The A625 near the Grouse Inn high on the Derbyshire Peaks
|Length||11.8 mi (19.0 km)|
First named Ecclesall Road, it begins at the Moore Street roundabout in Sheffield and runs southwesterly towards Hathersage after a change in name to Hathersage Road, crossing from South Yorkshire into Derbyshire. It separates from the A6187 road 3.5 miles (5.6 km) east of Hathersage and continues to Calver where it finishes at a crossroads with the B6001 and A623 road.
The A625 previously ran, undiverted, between Castleton and Chapel-en-le-Frith, winding its way up the south face of Mam Tor—replacing a much earlier route through the Winnats Pass. This section of the road proved highly prone to landslides, especially after periods of heavy rain, and was in constant need of repair. It was finally abandoned in 1979 and traffic was, once again, directed westwards through the Winnats Pass.
This section of the road was first constructed in 1819 by the Sheffield & Chapel-en-le-Frith Turnpike Company using spoil from the nearby Odin Mine. It replaced a much earlier, ancient packhorse route, running through the Winnats Pass. Also known locally as "The New Road", the new section was set at an easier gradient than the earlier Winnats Pass route and crossed the Mam Tor landslide. As a result of further movement of the Mam Tor landslip, major road works were required in 1912, 1933, 1946, 1952 and 1966. On the last occasion, the road was closed for six weeks. In 1974 large parts of the Mam Tor section collapsed during a massive landslide. Additional road works were carried out regularly, when wet years led to further landslides. Finally, the Mam Tor section of the road was abandoned in 1979. Hereafter, traffic was routed through the Winnats Pass to rejoin the A625 at Windy Knoll.
The road's course was altered in 2000 to meet the A623 further east, the old route becoming the A6187.
The A6187 is a secondary route in the Peak District, Derbyshire and South Yorkshire, United Kingdom. It starts in Castleton, runs in an easterly direction past Fox House Inn where it joins the A625 road. It is 13.6 miles long.Castleton, Derbyshire
Castleton is a village in the High Peak district of Derbyshire, England, at the western end of the Hope Valley on the Peakshole Water, a tributary of the River Noe, between the Dark Peak to the north and the White Peak to the south. The population was 642 at the 2011 Census.Froggatt, Derbyshire
Froggatt is a village and a civil parish on the A625 road and the River Derwent in the English county of Derbyshire. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 Census was 204. It is near the village of Calver.Mam Tor
Mam Tor is a 517 m (1,696 ft) hill near Castleton in the High Peak of Derbyshire, England. Its name means "mother hill", so called because frequent landslips on its eastern face have resulted in a multitude of "mini-hills" beneath it. These landslips, which are caused by unstable lower layers of shale, also give the hill its alternative name of Shivering Mountain. In 1979, the continual battle to maintain the A625 road (Sheffield to Chapel en le Frith) on the crumbling eastern side of the hill was lost when the road officially closed as a through-route, with the Fox House to Castleton section of the road being re-designated as the A6187.
The hill is crowned by a late Bronze Age and early Iron Age univallate hill fort, and two Bronze Age bowl barrows. At the base of the Tor and nearby are four show caves: Blue John Cavern, Speedwell Cavern, Peak Cavern and Treak Cliff Cavern where lead, Blue John, fluorspar and other minerals were once mined.
Simon Jenkins rates the panorama from Kinder Scout to Stanage Edge as one of the top ten in England.Sheffield to Hathersage Turnpike
The Sheffield to Hathersage turnpike was an early road through the English Peak District, which was improved by a turnpike trust in the 18th century. The road may have originated as a Roman road.Winnats Pass
Winnats Pass (or just Winnats as it is shown on some Ordnance Survey maps) is a hill pass and limestone gorge in the Peak District of Derbyshire, England. It lies to the west of the village of Castleton, in the National Trust's High Peak Estate and the High Peak borough of Derbyshire. The road winds through a cleft, surrounded by high limestone ridges. The pass was once thought to have originated as a giant collapsed cavern; however, a more recent explanation is that it was a ravine between the coral reefs that originally formed the limestone.The name is a corruption of 'wind gates'. A local legend is that the pass is haunted after a young couple were murdered by miners in 1758.The permanent closure of the main A625 road at Mam Tor in 1979 due to subsidence has resulted in Winnats Pass being heavily used by road traffic. However, the narrowness of the road and its maximum gradient of over 28% (1 in 3 1⁄2) has caused it to be closed to buses, coaches and vehicles over 7.5 tonnes in weight. The road regularly features in the Tour of the Peak cycle race each autumn.Winnats Pass was the location used for annual access relays in support of greater access to the moorlands or the Peak District at the time of the Mass Trespass of Kinder Scout. At their peak these were attended by up to 10,000 people.
A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme