The A63 is a major road in Yorkshire, England between Leeds and Kingston upon Hull. A section between South Cave and Hull forms the eastward continuation of the M62 motorway and is part of the unsigned Euroroute E20.
The A63(T) looking west from near Brough
|Part of E20|
|Length||58 mi (93 km)|
|From||Kingston upon Hull|
The route from Leeds out to Selby runs roughly parallel, and between 0.6 and 2 miles (1 and 3 km) south of the route of the Leeds and Selby Railway.
The route begins just east of Leeds city centre at a junction with the A61, although, before its February 2009 realignment along the new East Leeds Link Road, it began at a junction with the A64 in the Halton Moor area of the city (now signed as the B6159). The road passes through the Knowsthorpe and Cross Green areas, as Pontefract Lane; despite being of dual carriageway standard, is subject to a 40 mph speed limit, and incorporates peak-time HOV lanes. At the end of this dual carriageway section, the route meets the M1, and the road continues north along the motorway for one junction then resumes as the A63.
From junction 46 of the M1, the Thorpe Park roundabout, the route continues east, meeting the A642 at Garforth. There is a turning for Lidgett Lane (B6137) to the left, next to Garforth Academy, with the Shell garage on the right. It crosses the Leeds Country Way (a former railway), and there is the B6137 to the right for Kippax. On the Garforth/Micklefield parish boundary is a roundabout with the A656 Roman Ridge.
At the Boot and Shoe junction, with the former A1, there is the Esso Boot & Shoe Service Station, and the Best Western Milford Hotel. There is a grade-separated left turn for the B1222 (for Sherburn-in-Elmet). This dual-carriageway section of the former A1, follows the Leeds – North Yorkshire boundary (Ledsham and South Milford), and was built as part of the Brotherton-Micklefield scheme in November 1964 by Dowsett Engineering Construction. At the Selby Fork junction south of the Selby Fork Hotel, the A1246 continues southwards along the former A1, and the road enters the district of Selby, in North Yorkshire.
It crosses the A1(M) at junction 42 at South Milford. It meets the A162 at a roundabout, crosses a railway, and passes through Monk Fryston. It follows Causeway Dike and passes through Hambleton, where to the east it crosses the Selby Diversion of the East Coast Main Line, and the A1238 (former A63) at a roundabout. The route follows the six-mile £44 million Selby Bypass and £5 million Barlby Bypass, the latter of which is shared with the north-south A19, although the A19 still passes through Selby itself. On the bypass the road passes Selby Golf Club, meets the A19 at a roundabout at Brayton, crosses the Selby Canal, crosses the Doncaster-Selby railway, meets the A1041 at a roundabout, and crosses the River Ouse (Ouse Swing Bridge) and the Selby-Hull railway. The short section around Barlby follows what was the old East Coast Main Line railway before the Selby Diversion opened in the early 1980s. An alternative route eastwards from the Selby bypass, to the M62, is the A1041 via Camblesforth, then the A645 past Drax power station. The route out to Hull is shadowed by the Selby-Hull railway line.
It leaves at the Barlby Roundabout (completed May 2013; formerly a dangerous road junction) to the right, passing Osgodby then over the railway line and passes Hemingbrough. A planned bypass at Osgodby (2002) was cancelled due to increases in prices of land. It crosses the River Derwent and enters the East Riding of Yorkshire. It passes through Newsholme before passing straight through Howden next to Howden Minster. It passes through the town as Bridgegate and Hull Road, passing Howden School, where it meets the A614 at a roundabout at the BP Longs Corner Garage. Access to the M62 is via junction 37 to the west, along Boothferry Road (A614).
East of Howden, the A63 has been downgraded and is now the B1230. The B1230 carries non-motorway traffic over the M62 motorway and onwards into Gilberdyke. When the B1230 was the A63, a three mile section, through Gilberdyke and Newport, was dual carriageway. Where the B1230 crosses the M62 motorway east of Newport, the M62 finishes and the A63 re-starts. Before the last eastern section of the M62 was built, the motorway terminated at a temporary junction at Balkholme. Before the M62 opened, the single carriageway A63 was Hull's main route to the South of England, causing many bottlenecks.
The section from junction 38 of the M62 (its terminus) to the A1034 junction near South Cave was single carriageway before the M62 opened in May 1976. The section was constructed as the dualling of the Caves Bypass and opened when the last eastern section of the M62 opened, completing the dual carriageway link to the outskirts of Hull. From junction 38, the B1230 leads to North Cave (and in the direction of Beverley) along the former A63. The BP Triangle North Cave is alongside the junction.
There is the Beacon Service Area on the eastbound side, with the South Cave East Little Chef and Shell Beacon, situated just south of Everthorpe and Wolds prisons. The road skirts the southern edge of South Cave, and near Ellerker it crosses the former route (and Ermine Street from Brough, then known as Petuaria, to York) at the A1034 junction.
The 2.5 miles (4 km) Elloughton bypass was built in October 1971, from the A1034 to the Welton/Brough junction passing Brantingham to the west. It replaced the former road through Elloughton and Brough. This section skirts the southern edge of the Yorkshire Wolds.
The Welton/Brough – North Ferriby section opened in 1961. At the Elloughton-cum-Brough-Welton parish boundary, there is a grade-separated junction for Brough to the south and Welton to the north. The road passes on the south side of South Hunsley School (with a leisure centre) at Melton, part of the parish of Welton.
A new grade separated junction was constructed east of Melton near North Ferriby in 2006/7. The Shell Grand Dale filling station is on the westbound side, west of the Melton interchange. The Yorkshire Wolds Way crosses at this point.
The North Ferriby bypass and North Ferriby – Hessle sections opened in 1961. The former route is partly the B1231 (for Swanland). The road meets the A15 at a grade-separated junction. The former route, before the South Docks Road improvement, followed the current A1105 into Hull.
The road continues through the Humber Bridge Country Park, across the Hull-Selby railway, and under the Humber Bridge. The Humber bridge was designed to take some of Hull's traffic southwards, but the vast majority takes the A63 westwards, towards the M18. The road passes on the south side of Hessle, next to Hessle railway station, and follows the Hull to Selby railway line closely on the southern side as far as the outskirts of Hull near the western docks.
The section from Hessle into Kingston upon Hull is named Clive Sullivan Way, after the rugby league footballer Clive Sullivan, (originally titled the South Docks Road). There is a junction with Priory Way, and at Gipsyville it meets the A1166 at a grade-separated roundabout near St Andrew's Quay. Near the Albert Dock, there is a fly-over where it rejoins the former Hessle Road next to the Smith & Nephew factory to the south.
The A63 meets the A1079 (for central Hull) at a junction, beyond which the road is named Castle Street. The Castle Street section of the road (2011) had significant air pollution problems (NO2 levels), with over 55,000 vehicles per day, and had heavy congestion, having been at full capacity for around a decade; much of the traffic is heavy goods vehicles originating as a result of Ro-Ro activity at Hull Docks. The road section also was experiencing high accident levels, as well as forming a barrier to local north-south movement within the town centre. Improvement schemes for the road had been planned since the 1980s, but were subject to funding delays.
Consultation on the design of a solution began 2009. Split level junctions including passing under or over the A63 were considered for the bottleneck at the Mytongate roundabout,[map 1] with additional congestion easing measures, and pedestrian bridges. Other options included an extended viaduct and tunnel options – the consultation showed a preference for an underground solution. In March 2010 the Highways Agency established a preferred scheme – the A63 would be lowered 23-foot (7 m) at the Mytongate bottleneck, and the north south connecting roads raised slightly (3.3-foot (1 m)), creating a split level junction; additionally the eastbound carriageway would be widened, and pedestrian crossings created. If funded construction was planned to begin in 2016 for completion in 2019. The cost has been estimated at between £150 and £200 million. In May 2012 the design and consultation work was initiated. In June 2013 the government announced the go ahead for a £160 million improvement to the road after 2015.
It crosses the River Hull at Myton Bridge (a swing-bridge), near the Hull Tidal Surge Barrier and The Deep. The stretch over Myton Bridge and within the ward of Drypool is known as Roger Millward Way. It was originally named Garrison Road but the name was changed to Roger Millward Way in memory of the deceased rugby player in 2018. Within Drypool there is a northwards junction with the A1165 (Great Union Street), and southwards junction connecting the Victoria Dock Village housing estate at the same point. The road terminates at a junction for the A1033 (Hedon Road). It is prone to congestion due to traffic from the Port of Hull and vehicles exiting Victoria Dock heading into the city centre.
A63 or A-63 may refer to:
A63 road, a road in England connecting Leeds and Hull
A63 motorway (France), a road connecting Bordeaux and the border with Spain
A63 motorway (Germany), a road connecting Mainz and Kaiserslautern
A63 motorway (Spain), a road connecting Oviedo and Canero
Encyclopaedia of Chess Openings code for the Benoni DefenseBrantingham
Brantingham is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated about 2 miles (3 km) north of Brough, and 12 miles (19 km) west of Hull. It lies to the north of the A63 road. According to the 2011 UK Census, Brantingham parish had a population of 370, a decrease from the 2001 UK census figure of 410.Brown Moor
Brown Moor is an area in the metropolitan borough of the City of Leeds in West Yorkshire, England, east of Austhorpe and north of Colton Common. The M1 motorway and the A63 road pass it on its eastern flank and the A6120 road in the south. The area is named after a nearby hill. A colliery operated here in the 19th century and was accessed by a spur off the Leeds and Selby Railway, but was already disused in the early 20th century. At that time, some cottages had been erected nearby. Those had been sold by 2002 when Thorpe Park Business Park was established in the area.A length of Grim's Ditch is preserved underground north of Barrowby Lane and to the west of the former farmstead and is a scheduled monument.Cross Green, Leeds
Cross Green is a mainly industrial area of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is around 1 mile (1.6 km) on a hill to the south east of Leeds city centre, with the A63 road (Pontefract Lane) running through the middle and dividing it into a residential estate with playing fields and housing to the north, and a large industrial estate to the south. The area lies in the LS9 Leeds postcode area between Osmondthorpe, Richmond Hill and Hunslet.Ellerker
Ellerker is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 10 miles (16 km) west of Hull city centre and 13 miles (21 km) east of the market town of Howden. It lies 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the A63 road junction with the A1034 road.
According to the 2011 UK Census, Ellerker parish had a population of 307, a decrease on the 2001 UK Census figure of 320. Ellerker lies within the Parliamentary constituency of Haltemprice and Howden an area that mainly consists of middle class suburbs, towns and villages. The area is affluent and has one of the highest proportions of owner-occupiers in the country.'Ellerker' means a "marsh where alder trees grow", from Old English alor or aler "alder" and Old Norse kjarr "marsh". The name was recorded as Alrecher in the 11th century and Alekirr in 1139. Same name as Orcher (Normandy, Aurichier 12th century).In 1823 Ellerker was in the parish of Brantingham and the Wapentake of Howdenshire. Village population was 249, including eight farmers, a corn miller, a shopkeeper, a tailor, a shoemaker, and a carpenter. Also listed in directories were three yeomen and a curate of the village church. Once a week a carrier operated from the village to Hull and Wilton.The village church is dedicated to St Anne and is designated as a Grade II listed building.Sir Rafe Ellerker is cited in Part 1 of title 'The Last Years of a Frontier' - DLW Tough, concerning his survey of the Border Marches 1541.Elloughton
Elloughton is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 12 miles (19 km) to the west of Hull to the south of the A63 road. It lies on the southern end of the Yorkshire Wolds. It is conjoined with Brough that lies to the south-east, with which it forms the civil parish of Elloughton-cum-Brough.
Elloughton lies within the Parliamentary constituency of Haltemprice and Howden.
The church dedicated to St Mary was designated a Grade II* listed building in 1968 and is now recorded in the National Heritage List for England, maintained by Historic England.In 1823, Elloughton was in the Wapentake of Harthill, a part of the Liberty of St Peter's. The patron of the Church of St Mary was the York Minster prebendary of Wetwang. Within the village was a Methodist and a Calvinist chapel. The village had a population of 318, with occupations including six farmers, two carpenters, two tailors, a blacksmith, a shoemaker, and a bricklayer. Also directory-listed were three yeomen, a school master, a gentlewoman, and a curate. Once a week two carriers operated between the village and Hull.Everthorpe
Everthorpe is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 11 miles (18 km) west of Hull city centre and 10 miles (16 km) east of the market town of Howden, midway between North Cave and South Cave. It lies 1 mile (1.6 km) north of the A63 road and 1 mile west of the A1034 road. Everthorpe forms part of the civil parish of North Cave.
In 1823 Everthorpe was in the parish of North Cave and in the Wapentake of Harthill. Population was 177, which included Drewton, a hamlet less than 1 mile to the north-east. Occupations included three farmers, a corn miller, and the landlord of Duke of York public house.The area is home to two prisons - HMP Everthorpe and HMP Wolds.Gateway 45
Gateway 45 is an industrial estate and park and ride location on the south eastern edge of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The site was initially developed under the name Temple Green and is located with the M1 Motorway on its southern edge and the A63 road on its eastern edge.
In July 2018, it was announced that the site would become the rolling stock maintenance depot for trains using High Speed 2.Hambleton, Selby
Hambleton is a small village and civil parish near to Selby in North Yorkshire, England. It is a ward of the district of Selby and should not be confused with the district of Hambleton, another district of North Yorkshire.
Hambleton is situated just over 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Selby and lies about 5 miles (8.0 km) east of the A1(M) motorway junction 42. The A63 road, Leeds to Selby, runs through the village.
According to the 2001 UK census, the population of Hambleton parish was 1,711, increasing to 1,859 at the 2011 Census.There are two pubs: The Red Lion and The Owl. There is also a village shop.
As of September 2014, the Wheatsheaf pub has closed and went up for sale - during June 2015 demolition of the building commenced.
Hambleton used to have a railway station which closed in 1959 off Station RoadHull Ionians
Hull Ionians is a rugby union club in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The first team play in English rugby's National League 1, the third tier of the English rugby union system, following their promotion from National League 2 North as champions at the end of the 2018-19 season. Their home ground is Brantingham Park which opened in September 1995 and is situated in the village of Brantingham, off the A63 road between Brough and South Cave.Leeds Outer Ring Road
The Leeds Outer Ring Road is a main road that runs around most of the perimeter of the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The ring road is approximately 25 miles (40 km) long and consists of single and dual carriageways. Hence the road is not a loop and so is not a true ring road, although it is designated as such.
The road begins in Belle Isle and ends in Colton at junction 46 of the M1 motorway. It begins in Belle Isle as an un-numbered road and goes through to Beeston. It is then designated the A6110 between Beeston and Bramley a dual carriageway, before running concurrently with the Stanningley By-Pass A647 also a dual carriageway but with grade separated junctions.
For the rest of the way between Farsley and Colton the road is the A6120 and it is a mixture of single and dual carriageway as far as Austhorpe. The ring road becomes the A63 road following a short concurrency and ends in Colton.
There are future proposals for the complete dualling of the congested Outer Ring Road but they were not given priority in the Leeds Transport Plan.List of highways numbered 63
The following highways are numbered 63. For a list of roads called N63, see List of N63 roads.Melton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Melton is a small village in the civil parish of Welton, East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated about 8 miles (13 km) west of Kingston upon Hull city centre near to the Humber Estuary and about 0.6 miles (1 km) east of the village of Welton with which it is nearly contiguous.Monk Fryston
Monk Fryston is a small village and civil parish in the Selby district of North Yorkshire, England.
The Dictionary of British Place Names notes Monk Fryston as "Fristun" (c.1030) and "Munechesfryston" (1166). The name derives from the Old English for "farmstead of the frisians", with prefix 'Monk' relating to it being an 11th-century possession of Selby Abbey. According to a personal FreeUK web page, the name of the village originates from Monk's Free Stone as all of the stone used to build Selby Abbey was obtained from a quarry in the centre of the village across the road from the old school building. The quarry was filled in for a housing development located next to the new school building, built on the old school field in 1998-99. The old school building has since been converted to housing.The village is very closely linked to Hillam, although both villages maintain separate parish councils.
According to the 2011 UK census the population of Monk Fryston parish was 1,008 and the number of households was 406.Monk Fryston is situated just over 6 miles (10 km) west of the town of Selby. It lies 2 miles (3 km) east of the A1(M) motorway junction 42, (A1 road), and 5 miles (8 km) north of the M62 motorway, junction 33, at Ferrybridge. The A63 road, Leeds to Selby, runs through the village.
Primary education needs are served by Monk Fryston Church of England Primary school.
The Parish Church is St Wilfrid's Monk Fryston (Church of England).
The village has one public house, The Crown Inn, which dates back to the 1600s, and a hotel, the Monk Fryston Hall Hotel which dates back to the 12th century.
The National Heritage List for England, compiled by English Heritage, holds 15 listed buildings for Monk Fryston. The list includes the Grade l St Wilfrid's Church, the Grade ll* Monk Fryston Hall and two Grade ll milestones.The York and North Midland Railway passes to the west of Monk Fryston. An old station platform still exists next to the railway just down from the South Milford sidings. The spot is popular with railway enthusiasts.Newsholme, East Riding of Yorkshire
Newsholme is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) north-west of the market town of Howden and lies on the north side of the A63 road.
It forms part of the civil parish of Wressle.
In 1823 Newsholme with Brind was in the parish of Wressle, the Wapentake of Harthill and the Liberty of Howdenshire. Population at the time was 177.North Ferriby
North Ferriby, commonly referred to as Ferriby, is a village and civil parish in the Haltemprice area of the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.Selby Canal
The Selby Canal is a 6-mile (9.7 km) canal with 2 locks which bypasses the lower reaches of the River Aire in Yorkshire, England, from the village of West Haddlesey to the town of Selby where it joins the River Ouse. It opened in 1778, and provided the main outlet for the Aire and Calder Navigation until 1826, when it was bypassed by a new cut from Ferrybridge to Goole. Selby steadily declined after that, although traffic to York still used the canal.
Powers to increase its depth were obtained in 1828, and the residents of Selby used legal action to ensure that the company complied with its own Act of Parliament. The locks were enlarged in 1885, and subsequent history was uneventful, with the canal eventually coming under the control of British Waterways in 1962. When British Waterways also took control of the River Ouse, the canal was marketed as part of a through route to York, and the number of boats using it have steadily increased. Although not originally part of the canal, the section of the Aire from Dole Bank Lock to Haddlesey Flood Lock is usually considered to be part of the modern Selby Canal, making it 11.7 miles (18.8 km) long with four locks.South Cave
South Cave is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 14 miles (23 km) to the west of Hull city centre on the A1034 road just to the north of the A63 road. North Cave is approximately 2 miles (3 km) to the north-west.
The civil parish is formed by the village of South Cave, the hamlet of Drewton and part of the hamlet of Riplingham. According to the 2011 UK Census, South Cave parish had a population of 4,823, an increase on the 2001 UK Census figure of 4,515.South Cave lies within the Parliamentary constituency of Haltemprice and Howden.Welton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Welton is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The parish extends to the bank of the Humber Estuary at its southern extreme, and into the Yorkshire Wolds in the northern part. The A63 road and Hull to Selby railway line both bisect the parish east-west south of Melton and Welton.
The civil parish is formed by the villages of Welton and Melton and the hamlet of Wauldby. According to the 2011 UK census, Welton parish had a population of 2,176, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 1,560. Welton village is situated approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) north-east of the town of Brough on the north side of the A63 road to Kingston upon Hull. It is on the Yorkshire Wolds Way National Trail a long distance footpath.
Major landmarks in the parish include Welton Waters, a former clay pit, and home of Welton Waters Adventure Centre and Welton Sailing Club; Melton Bottom Quarry, a chalk quarry; and the Melton West and Melton Park industrial estates. The exposed boulder clay at Red Cliff on the Humber bank is an archaeological site returning Roman deposits. Minor landmarks and sites of interest include Nut Wood and Wauldby Scrogs (now a Woodland Trust property), and the Raikes mausoleum within the wooded valley of Welton Dale.
A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme