The A442 passing through Telford as Queensway.
|Length||56.2 mi (90.4 km)|
From Droitwich in Worcestershire it runs towards Kidderminster where it meets the A449 from Worcester. This section of road used to be the B4192 until the late 1970s when it was upgraded to A road status.
At Kidderminster, it starts again and then runs north-north-west into Shropshire, via Bridgnorth and Telford (where it crosses the M54 motorway). Through Telford it is known as Queensway, and the Eastern Primary (EP). It ends where it meets the A53 just outside the village of Hodnet. Before the A53 bypass around the village was built, the A442 continued through Hodnet and joined the A41 near Darliston, south of Whitchurch. This section of road however has now been downgraded: most of it is declassified, but part has been reclassified as part of B5065. However Googlemaps.com is currently still mistakenly listing the now declassified route as still being the A442.
From Droitwich to Low Hill (south of Kidderminster) the road is probably ancient, as it is referred to in the Saxon charter for Whitlinge (in Hartlebury) dated AD 980 as a stræte. This road was maintained by a Droitwich turnpike trust established in 1755.
North of Kidderminster it was a 'way' in the Saxon bounds of Wolverley before being joined by the great street at Shatterford. At Shatterford, the Prior of Worcester was authorised to assart (ie to clear) 100 acres (0.40 km2) of wood and heath "for the greater security of persons going through the said pass". From Shatterford the old course of the road goes through Romsley and Allum Bridge, to rejoin the present road at Quatt. The old survives as lane and tracks. The present road began life as a new turnpike built in the late 1820s by the Kidderminster turnpike trust, which had been responsible for the road as far as Quatford since 1760. Bridgnorth only became the northern end of the road in 1821. The trust remained responsible for the road until 1873.
North of Bridgnorth, the road formed part of the Stafford and Newport turnpikes. The Trust was established in 1763, becoming their third district, when their Act was renewed in 1783. Beyond Sutton Cross in Sutton Maddock the turnpike continued through Shifnal to Woodcote, where it joined another turnpike (now the A41 road). This continuation is now classified as the B4379 and the A4169 road.
The stretch immediately beyond Sutton Cross was part of the Madeley turnpike district, going to the Bucks Head on Watling Street. This was turnpiked in 1764, continuing southeast to the New Inn on Rudge Heath, but that stretch of road was evidently not improved until the 1960s, when it was upgraded to become the B4176. The northern terminus was altered in 1827 when the road from Balls Hill in Dawley to Bucks Head was discontinued in favour of an alternative route to Watling Street. The course of the road was altered again when a new major road was built to take traffic through the built up area of Telford New Town in the 1970s. Some of the old routes have completely disappeared.
The next section of the old route is from Watling Street to the smithy at Crudgington. The first part of this is now the A5223 road, but the new course of A442 then rejoins the old one. This was turnpiked in 1725 with the Shrewsbury to Crackley Bank section of Watling Street.
Further sections of the road are also former turnpikes.
A442 may refer to:
A442 road (England)
Renault Alpine A442, a type of carA53 road
The A53 is a primary route in the English Midlands, that runs from Buxton in Derbyshire to Shrewsbury in Shropshire.A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain numbering scheme
List of A roads in zone 4 in Great Britain starting north of the A4 and south/west of the A5 (roads beginning with 4).Bridgnorth
Bridgnorth is a town in Shropshire, England. The River Severn splits it into a High Town and Low Town, the upper town on the right bank and the lower on the left bank of the River Severn. The population at the 2011 Census was 12,079.Crudgington
Crudgington is a village in the borough of Telford and Wrekin and ceremonial county of Shropshire, England. It is situated in the civil parish of Waters Upton, a village to the north, and is 7 miles north-west of Telford. Nearby is the confluence of the rivers Tern and Strine; the village lies at an elevation of 55 metres (180 ft).Danesford
Danesford is a small settlement in Shropshire, England. It is on the A442 road and is to the southeast of the town of Bridgnorth. The population as of the 2011 census is listed under the town of BridgnorthDudmaston Hall
Dudmaston Hall is a 17th-century country house in the care of the National Trust in the Severn Valley, Shropshire, England.
Dudmaston Hall is located near the village of Quatt, a few miles south of the market town of Bridgnorth, just off the A442 road.Eardington
Eardington is a small village and civil parish in Shropshire, England. It is near the A442 road and is two kilometres south of the town of Bridgnorth, along the B4555 road. The population taken at the 2011 Census is shown under Bridgnorth. The Severn Valley Railway runs immediately to the east of the village and there was once a stop on the line, situated about half a mile to the south, between Upper and Lower Forge, called Eardington Halt.
The half-mile Eardington Forge canal connected the forges to the River Severn. This was opened in 1782 and closed in 1889 when the forges stopped working.Peplow
Peplow is a hamlet in Shropshire, England. It is part of the civil parish of Hodnet, a larger village to the north. The hamlets of Bowling Green and Radmoor are both in the village's vicinity.
It lies in a rural area on the A442 road, between Crudgington and Hodnet, with Ollerton immediately to the east.
At the time of the Domesday survey, the manor of Peplow was held by Ralph de Mortimer. The land later became part of the Hodnet estate, and was held by the Ludlow and Vernon families, until 1715 when it was sold to the Pigot family, who built Peplow Hall. The hamlet is best known for Peplow Hall, an 18th-century manor house, and Peplow Mill. The mill contains an early water turbine dating from 1820 and spans the River Tern. The current owner of Peplow Hall is Russel Waters.
RAF Peplow Airfield, used during World War II, saw many military persons pass through the hamlet to get to the airfield, located between Eaton on Tern and Childs Ercall, across the river. The airfield was named accordingly as access on the train required dismounting at Peplow station and walking the remainder of the journey.
There is a cricket club called Hodnet and Peplow CC, and the club's badge is that of a gold lion (from the gates of Hodnet Hall), lying beneath a green beech tree (representing the beech trees lining the driveway of Peplow Hall). Its first eleven play in the Rollinson Smith Shropshire Cricket League Division 3.Shatterford Hill
Shatterford Hill is an English geographical feature that extends from Bewdley in north Worcestershire to Birdsgreen near Alveley, just over the border in Shropshire. The hill is a long ridge running up the east side of the Severn Valley and peaks at 202 metres near the village of Shatterford on the A442 road between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth.
The ridge offers unhindered views across the Severn Valley out west to the Clee Hills, Caer Caradoc, the Long Mynd and on clear days to the hills of Wales. To the east is Kidderminster and the Clent Hills, and the urban West Midlands areas of Dudley beyond. To the north the Wrekin dominates the horizon near Telford, whilst to the south are the Malvern Hills. Although the triangulation pillar that officially marks the summit of the hill is in a field with no public access, next to a small mast, a viewpoint is provided on the Shatterford-Trimpley road with a small layby opposite.
Villages along the hill include (south to north), Trimpley, Shatterford and Romsley. The road following the crown of the ridge was probably the Micclan strete (great made-road), mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon bounds of Wolverley. This may have been part of an ancient road from Gloucester and Worcester to Chester. From Shatterford through Romsley and Quatt, thus became part of the Kidderminster to Bridgnorth turnpike, until an easier road (now A442) was built in the 1830s.The ridge comes to a fairly abrupt end to the south, capped by Wassell Wood, where earthworks can still be seen from fortified enclosure of unknown date. The name "Wassell" is derived from the Anglo-Saxon "Weardsetl" meaning a watchplace. This was the westernmost of a chain of such watchplaces, also including Wassell Grove (near Wychbury Hill), Waseley Hills and Wast Hills in Alvechurch.Below Wassell Wood to the east is Habberley Valley, a local nature reserve of lowland heathland, which is a popular picnic site locally.
A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme
Transport in Worcestershire