The A59 is a major road in England which is around 109 miles (175 km) long and runs from Wallasey, Merseyside to York, North Yorkshire. The alignment formed part of the Trunk Roads Act 1936, being then designated as the A59. It is a key route connecting Merseyside at the M53 motorway to Yorkshire, passing through three counties and connecting to various major motorways. The road is a combination of historical routes combined with contemporary roads and a mixture of dual and single carriageway. Sections of the A59 in Yorkshire closely follow the routes of Roman roads, some dating back to the Middle Ages as salt roads, whilst much of the A59 in Merseyside follows Victorian routes which are largely unchanged to the present day.
Numerous bypasses have been constructed throughout the 20th century, one of the earliest being the Maghull bypass in the early 1930s, particularly where traffic through towns was congested. Portions of the route through Lancashire were proposed to be upgraded to motorway standard during the mid-20th century, latterly being downgraded to significant improvements then ultimately withdrawn from consideration. Sections of the road have previously been noted as being amongst the most dangerous in the country, particularly in Yorkshire, despite continued efforts to improve road safety.
Route of the A59 road across Northern England
A dual-carriageway stretch of A59 near Clitheroe
|Maintained by |
Lancashire County Council
Liverpool City Council
North Yorkshire County Council
Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council
York City Council
|Length||109 mi (175 km)|
|History||1936 (designated the A59)|
|Counties||Merseyside, Lancashire, North Yorkshire|
The A59 starts in Wallasey at the northern end of the M53 motorway and heading through the Kingsway Tunnel. In the centre of Liverpool, a separate 0.7 miles (1.1 km) spur heads north from the roundabout junction at the entrance of the Queensway Tunnel, joining the main route at Scotland Road in Vauxhall. It continues north through Kirkdale and Walton, passing Aintree Racecourse and Ormskirk Road (forming the boundary between Aintree and Netherton), before reaching Switch Island junction where it meets the A5036, M57 motorway and the M58 motorway. From Switch Island, the A59 travels through Maghull and Lydiate, into Lancashire through Aughton and thence to Ormskirk, closely following the Merseyrail Northern Line path.
At Ormskirk, it reverts from a dual to single carriageway on an old bypass. The road follows through Burscough and Rufford, despite a bypass being considered for this section in the early 1980s, before reaching the A565 at Tarleton. The road continues over the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and River Douglas through to Longton (and Hutton) bypass, where it returns to dual carriageway. Passing Lancashire Police HQ, the road continues through Penwortham across the River Ribble into Preston, by-passing the city centre via Ring Way, where the A583 from Blackpool converges. It briefly merges with the A6 before heading East and meeting the M6 at junction 31, after which the road splits into two separate carriageways until it meets the A677 for Blackburn.
The A59 continues through Myerscough Smithy then runs around the perimeter of Samlesbury Aerodrome (a British Aerospace installation). As Longsight Road, it passes through Salesbury until meeting A666, at which point it bypasses Billington, Whalley and Clitheroe before going through the village of Gisburn.
From Horton it enters North Yorkshire and goes through West and East Marton before meeting the A56, after which the road passes Broughton. Past Broughton, the road meets the Skipton bypass at its western end, where it overlaps the A65 on its route between Kendal and Leeds, de-merging with the A65 further to the east. The road continues over the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway through a roundabout junction with the B6160 before rising up Beamsley hill. At the top of the hill, the road crosses into the Harrogate district, at which points there is a long narrow, twisting descent, known as Kex Gill, that leads to Blubberhouses village.
The A59 then runs along the head of Fewston Reservoir and follows the route of a Roman road past the 'golf balls' at Menwith Hill, an RAF station. As Skipton Road, the A59 then declines towards Harrogate passing Kettlesing. Reaching Harrogate as Skipton Road, it meets the A61 Ripon Road for Ripon, Harrogate town centre and Leeds, before continuing through the suburbs of the town as Skipton Road. This section of the A59 is widely considered to be one of the busiest roads in North Yorkshire. Part of this section travels across the Stray, an act-protected tract of grassy land which horseshoes around the town centre. The A59 then turns left at the Empress Roundabout, which is itself on the Stray, towards Starbeck, although traffic travelling towards York is directed onto the A661 Wetherby Road to utilise the A658 Harrogate and Knaresborough Southern Bypass. The A59, however, continues to travel through Starbeck as Knaresborough Road and later High Street, then heads east to Knaresborough, passing through the town centre before heading towards York as York Road.
The remainder of the route is comparatively flat. From Knaresborough, the A59 meets up with York-directed traffic from Harrogate on the A658, and skirts to the north of Goldsborough towards the A1(M). The A59 heads towards York, travelling close to such places as Nun Monkton, Moor Monkton and Upper Poppleton before finally ending just to the west of the city walls at a zebra crossing at the junction of Bishopthorpe Road and Nunnery Lane, the A1036.
The A59 in Yorkshire from Green Hammerton to York follows the path of an old Roman road known locally as Watling Street and may in Medieval times have been used as a salt road. Archaeological digging in 2008 showed the Roman road crossing the River Nidd on an old county bridge prior to diverging north-east of Green Hammerton, contrary to previous understanding of the route. Evidence of ditches earlier than the Roman conquest of Britain were also uncovered during the archaeological dig in 2008, suggesting a road network present in the area dating back to the Iron Age.
Much of the present-day Merseyside alignment is unchanged over the last century, with the route through Liverpool to Switch Island junction in Aintree utilising existing road infrastructure from the Victorian era, such as Scotland Road. The present day alignment between Switch Island junction and Aughton, Lancashire via Maghull was non-existent prior to the 20th century, with the connecting roads being typically smaller lanes which still exist today. The A59's Ormskirk junction with the B5195 Turnpike Road is where the A59's continues along its Victorian alignment, known as Hollborn Hill before continuing through Ormskirk and West Lancashire. In Clitheroe district prior to the opening of the new Chatburn road in 1827the main Liverpool / Skipton route ran through Clitheroe town via Whalley road and Pimlico over the limestone ridge of Chatburn Old road.
The route from Liverpool to Leeds via Preston was one of many roads across the country to be designated a trunk road in the Trunk Roads Act 1936, being given the designation A59 and encompassing the alignment from Liverpool to Skipton. The route fell within the first schedule of the act, which also included around 4,460 miles (7,180 km) of road to be trunked and designated.
This century saw the vast majority of the A59's bypasses constructed, some of which were built before trunking, including a bypass of Ormskirk town centre in Lancashire, which appeared on maps from 1929 onwards as "Byepass Road" and subsequently forming the A59. Numerous additional bypasses were built after the road was trunked, to realign the A59 away from routes where it may have previously travelled through busy towns and cities. One of the earliest examples is in Lancashire with the Longton Bypass, which was constructed during 1956–57 at an estimated cost of £491,000 (equivalent to £12,040,000 in 2018). Prior to the bypass, the A59 travelled through the villages of Walmer Bridge, Longton and Hutton before being realigned to their east.
In Yorkshire at Beamsley Hill, there are two lanes east-bound (on an incline) and a single lane west-bound, some of which was improved at various points during the late 20th century, such as in Hazlewood, where the A59 was rerouted to become a largely straight road, bypassing the now older winding route which exists to its north-west. The A59 was also rerouted just to the east of the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway during the same period, requiring construction of a new Bolton Bridge over the River Wharfe, with the former alignment now forming a bridleway.
Up until the early 1970s, the start of the A59 was in the centre of Liverpool; this now forms a small spur connecting to the present day A59, which runs through the Kingsway Tunnel from its start point in Wallasey. The Birkenhead alignment of the A59 utilises a disused railway cutting to link the road up to the M53 motorway. In Lancashire, the A59 was realigned during the same period in the early 1970s, to bypass the towns of Clitheroe and Whalley and was constructed as a single-carriageway despite parliamentary concerns that it would be less safe than a dual-carriageway. The bypass had been confirmed the year before at an estimated cost of £3.4 million (equivalent to £54,966,958 in 2018).
The A59 stretch of the Skipton Bypass was opened in 1981 at an estimated cost of £16.4 million (equivalent to £61,744,032 in 2018), crossing the B6265 north of the town and providing relief to traffic congestion. The A59 was upgraded to primary status during the 1990s due to its increased perceived importance as an east–west route. This stretch of the route was claimed in 2004 to be one of the busiest roads in North Yorkshire.
Whilst now skirting to the north of Goldsborough towards the A1(M), originally the route went through the village of Flaxby and onto Allerton, but the route now travels a restricted east–west route and meets the A1(M) at its junction 47. The road originally ended to the south of Green Hammerton, with the A66 routed down from Boroughbridge and going into York.
The A59 in Yorkshire was part of North Yorkshire's 30 year transport plan in 2016, including maintenance of potholes and resurfacing works, as well as the potential construction of new routes.
Numerous sections of the route have been realigned at various stages, particularly where the previous alignment had travelled through busy villages or towns. Most have been constructed since the route was trunked and designated the A59, however some parts, such as the Maghull bypass, had been constructed prior to the Trunk Roads Act 1936.
|Maghull Bypass||Maghull||Lydiate||1932–1933||Dual-carriageway||4.0 miles (6.4 km)|
|Longton Bypass||Walmer Bridge||Hutton||1956–1957||Dual-carriageway||2.6 miles (4.2 km)|
|Clitheroe-Whalley Bypass||Billington||Chatburn||1969–1970||Single-carriageway||8.3 miles (13.4 km)|
|Skipton Bypass||Broughton||Skipton||1979–1981||Single-carriageway||3.0 miles (4.8 km)|
|Ormskirk Bypass||Bickerstaffe||Bretherton||Proposed 1982||Not constructed|
|Burscough Bypass||Burscough||Proposed 1982||Not constructed|
|Green Hammerton Bypass||Green Hammerton||1988–1989||Single-carriageway||1.3 miles (2.1 km)|
|Mellor Brook Bypass||Mellor Brook||1991–1992||Single-carriageway||0.8 miles (1.3 km)|
A bypass has been proposed for the Kex Gill section of road that spans from Blubberhouses to the top of Beamsley Hill. The road has been closed on many occasions since 2010 (particularly in 2016 when it was closed for 8 weeks for emergency repair work). It was closed again due to a landslip in May 2018 and local planners have stated that a new section of road should be built to the north of the current route on the other side of a very small and narrow valley. North Yorkshire County Council have stated that they will start to construct the £30 million bypass in spring 2020. At the same time, they revealed that the closure and repairs bill for the section of the A59 at Kex gill was over £3 million for the period of 2009–2018.
A bypass road for Ormskirk and Burscough respectively was first proposed as part of James Drake's 1949 Road Plan for Lancashire, described as an all-purpose road but later considered to be a potential motorway by 1958 and given the designation of A59(M). By 1963, Lancashire County Council had dropped the plans for a motorway of this nature, instead deciding to focus later efforts during the mid-1970s on proposing a scheme to improve the A59 link between Liverpool and Preston. This proposal was at the time considered to potentially become the M59 Motorway, with investigations into all practical options being considered, however the motorway was ultimately never constructed. A map published by Lancashire County Council and dated 1974 shows the suggested route of the motorway, starting at the missing M58 motorway junction 2 and continuing north-bound towards Blackpool along the alignment of the A59.
The A59 has persistently featured in the top 10 most dangerous roads in Britain. A report by The Sunday Times in 2004 branded a section of road between the towns of Skipton and Harrogate as being "the most hazardous primary route in the nation", suggesting that the cost to implement safety measures to reduce the number of incidents could be in the region of £3 million. North Yorkshire County Council claimed they were taking steps to reduce fatalities on the road and that accidents on the stretch in question was still too high, despite the number of accidents in 2003 being at its lowest in six years. The newspaper had also reported on the lives of those who have lost loved ones on the road.
In 2008 European Road Assessment Programme reported the risk of being involved in a death or disabling injury accident as being between Low-medium and Medium-high depending on the section of road travelled. There were renewed calls in 2017 to improve the A59 in Ribble Valley, Lancashire, with MP Nigel Evans describing the A59 as a "dangerous road" whilst requesting the police carry out a full audit of accidents in an effort to tackle the problem. A proposal to improve safety of the road between Skipton and Harrogate, which is the only direct route between the towns, was discussed by councillors in March 2017. Numerous possible re-alignments are being considered in an effort to minimize or eradicate the impact of road closures, which has cost the council almost £1 million.
There are numerous junctions along the route of the A59, including motorway and other A-road junctions. Major junctions and landmarks are listed below.
Aintree is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton, Merseyside. Historically in Lancashire, it lies between Walton and Maghull on the A59 road, about 5.5 miles (8.9 km) north-east of Liverpool city centre, in North West England.
It is best known as the site of Aintree Racecourse, which since the 19th century has staged the Grand National horserace. During the 1950s and 1960s, there was also a three-mile-long international Grand Prix motor racing circuit on the site, which used the same grandstands as the horserace. A shorter form of the racing circuit is still used for various motorsport events.Argleton
Argleton was a phantom settlement that appeared on Google Maps and Google Earth but did not exist and was removed by Google. The supposed location of Argleton was between the A59 road and Town Green railway station within the civil parish of Aughton in West Lancashire, England, which in reality is nothing more than empty fields. Data from Google is used by other online information services which consequently treated Argleton as a real settlement within the L39 postcode area. As a result, Argleton also appeared in numerous listings for things such as estate and letting agents, employment agencies and weather, but although the people, businesses and services listed are all in fact real, they are elsewhere in the same postcode district.Broughton, Craven
Broughton is a village and civil parish in the Craven district of North Yorkshire, England. The village is on the A59 road approximately 3 miles (5 km) west of Skipton.
The 2001 Census recorded a parish population of 81 increasing to 172 at the 2011 Census.Chatburn
Chatburn is a village, civil parish and electoral ward in the Ribble Valley, East Lancashire, England. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 1,102. It is situated in a hollow between two ridges north-east of Clitheroe, just off the A59 road. It lies near Pendle Hill, which is to the east of the village. The River Ribble flows to the west of the town. The town is approximately 400 feet above sea level.
The parish adjoins the Ribble Valley parishes of Grindleton, Sawley, Rimington, Downham, Worston, Clitheroe and West Bradford.Clayton-le-Dale
Clayton-le-Dale is a village and civil parish situated on the A59 road near Blackburn, in Lancashire, England. The population of the civil parish as of the 2011 census was 1,228. The village is in the Ribble Valley local government district.
The parish is mainly agricultural. Since the foot-and-mouth crisis in 2001 local businesses have started to diversify; for example Dowsons started making ice cream on their dairy farm and supplying Asda and Booths supermarkets, as well as producing unusual flavours of ice cream including black pudding flavour.Other examples of diversification in Clayton-le-Dale include tourism, and the development of industrial units in the village with Fairfield Business Park giving home to companies such as Ski & Trek, Evabel Ltd, Paul Case Furniture, and Mellor Cars.Downham, Lancashire
Downham is a village and civil parish in Lancashire, England. It is in the Ribble Valley district and at the United Kingdom 2001 census had a population of 156. The 2011 Census includes neighbouring Twiston giving a total for both parishes of 214. The village is on the north side of Pendle Hill off the A59 road about 3 miles (4.8 km) from Clitheroe. Much of the parish, including the village is part of the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). It adjoins the Ribble Valley parishes of Rimington, Twiston, Worston, Chatburn and Sawley, and the Pendle parish of Barley-with-Wheatley Booth.East Marton
East Marton is a village in the Craven district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 5 miles (8 km) west of the market town of Skipton and is on the A59 road. The Leeds and Liverpool Canal passes through the village on the descent from Foulridge to Leeds. The canal towpath in the village is part of the Pennine Way and the original pack-horse bridge over the canal was transformed into a double-arched bridge when the new A59 road was built on top of it. The canal was fully opened in 1816 with the section through East Marton being started in 1793. Some of the Navvies who died of Smallpox whilst constructing the canal are buried in the churchyard.The church, dedicated to St Peter, was first built during Norman times to replace an earlier Saxon church in the village. St Peter's has been added to in the 17th and 19th centuries.There is a TV transmission mast just north of the village.Together with West Marton it forms the civil parish of Martons Both and in the 2011 census the population was listed as 213.East Marton was an ancient parish, sometimes known as Church Marton or Marton in Craven, in Staincliffe Wapentake in the West Riding of Yorkshire. It was transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974.Fewston Reservoir
Fewston Reservoir is located in the Washburn valley north of Otley and west of Harrogate in Yorkshire, England. It was built in 1879. The capacity is about 3.5 million cubic metres. It can be found from the A59 road.The overflow from the reservoir feeds directly into the adjoining Swinsty Reservoir. Formerly, this overflow was encircled by a metal walkway from which floodboards could be lowered, but this has since been removed.The reservoir is the property of Yorkshire Water, which manages it for the benefit of walkers, anglers and wildlife. Situated in the charming Washburn valley, sharing an embankment with Swinsty Reservoir, Fewston is popular with walkers and runners. Cyclists and horse-riders can also make use of their own permitted tracks in the surrounding woodlands. Make use of the accessible toilets at Swinsty Moor car park with accessible parking here and at Blubberhouses car park. There are no steps, stiles or gates and the reservoir features wide, well surfaced paths with only a few moderate inclines.Green Hammerton
Green Hammerton is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated on the A59 road, 8 miles west of York and 10 miles east of Harrogate.
(H)ambretone, a place-name reflected now both in Kirk Hammerton ('Hammerton with the church', from Old Norse kirkja 'church') and in Green Hammerton ('Hammerton with the green', from Middle English grene), is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name seems to derive from the Old English plant-name hamor (whose meaning is not certain but might include hammer-sedge or pellitory of the wall) + tūn 'settlement, farm, estate'.The village has a Church of England parish church, St. Thomas' Church, and a church primary school, both located in the centre of the village. The former Congregational church in Green Hammerton, originally built as a Methodist Chapel in the late 1790s, was adapted for use as a Roman Catholic church, St Josephs, in 1961.The village pub is the Bay Horse Inn. Green Hammerton Village Hall opened in April 2010: it is run by the Green Hammerton Recreational Charity.Green Hammerton comes under the Ouseburn ward, of Harrogate District Council, the Ainsty division of North Yorkshire County Council and the Selby and Ainsty parliamentary constituency.Kirk Hammerton
Kirk Hammerton is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire, England. It is near the River Nidd and the A59 road, 10 miles (16 km) west of York. The village suffix refers to the Hamerton family who owned the land until the 16th century.Knabs Ridge Wind Farm
Knabs Ridge Wind Farm is an electricity generating site just south of the A59 road near to Felliscliffe, Kettlesing, North Yorkshire, England. It was the first wind farm to be built in North Yorkshire in over 15 years, and was believed to be the first time that civilian air traffic was considered in the planning permission process.Langho
Langho is a small rural village 5 miles (8 km) north of Blackburn in the Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England. It is part of the parish of Billington and Langho. The village is linked with Blackburn and Clitheroe by the A666 road and is served by Langho railway station on the Ribble Valley Line. The population at the 2011 census was 2,015.To the north, separated from the main village by the A59 road, is the original village of Old Langho. Further north there is Brockhall Village, a gated community developed in the 1990s on the site of a hospital. As of 2012, Northcote Manor, on Northcote Road, is the only restaurant in Lancashire with a Michelin star.The original Old St Leonard's Church was replaced by the present church in 1880, though the old church is still used several times a year for special services. There is a Church of England Primary School in the village, also called St Leonard's. There is also a Catholic church (Saint Mary's) and a Catholic school of the same name.Osbaldeston
Osbaldeston is a village and civil parish at grid reference SD6432 in Lancashire, England about 8 kilometres (5 mi) northwest of Blackburn and 10 kilometres (6 mi) east of Preston. The population of the civil parish as taken at the 2011 census was 185.Osbaldeston is on the A59 road and lies on the south bank of the River Ribble opposite Ribchester. There is no Anglican place of worship but the Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary (built in 1837-38) is at grid reference SD648318 in Longsight Road and is Perpendicular in style. The hamlet of Osbaldeston Green lies due north of the village.
Osbaldeston Hall, which lies beside the Ribble, is a Grade II* listed building dating from about 1600, constructed with crucks. It is associated with the Catholic martyr Edward Osbaldeston. Oxendale Hall is a building of 1656, with a gabled façade.Rimington
Rimington is a rural village and civil parish in the Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England. The population of the civil parish was 382 at the 2001 Census, however at the 2011 Census Middop was included with Rimington giving a total of 480. It is east of Clitheroe and south of the A59 road. The village consists of the hamlets of Howgill, Martin Top, Newby and Stopper Lane, and was formerly in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The parish adjoins the Ribble Valley parishes of Gisburn, Sawley, Downham, Twiston and Middop the Pendle parish of Barley-with-Wheatley Booth.Sollom
Sollom is a hamlet in the parish of Tarleton, in Lancashire, England. It lies south of Tarleton and north of Rufford on the A59 road, giving the village good links to Preston, Southport and Liverpool.Historically, the village was primarily an agricultural village thanks to the excellent soil, and farms in the area are still in use today.Swinsty Reservoir
Swinsty Reservoir is a reservoir in the Washburn valley north of Otley and west of Harrogate in Yorkshire, England. Construction began in 1871 and was completed in 1878. The capacity is about 866 million gallons, with a surface area of 63 hectares. It can be found from the A59 road.
The reservoir is below and directly adjoining Fewston Reservoir. The area around the reservoirs is popular with walkers.Thruscross Reservoir
Thruscross Reservoir is the northernmost of four reservoirs in the Washburn valley, lying north of Otley and west of Harrogate in North Yorkshire, England, near the hamlet of Thruscross. It can be found on an unclassified road from the A59 road (where the road from Otley joins.) Permission to construct the reservoir was granted via a water order in 1960 and Thruscross was completed in 1966, much later than the other three reservoirs which date back to the nineteenth century.The construction of the reservoir flooded the village of West End, which was already largely derelict following the decline of the flax industry. There is another hamlet close to the reservoir that retains the name of West End. The remains of a flax mill can be seen at the edge of the reservoir, and more of the village has been revealed at times of drought, such as the summers of 1989 and 1990. The work to build the reservoir included clearing trees, removing sacred items from the church and exhuming bodies from the graveyard.The reservoir is the property of Yorkshire Water, which manages it for the benefit of walkers, anglers and wildlife. Yorkshire Water also release water at specific times on the weekends and in the evenings to allow canoeists to navigate along all four reservoirs in the Washburn Valley. This canoe run starts at Thruscross.In the novel In a Dry Season by the English-born, Canadian-based crime writer Peter Robinson, the fictional village of Hobb's End, flooded by the creation of the Thornfield Reservoir, is exposed during a drought, leading to the discovery of a body. The geography described by Robinson indicates that he based the location of Hobb's End on the village of West End. The small bridge over the Washburn becomes the 'Fairy Bridge' and the flax mill is mentioned explicitly.West Marton
West Marton is a village in the Craven district of North Yorkshire, England. It is on the A59 road about 6.5 miles (10.5 km) west of the market town of Skipton.
Together with East Marton it forms the civil parish of Martons Both.Worston
Worston is a small linear village and civil parish in Lancashire, England. The village is north-west of Pendle Hill, east of Clitheroe, and is in the Ribble Valley district. As it is only a small village, with a population of 76 at the 2001 census, it has no parish council, but instead has a parish meeting. The parish meeting is shared with Mearley, a small parish south of Worston with no villages or hamlets and a population of 25, the second smallest in Lancashire. From the 2011 Census population information for both Mearley and Worston is included within the civil parish of Pendleton.
The village has a public house "The Calf's Head". The single road that passes through the village continues as a single track road to Downham. Worston is bypassed to the west by the A59 road, which passes through the edge of the parish. Slightly further north is the route of a Roman road, which forms part of the parish boundary.
Worston was once a township in the ancient parish of Whalley. This became a civil parish in 1866, forming part of the Clitheroe Rural District from 1894 till 1974.Mearley was also once a township in the ancient parish of Whalley. This became a civil parish in 1866, forming part of the Clitheroe Rural District from 1894 till 1974.Along with Wiswell and Barrow (since 2015), both Mearley and Worston form the Wiswell and Pendleton ward of Ribble Valley Borough Council.
|0 miles (0 km)||M53 motorway||Wallasey|
|4.3 miles (6.9 km)||A580 (East Lancashire Road) (from spur)||Kirkdale|
|5.6 miles (9.0 km)||A5058 (Queens Drive)||Walton|
|9.1 miles (14.6 km)||M57 motorway||Aintree|
|15.3 miles (24.6 km)||A570 (Southport Road)||Ormskirk|
|25 miles (40 km)||A565||Tarleton|
West Coast Main Line
|34.0 miles (54.7 km)||A583||Preston|
|34.5 miles (55.5 km)||A6|
|36.9 miles (59.4 km)||31 M6 motorway|
|Forest of Bowland|
|58.1 miles (93.5 km)||A682 (Burnley Road)||Gisburn|
|64.8 miles (104.3 km)||A56||Broughton|
|67.8 miles (109.1 km)||A65 (Skipton Bypass)||Skipton|
|RAF Menwith Hill|
|89.2 miles (143.6 km)||A61 (Ripon Road)||Harrogate|
|97.3 miles (156.6 km)||47 A1(M) motorway||Allerton Mauleverer|
|107.4 miles (172.8 km)||A1237||Upper Poppleton|
East Coast Main Line
|109.9 miles (176.9 km)||A1036 (Blossom Street)||York|
A roads in Zone 5 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme