The A6055 is a 25-mile (40 km) stretch of road in North Yorkshire that runs from Knaresborough to Boroughbridge, with a break, then starts up again at Junction 50 of the A1(M) to run parallel with A1(M) acting as a Local Access Road (LAR) going between Junction 50 and 56 at Barton. Responsibility for the route rests with the Highways Agency, as it is designated as a primary route associated with the A1(M) upgrade.
|Length||25 mi (40 km)|
A168 (ends here - Junction 48)
A1(M) (starts here - Junction 50)
|North end||Barton, North Yorkshire|
It runs in a North-northeast direction from the A59 at Bond End in Knaresborough where it is called Boroughbridge Road, through the Stockwells Estate. It exits Knaresborough just past Greengate Lane where it turns directly north, before once again resuming a northeasterly direction at a sharp bend on the junction with Farnham Lane. It passes the Knaresborough Golf Club, before going through Ferrensby Lodge, and taking another Northerly turn before reaching Ferrensby itself. Beyond Ferrensby the road is called Harrogate Road, and it continues in a more or less exact northeasterly direction from Ferrensby to Spellow Hill, near Staveley, at which point it resumes its due North direction through Minskip, before turning Northeast one final time to its former terminus at junction 48 of the A1(M), just outside Boroughbridge. From here it runs in multiplex with the A1(M) for two junctions to junction 50 at Baldersby Gate Interchange. Northwards from here it follows the line of the former northbound carriageway of the A1, save for a few deviations onto the former southbound line, to a new terminus at Leeming Junction.
With work complete on the A1(M) upgrade between Leeming and Barton, A6055 continues north on the western side of the newly opened A1(M), crossing over the new route in the Killerby Hall area and then taking the route of the old A1 road past Catterick to a new junction with the A6136 road on the western side of the A1(M). It then heads north through Catterick Bridge, switching to the west side and then northward up to Scotch Corner. Going north from Scotch Corner up to Barton Interchange it is firstly on the west side before transferring to the east side via an overbridge where it takes the formation of Kneeton Lane before meeting with the B6275 just east of Barton Interchange. Work on this new section, and on the A1(M) upgrade and associated junctions was expected to be finished by the end of 2017. However, delays to the A1(M) Leeming to Barton upgrade meant the full road opened up to traffic between Catterick Bridge, Brompton-on-Swale, Scotch Corner and Barton on 26 February 2018. This was still a full month before the adjacent A1(M) motorway was fully open.
Between junctions 50 and 56 (Barton), the road has an additional name of LAR, Local Access Route.
Before 2012 there was no section of A1 (M) motorway between the junction for the A168 and Barton, just after Scotch Corner. This is where the old A1 road was sandwiched between the sections of the A1(M). It used to be in a Primary road Dual Carriageway standard use of junctions and 'give ways'. When the A1(M) was built there was no need of it any more so it was downgraded to a secondary status ripped down to a single carriageway standard. Now it is a useful road for non-motorway traffic since it joins the road where the A1 starts again toward Scotch Corner.
The stretch of road between Knaresborough and Boroughbridge has been described as "notorious" on account of its safety issues and local residents have asked for speed limits and traffic calming measures. On this section, average traffic flow per day rose from 5,397 vehicles in 2000 to 7,982 vehicles in 2014.
The average volume of daily traffic at the A6055 just south of the A684 junction was 4,730 in 2013 and 6,789 in 2014.
The A6055 now takes the route of the former A6136 road through Catterick Bridge and continues through the old northern junction on the A1 road and forms a Local Access Route (LAR) on the western side of the A1(M) where it joins the A6108 road just south of Scotch Corner. To necessitate these changes, and with traffic flow being heavier on the A6055, the priorities at the bridge over the River Swale in Catterick Bridge have been changed. The junction used to have a priority for traffic travelling from Catterick village to Catterick Bridge as one fork of the A6136; this was changed amidst much local opposition.
Bedale ( BEE-dayl) is a market town and civil parish in the district of Hambleton, North Yorkshire, England. Historically part of the North Riding of Yorkshire, it is situated 34 miles (55 km) north of Leeds, 26 miles (42 km) south-west of Middlesbrough and 7 miles (11 km) south-west of the county town of Northallerton. It was originally in Richmondshire and listed in the Domesday Book as part of Catterick wapentake, which was also known as Hangshire (so named from Hang Bank in Finghall and because of the many gallows used to execute marauding Scots); it was split again and Bedale remained in East Hang. Bedale Beck is a tributary of the River Swale, which forms one of the Yorkshire Dales, with its predominance of agriculture and its related small traditional trades, although tourism is increasingly important.Bedale Beck
Bedale Beck is a river that flows through the eastern end of Wensleydale and passes through Crakehall, Bedale and Leeming before entering the River Swale at a point between Morton-on-Swale and Gatenby. Between source and mouth its length is 25.7 miles (41 km).Church of St Anne, Catterick
The Church of St Anne, Catterick is a parish church in the village of Catterick, North Yorkshire, England. The present church structure dates back to the early 15th century, but some of its stones are from an earlier structure located on the same site. A place of worship in Catterick village is believed to have been in existence since the 7th century. The church has been dedicated to Saint Anne since its original consecration date of 1415.
The contract between the benefactors of the church and their stonemason is one of the oldest contractual documents written in English and has provided much insight into the Northern English dialect at that time.
The north side of the church has a small section dedicated to the Royal Air Force Regiment who had their home depot at the nearby RAF Catterick between 1946 and 1994.Exelby
Exelby is a village in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated 2 miles (3.2 km) south-east of Bedale and 0.5 miles (0.8 km) west of the A1(M) motorway and is part of the civil parish of Exelby, Leeming and Newton. The civil parish had a total of 2,788 residents at the time of the 2011 census with Exelby only having 80 homes. The name of the village derives from Old Danish or Old Norse and means Eskil's farm or Eskil's settlement.
In the 1086 Domesday Book Exelby is noted as "Aschilebi", with only 1 man but 20 ploughlands, and in the North Riding's Land of Count Alan. In 1066 Merleswein the Sheriff was Lord of the Manor, which by 1086 had been transferred to Robert of Moutiers, with Count Alan of Brittany as Tenant-in-chief.The village lies on the B6285 which connects Bedale with Exelby, Theakston, Burneston and the A6055 road just east of Burneston.In October 2018, the residents of the village, along with other community investors, bought the closed village pub The Green Dragon. The intent is to revamp and re-open the former pub as a cafe and community hub.Leeming Bar
Leeming Bar is a village in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England. The village lay on the original Great North Road (Dere Street) before being bypassed. It is now home to a large industrial estate and the main operating site of the Wensleydale Railway.Minskip
Minskip is a village in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire, England. It forms part of the civil parish of Boroughbridge. It is on the A6055 road and 1 mile south-west of Boroughbridge. Minskip appears in the Domesday Book as Minescip, a name derived from the Old English gemaenscipe meaning a community or communal holding.RAF Catterick
Royal Air Force Catterick or RAF Catterick is a former Royal Air Force airfield located near Catterick, North Yorkshire in England. It is located alongside the A6055 road on the outskirts of Catterick Village.
The station closed in 1994 and was transferred to the British Army to become Marne Barracks. Operationally it falls under the command of Catterick Garrison. It currently houses 5th Regiment Royal Artillery and 32 Engineer Regiment.Scotch Corner
Scotch Corner is an important junction (now a roundabout interchange) of the A1(M) and A66 trunk roads near Richmond in North Yorkshire, England (grid reference NZ214053). One of the best-known junctions in the country – it has been described as "the modern gateway to Cumbria, the North East and Scotland" – it is a primary destination signed from as far away as the M6 motorway. The junction's name is derived from the fact that it is the point of divergence for traffic coming from London, the East Midlands and Yorkshire wishing to continue either to Edinburgh and eastern Scotland (along the A1(M)) or to Glasgow and western Scotland (by taking the A66).Scriven
Scriven is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire, England. The nearest city is York. From 1947 to 1998 Scriven was part of the Claro Registration District, until this was abolished. It is situated north-west of the A6055 road from Bond End and situated north-east of the B6165 Ripley Road.
Scriven-with-Tentergate was a parish however in modern days it is now known as Scriven due to a boundary change. The name Scriven originally meant "Hollow-place" with pits and could have referred to the quarrying that occurred nearby. Tentergate however contains the derivative "gate", which is the Scandinavian translation for street, and was the place where cloth was stretched for drying.
A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme