes over the former Wetherby - Cross Gates railway line. At Saw Wood it is crossed by the Leeds Country Way. The section from Leeds to Bramham was scheduled for improvement in two stages, but this was cancelled in the mid-1980s. Just before junction 45 of the A1(M), the road enters North Yorkshire, and the district of Selby. At the Bramham Moor Interchange there are access roads to Aberford and Bramham (former A1). Where the road meets the A1, it used to pass unhindered as a dual carriageway, but since the motorway section of the A1(M) was opened on 4 February 1999, the road now has a roundabout. East of the junction at Stutton with Hazlewood, the Roman Ridge joins the road, which the A64 follows until the Tadcaster bypass. The four-mile £8.9 million dual carriageway Tadcaster Bypass opened in September 1978. The A659 (former route) is to the left, with University of Leeds Headley Hall Farm to the west. On the bypass there is a junction for the A162 (for Towton) near Stutton.
It crosses the River Wharfe south of the breweries of Samuel Smith and John Smith. Near to the right is Oxton Hall, home of Humphrey Smith. At Oxton the road rejoins the former route. On the eastbound side is the Total Bilbrough Filling Station, with the York East Little Chef and Travelodge at the point where the Roman road (and Ebor Way) join from the west, briefly following the road. In February 2004, work began on a new £11 million flyover at the Colton Lane/Bilbrough Top junction, allowing for the closing of the central reserve. The central reserve had long been an accident blackspot, and residents of the local villages had campaigned for its closure. The flyover was opened on 9 June 2005 by Dr Stephen Ladyman. The BP Bilbrough Top Service Station on the west-bound side was built as well, with a McDonald's. At the turn-off for Askham Richard, the road enters the City of York next to the Buckles Inn. On the left is Askham Bryan College (agricultural), then Copmanthorpe is on the right, followed by Bishopthorpe (where the Archbishop of York lives). There is a junction for York's northern bypass (A1237), which was built in the late 1980s, and on the left is Pike Hills golf club and Askham Bogs nature reserve where the road is followed by NCN 66. The East Coast Main Line (Selby Diversion) passes under the A1036 junction for York to the left. To the east of the junction, the former ECML (through Selby, now NCN 65) is crossed, south of York College. The road then crosses the River Ouse. The nine-mile £12 million dual carriageway York Bypass opened in April 1976. It passes under the B1222 and meets the A19 at the Fulford Interchange, near the headquarters of Persimmon plc, and is crossed by the Minster Way, then the Wilberforce Way.
It passes close to the University of York, near the busy A1079 Hull road/A166 junction in Dunnington. The University is now much closer to the bypass due to its new Heslington East campus, and the Grimston Bar Park and Ride is accessed from the same junction. At Murton it crosses the Derwent Valley Light Railway. The York bypass terminates at the Hopgrove Roundabout (named after the nearby Hopgrove pub) in Stockton-on-the-Forest with the A1036 (former route) and A1237 near Forest Park golf club. This roundabout has lengthy queues at peak time, and is scheduled to eventually become a grade separated junction. Going east in the direction of Scarborough, it passes the Highwayman cafe on the left, and the Vertigrow Garden Centre, close to where the former York to Beverley Line crossed. Next is the Four Alls Inn at Stockton-on-the-Forest, followed by The Tanglewood. At the turn-off for Sand Hutton is an agricultural research laboratory (Food and Environment Research Agency), where the road enters the district of Ryedale and re-enters North Yorkshire. It passes Claxton Hall and a right turn for Claxton, and left turn for Flaxton.
At Harton there is the Malton Little Chef on the left, opposite the Gulf Coastways Service Station at Flaxton, just after a turn-off to the right for Harton. There is a dual carriageway section near Barton-le-Willows which includes Barton Hill, a steep section just before Whitwell-on-the-Hill, crossing the York to Scarborough Line. From here to Malton, the road follows the River Derwent (former boundary between the North and East ridings). It passes through Crambeck, where it is crossed by the Centenary Way and there is a right turn for High Hutton at Huttons Ambo. The road and avenue towards Castle Howard, including the Yorkshire Arboretum, are here on the left. The five-mile £8.2 million dual carriageway Malton Bypass opened in December 1978. The former route is the B1257 and B1248. There is an intersection with the A169 (for Pickering, Whitby and the North York Moors) near Eden Camp Museum. The bypass crosses the River Derwent and the railway. It meets the former route at Scagglethorpe. Before Scagglethorpe village, the road has been improved to the north to reduce curvature. The single carriageway sections of this road are dangerous, and local people hope for a new dual carriageway. There are plans for a bypass of Rillington. In Rillington it passes The Fleece and the Coach and Horses. There is a left turn for Scampston. At West Knapton there is a left turn for the B1258. It passes through West Heslerton and East Heslerton, then passes the Snooty Fox. In Sherburn it passes the East Riding. Sherburn was formerly in the (historic) East Riding, being south of the Derwent. East of the village is the large Atlas Ward Structures factory.
At Ganton it passes the Greyhound. To the south, the road follows the northern edge of the Yorkshire Wolds. At Willerby, it meets the B1249 from the south. At neighbouring Staxton it meets the A1039 for Filey. On top of the hill to the south is RAF Staxton Wold, a radar station. A three-mile Staxton Diversion has been planned. The road passes the Hare and Hounds and the Shell Staxton and a mile northwards from the A1039 roundabout, it follows the district boundary with Scarborough, across the River Hertford. The two-mile £7 million single carriageway Seamer and Crossgates Bypass opened in February 1988. It leaves the former route (B1261) at a roundabout, following the railway to Scarborough. It crosses the Yorkshire Coast Line to Filey, next to Seamer Junction where both lines meet for Scarborough, and passes Seamer railway station. There is a roundabout for Eastfield and the B1261. There is the TOTAL Musham Bank Service Station on the left. Near Oliver's Mount, there is a right turn for the B1427. The route travels through the Edgehill and Falsgrave areas of the town, passing the Lidl supermarket and Seamer Road Retail Park. The A64 ends at the junction with the A165, outside Scarborough railway station and the Stephen Joseph Theatre
|Eastbound exits||Junction||Westbound exits|
|(M621)||Road continues as A64 to Selby, York & Scarborough|
|St James's Hospital A61||Eastgate, Bus station A61|
|Road continues as A58(M) around Leeds|
|Westbound exits||Junction||Eastbound exits|
|Road continues as A64(M)|
|(M1) A63||(M1) A63|
|Leeds Ring Road A6120||Leeds Ring Road A6120|
|Tadcaster, Islington A659||Tadcaster, Islington A659|
|Driffield A166 Beverley A1079||Beverley A1079 Driffield A166|
|York A1036||Selby (A19), York A1237|
|Selby (A19), York A1237||York A1036|
|Malton, Pickering A169||Malton, Pickering A169|
|Norton-on-Derwent, B1248||Norton-on-Derwent B1248|
|Snainton B1258||Snainton B1258|
|Filey, Muston A1039||Filey, Muston A1039|
|Crossgates B1261 (A170)||Crossgates B1261 (A170)|
|Road continues as A171 to Scarborough|
|Length||0.7 mi (1.1 km)|
|From||Quarry Hill, Leeds|
The A64(M), together with the A58(M), form a ring road around city centre of Leeds. It was built as an extension from the existing ring road, to relieve Leeds from severe traffic congestion. The motorway section of the ring road forms a semicircle around the north of the city centre. It is classified as a motorway to prohibit certain types of traffic and pedestrians but is not designed to modern motorway standards: it has no hard shoulders and many exits are unsuitable for a true motorway, including a right-side (fast lane) slip road exit. Most of it runs in a concrete-walled cutting, but it goes into a tunnel under the Leeds General Infirmary. The motorway cuts through inner-city neighbourhoods such as Woodhouse, Sheepscar, and Buslingthorpe, forming an important link in the road network by allowing traffic from the A65, A660, A58, A61 and A64 to bypass the city centre completely.
The Roads for Prosperity white paper, published by the Department for Transport in 1989, included proposals to upgrade the section between the north-eastern end of the York bypass at Hop Grove and the start of the Malton bypass to dual carriageway. This would have run on the existing road alignment. Shortly after, the Department for Transport published proposals to build a new road between the eastern end of the Malton bypass and the then recently completed Seamer bypass. The plan was for the new road to run parallel to the York to Scarborough railway and would have been to the north of the existing road. Most of the road would have been built as a dual carriageway, apart from the most easterly section. The existing route would have become a local access road. Detailed work was undertaken in the early 1990s but both proposals were shelved in the late 1990s and have not been subsequently reinvestigated.
On 7 June 1992, Special Police Constable Glenn Goodman, was shot by the IRA near to Tadcaster on the A64. PC Goodman and his partner had stopped the car that the IRA men were travelling in as a routine stop and search inquiry. When they became suspicious and radioed for back up, the occupants of the detained car opened fire. PC Goodman was seriously injured and died later in hospital; his partner, PC Sandy Kelly was seriously injured but later recovered. Both police officers were not armed at the time of the incident. The IRA gunmen who shot the two PC's escaped and after a manhunt were later imprisoned and then released under the Good Friday Agreement.
A memorial to PC Goodman was erected near to where he fell at the junction of Station Road and Wetherby Road in Tadcaster.
A64 or A-64 may refer to:
A64 road (England), a road connecting Leeds and Scarborough
A64 motorway (France), a road connecting Toulouse and Bayonne
A64 motorway (Germany), a road connecting the city of Luxembourg and Trier
A64 highway (Spain), a road connecting the Autovía A-64 junction 367 km and OviedoOther uses:
A further abbreviation of AMD64, a CPU architecture
An Athlon 64 CPU
A64 system on a chip designed by Allwinner Technology
A64 (emulator), a Commodore 64 emulator for the Amiga
A64, the code for the Benoni Defense in the Encyclopaedia of Chess OpeningsBarton Hill, North Yorkshire
Barton Hill is a village in North Yorkshire, off the A64 road, near Barton-le-Willows.
Barton Hill was served by Barton Hill railway station on the York to Scarborough Line between 1845 and 1930.Burmantofts
Burmantofts is an area of 1960s high-rise housing blocks in inner-city east Leeds, West Yorkshire, England adjacent to the city centre and St. James's Hospital. It is a racially diverse area, with sizable Afro-Caribbean and Irish communities, but suffers the social problems typical of similar areas across the country.
From 1859 to 1957 Burmantofts was the home of Burmantofts Pottery, a manufacturer of ceramic pipes and construction materials.
In the early 20th century, Burmantofts was a large centre of the textile industry. A Burtons textile factory was located in the area; it is still owned by Burtons, but today is being used as a storage facility.Claxton, North Yorkshire
Claxton is a village and part of the Claxton & Sand Hutton civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is near the A64 road and 8 miles (13 km) north-east of York.Foston, North Yorkshire
Foston is a small village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. The population of the civil parish as of the 2011 census was 263. Details are included in the civil parish of Whitwell-on-the-Hill. It is situated close to the A64 road and is approximately 9 miles (14 km) north-east from York.Leeds Inner Ring Road
The Leeds Inner Ring Road is part-motorway and part-A roads in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, which forms a ring road around the city centre. It has six different road numbers that are all sections of longer roads. Clockwise, the roads are the A58(M), a motorway section of the A58 road; the A64(M), part of the A64 road; the A61 between York Road and the M621; the M621 between junctions 4 and 2; and the A643 between the M621 and A58. The motorway section is in total is 2.5 miles (4.0 km) long and is subject to a 40 miles per hour (64 km/h) speed limit throughout.Old Malton
Old Malton is a village in North Yorkshire, England. The village is situated just south of the A64 road and is 1-mile (1.5 km) north-east of the town of Malton. The village is on the B1257 which links Malton with the A64 and the A169 road to the north and is bounded on its eastern side by the River Derwent.Potter Brompton
Potter Brompton is a small village in the English county of North Yorkshire, on the A64 road from Malton to Scarborough. The village is situated just a few hundred yards off the Yorkshire Wolds Way National Trail and lies within the parish of Ganton.Potterton, West Yorkshire
Potterton is a hamlet 1 mile (1.5 km) north of Barwick-in-Elmet in City of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The hamlet falls within the Harewood ward of the Leeds Metropolitan Council. The hamlet is just south of the A64 road and so has access to junction 44 of the A1(M) motorway 2.5 miles (4 km) away with Leeds being only 7 miles (11 km) to the west.The hamlet is described in the Domesday Book as being part of the Skyrack Wapentake and belonging to Earl Edwin. The name itself is said to derive from 'Pottere Tun', meaning 'The Potter's farmstead'.The west wing of Potterton Hall was declared a Grade II* listed building in 1982.South of Potterton lies the deserted medieval village of Potterton which includes many earthworks and a Holloway. The area is scheduled as an ancient monument.Richmond Hill, Leeds
Richmond Hill is a district of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The district lies a mile to the east of the city centre between York Road (A64 road), East End Park and Cross Green. The appropriate City of Leeds ward is Burmantofts and Richmond Hill.Rillington
Rillington is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England.Scagglethorpe
Scagglethorpe is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated just south from the A64 road, 3 miles (5 km) east from Malton and almost midway between York and Scarborough.
To the east of Bull Piece Lane, 700 yards (640 m) south from the village, is evidence of Iron Age or Roman ditches and rectilinear enclosures, and within the village have been found fragments of Roman pottery from the 1st century CE. On Charlton Place is the site of a medieval manor house. Just south from the A64, 500 yards (457 m) west from the village, have been found Roman coins and a Celtic brooch.In the 1086 Domesday Book Scagglethorpe is written as "Scachetorp". The manor, in the East Riding Hundred of Scard, comprised one household. Lordship of the manor had passed to Robert, Count of Mortain, who also became Tenant-in-chief.Scagglethorpe is derived from the Viking word "Schachetorp", meaning hamlet of a man called Skakull or Skakli.On Village Street is Scagglethorpe Manor, a Grade II listed 17th-century farmhouse with an early-19th-century wing. Pevsner also notes a c.1816 Gothic-style Wesleyan Methodist chapel and a cottage with a Gothic porch. The chapel is part of the Malton Methodist Circuit.Village facilities include a public house, playing field and a village hall.Scampston
Scampston is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It lies close to the A64 road, on the outskirts of Rillington and approximately 3 miles east of Malton.
Scampston was the birthplace of William Latimer, 4th Baron Latimer, the first member of the British Parliament to be impeached, in 1376.Stockton-on-the-Forest
Stockton-on-the-Forest is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of the City of York in North Yorkshire, England. It is located to the east of the A64 road to Scarborough and the roundabout interchange of the A64 and the A1036. To the east there are the villages of Upper Helmsley and Sand Hutton and to the south the villages of Warthill, Holtby and Murton.
According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 1,261, reducing to 1,214 at the 2011 Census. Prior to 1996, it had been part of the Ryedale district.
The village is home to Stockton Hall, built c.1800 as a country house. It is now a secure unit for mentally ill patients.
The hall is a brick built 3-storey building with a 5-bay frontage and is grade II listed. It was acquired by barrister George Lloyd of Leeds, from whom it passed to his daughter Miss Alicia Maria Lloyd. She left it in 1892 to her nephew George William Lloyd.
The village has a busy local pub, called The Fox. The village has one church, the Holy Trinity Church (rebuilt in 1843). The Methodist Chapel was closed in May 2010. Stockton on the Forest also has a primary school for local residents accommodating approximately 100 pupils. A Scout group has operated in the village since 2000, consisting of a Beaver Colony, Cub Pack and Scout Troop.
Stockton on the Forest is a good example of a linear village, as it follows only one main road (Stockton Lane/Sandy Lane) for approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km), branching out only near the west end. The houses along the main road do not have house numbers but individual names (many with references to agriculture, local features or mysticism) of no particular order or logic, which can make orientation difficult, if not impossible, for people unfamiliar with the village.
Stockton-on-the-Forest was served by Warthill railway station on the York to Beverley Line between 1847 and 1959.Welburn, Derwent
Welburn is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England, on the north bank of the River Derwent. It lies on the edge of the Howardian Hills, near to the stately home Castle Howard. It is about 14 miles from York and 5 miles south-west of Malton/Norton. It is a popular area for walkers and bird-watchers. The parish's population was estimated at 523 people in 2013. This figure includes the developments at Crambeck, Holmes Crescent and Chestnut Avenue that are some distance outside the heart of the village.
It is a traditional village in regards to its linear structure. The Main Street has two main offshoots; one lane, to the south, is called Church Lane (formerly Bank Lane) and leads to St John the Evangelist Church, built in 1858, to the newly built Village Hall, and to a small area of housing, mostly constructed in the 1960s. The lane leading northwards is called Water Lane, a short section of road serving two properties and over a small stream to farmland. Main Street continues south-eastwards of the village centre as Chestnut Avenue to join the main A64 road to Malton and York.
It has one school, Welburn Community School, in the centre of the village. It also has a pub, the Crown and Cushion, which provides a centre for the village and Leaf and Loaf, village bakery and café. Welburn is one of the few villages in the area that still has a red telephone box (located near the centre of the village); they are becoming an increasing rarity in North Yorkshire.
The parish council of the area is based at Welburn Village Hall. It has elected members from Welburn and Crambeck, an adjoining settlement. Crambeck, formerly a reformatory school, was used in the Roman period times as the site of a pottery. The Roman ceramic produced here is known as Crambeck Ware. The recently redeveloped Village Hall, operational since May 2007, is used for a range of activities and groups in the village and the surrounding area. These groups include the Women's Institute, horticultural society, indoor bowling club, country dancing, Local History Group, Wine Club and an Art & Craft club. The eco-friendly Village Hall is a gathering place for villagers and local walkers.Westow
Westow is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of the county of North Yorkshire, England. The village lies in the historic boundaries of the East Riding of Yorkshire. Westow is situated in the lee of Spy Hill, bordering the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 3 miles (4.8 km) from the A64 road linking Leeds to the East Coast, 5 miles (8 km) west of the market town Malton, and 15 miles (24 km) east from the city of York.
The village has deep associations with agriculture and is surrounded by a traditional, diverse farming landscape, much of it estate owned and managed. The village has views to the North York Moors National Park to the east, and the Yorkshire Wolds to the south.
Westow has an active village cricket team with a strong family tradition and records show the team existed as far back as 1875. There are regular Pétanque tournaments in the village involving teams from all over Yorkshire. Lands around Westow are the setting for traditional, seasonal field sports which provide income to the local agricultural community and serve as social events. The Middleton Hunt covers the area and is well subscribed.
The civil parish also includes the hamlets of Firby and Kirkham. The population of the civil parish was 339 in the 2011 Census.
Neighbouring villages are Crambe, Whitwell-on-the-Hill, Welburn, Howsham, Leavening and Burythorpe.Whitwell-on-the-Hill
Whitwell-on-the-Hill is a hamlet and civil parish in the Ryedale District, in the county of North Yorkshire, England. The civil parish population (including Crambe and Foston) at the 2011 Census was 311. It is near the A64 road.The local parish church is dedicated to St John.
Langdale’s 1822 Topographical Dictionary reports "a well of remarkably clear water, from which the town derives its name". The 1828 The New Yorkshire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary by Stephen Reynolds Clarke states that Whitwell is "6 miles S.W. from Malton [has] a singular well, the water of which is nearly the colour of milk, and from which the township derives its name."Wintringham
Wintringham is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is near the A64 road and 6 miles (9.7 km) east of Malton. Two long-distance footpaths, the Yorkshire Wolds Way National Trail and the Centenary Way, pass through the village.
The deserted hamlet of Linton, to the south-east of Wintringham, was the probable birthplace of Lady Margaret Hoby, author of the earliest extant diary of a woman in English.
A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme