The A631 is a road running from Sheffield, South Yorkshire to Louth, Lincolnshire in England. It passes through the counties of South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire. The road has many towns on its route including Rotherham, Maltby, Gainsborough and Market Rasen. It is mostly single road throughout its length but has some stretches of dual carriageway as well. The road is approximately 65 miles (105 km) long.
|Length||67 mi (108 km)|
|Meadowhall, Rotherham, Maltby, Bawtry, Gainsborough|
The road starts at the M1/A6109 junction at Meadowhall. This is the northern half of Junction 34 on the M1. The road then passes under the M1 on the lower deck of the Tinsley Viaduct as a dual carriageway with the Meadowhall Shopping Centre visible to the southwest. At the southern half of junction 34 a roundabout links the road to the A6178 Sheffield Road and the A6102 Shepcote Lane (part of the Sheffield by-pass). This short section is classified as a trunk road.
After the M1 the road is a single carriageway non-trunk road and heads east to Rotherham as Bawtry Road through Tinsley. It passes Tinsley Infants School and Tinsley Junior School, and on the left hand side on the corner oh Highgate is the Pike & Heron. The Jamia al Hudaa Sheffield, a girls' independent Muslim secondary school is on the right, and opposite Park House Lane is the Outokumpu sports and social club, with Sheffield Hallam University's Graham Solley Sports Development Centre on the right (where SHU play other universities at sport). The road enters the borough of Rotherham at a bend to the left, becomes the parish boundary between Brinsworth and Rotherham, and there is a crossroads, with the left for Balk Lane and the BOC Brinsworth Operations Centre, opposite Firth Rixson Aurora Sports Club, and the right for Bonet Lane (B6067) near The Fairway. There is a left turn for Phoenix Golf Club, a right turn for Brinsworth Lane near former The Atlas and the Esso Brinsworth Service Station, a right turn for Whitehill Lane (B6066, for Catcliffe, and is also the Trans Pennine Trail). It passes under a 15 ft 3 in railway bridge, and crosses the River Rother.
The road then serves as a bypass of Rotherham after it combines with the dual-carriageway Centenary Way (A630) at Canklow Roundabout. A TOTAL garage is on the right, and a McDonald's and the Pace (former Q8) Canklow Service Station is opposite. It continues to the south-east as the non-trunk dual-carriageway West Bawtry Road, with Canklow Woods to the east, on the side of the Rother Valley. Canklow Meadows Industrial Estate is on the right with Leger Holidays HQ, the large Crossroads Volvo truck garage, and Manheim Auctions. It is followed by the Canklow Meadows Retail Park, and it passes the Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield on the left (former Swallow Hotel), opposite Energy Alloys. The A630 (Rotherway) leaves to the right at the busy Rotherway Roundabout, over the River Rother, to junction 33 of the M1, with a large electrical substation to the right. The A631 used to continue to the east as a trunk single-carriageway, but was upgraded to dual carriage way to the A618, and is crosses by the Rotherham Roundwalk. The West Bawtry Road Improvement - Rotherway to Whiston Crossroads was built by Birse Civils of Barton-upon-Humber for £5 million. The A631 is now dual-carriageway between the M1 and M18 junctions
The A631 then continues round Rotherham crossing the A618, becoming the dual-carriageway East Bawtry Road. Moorgate is to the left and Whiston is to the right - the road is the Rotherham-Whiston parish boundary. Ember Inns The Hind is on the right. It meets the B6410 and the A6123 (Herringthorpe Valley Road, the Rotherham ring road) at the Worrygoose Roundabout. The A631 becomes a non-trunk road and meets the A6021 at the Brecks Roundabout, also meeting Brecks Lane. After the roundabout is the Rotherham Premier Inn, and The Brecks Beefeater pub on the left, opposite an Esso garage. Further on the left is a small Sainsbury's, some takeaways, and Texaco The Brecks garage. It becomes Bawtry Road, passing the Dalton Listerdale Junior and Infants School, and passes through Listerdale and Wickersley with a parade of shops either side and The Three Horseshoes on the left, being crossed by the Rotherham Roundwalk. The Masons Arms is on the left, next to the Wickersley Roundabout which meets Northfield Lane from the left and Morthen Road (B6060) from the right, with the St Albans CE primary school to the south. It passes eastwards through Bramley with Wickersley library and the Wickersley School and Sports College on the right, next to the footbridge, meeting the B6093 from the left (for Sunnyside) near St Francis church. Rotherham Morrisons is on the right hand side, with access for the Rotherham East Ibis hotel. There is also the Sir Jack Roast Inn carvery and a McDonald's.
The road crosses the M18 at Junction 1 and continues as Bawtry Road, a trunk road, through Hellaby, with a left turn for the Hellaby Industrial Estate, and the large Stockyard truck stop. There are speed cameras on this stretch. It enters Maltby as Rotherham Road with a left turn for Addison Road, then passes Maltby Academy and leisure centre on the left, and Hooton Levitt and St Bartholomew parish church on the right. The A634 leaves to the south east for Blyth and Retford, and Braithwell Road (B6376) leaves to the left. It passes through the town centre as High Street, passing the fire station and library on the left. It then crosses the B6427 then heads east towards Tickhill, passing the Lumley Arms. The main landmark on the left hand side is Maltby Main Colliery, for which there is an entrance on the left, opposite Maltby Wood. It crosses a railway and Scotch Spring Lane (the Doncaster-Rotherham boundary), for Stainton, is on the left, the point where the road becomes the Doncaster-Rotherham boundary for one mile, just before being crossed by a 400 kV pylon line, the point where it also enters the Doncaster postcode.
Limekiln Lane is on the left, and the landscape is now mostly rural from here to Bawtry. At the junction of Blyth Gate Lane on the right, the borough boundary leaves to the south along Sandbeck lane and the road enters the Borough of Doncaster. It passes under a railway line and enters Tickhill as Rotherham Road where it meets the A60 from the right. It continues along West Gate, passing the police station on the left. There is a right turn for Tickhill Castle, and the road bends sharply to the left near the Millstone. on the left is St Mary's Church, Tickhill. The road passes along Castle Gate and a JET garage, and at the Market Place, the A60 continues straight ahead, and the A631 leaves sharply to the right at a T-junction for Sunderland Street.
After Tickhill the road passes under the A1(M) (Doncaster bypass) near a radio mast then over the beginnings of the River Torne, and crosses the B6463 (for Harworth to the south) as Bawtry Road at Spital Hill. It meets the Nottinghamshire boundary from the south, which follows the road all the way to Bawtry for around three miles. Harworth is to the south, and it meets Bawtry Road (for Harworth) from the right. There is a bend to the left, with Swinnow Wood on the left, and Plumtree Farm Industrial Estate on the right. The road enters Bawtry as Tickhill Road, with the Nottinghamshire boundary passing along the southern edge of the town. In Bawtry, next to Bawtry Hall, it meets the north-south A638, also a trunk road, the former A1.
The road starts again slightly further south off the A638 and A614, and heads east of Bawtry passing under the East Coast Main Line railway as Gainsborough Road. It then crosses the River Idle at Bawtry Bridge and enters Nottinghamshire and Bassetlaw. The road bends to the right and becomes dual carriageway as it bypasses the village of Scaftworth, which has two exits to the right. It bends to the left and continues as the single carriageway Bawtry Road (passing SPECS average speed cameras) through Everton, with Harwell on the left. There is a right turn for Mattersey at the Sun Inn. Further on the B6045 joins from Blyth at Drakeholes, where the road has been diverted to the north, over the Chesterfield Canal and Cuckoo Way.
As Gainsborough Road it passes along the top of an escarpment (Cuckoo Hill to the south) near Prospect Hill Farm, and there is a right turn for Wiseton. It passes Park House Farm and climbs Mill Hill then becomes dual carriageway at Gringley on the Hill, which it bypasses to the south on the edge of the escarpment. On the bypass, Clayworth Road exits to the right and Beacon Hill Road (and the Trent Valley Way) to the left, both part of the B1403 (from Misterton). It climbs Beacon Hill, resuming the former route. To the south West Burton power stations and Cottam power stations power stations can be seen. It gently descends the hill and at Beckingham meets the A161 (from the north) at a roundabout near Mill Farm. Previously it met the A161 in the village.
The road becomes dual carriageway again as the road follows the Beckingham Bypass, built in 1975 with soil from the Gainsborough relief road, then reaches another roundabout with the A620, from the south (and for Retford). The road continues as dual carriageway, crossing the Doncaster to Lincoln Line, with the former road being Ramper Road to the south, and becomes the single carriageway The Flood Road, on the former route, being the Beckingham-Saundby parish boundary. Approaching Gainsborough it passes the Crown Carveries Trent Port Inn. Crossing Trent Bridge, Gainsborough it enters West Lindsey and Lincolnshire. It then goes through Gainsborough, meeting two spurs of Lea Road (A156) and Trinity Street (A159) at a roundabout. There is an exit for Thorndike Way, the A631 Gainsborough Relief Road, which opened in March 1974. Lindsey County Council intended to continue the dual carriageway all the way to the A15 at Caenby Corner. On the southern relief road, it passes The Gainsborough Academy (former Trent Valley Academy) to the south, and there is a right turn at traffic lights for Heapham Road. Corringham Road (B1433), the former route, is to the left, and nearby is the Road Safety Markings Association.
At Woodhouse Farm it resumes its former route. As Corringham Road it enters Corringham, passing the Beckett Arms. There is a left turn for Hemswell Lane, and it continues as Harpswell Lane, becoming the parish boundary for two miles between Hemswell and Harpswell. It climbs the Lincoln Cliff to meet Middle Street (B1398) at a roundabout at Harpswell. It becomes the parish boundary between Hemswell Cliff and Harpswell, with the former RAF Hemswell (where The Dam Busters was filmed in 1954) adjacent on the left, and the Hemswell Court conference centre on the right. There is a right turn for Dog Kennel Road (for Glentworth). The road becomes the parish boundary of Hemswell Cliff and Glentworth. At Caenby Corner it meets the A15 at a roundabout near the TOTAL Caenby Corner Garage, and passes through the parish of Glentham. Near Highfield Farm it becomes the parish boundary of Glentham and Caenby, then passes through Glentham and the Crown Inn, and in the distance are the Lincolnshire Wolds. At Bishopbridge it crosses the River Ancholme, which is its must southern navigable point. It passes The Bell and becomes the parish boundary between Osgodby (to the north) and West Rasen (to the south).
At Kingerby Wood, the A1103 continues for four miles to the left as a trunk road to the A46, and the A631 leaves to the right as a non-trunk road. Most traffic will follow the A1103 for Grimsby. The road becomes more twisty and meets a roundabout at West Rasen, where it crosses the River Rase. As Gainsborough Road it meets the trunk road A46, from the right, at Middle Rasen where the A46 does not have priority. It follows the A46 for a half-mile, and the A46 continues to the left, with the A631 leaving at a right turn. It enters Market Rasen as Gainsborough Road then becomes King Street. It meets the B1202 (former A46) from the left, and as Queen Street passes under the Newark to Grimsby Line then is crosses by the B1203 at traffic lights. As Willingham Road it passes the De Aston School and Market Rasen Racecourse on the right. In Tealby parish it passes through Willingham Woods.
It passes through North Willingham, with a right turn for Sixhills. It then ascends the western edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds as Willingham Road to 142 metres height, crossing Caistor High Street (B1225) at Boucherette Farm, where it enters East Lindsey. It passes through Ludford where it is briefly followed by the Viking Way, passing the Black Horse on the right and the White Hart. At a crossroads the Viking Way leaves to the right. It passes through the parish of Calcethorpe with Kelstern, with a left turn for Kelstern. It passes Cotes Grange Farm with a crossroads for Welton le Wold, to the right. It passes through South Elkington, where in the parish of Elikington it terminates at the A157 just outside Louth ( ).
Aisby is a hamlet in the civil parish of Corringham, in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated just over 1 mile (1.6 km) north from the A631 road and Corringham, 4 miles (6 km) north-east from Gainsborough, and 5 miles (8 km) south-east from Kirton in Lindsey.
Aisby is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Aseby", in the Corringham Hundred of West Riding of Lindsey. It comprised 8 households, with 1 smallholder and 7 freemen. In 1066 Earl Edwin was Lord of the Manor; by 1086 this had been transferred to King William, who also became Tenant-in-chief.Old Hall, a Grade II listed building in Aisby, originates from the 14th century, with 17th-century alterations, and substantial alterations and additions in the 19th and 20th centuries.Harwell, Nottinghamshire
Harwell is a hamlet in the civil parish of Everton, in Bassetlaw district, northern Nottinghamshire, England. It is located off the A631 road, less than a mile to the northwest of Everton and three miles northeast of Bawtry. Although only a small settlement, historically Harwell had a separate manor. The hamlet had a population of 112 people in the mid 19th century and the Corporation of Newark were lords of the manor at that time. Today, the main feature of Harwell is the Grade II listed Pear Tree House and the Barrow Hills woodland, immediately to the northwest.Hemswell Cliff
Hemswell Cliff is a village and civil parish in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the A631 road between Caenby Corner and Gainsborough and on the Lincoln Cliff escarpment. According to the 2001 Census it had a population of 683.RAF Hemswell was located on the site from 1937 until it closed in 1967. The airfield site was subsequently redeveloped into a private trading estate and the RAF married quarters into a residential area which became a newly created civil parish of Hemswell Cliff. The old village of Hemswell remains as a separate parish.By mid-2008 there was no longer RAF presence on the site, which became civilian. The RAF sold the community centre in 2009 to an educational charity.The site's old H-Block buildings contains an antique centre, shops, a garden centre, hairdresser, used book shop and cafés. On Sundays there Sunday market and car boot sale.Hemswell Cliff Primary School is in the village.Kelstern
Kelstern is a village in the civil parish of Calcethorpe with Kelstern, in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England.
The village is north from the A631 road, 5 miles (8.0 km) north-west from Louth and 4 miles (6 km) south-east from Binbrook. Calcethorpe with Kelstern parish also includes the hamlets of Calcethorpe to the south of Kelstern, and Lambcroft to the north.In the Domesday Book, Kelstern is written as 'Cheilestorne'. The settlement was in the Hundred of Louthesk of the South Riding of Lindsey. It included 28.3 households, 0.5 ploughlands, and a meadow 8 acres (0.0 km2). Klak was Lord of the manor in 1066, this transferred to Waldin the Artificer (or Engineer) in 1086, who was also Tenant-in-chief to king William I.Kelstern is recorded in the 1872 White's Directory as a small village, and a parish with a population of 218 in an area of 2,700 acres (10.9 km2) land, which included the hamlet of Lambcroft with a population of 56 in 800 acres (3.2 km2). Kelstern parishioners paid no tithes or commuted rent charge payments to the church or rector, as the parish and manor was "anciently" the demesne of North Ormsby Abbey. The principal owner of parish land and lord of the manor was Lord Ossington (Evelyn Denison, 1st Viscount Ossington), who was also the impropriator and patron of the ecclesiastical parish living. St Faith's, a small church of nave, chancel and tower, had been partly rebuilt and re-roofed in 1831. Reported was two early 17th-century church monuments erected by Sir Francis South to each of his wives, died 1604 and 1620. The incumbency was a discharged vicarage – relief from the payment of annates, being the first year's parish revenues and one tenth of the income in all succeeding years – for a payment of £150 yearly, the vicar living at Binbrook. A school was built in 1861, paid for by the lord of the manor, and was attended by 30 children. The school was used for services by Wesleyans. Professions and trades of those listed as resident in 1872 included a parish clerk, a schoolmistress, a wheelwright, a blacksmith, two auctioneers & estate agents, a further auctioneer at Calcethorpe, and another at Cawkwell who was also a farmer. There were three further farmers, one of whom was at Lambcroft.Kelstern Grade II listed parish church is dedicated to St Faith and is Early English in origin, but was restored in 1886. The Calcethorpe with Kelstern ecclesiastical parish is now incorporated into the larger grouping of the Binbrook Group of Parishes.Calcethorpe, with South Cadeby, immediately to its south, is the site of lost medieval villages of the same names, managed by Defra to preserve wildlife.To the east of the village are Bronze Age barrows.In 1917 RAF Kelstern was established adjacent to the village as a First World War airfield, and in 1942 became the Second World War home to No. 625 Squadron RAF.Maltby, South Yorkshire
Maltby is a former mining town and civil parish of 16,688 inhabitants (2011) in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. It was historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire. It is located about 6 miles (10 km) east of Rotherham town centre and 10 miles (16 km) north-east of Sheffield city centre. It forms a continuous urban area with Hellaby, separated from the rest of Rotherham by the M18 motorway.North Willingham
North Willingham is a village and civil parish in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. The population of the civil parish (including Sixhills) was 181 at the 2011 census. It is situated 3.5 miles (6 km) east from the town of Market Rasen on the A631 road between Market Rasen and Louth.
The village is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Wunlingeha", with 57 households.The parish church is dedicated to Saint Thomas the Apostle and is a Grade II listed building dating from the 14th century, with later additions and alterations and an 1896 interior restoration. It contains a 19th-century octagonal font. Built into the west wall of the nave is the head of a 13th-century grave slab, and in the chancel two freestanding crosses brought from Palestine after the First World War.St Thomas became part of Walesby Group of Parishes in 1979, which comprises churches in Brookenby, Claxby by Normanby, Kirmond le Mire, Normanby le Wold, Stainton le Vale, Tealby and Walesby.North Willingham Church of England School was built in 1850 and closed in 1949.Jessie Boucherett was a campaigner for women's rights. Daughter of Ayscough (sometimes Ayscoghe) Boucherett, High Sheriff of Lincolnshire, she was born at Willingham House in 1825 and died there in 1905, being buried at St Thomas church. The house was built in 1790 for the Boucherett family.During the Second World War Willingham House became Camp 256, a Prisoner of War work camp. It held German prisoners who worked as labourers in the local area. Willingham House was demolished in 1976.RAF Hemswell
Royal Air Force Station Hemswell or more simply RAF Hemswell is a former Royal Air Force station located 7.8 miles (12.6 km) east of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
Located close to the village of Hemswell in Lincolnshire, England the disestablished airfield is now in full use as a civilian industrial and retail trading estate, forming part of the newly created parish of Hemswell Cliff along with the station's married quarters and RAF built primary school that are now in non-military ownership.
The airfield used by RAF Bomber Command for 20 years between 1937 and 1957 and saw most of its operational life during the Second World War. Later used again by RAF Bomber Command as a nuclear ballistic missile base during the Cold War it closed to military use in 1967.On 19 March 1940 RAF Hemswell-based Handley Page Hampdens of No. 61 Squadron RAF were the first Bomber Command aircraft to drop bombs on German soil during the Second World War. The target was the Hörnum seaplane base on the northern Germany coast.
RAF Hemswell was immortalised on film when it was used as a substitute for RAF Scampton in all the ground-based filming of the 1954 war film The Dambusters.River Ancholme
The River Ancholme is a river in Lincolnshire, England, and a tributary of the Humber.
It rises at Ancholme Head, a spring just north of the village of Ingham (SK 96675 85014) and immediately west of the Roman Road, Ermine Street. It flows east and then north to Bishopbridge (west of Market Rasen) (TF 03163 91070), where it is joined by the Rase. North of Bishopbridge it flows through the market town of Brigg before draining into the Humber at South Ferriby. It drains a significant part of northern Lincolnshire between the Trent and the North Sea.
The river has been used by humans since at least 800 BC, confirmed by the excavation of a planked boat at Brigg, and patents covering improvements to the river are known from 1287 onwards. Major change occurred in 1635, when a new straight channel was constructed from Bishopbridge to Ferriby. The new channel carries most of the water and is known as the New River Ancholme, whereas the Old River Ancholme maintains its natural course, meandering from side to side. The old course is mostly reduced to a drain, except around the town of Brigg where the two rivers create an island in the centre of Brigg known as 'Island Carr'. Further improvements were started by John Rennie (the Elder) in the early 1800s and completed by his son in the 1820s, with the reconstruction of Ferriby Sluice taking place around 1841.
From that time onwards the river was reasonably profitable, and although receipts were reduced when railways arrived in the area, trade picked up in the 1890s, and was boosted by cargoes of sugar beet in the 1930s. All commercial carrying had ceased above Brigg by the 1970s, and stopped altogether in the 1980s. The upper section was almost derelict by then, but was restored and dredged in 2004. The river is an important drainage channel for north Lincolnshire, but is also used for leisure, with boating, rowing, canoeing and fishing taking place. Responsibility for the river changed six times between 1930 and 1996, but it is now managed by the Environment Agency.
The Ancholme Internal Drainage Board maintains twelve pumping stations on the banks of the river, which pump water from the surrounding low-lying land to prevent flooding. The river also supplies large volumes of water to the Scunthorpe Steelworks, and to Anglian Water, who use it to provide a public water supply to the South Humber bank industrial area. In order to maintain this volume of abstraction during the summer months, and other dry periods, water is transferred from Barlings Eau, near the River Witham, by the Trent Witham Ancholme transfer scheme, commissioned in 1974.
Few of the bridges which cross the river form part of a public road, and so they have not been replaced to cope with increased traffic. A number of them are listed structures, while Ferriby Lock is a scheduled ancient monument. The river is also home to two historic boats owned by the Humber Keel & Sloop Preservation Society.River Don, Yorkshire
The River Don (also called Dun in some stretches) is a river in South Yorkshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It rises in the Pennines and flows for 70 miles (110 km) eastwards, through the Don Valley, via Penistone, Sheffield, Rotherham, Mexborough, Conisbrough, Doncaster and Stainforth. It originally joined the Trent, but was re-engineered by Cornelius Vermuyden as the Dutch River in the 1620s, and now joins the River Ouse at Goole. Don Valley is the local UK parliamentary constituency near the Doncaster stretch of the river.River Idle
The River Idle is a river in Nottinghamshire, England. Its source is the confluence of the River Maun and River Meden, near Markham Moor. From there, it flows north through Retford and Bawtry before entering the River Trent at Stockwith near Misterton. The county boundary with South Yorkshire follows the river for a short distance near Bawtry, and the border with Lincolnshire does the same at Idle Stop. Originally, it flowed northwards from Idle Stop to meet the River Don on Hatfield Chase, but was diverted eastwards by drainage engineers in 1628.
Most of the land surrounding the river is a broad flood plain. Between Retford and Bawtry, the floodplain is partly occupied by a number of sand and gravel pits, where exhausted forming public lakes for fishing, while beyond Bawtry, the river is constrained by high flood banks, to allow the low-lying areas to be drained for agriculture. Its main tributaries are the River Poulter and the River Ryton.
The river is navigable to Bawtry, and there is a statutory right of navigation as far upstream as East Retford, although access to the river through the entrance sluices is very expensive. Its drainage functions are managed by the Environment Agency, but there is no navigation authority. The river is important for conservation, with the Idle Washlands and some of the sand and gravel pits of the Idle Valley being designated Sites of Special Scientific Interest.River Till, Lincolnshire
The River Till is a river is the county of Lincolnshire in England and is ultimately a tributary of the River Witham. Its upper reaches drain the land east of Gainsborough. The middle section is embanked, as the water level is higher than that of the surrounding land, and pumping stations pump water from low level drainage ditches into the river. Its lower reaches from the hamlet of Odder near Saxilby into the city of Lincoln were canalised, possibly as early as Roman times, as part of the Foss Dyke.Much of the channel is managed by the Environment Agency as it is classified as a main river, while the upper river and the land drainage ditches which border the river are managed by the Upper Witham internal drainage board. In order the help protect the city of Lincoln from flooding, a sluice has been built across the channel at the Till Washlands site. When flooding is a possibility, the sluice is closed, and other sluices allow the surrounding farmland to be inundated until water levels start to fall again. The defences were first used in 2000, and successfully prevented flood damage in Lincoln in the summer of 2007.
There are issues with water quality on much of the river, caused by run-off from agricultural land, physical modification of the river channel, and discharges from sewage treatment works. In 2011, a stretch of the river near Saxilby was affected by the invasive aquatic fern Azolla. An environmental project to control the fern saw some 8,000 Azolla weevils (Stenopelmus rufinasus) released into the river. As they feed exclusively on the fern, once the fern has been consumed they die out naturally without affecting native species.Trent Bridge, Gainsborough
Trent Bridge, Gainsborough is a road bridge crossing of the River Trent at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.West Rasen
West Rasen is a village and civil parish in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the A631 road, and approximately 3 miles (5 km) west from Market Rasen.
The population is included in the civil parish of Osgodby.
The parish church is a Grade I listed building dedicated to All Saints, dating from the 11th century, and built from ironstone. The font is 15th-century, and the former north aisle chapel was a chantry founded in 1373 for John Pouger and dissolved in 1548.
The churchyard cross is 14th-century, although it was restored in the 19th century, and is both Grade II listed and a scheduled monument.Packhorse Bridge is a Grade II* ironstone listed bridge over the River Rase, which dates from the 15th century with 20th-century alterations. It consists of a narrow bridge with 3 arches and cobbled surface. It is a scheduled monument.The Post Office is a Grade II listed former cottage, now shop and house, dating from the late 17th century with 20th-century alterations and additions. It is likely to have been mud and stud originally, but is now underbuilt in red brick with a thatched roof.
A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme