The A431 is an A road running from Bristol to Bath in England. It runs parallel to, and about 3 miles (4.8 km) to the north of, the A4, the principal route between Bristol and Bath on the south side of the River Avon.
The A431 begins at a junction with the A420 road to Chippenham at St George, about 1 mile (1.6 km) east of central Bristol. From there it runs through Hanham, Longwell Green, Bitton and Kelston. It passes around the edge of Kelston Round Hill, and past the estate of Sir John Hawkins to Newbridge, Bath, where it joins the A4 which continues to central Bath. Some of the road runs on the alignment of a Roman road between Bristol and Bath.
What is now the A431 was the upper turnpike between Bristol and Bath, north of the River Avon (the lower turnpike, south of the Avon, being the A4). Both roads were turnpiked by the Bath Trust in 1707. The Bristol Trust attempted to turnpike the western half of the upper road, but faced opposition from colliers at Kingswood, and it was not fully completed until the 1740s. By the 19th century, the Upper Bristol Road to Kelston was described as a "pleasing and nearly level ride".
When roads were first numbered in 1923, the A431 formed the full extent of the upper Bristol – Bath turnpike as far as the old Post Office at the corner of George Street and Milsom Street. In 1935, the Ministry of Transport rerouted the A4 along this route towards Bristol and Avonmouth, curtailing the A431 to its current eastern point at Newbridge.
In February 2014 the road was closed near Kelston Park due to a landslip. The closure lasted until 17 November 2014 as the ground continued to move. Local resident Mike Watts created a private toll road over agricultural land to bypass the closed section, which opened in August 2014.
A431 may refer to:
A431 road (England), a road between Bath and Bristol
A431 cells, an experimental cell line used in biomedical researchA roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain numbering scheme
List of A roads in zone 4 in Great Britain starting north of the A4 and south/west of the A5 (roads beginning with 4).Bitton
Bitton is a village and civil parish in South Gloucestershire, England, in the east of the Greater Bristol area on the River Boyd.
It is in the far south of the South Gloucestershire district, near the border with Bath and North East Somerset. The parish of Bitton has a population of 9,307, and apart from the village itself, includes Swineford, Upton Cheyney, Beach, Oldland Common, North Common and part of Willsbridge.Kelston
Kelston is a small village and civil parish in Somerset, 4 miles (6.4 km) north west of Bath, and 8 miles (12.9 km) east of Bristol, on the A431 road. It is situated just north of the River Avon, close to the Kelston and Saltford locks. The parish has a population of 248.Kelston toll road
The Kelston toll road was a 1,198-foot-long (365 m) private, temporary toll road, built by a private entrepreneur without planning permission between Bath and Kelston, 9.5 miles (15.3 km) southeast of Bristol in Bath and North East Somerset, England. It opened on 1 August and closed on 17 November 2014, when the A431 road reopened.Newbridge, Bath
Newbridge is a largely residential electoral ward on the western edge of Bath, England.Siston Brook
Siston Brook rises in two separate streams which issue from a ridge just north of the village of Siston, South Gloucestershire, England. The brook is approximately 6 miles (9.7 km) long and is a tributary of the Bristol Avon. Much of its course is through the eastern suburbs of Bristol, although it remains outside the city boundaries. Tributaries include the Warmley Brook and an unnamed tributary from Bridgeyate.
The stream has provided power for watermills and battery mills in the past and some mill buildings still survive. Wildlife is supported by nature reserves through which the Siston Brook runs. Flooding has caused problems in the past, but modern measures to alleviate this include an attenuation reservoir and proposals to reinstate historic weirs and sluices. The name Siston is believed to derive from Anglo-Saxon, meaning Sige's Farmstead.Swineford
Swineford is a hamlet in the South Gloucestershire council area, very close to the boundary with Bath and North East Somerset. It is located around 1 km south-east of Bitton, and lies on the River Avon, on which the Swineford Lock is sited. The A431 road runs through the village.
The name is cognate with that of the German town of Schweinfurt.
A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme
Transport in Gloucestershire
|Airports and Heliports|