The A422 is an "A" road for east-west journeys in south central England, connecting the county towns of Bedford and Worcester by way of Milton Keynes, Buckingham, Banbury and Stratford-upon-Avon. For most of its length, it is a narrow single carriageway.
|Length||83 mi (134 km)|
|East end||A428 near Bromham|
|West end||A44 near Broughton Hackett|
Stratford upon Avon
The eastern end of the road is at Bromham on the outskirts of Bedford, where it branches off the A428. Its route then crosses into the Borough of Milton Keynes. It briefly merges with the A509 to bypass Newport Pagnell. Passing over the M1, it crosses through the northern part of Milton Keynes as a dual carriageway, known locally additionally as the H3 Monks Way.
Upon meeting the A5 in Milton Keynes, the A422 multiplexes northbound with it for 3 miles (4.8 km) as far as Old Stratford in Northamptonshire where it regains its identity (and single carriageway status). Resuming its east/west orientation, it bypasses Deanshanger, goes through the centre of Buckingham, around Brackley, on into Oxfordshire just before crossing the M40 at Junction 11 and then into Banbury. From the A422/B4525 roundabout, on the western edge of Middleton Cheney (east of Junction 11), the road is dualled until it meets the A423 and resumes as a single carriageway. From there to Stratford-upon-Avon, it is a minor road crossing into Warwickshire at the Battle of Edgehill site, where it descends steeply down the Sunrising Hill escarpment and then across the Fosse Way.
From the western side of Stratford-upon-Avon, the road multiplexes with the A46 until its junction with the A435 trunk road at Oversley on the outskirts of the historic market town of Alcester. At that roundabout junction, the A422 heads briefly north to cross the River Arrow before heading west into the village of Arrow. In the village the road takes a right hand turn at the old Toll House, heading for the border with Worcestershire and passing through the village of Inkberrow, said to be the village that was the inspiration for Ambridge, the centre of the world for fans of the long-running BBC radio series The Archers, which began in 1951.
The road is 83 miles (134 km) long.
Alkerton is a village about 5 miles (8 km) west of Banbury in Oxfordshire, on the county boundary with Warwickshire.Broughton Hackett
Broughton Hackett is a village and civil parish in the Wychavon district of the county of Worcestershire, England. It is about 5 miles east of the city of Worcester, on the A422 (Worcester–Stratford road) and according to the 2001 census had a population of 173.
The village lies on the A422 road from Worcester to Alcester and alongside the Bow Brook river.Buckingham Arm
The Buckingham Arm is a canal that once ran from Cosgrove, Northamptonshire to Buckingham (in England). It was built as an arm of the Grand Junction Canal, in two separate phases, opening in 1800 and 1801. It was disused from 1932, but was not finally abandoned until 1964. It is now the subject of a restoration programme with the Buckingham end holding water for a length of nearly 400m.Caldecote, Buckinghamshire
Caldecote is a tiny hamlet in the parish of Newport Pagnell in the Borough of Milton Keynes and ceremonial county of Buckinghamshire, England. It is in the civil parish of Moulsoe.Drayton, Cherwell
Drayton is a village and civil parish in the valley of the Sor Brook in Oxfordshire, about 2 miles (3 km) northwest of Banbury. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 242.Farthinghoe
Farthinghoe is a village and civil parish in South Northamptonshire, England. It is located on the A422 road about 3 miles (4.8 km) north-west of Brackley and 5 miles (8.0 km) south-east of Banbury.
At the time of the 2001 census, the parish's population was 418 people, reducing slightly to 413 at the 2011 census.Hardmead
Hardmead is a small village and civil parish in the Borough of Milton Keynes and ceremonial county of Buckinghamshire, England. It is in the north of the Borough, about seven miles west of Bedford, five miles north east of Newport Pagnell. The village is close to the A422 road, on a very small road linking that to nearby Newton Blossomville. It is in the civil parish of Astwood.
The village name is Old English in origin, and means 'Heoruwulf's meadow'. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was called Herulfmede. The village is very small with a population of around 100 people. The nearest pub is located one mile away in Astwood and the nearest shop is about four miles distant.
The former church of St Mary's Hardmead is Grade I listed and dates from the 13th century. It has been redundant since the 1980s and is now in the care of the charity Friends of Friendless Churches. There are monuments in the church to the Catesby family and to the explorer Robert Shedden.Hinton-in-the-Hedges Airfield
Hinton-in-the-Hedges Airfield is an airfield on the west side of Hinton-in-the-Hedges near Brackley, Northamptonshire, England. The airfield is made up of several runways, one of which is tarmac. It consists of several well-drained short-mown grass runways which are oriented: 06/24, 09/27 and 15/33. The field is flat and plays home to many activities, from power flying to glider flying. The skydiving centre is open 6 days a week (closed Mondays) and skydiving takes place weather permitting.
During the British Grand Prix at nearby Silverstone, it is used as a park and ride.Middleton Cheney
Middleton Cheney is a village and civil parish in South Northamptonshire, England. The village is about 3 miles (5 km) east of Banbury in Oxfordshire and about 6 miles (10 km) west-northwest of Brackley. The A422 road between Banbury and Brackley used to pass through Middleton Cheney, but now bypasses it to the south.
The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population (including Thenford) as 3,597.Oxfordshire Ironstone Railway
The Oxfordshire Ironstone Railway was a standard-gauge mineral railway that served an ironstone quarry near the village of Wroxton in Oxfordshire.Oxhill, Warwickshire
Oxhill is a village in South Warwickshire, England, off the A422 road between Stratford-upon-Avon and Banbury. The population taken at the 2011 census was 305. It lies in the administrative district of Stratford-on-Avon in the area known as the Vale of the Red Horse. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as "Octeselve" and has a 12th-century church dedicated to Saint Lawrence.
The indentions in the chancel window mullions are believed by many to be the marks made by local archers sharpening their arrowheads. Because of the holiness and sacredness of the church, the blessed arrows were also presumed to have divine accuracy.In the graveyard of St Lawrence there is what is believed to be the only slave's grave in Warwickshire, that of a negro slave called Myrtilla.Transport in Buckinghamshire
Transport in Buckinghamshire has been shaped by its position within the United Kingdom. Most routes between the UK's two largest cities, London and Birmingham, pass through this county. The county's growing industry (such as in Slough) first brought canals to the area, then railways and then motorways.
Much of Buckinghamshire's transport network can be traced to two ancient roads, the Roman Akeman Street and the Celtic Watling Street. The A41 and A5 roughly follow their paths. In 1838, Buckinghamshire became one of the first counties in England to gain railways, with sections of both the West Coast Main Line and Great Western Main Line opening. These were later followed by other main lines and numerous rural branch lines, many of which closed in the 1930s. The Beeching cuts of the 1960s also closed the Great Central Main Line north of Aylesbury in 1966. The county was also one of the few counties to gain a motorway in the 1950s when the M1 motorway opened its entire section through Buckinghamshire in 1959. Air travel is the only major mode of transport not to have a presence in Buckinghamshire- although Heathrow Airport in Greater London is less than a mile from the southern border of the two counties.Upton Snodsbury
Upton Snodsbury is a village in Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom, located five miles east of Worcester just off the A422 road. It is surrounded by low hills and farmland.Wicken, Northamptonshire
Wicken is a village and civil parish in the English county of Northamptonshire. It is about one mile north of the A422 road between Milton Keynes and Buckingham and forms part of South Northamptonshire district. At the time of the 2001 census, the parish's population was 299 people, reducing slightly to 295 at the 2011 Census.Wroxton Abbey
Wroxton Abbey is a Jacobean house in Oxfordshire, with a 1727 garden partly converted to the serpentine style between 1731 and 1751. It is 2.5 miles (4 km) west of Banbury, off the A422 road in Wroxton. It is now the English campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey.
Wroxton Abbey is a modernised, 17th-century Jacobean manor house built on the foundations of a 13th-century Augustinian priory. The abbey boasts a great hall, minstrels' gallery, chapel, multi-room library, and royal bedrooms. In addition, there are 45 bedrooms (each with private bath), seminar rooms, offices, basement recreation rooms, and a reception area.
Wroxton Abbey, named for its 12th-century origins as a monastery that was destroyed after Henry VIII's 1536 Dissolution of the Monasteries. Remnants of that structure remain in the cellarage, though the building literally rose from the ruins when rebuilt by William Pope in the early 17th century, and added to for several centuries after that as the property passed from the Popes to the Norths in 1677.
The various Lords North and their families, including Frederick, Lord North and their royal, literary, and Presidential visitors — James I in 1605, Charles I on 13 July 1643, George IV in 1805, 06 and 08, William IV, Theodore Roosevelt in 1887 where he slept in William IV the Duke of Clarence's bed, Horace Walpole, Henry James, Frederick, Prince of Wales as well as the structure itself, led to the Abbey's designation as a Grade One Listed Building.The grounds comprise 56 acres (23 ha) of lawns, lakes, and woodlands, and include a serpentine lake, a cascade, a rill and a number of follies: the Gothic Dovecote attributed to Sanderson Miller and his Temple-on-the-Mount; the Drayton Arch was built by David Hiorn in 1771. William Andrews Nesfield advised on a formal flower garden on the south side of the house. A knot garden has been added in the 20th century and was illustrated by Blomfield as an example of a "modern garden". He wrote that "Nothing can be more beautiful than some of the walks under the apple trees in the gardens of Penshurst".
A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme
Transport in Worcestershire