A612 road

The A612 road is an A-class road in the United Kingdom running between Nottingham and Averham, on the A617 near Newark.

It starts in central Nottingham at a junction with the A60. Initially running east, as Pennyfoot Street, before a right turn sees it head southwards onto Manvers Street, a 4 lane single carriageway which was formerly a B road (B685). The road then crosses the main railway line out of Nottingham to the east over an early 1990s bridge (which again is 4 lane) before meeting Meadow Lane (here unclassified for approximately 100 metres, but further on the A6011) at a triangular roundabout.

After leaving the roundabout the road is two-lane dual carriageway with a 40 mph (64 km/h) speed limit for approximately 1,000 yards (910 m). A further roundabout with Trent Street by a call centre for Virgin Media sees a change to 2 lane single carriageway, as it is for the remainder of its length, retaining the 40 mph (64 km/h) limit. After a further roundabout at Nottingham Racecourse, the limit changes to the national speed limit of 60 mph (97 km/h) until Colwick is reached, when it changes to 30 mph (48 km/h) to pass through a built up stretch.

Leaving Colwick the road becomes the Colwick Loop Road, which bypasses Netherfield, Carlton and Gedling. This section was also built national speed limit, but in May 2007 was reduced to 40 mph (64 km/h) concurrent with the opening of the Gedling bypass, or as it was described in the plans, "Gedling Integrated Transport Scheme". The former section of Colwick Loop Road bypassed by the scheme is now mapped as the A6211, but is unsigned at ground level.

Rejoining the former route at a signalled T-junction, we enter Burton Joyce. Initially a 40 mph (64 km/h) limit, approaching the village centre the limit is reduced to 30 mph (48 km/h). Here, a 1930s bypass would previously have bypassed the bulk of the village but now almost bisects it, as development has spread across the road. Bypassing Bulcote, the road is then 60 mph (97 km/h) again as it opens out towards a roundabout junction with the A6097 at Lowdham.

After leaving Lowdham the road is again open single carriageway with a 60 mph (97 km/h) limit. Gonalston is bypassed, and then we pass through Thurgarton, up a steep hill before the road becomes 60 mph (97 km/h) again. The road between Thurgarton and Southwell is relatively undulating and bendy.

Entering Southwell from the south-west, passing the leisure centre, we then meet the B6386 at a T-junction where you need to turn off the A612 to stay on the numbered route. After passing the West gate to Southwell Minster, the road turns right at a mini roundabout by the Saracen's Head public house and passes the north side of the Minster. A further sharp bend to the left allows us to pass another racecourse, this time Southwell Racecourse, before exiting Southwell past the former workhouse which is now a museum.

Heading east through Upton, past a property owned by the British Horological Society, we meet the A617 near Averham at a signalled T-junction, signalling the end of the route.

Plans have been drawn up by Nottinghamshire County Council to bypass Southwell. The plans have existed since before 1990. The County Council has acquired a number of parcels of land in the line of the plan. However, considerable opposition is building up to the plan. Southwell residents are arguing that the 'line' of the bypass will become a new edge of town, and allow considerable expansion of the urban edge of the town, into the sensitive southern aspect. This is the view which includes the historic town centre and views of the Southwell Minster.

New traffic measures are suggested as an alternative to reduce through traffic, such as an HGV ban except for access, and downgrading this inappropriate route from Lowdham to Newark, to B road status. Through traffic should be directed at Lowdham and Newark to the newly dualled A46.

UK road A612

A612
Major junctions
Southwest end A60 near Nottingham
52°57′11″N 1°08′19″W / 52.9531°N 1.1386°W
  A6097
Northeast end A617 near Newark-on-Trent
53°05′23″N 0°52′34″W / 53.0897°N 0.8760°W
Road network

Former routes

  • The 1922 designation of the A612 had the terminus on the A617 in Southwell, not Averham. The latter passed through Farnsfield, Edingley and Halam, before meeting the A612 in Southwell and continuing through Upton to Newark.
  • Through Nottingham, the A612 (until the Manvers Street bridge was opened in the early 1990s) passed through Sneinton, Carlton and Gedling, along what is now the B686.
  • In 2007, following the opening of the Gedling bypass, the bypassed section became A6211 then unclassified. The former route under the railway bridge, and a length of Stoke Lane, are closed to through traffic by using bus plugs. These are traffic signals permanently on a red light unless a bus is passing through it. The restriction has caused controversy amongst local residents especially in the Nottingham Evening Post.
  • In 2011 The 'Bus Plugs' were opened to normal traffic. The traffic signals are still present but change when any vehicle approaches them.

The reopening of the bus plug still causes controversy with many Councillors and locals questioning the validity

External links

Reports of bus plug controversy:

Coordinates: 53°01′16″N 0°58′57″W / 53.0211°N 0.9824°W

Bakersfield, Nottingham

Bakersfield is a small residential suburb of Nottingham east of the city centre.

Brackenhurst Cricket Ground

Brackenhurst Cricket Ground is a cricket ground near Southwell, Nottinghamshire on the east side of the A612 road. The first positive mention of the ground was on the Ordnance Survey map which appear after the 1830s survey. It was used by the Nottinghamshire Gentlemen as well as by local clubs. In 1846, the Gentlemen of Southwell with Five men given and A Mynn, played England in what is the grounds only first-class. The ground has held 6 Second XI Championship matches for the Nottinghamshire Second XI between 1967 and 1995, the last of which saw the Nottinghamshire Second XI play the Sussex Second XI.The ground was bought by Nottinghamshire County Council in 1947 and is today surrounded by Nottingham Trent University Brackenhurst Campus. It is still in use to this day and is the home venue of Southwell Cricket Club, who until 2004 played in the Nottinghamshire Cricket Board Premier League.

Carlton le Willows Academy

Carlton le Willows Academy is an 11–18 mixed, comprehensive secondary school and sixth form with academy status in Gedling, Nottinghamshire, England. It is part of the Greater Nottingham Education Trust.

Recruiting its first pupils in 1953, on-site teaching was introduced in the following year and the school was officially opened in 1956. Consequently, the modern school speculates Carlton le Willows to have been founded as the first post-war grammar school in England. Its campus was split from 1962 when a separate secondary technical school, Carlton le Willows Technical Grammar School, was established. The schools unified in 1973 and converted to a single comprehensive school; two local secondary modern schools, both founded in the early 20th-century, were also implicated in the merger. Carlton le Willows was granted specialist Technology College status from 2002 until 2010, became a foundation school in 2007 and converted into an academy in 2011.

It operates on a single, 32-acre (13 ha) campus and its teaching follows the National Curriculum. Pupils generally sit examinations for around eight General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) qualifications, or equivalent diplomas, in Year Eleven (aged 15–16). Pupils have a choice to study three or four GCE Advanced Levels (A Levels) if they are admitted into the sixth form, though more vocational courses remain available.

Colwick

Colwick ( KOL-ik) is a village, civil parish and suburb of the city of Nottingham, in the English ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire. It is situated to the east of Nottingham's city boundary, and forms the Colwick ward within the local government district of Gedling. At the time of the 2011 census, the village had a population of 2,829.

Netherfield, Nottinghamshire

Netherfield is a town and suburb of the city of Nottingham, in the English ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire. It is situated to the east of Nottingham's city boundary in the borough of Gedling, approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) between Colwick and Carlton in the NG4 postcode area, and near the River Trent. The appropriate Gedling ward is called 'Netherfield and Colwick'. At the time of the 2011 census, the population of this ward was 7,398.

Netherfield railway station

Netherfield railway station serves the area of Netherfield in the Borough of Gedling in Nottinghamshire, England. It comprises a single island platform with two tracks, with only a single waiting shelter. Access is via a flight of steps down from Chaworth Road, which bridges the line at this point.

The station is little-used in comparison with nearby Carlton railway station on the Nottingham to Lincoln Line, which lies barely 460 yards (420 m) away.

River Greet

The River Greet is a small river in Nottinghamshire, England. Rising close to the village of Kirklington, the Greet flows in a southeasterly direction past Southwell and Rolleston to meet the River Trent at Fiskerton.

Sneinton

Sneinton (pronounced "Snenton") is a village and suburb of Nottingham, England. The area is bounded by Nottingham City Centre to the west, Bakersfield to the north, Colwick to the east, and the River Trent to the south. Sneinton now lies within the unitary authority of Nottingham, having been part of Nottinghamshire until 1877.

Sneinton has existed as a village since at least 1086, but remained relatively unchanged up until the industrial era, when the population dramatically expanded. Further social change in the post-war period left Sneinton with a multicultural character. Sneinton residents of note include William Booth, founder of The Salvation Army, and mathematician George Green, who worked Green's Mill at the top of Belvoir Hill.

Thurgarton

Thurgarton is a small village in rural Nottinghamshire, England. The village is close to Southwell, and Newark-on-Trent, with a medium-length commuting distance to Nottingham. It is served by Thurgarton railway station. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 412, increasing to 440 at the 2011 census.

A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.