|Maintained by English local authorities and North & Mid Wales Trunk Road Agency|
The original (1923) route of the A44 was Chipping Norton to Aberystwyth. No changes were made to the route of the A44 in the early years. After the Second World War, the section between Rhayader and Llangurig was renumbered A470, as part of the creation of a through route between South and North Wales. The A44 was extended to Oxford in the 1990s, replacing part of the A34 when the M40 motorway was completed.
The road begins at a roundabout junction with the A40 road on the northern outskirts of Oxford in Oxfordshire. It has a grade separated junction with the A34 road (leading to the M40 motorway and Winchester). From here, the road runs northwest, and has a 2-mile (3.2 km) section of dual-carriageway through the villages of Yarnton and Begbroke before reaching the town of Woodstock, home to Blenheim Palace. The road then reaches the main market street in Chipping Norton before entering the Cotswolds. The road here has many hills and turns, and is single-carriageway with some tight bends, with not much opportunity for overtaking.
The road then enters Gloucestershire, and the town of Moreton in Marsh, before sweeping up through woodland until it reaches Fish Hill near Broadway in Worcestershire. At this point, it becomes 3-lane and descends steeply through some sharp bends. It then bypasses Broadway before meeting up with the A46/A435 Evesham bypass.
On reaching the northern end of the Evesham bypass the A44 heads northwest, passing Wyre Piddle and the town of Pershore before reaching the crossroads near Spetchley. The road then crosses the M5 motorway and onto Worcester's eastern bypass (A4440). It then turns south along the bypass before rejoining its original line west into the city itself. The road passes the Cathedral, crosses the River Severn and then meets the western end of the bypass.
After leaving Worcester, the A44 continues west past the village of Broadwas, following the River Teme until Knightwick where enters Herefordshire as it climbs over Bringsty Common before descending towards Bromyard. The A44 bypasses Bromyard town centre and heads west over the downs to Bredenbury. It then crosses the River Lugg before meeting the A49 Leominster bypass, where it turns left and heads through the town centre.
After leaving Leominster, the A44 crosses the River Arrow to bypass Monkland. The road then heads towards the black and white villages of Eardisland and Pembridge. After Pembridge the A44 meanders west, passing numerous orchards en route, before reaching Lyonshall, where the road meets the A480 and passes Offa's Dyke. A couple of miles later and the A44 meets Kington. The road bypasses the town and follows the River Arrow before reaching the Welsh border.
Leaving Herefordshire and entering Powys, the road continues through Walton and passes the village of New Radnor, before turning south to Llanfihangel Nant Melan. The road then turns northwest to do some serious hill-climbing before winding its way downhill to a plateau. A few miles later it reaches Penybont and Crossgates, where it meets the A483 road. Eight miles further the A44 reaches Rhayader.
On reaching the centre of Rhayader, traffic heads to the left of the clock tower before immediately turning right, where the road passes through the town and joins the A470 for 9 miles to Llangurig, following the course of the River Wye. From then on it is officially known as the Llangurig to Aberystwyth Trunk Road. Leaving Llangurig, the road starts clinging to hillsides as it winds its way through the Cambrian Mountains. A few miles later, the River Wye crosses under the road and up the hill to the north.
The road enters Ceredigion where the next hamlet is Eisteddfa Gurig, which at 1339 feet (408 metres) above sea level is the highest point en route and the location of the iconic Elvis Rock. The A44 then descends into the remote settlement of Ponterwyd. The road passes several abandoned mines en route to the villages of Goginan and Capel Bangor, where it meets the River Rheidol. The road then passes the village of Llanbadarn Fawr, continuing for its last mile through the outskirts of Aberystwyth before terminating on the A487 at Penglais Hill.
Media related to A44 road (Great Britain) at Wikimedia CommonsA4260 road
The A4260 is a road that leads from the A422 Henneff Way, Banbury to Frieze Way near Oxford. It is single carriageway for a majority of the route, except for a section near Steeple Aston for 0.9 miles (1.4 km) and on Frieze Way where the A4260 meets the A34 at Peartree Interchange, Oxford, where it becomes a dual carriageway. The road passes through Bodicote, Adderbury, Deddington and Kidlington, Oxfordshire. The road terminates at the A44 road roundabout at Frieze Way which is just north of Oxford. Until 1990 it was part of the A423 and the major route from Banbury to Oxford. It was renumbered to encourage the traffic that formerly used this route to use the M40.A44
A44 may refer to :
A44 road (Great Britain), a road connecting Oxford, England and Aberystwyth, Wales
A44 motorway (Germany), a road connecting Aachen at the German-Belgian border and Kassel
A44 motorway (Netherlands), a motorway in the Netherlands
A44 motorway (Spain), a road connecting Bailén and until Ízbor
A portion of the Great Western Highway in Sydney, Australia
Benoni Defense, Encyclopaedia of Chess Openings codeA481 road
The A481 is a road in Powys, Wales, which connects with the A483 road, not far from the A470 road at Llanelwedd, Builth Wells and leads to the A44 road near Llanfihangel Nant Melan. It is the main road leading to the A44 which connects Builth to Leominster and Hereford across the border with England.B4518 road
The B4518 road is a road in Powys, central Wales, with a total length of 30.5 miles (49.1 km). It begins at 52°18′5″N 3°30′41″W in Rhayader near the junction of the A470 road and the A44 road and leads eventually to the A470 again at Llanbrynmair at
52°36′42″N 3°37′38″W. En route going north from Rhayader it passes through the following settlements: St Harmon, Pant-y-Dwr, Tylwch, Llanidloes (where it crosses the A470 again), Staylittle, Pont Crugnant, Pennant, Bont Dolgadfan, Llan and Plas Esgair. It passes through the Clywedog Valley and Clywedog Reservoir, built in 1964.Blaenrheidol
Blaenrheidol is a community in the county of Ceredigion, North Wales. It lies in the Cambrian Mountains of Mid Wales, approximately 12 miles (19 km) east of Aberystwyth on the A44 road.
It includes the settlements of Ponterwyd, Ystumtuen and Llywernog.Bredenbury
Bredenbury is a village and civil parish in Herefordshire, England. It is located 12.5 miles (20 km) northeast of Hereford. The village lies on the A44 road, 3 miles (5 km) from Bromyard and 8 miles (13 km) from Leominster.The parish had a population of 185 in the 2001 UK Census, reducing to 169 at the 2011 census, and is grouped with Grendon Bishop and Wacton to form Bredenbury & District Group Parish Council for administrative purposes.The parish church, dedicated to St Andrew, is in the syle of 1300 but was built in the 1870s from a design by T H Wyatt. Land for the church was donated by William Barneby, of nearby Bredenbury Court. The Barneby family commissioned many of the interior furnishings for the new church. Wyatt also designed the first phase of Bredenbury Court in the Italianate style. An extension in 1902 was designed by Sir Guy Dawber.Bredenbury Primary School is much smaller than average but was rated as outstanding by Ofsted in 2008.Broadwas
Broadwas or Broadwas-on-Teme, is a village and civil parish (with Cotheridge) in the Malvern Hills district of Worcestershire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 307. The village is located on the River Teme, about 6 miles west of Worcester on the A44 road.
Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 Broadwas Parish ceased to be responsible for maintaining the poor in its parish. This responsibility was transferred to Martley Poor Law Union.Off the main road near the River Teme is the red sandstone church of St Mary Magdelene.Broadwas also has a Primary school with around 90 pupils attending. The school experienced sporting success with their football team reaching the midlands finals of the national small schools competition in 2013/2014Buckinghamshire Junction Railway
The Buckinghamshire Junction Railway, often known as the Yarnton Loop, was a standard gauge railway between Buckingham Junction on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway (OW&WR) and Oxford Road Junction on the Buckinghamshire Railway. It was opened on 1 April 1854 to enable OW&W trains to and from Wolverhampton to connect with London and North Western Railway trains to and from London Euston.Burton Court, Eardisland
Burton Court is a Grade II* listed English country manor house in the Parish of Eardisland, southwest of Leominster, Herefordshire, England. The manor dates to at least the 11th century and the current house to the early 14th and 18th century. It lies along the A44 road, about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Eardisland in the northern part of the hamlet of Lower Burton. It is now run as a Herefordshire wedding and private hire venue. Burton Court featured in Simon Jenkins's book England's Thousand Best Houses.Cefn Croes Wind Farm
Cefn Croes is a wind farm in Ceredigion, Wales. It is located in the Cambrian Mountains on Cefn Croes mountain, 573m (1,880 ft) south of the A44 road between Aberystwyth and Llangurig, in west Wales. The construction of the wind farm commenced in February 2004, and was completed in the spring of 2005 when the 39 wind turbines started producing electricity. The maximum installed nameplate capacity is 58.5 MW.Nearby is the HuMP Y Glog (Draws Drum).Dolyhir
Dolyhir is a small settlement in Powys, Wales. It is near the A44 road and is 30 kilometres (19 mi) northwest of the city of Hereford.Elvis Rock
The Elvis Rock is a rock alongside the A44 in Powys, Wales, near its border with Ceredigion. It is one of the most well known pieces of graffiti in Wales, with the word "ELVIS" written on it. The rock is located beside the main trunk road through the country, and appears out of context with the surrounding landscape.Islwyn Ffowc Elis
Islwyn Ffowc Elis (Welsh pronunciation: [ˈɪslʊɨn foʊk ˈɛlɪs]; 17 November 1924 – 22 January 2004) was one of Wales's most popular Welsh-language writers.
Born Islwyn Ffoulkes Ellis in Wrexham and raised in Glyn Ceiriog, Elis was educated at the University of Wales colleges of Bangor and Aberystwyth. During World War II he was a conscientious objector and he began writing poetry and prose, winning the prose medal at the 1951 National Eisteddfod. He became a Presbyterian minister in 1950, and his first pastorate was at Moreia Chapel in Llanfair Caereinion. He translated the Gospel of Matthew into Welsh as Efengyl Mathew - trosiad i gymraeg diweddar, which was published in Caernarfon in 1961.
He made his debut as a novelist in 1953 with Cysgod y Cryman (translated into English as Shadow of the Sickle), which would, in 1999, be chosen as the most significant Welsh language book of the 20th century.
As a novelist Elis showed a great willingness to try out different forms, including popular ones. Cysgod y Cryman was followed by a study of intellectual decadence, Ffenestri tua'r Gwyll (Windows to the Dusk 1955). Yn ôl i Leifior (1956; translated into English as Return to Lleifior) was a sequel to Cysgod y Cryman both set at the fictitious farming location Lleifior. In 1957, the Welsh nationalist party Plaid Cymru published his time-travel story Wythnos yng Nghymru Fydd (A Week in Future Wales), presenting an independent, utopian Wales and a dystopian "Western England" in alternative versions of 2033. Blas y Cynfyd (A Taste of Prehistory 1958) was followed by the colonial satire Tabyrddau'r Babongo (Drums of the Babongo 1961). He thus pioneered the use of genres unfamiliar to Welsh-speaking readers, provided them with a highly readable prose often set in contemporary settings, and did much to establish the position of the novel as a major genre in Welsh-language literature. For periods he set out to live off his writing, something hardly attempted before in modern Welsh.
Later works included Y Blaned Dirion (The Meek Planet 1968, another science fiction novel), Y Gromlech yn yr Haidd (The Dolmen in the Barley, 1971) and Eira Mawr (Great Snow, 1972). He also wrote a play, pamphlets, hundreds of articles and short stories as well as editing, with Gwyn Jones, Welsh Short Stories for the Oxford University Press (1956). His work has appeared in English, German, Italian and Irish translation. He was lecturer and reader at the University of Wales, Lampeter between 1975 and 1988.
From his schooldays to the mid-1970s, Elis devoted a vast amount of time to politics. He ran as Plaid Cymru's candidate in Montgomeryshire in the 1959 and 1964 general elections and in a 1962 byelection. The so-called "Elvis Rock" graffito beside the A44 road in Ceredigion was originally written with the word "Elis" by two of his supporters in the 1962 by-election, and subsequently altered to read "Elvis".In retirement, he received a DLitt from the University of Wales. In 1999 a biography of Elis by T Robin Chapman, published in both Welsh and in English, appeared.Kiddington
Kiddington is a village on the River Glyme in the civil parish of Kiddington with Asterleigh about 7 miles (11 km) southeast of Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. The village is just north of the A44 road between Woodstock and Chipping Norton.Pembridge
Pembridge is a village and civil parish in Arrow valley in Herefordshire, England. The village is on the A44 road about 6 miles (10 km) east of Kington and 6 1⁄2 miles (10.5 km) west of Leominster. The civil parish includes the hamlets of Bearwood, Lower Bearwood, Lower Broxwood, Marston, Moorcot and Weston. The 2011 Census recorded the parish population as 1,056.Pembridge is the major part of the electoral ward of Pembridge and Lyonshall with Titley. The 2011 Census recorded the ward's population as 3,124.Ponterwyd
Ponterwyd is a village in Ceredigion, Wales. It lies in the Cambrian Mountains of Mid Wales, approximately 12 miles (19 km) east of Aberystwyth on the A44 road.Spetchley
Spetchley is a hamlet and civil parish in the County of Worcester, England. It lies within the district of Wychavon, half a mile from the City of Worcester along the A44 road. The hamlet contains Spetchley Park, a country mansion with extensive gardens.Wickhamford
Wickhamford is a village and a civil parish in Worcestershire, England. It is situated on the A44 road approximately halfway between the towns of Evesham and Broadway. It is mentioned in 1086 in the Domesday Book under the name of Wiquene when it was owned by Evesham Abbey.Y Glog (Draws Drum)
Y Glog or Draws Drum is a mountain in Ceredigion, Wales. It is 574 metres (1883 feet) above sea level and is located a few miles south of Pumlumon, north of Pen y Garn and just south of the A44 road. It is a HuMP. It is located in an area of bleak moorland with a windfarm nearby and the small lakes Llynoedd Ieuan. It has recently replaced Cefn Croes as the HuMP.
A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme
|Managed by the|
North and Mid Wales
Trunk Road Agent
|Managed by the|
Trunk Road Agent
|Related topics and|
Roads in Wales Commons:Roads in Wales Roads Portal Wales Portal
Transport in Powys
Transport in Worcestershire