The A483, also known as the Swansea to Chester Trunk Road, is a major road in the United Kingdom. It runs from Swansea in Wales to Chester in England via Llandovery, Llandrindod Wells, Oswestry and Wrexham, a distance of around 153 miles (246 km).
|Maintained by Highways England, English local authorities, South Wales Trunk Road Agency and North & Mid Wales Trunk Road Agency|
|Length||153 mi (246 km)|
The A483 begins at junction 42 of the M4 motorway, just east of Swansea. From here, it travels west along the Fabian Way towards Swansea city centre, where it turns to a northwesterly direction. It meets the M4 again at junction 47 at Penllergaer, after which it multiplexes with the A48 along Swansea Road, Bryntirion Road and Bolgoed Road to Pontarddulais.
After Pontarddulais, the route continues along Heol Fforest and Carmarthen Road. It diverges from the A48 at the terminus of the M4, junction 49, turning northeast towards Ammanford and then north towards Llandeilo. At Llandeilo it meets the A40, then multiplexes with this route as far as Llandovery. From here, it continues north into Powys.
The A483 continues through Llanwrtyd Wells, Builth Wells (where it intersects with the A470) and Llandrindod Wells. It intersects with the A44 at Crossgates, just north of Llandrindod Wells, then continues to Newtown, where it passes under the Cambrian Line at the Dolfor Road Railway Bridge. This low bridge, with a height restriction of 13 ft 3 in (4.04 m), has been hit by high vehicles on many occasions. From Newtown the road continues to Welshpool, running roughly parallel to the River Severn, before crossing the border into England at Llanymynech.
Junction 1 - A539 Ruabon
Junction 2 - B5426 Johnstown
Junction 3 - A5152 Croesfoel
Junction 4 - A525 Ruthin Road
Junction 5 - A541 Mold Road
Junction 6 - A5156 (A534) Gresford
Junction 7 - B5102 Rossett
Just south of Chester, the A483 intersects with the A55 North Wales Expressway. It then continues as a single carriageway to its terminus at the city centre, crossing the Grosvenor Bridge over the Dee.
There have been calls to upgrade the road from Shrewsbury to Wrexham, including the section of the A483 from Oswestry to Ruabon, to dual carriageway. There has also been a campaign by residents of Llanymynech and nearby Pant for an A483 bypass around these villages.
Media related to A483 road at Wikimedia Commons
The A4069 is an A road which connects Llandovery with Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen in Wales, UK.
The route begins at the junction with the A474 at the north of Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen, and travels through Lower Brynamman and Brynamman. The route then crosses over the Black Mountain range of the Brecon Beacons and emerges near Felindre near Llangadog. It crosses through Llangadog and then continues northeast until the junction with the A40 at Llandovery. It reaches a height of 493 m (1,617 ft) above sea level.A474 road
The A474 is a suburban main route in south Wales.
Settlements served by the A474 include:
The A481 is a road in Powys, Wales, which connects with the A483 road, not far from the A470 road at Llanelwedd, Builth Wells and leads to the A44 road near Llanfihangel Nant Melan. It is the main road leading to the A44 which connects Builth to Leominster and Hereford across the border with England.Afon Brân
The Afon Brân is a tributary of the River Towy (or Welsh Afon Tywi) in mid Wales. Its headwaters rise in Irfon Forest in the northeastern corner of Carmarthenshire as the Cynnant Fawr and Afon Lwynor and the river assumes the name of Afon Brân at their confluence to the north of the village of Cynghordy. Its major tributary is the Afon Gwydderig which joins it at Llandovery. Other tributaries include the Nant Bargod, Cynnant Fach, Afon Gwyddon, Nant Hirgwm, Nant Cwm-neuadd, Bawddwr and Afon Crychan with its own minor tributary the Afon Dulais.
The word 'brân' in Welsh means 'crow', an association which may be allude to the colours of its waters.
Northeastwards from Llandovery the valley of the Afon Brân is followed to just beyond Cynghordy by the Heart of Wales Railway and the A483 road to Llanwrtyd Wells. The modern road follows in part the line of the old Roman Road from the Roman fort at Llanfair Hill (Alabum) which overlooks the river above Llandovery. The railway crosses the Afon Brân by means of the Cynghordy Viaduct, a Victorian structure which is considered one of the finest of its kind in Wales.Beulah, Powys
Beulah is a village in southern Powys, Wales, lying on the Afon Cammarch. The village sits astride the main A483 road about 8 miles south-west of Builth Wells and is 49 miles (79 km) from Cardiff and 154 miles (248 km) from London.It benefits from both a pub and service station with attached shop. The parish church Eglwys Oen Duw ("Lamb of God"), built in 1867, can be found 1 mile to the north-west of the village.Celtic Trail cycle route
The Celtic Trail is a network of dedicated cycle routes in the National Cycle Network, crossing West, South and Mid Wales, and covering 377 miles in total. It is divided into east and west sections. The west section links Pembroke and Fishguard on the west coast to Swansea, and the east section covers the area from Swansea to Chepstow, Abergavenny and Hay-on-Wye in the east. It is largely traffic free but sections along the route are still being upgraded and improved. In some places there is a choice of a low-level route, or a high-level route for mountain bikes.
The network includes Route 42 (Glasbury, Mid Wales to Gloucester, England), Route 43 (Swansea to Builth Wells), Route 46 (Hereford to Newport), Route 47 (Newport to Fishguard), Route 49 (Abergavenny to Newport), and 492 (Cwmbran to Brynmawr), the Welsh section of Route 4 (London to Fishguard), a large part of Route 8 (Lon las Cymru, Cardiff to Holyhead), and other short links.
Places along Route 47 (from west to east) include:
Fishguard51.993°N 4.975°W / 51.993; -4.975
Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
National Botanic Garden of Wales
Pembrey Country Park (Millennium Coastal Path)
Severn Bridge51.609°N 2.639°W / 51.609; -2.639Cynghordy railway station
Cynghordy railway station (Welsh pronunciation) serves the rural community of Cynghordy near Llandovery, Carmarthenshire, Wales.
The station is on the Heart of Wales Line 46¾ miles (75 km) north east of Swansea. The station is located at street level at the end of a gravel track off a lane that is just off the main A483 road. The station had no facilities whatsoever for many years (see picture, right) but a shelter has recently been provided along with a customer help point and CIS screen.After departing this station heading northbound, the train crosses the Cynghordy Viaduct where panoramic views of the surrounding countryside can be seen. The grade II* listed 18-arch viaduct carries the route across the Afon Bran valley on a gentle curve - it is 102 feet (31 m) high and 850 ft (259 m) long and was built from sandstone and brick between 1867 and 1868.Four Crosses, Powys
Four Crosses is a village in Montgomeryshire in northern Powys, mid Wales, close to the border with Shropshire. It is in the community of Llandysilio. It lies on the A483 road which now bypasses the village to the west.
The village is home to over 900 persons.It is on the Offa's Dyke Path. The nearest town is Oswestry. The Foxen Manor housing estate has a football field and playground. This field is home to Four Crosses Football Club, who are in the SPAR Mid Wales League, and are moving up the division.
The village was served by Four Crosses railway station until 1965.Garth, Powys
Garth is a village in Powys, mid Wales. It lies on the A483 road between Builth Wells and Beulah at the point where the B4519 joins it from the south. The River Irfon flows to the south of the village.
Garth railway station is a request station on the Heart of Wales Line.Jersey Marine
Jersey Marine is a village in Neath Port Talbot county borough, Wales, UK located about 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Swansea. It falls within the Coedffranc West ward.
Jersey Marine is centered on a main road formed by Ashleigh Terrace, coming from a junction with the A483 road (Fabian Way), which curves to the east along New Road leading to Llandarcy. The A483, Fabian Way, is normally considered the gateway into Swansea City Centre, therefore it is mistakenly thought that the area is part of the city of Swansea despite the village being part of Neath Port Talbot. The local primary school in the village is Crymlyn Primary School. Secondary school age children attend school in Neath, not Swansea.
The village includes the Pant y Sais Nature Reserve, a fen area featuring a circular boardwalk which connects with the tow path of the Tennant Canal.
A new 800,000 sq ft (74,000 m2) distribution centre for Amazon.co.uk is sited south of the village on the site of a former cable manufacturing plant. It opened on 16 April 2008.Llanbadarn Fynydd
Llanbadarn Fynydd (meaning Church of Padarn in the mountain) is a village and community in Radnorshire, Powys, Wales, and is 63 miles (101 km) from Cardiff and 149 miles (240 km) from London.The community includes the villages of Llanbadarn Fynydd, Llananno and Llaithddu. In 2011 the population of Llanbadarn Fynydd was 306 with 8.8% of them able to speak Welsh.Castell y Blaidd Medieval Settlement lies nearby as well as Coventry Round Barrow and Moel Dod Round Barrow.
The New Inn is a former 17th-century coaching inn, now a family-run pub and restaurant.It lies on the A483 road which runs from Swansea to Chester.Llandeilo Bridge
Llandeilo Bridge (Welsh: Pont Llandeilo) is a Grade II* listed road bridge crossing the River Towy in Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, Wales. It carries the main A483 road towards Ffairfach.Llandybie
Llandybie (Welsh: Llandybïe [ˌɬandəˈbiːɛ] (listen), "Saint Tybie's church") is a community which includes a large village of the same name situated two miles north of Ammanford in Carmarthenshire, Wales.
According to the United Kingdom Census 2001, Llandybie village itself is home to a population of 3,800, while the community – which also includes the villages of Blaenau, Caerbryn, Capel Hendre, Cwmgwili, Pentregwenlais, Penybanc, Pen-y-groes, and Saron – has 8,800 inhabitants, increasing to 10,994 at the 2011 census.It was in Llandybie, in 1943, that the mineral Brammallite was found for the first time. Llandybie hosted the National Eisteddfod of Wales in 1944.
The village is served by Llandybie railway station on the Heart of Wales Line and the A483 road which is the main road. Llandybie Community Primary School is located in the north-easterly fringe of the village.
The community is bordered by the communities of: Dyffryn Cennen; Cwmamman; Betws; Ammanford; Llanedi; Llannon; Gorslas; and Llanfihangel Aberbythych, all being in Carmarthenshire.Marlston cum Lache
Marlston cum Lache is a former civil parish, now in the parishes of Dodleston and Eaton and Eccleston, in the Cheshire West and Chester district and ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. In 2001 it had a population of 112, increasing to 166 at the 2011 Census. Marlston cum Lache is served by the A483 road which is the main road to Chester. The civil parish was abolished in 2015 and became part of Dodleston and Eaton and Eccleston.National Cycle Route 4
National Cycle Route 4 (or NCR 4) is a route of the National Cycle Network, running from London to Fishguard. Between London and Fishguard, the route runs through Reading, Bath, Bristol, Newport, Swansea, Llanelli and St David's. Within Wales, NCR 4 forms one of the branches of the Celtic Trail cycle route.Penarth (Newtown and Llanllwchaiarn)
Penarth is a timber-framed house set back from the A483 road near to Newtown and close to the banks of the river Severn. It is within the parish of Llanllwchaiarn, within the historic county of Montgomeryshire, which now forms part of Powys. It is amongst the best examples of the ‘‘Severn Valley’’ timber-framed houses. The Penarth vinyard stands within the grounds of the house.Rhostyllen
Rhostyllen (Welsh pronunciation) is a village in Wrexham county borough in Wales, south-west of the town of Wrexham. At the time of the 2001 census, area Wrexham 014A, which includes Rhostyllen itself, had a population of 1,383 in 599 households. Its name may be derived from the Welsh words rhos ("moor", or "rush pasture") and estyll ("staves" or "planks").
Rhostyllen was a part of the old township of Esclusham Below (i.e. "below" Offa's Dyke) and in 1879 was incorporated into the new ecclesiastical parish of Esclusham. The parish church, Holy Trinity, was completed in 1877. The corresponding civil parish of Esclusham became the community of Esclusham in 1974.
Rhostyllen is a former mining village, with Bersham (or Glanyrafon) Colliery, which before closure in December 1986 was the last working coal mine in the Denbighshire coalfield, situated to the east of Wrexham Road. Like other villages in the area, many of its buildings are nineteenth-century miners' houses built in the distinctive local "Ruabon Red" brick. This character is under threat as the village becomes increasingly linked to the outskirts of Wrexham by infill and commercial development along the A483 road.The focal point of the village is the village hall, built in 1924, and its recreation grounds. Rhostyllen's railway station was closed to passengers as long ago as 1931; the village was also formerly served by the line of the Wrexham and District Electric Tramways Company, opened in 1903, which ran from Penybryn in Wrexham to Johnstown and Rhosllannerchrugog: the halfway passing loop was situated at the Black Lion in Rhostyllen. Rhostyllen is served by the A483 trunk road.
The eighteenth-century house and parkland at Erddig, now owned by the National Trust, is nearby.Rossett
Rossett (Welsh: yr Orsedd, yr Orsedd Goch) is a village and a local government community, the lowest tier of local government, part of Wrexham County Borough in Wales. Rossett is served by the A483 road.
At the time of the 2001 Census, Rossett community (including Rossett itself and the villages of Burton, Burton Green and Lavister) had a total population of 3,336 people, the population falling to 3,231 at the 2011 Census.Swansea District line
The Swansea District line is a section of railway line running through the northern part of Swansea, and is primarily used for freight transportation, although minimal passenger services also traverse the route. It was built by the Great Western Railway in 1912 to provide a faster and less steeply graded route between London and Fishguard, in connection with the recently opened harbour at the latter place. It can thereby claim to be the very last mainline railway to have been built in Wales. The double track line runs from Cwrt Sart junction at Briton Ferry on the South Wales Main Line to Morlais junction near Pontarddulais on the Heart of Wales line.
A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme
|Managed by the|
North and Mid Wales
Trunk Road Agent
|Managed by the|
Trunk Road Agent
|Related topics and|
Roads in Wales Commons:Roads in Wales Roads Portal Wales Portal
Transport in Carmarthenshire
Transport in Neath Port Talbot county borough
Transport in Powys
Transport in Swansea