The A429 is a main road in England that runs in a north-northeasterly direction from junction 17 of the M4 motorway (4 miles (6.4 km) north of Chippenham in Wiltshire) to Coventry in the West Midlands.
The A429 near Northleach, Gloucestershire
|Length||66.6 mi (107.2 km)|
| M4 |
For much of its length, the A429 follows the route of the Roman Fosse Way. It links the M4 in Wiltshire to Coventry in the West Midlands, by way of Malmesbury (bypassed), Crudwell, Cirencester, Stow-on-the-Wold, Moreton-in-Marsh, east of Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick, and Kenilworth.
When first designated in 1922. the A429 ran from Chippenham to Warwick. In the 1970s the route was extended from Warwick to Coventry on the old route of the A46. In the 1990s the dual carriageway between Chippenham and the M4 motorway became part of the extended A350.
Heading northeast, the road meets the Fosse Way near the southwestern outskirts of Cirencester. Until circa 1937 this junction was some 2.6 miles (4.2 km) further south, near Jackaments Bottom; when RAF Kemble (now Cotswold Airport) was built, the A429 was diverted south of the airfield to follow an upgraded existing road through Kemble village, and the section of the A429 north of the airfield became a continuation of the A433.
The road breaks at the A46 junction north of Warwick and resumes some 3 miles (4.8 km) further north at a junction with the A452, in the north of Kenilworth. The section between Warwick and Kenilworth was declassified shortly after the opening of the A46 Kenilworth Bypass to encourage traffic to use the A452 or A46 instead.
Corston is a small village on the A429 road in Wiltshire, England, approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) south of the town of Malmesbury, Wiltshire. The Gauze Brook, a tributary of the Bristol Avon passes through the village.
It is in the civil parish of St Paul Malmesbury Without.
The Church of England church in Corston is dedicated to All Saints and is Grade II* listed.Darlingscott
Darlingscott is a small settlement in Warwickshire, England. It is near the A429 road and is 12 kilometres (7 mi) south of the town of Stratford-upon-Avon. Population details can be found under Tredington.Halford, Warwickshire
Halford is a village and civil parish about 3 miles (5 km) north of Shipston-on-Stour in Warwickshire. The village is where the Fosse Way Roman road (now the A429 road) crosses the River Stour. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 341.By the river are the earthworks and buried remains of Halford Castle, a motte castle believed to be the predecessor of the present manor house.Keith Godwin
Keith Godwin (17 April 1916 – 1991) was an English sculptor.List of crossings of the River Thames
This is a list of crossings of the River Thames comprising over 200 bridges, 27 tunnels, six public ferries, one cable car link, and one ford. Historic achievements, explanatory notes and proposed crossings are also included.Longbridge Interchange
Longbridge Interchange (also known as Longbridge Island) is a major road and motorway junction between Warwick and Sherbourne, Warwickshire, connecting the A46 road and A429 road respectively to the M40 motorway at junction 15. For many years, it was deemed inadequate in handling the volume of traffic, which in 2009 was estimated to be in the region of 75,000 vehicles daily; a bypass was built during 2008-2009 which relieved congestion.Northleach
Northleach is a market town in Northleach with Eastington civil parish in Gloucestershire, England. The town is in the valley of the River Leach in the Cotswolds, about 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Cirencester and 11 miles (18 km) east-southeast of Cheltenham. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 1,854.Stanton St Quintin
Stanton St Quintin is a small village and civil parish in the county of Wiltshire in England. It is about 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Chippenham and 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Malmesbury. The parish includes the hamlets of Lower Stanton St Quintin, 0.6 miles (0.97 km) to the northeast on the A429 road, and Clanville.Thelsford Priory
Thelsford Priory is a site listed by the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England.Thelsford Priory was a small house, originally of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre, located near the banks of the River Avon close to the Warwick to Wellesbourne road. It was colonised from the Priory of the Holy Sepulchre in nearby Warwick.
It was a house of Trinitarian friars and was founded at the beginning of the thirteenth century. It was dedicated to God, St. John the Baptist and St. Radegund. A grant was made between 1200 and 1212 by Henry and Isabel de Beresford which gave the church of nearby Barford mentions canons, indicating the priory may have begun life as a house of the short-lived Order of the Holy Sepulchre.
In 1214 the house was granted 13 acres of land adjacent to the house and further land nearby by Sir William Lucy of Charlecote. He also granted the advowson of Charlecote church and half a virgate of land. He expressed a wish that the house should be used not only as a priory but also as a hospital for the relief of the local poor and for the use of pilgrims.Sir William's grandson Fulk Lucy gave the friars permission to enclose the road which passed between the church and habitation. A later Sir William Lucy gave them a further two acres of land adjacent to the priory precinct. William de Nasford, lord of Barford, granted further lands and the advowson of Barford church. He also granted three virgates of land which became known as the Free Hide which were exempt from secular service. He also granted fishing rights on the A Richard Malore granted lands at Kirkby in Leicestershire together with the advowson of the church there. He also gave them the chapels at Shilton and Packington. A further benefactor was William de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick who granted three parcels of land. Roger de Charlecote gave lands and tenements at Heathcote. These and other smaller gifts enabled the priory to expand the conventual buildings and a larger church to be built.
The new church and churchyard were consecrated by Bishop Giffard on the Feast of the Translation in 1285. In 1312 during the priorship of Simon de Charlecote the house was involved in a scandal which resulted in the prior and brethren being excommunicated. Their crime was the fabrication of letters of Pope Clement. The bishop of Worcester issued a commission to the deans of Hampton and Warwick to publicly absolve the house.
November 1329 saw Edward III, then staying at nearby Kenilworth, confirming a large number of small grants to Prior Thomas de Offyngton and the brethren. A few years later, in 1332, Prior Thomas de Offyngton was granted a licence to acquire lands and rents in mortmain to an annual value of 10 marks. Two years later they gained in a similar fashion protection for three years to collect alms. This was gained by virtue of an indulgence granted by the Pope to the Trinitarian order. May 1337 saw the house having confirmation of a number of small grants in mortmain on the payment of a fine of 1 mark.
A description of the interior of the church at the time of the dissolution survives and makes interesting reading. Dr London wrote to Cromweel in the capital stating that the house was "in much ruin" and that the church was "little and unfinished". At the eastern end of the church was animage known locally as the "Maiden Cutbroghe". This statue had a wooden trough beneath her feet which exended into the altar (which was hollow). The image was said to be effective in the cure of headaches. To quote Dr London (via the Victoria County History) Thither resorted such as had headache or had any 'slottich widow locks, viz., hair grown together in a tuft:" They put a peck of oats into the trough, and when they were once slid under the altar the friars stole them out from behind, and the sick must pay a penny for a pint of these Maiden Cutbroghe oats, and ' then their heads should ache no more till the next time."
From: 'Friaries: Trinitarian friars of Thelsford', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 2 (1908), pp. 106–108. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36510&strquery=thelsford priory Date accessed: 29 August 2014.
Dissolution and After
The religious life of the priory came to an end on 26 October 1538 when Prior Edmund David and three other members of the house signed the surrender document passing ownership of the house to the King. Following its surrender the church was demolished and much of the stone was reused in other structures, mainly at Thelsford Farm and Wasperton Manor. The priory ponds and other low lying areas of the site were backfilled with debris and the area was turned over to grazing.
The site of the priory was excavated in the 1960s and again in 1972. These digs provided much information about the layout of the buildings and other features of the priory. Many of these features still survive underground. The thirteenth century church was cruciform in plan but the original building was a single celled rectangular building which was extended in the early fourteenth century. This buildings foundations still survive below ground. The cloisters and its associated buildings were located on the south side of the church. They were largely of timber construction. The western range was built of timber on stone footings which still survive below ground. The areas to the north and west of the claustral buidongs were bounded by walls and probably served as gardens. Apart from the claustral complex itself several areas of buildings have been found within the precinct, particularly in the western part of the site. These structures probably relate to the hospital and pilgrim structures.
There are no visible remains of this long-forgotten priory. Part of the site lies below the main A429 road a little to the north of Thelsford Farm.
Incomplete list of priors
Robert temp. r. Edward I
Simon de Charlecote 1312
Thomas de Offyngton 1328
Thomas de Charlecote 1353
William de Clarindon temp. r. Richard II
Robert Bowston occurs 1440
Robert Bolton 1473
Roger Lynton 1474
John Brokeden 1492
Robert Brokeden 1513
Edmund Alcester 1535
Edmund David 1538Wasperton
Wasperton is a village and civil parish in the English county of Warwickshire. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 153.It is on the east bank of the Warwickshire Avon and is some 5 miles (8 km) south of the town of Warwick which is easily accessed by the A429 road.
Between 1980 and 1985 extensive excavations in advance of gravel digging revealed a cemetery which contained both Roman and Anglo-Saxon graves.
In all 182 burials and 25 cremations were uncovered. Of these burials, 36 are "Roman", 137 "Anglo-Saxon" while 9 show some aspects of both customs. The presence of these "mixed" burials indicates that there was a transition period when the community began to adopt Anglo-Saxon burial practices.
Further Reading : Wise, P.J. (1991) "Wasperton" in Current Archaeology, no. 126, pp 256-9.Wellesbourne
Wellesbourne is a large village in the civil parish of Wellesbourne and Walton, in the county of Warwickshire, in the West Midlands region of the UK. In the 2001 census the parish, which also includes the village of Walton, had a population of 5,691 (2008 est. 6,400). In 2011 the population was measured at 5,849. The civil parish was renamed from Wellesbourne to Wellesbourne and Walton in 1 April 2014.With the rapid increase in new housing and industrial developments since the 1990s, Wellesbourne is increasingly referred to as a small commuter town servicing its larger neighbours such as Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick, Leamington Spa and Banbury, and a little further afield, the cities of Coventry and Birmingham.
Wellesbourne sits on the A429 road, and is located around seven miles south of Warwick and five miles east of Stratford-upon-Avon. Nearby are the villages of Walton and Kineton.
A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme
Transport in Gloucestershire
|Airports and Heliports|