The A419 road is a primary route between Chiseldon near Swindon at junction 15 of the M4 with the A346 road, and Whitminster in Gloucestershire, England near the M5 motorway. The A419 is managed and maintained by a private company, Road Management Group, on behalf of the UK Department for Transport.
The divergence of the A419 and A417
|Length||36 mi (58 km)|
| M4 J15 |
From the M4 to Cirencester it is a dual carriageway road, which generally follows the course of the Roman road Ermin Way, but dualling work completed in the late 1990s, and the bypass of Cirencester, has taken it off-course in some places. East of Cirencester the A417 continues straight ahead as the major road and the A419 separates through Cirencester and Stroud, becoming mainly single carriageway. West of Cirencester the road loses its primary status; it crosses the M5 at junction 13 close to a former Little Chef restaurant, then finishes 0.4 miles (0.64 km) further west at a roundabout with the A38.
A419 Road Bridge
The A419 crossing the Thames
|No. of spans||1|
The bridge is just east of the town and is a concrete construction carrying a dual carriageway, built as part of the two-mile £2.4m Blunsdon-Cricklade Improvement which opened in June 1988.
When it was first designated in 1922, the A419 ran from Hungerford, Berkshire, to Gloucester. Before the war, the section from Cirencester to Gloucester was renumbered the A417, and the A419 was extended from Cirencester to Stroud and then on part of the route of the former A434 through Stonehouse to a junction with the A38 at Hardwicke, just south of Gloucester.
Following the opening of the M4 motorway, the section from Hungerford to Commonhead was downclassified to the B4192. The old lay-bys remain, showing that this was once a major route south. The road was extended south from Commonhead for 0.8 miles (1.3 km) to the M4 on the route of the old A345.
When the M5 motorway was opened, the road was rerouted west of Stroud. A new alignment, known as the Ebley by-pass, was built south of the old route from Cainscross to a point just south of Stonehouse, and from there the road was rerouted on the former line of the A4096 to Eastington, and then to the M5 and the A38 at Whitminster. The old route became the B4008.
The 3-mile (4.8 km) £4m Stratton St. Margaret (Swindon) Bypass opened in October 1977, the 2-mile (3.2 km) £2.4m Blunsdon-Cricklade Improvement opened in June 1988 and the 4-mile (6.4 km) Latton Bypass opened on 24 December 1997.
The major bottleneck in Swindon at Blunsdon traffic lights and the nearby Turnpike roundabout, where local traffic mixes with through traffic for the M4 and the Cotswolds has recently been addressed. Construction of a bypass at Blunsdon commenced on 13 September 2006, and was fully completed in February 2009, although the new dual two-lane carriageway (with an additional crawler lane going southbound up Blunsdon hill) was open by January 2009. A flyover at Commonhead, the main junction for southeast Swindon and another notorious source of congestion, was opened to traffic on 6 February 2007.
Highways Agency pages:
Blunsdon is a civil parish in the Borough of Swindon, England, about 4 miles (6 km) north of the centre of Swindon, with the A419 forming its southern boundary. Its main settlement is the village of Broad Blunsdon, with Lower Blunsdon nearby; the hamlet of Broadbush is now contiguous with Broad Blunsdon.
Blunsdon is the eastern half of the former Blunsdon St Andrew civil parish. In April 2017 the parish was divided, with the western half becoming St Andrews parish.Brimscombe and Thrupp
Brimscombe and Thrupp (grid reference SO862032) is a civil parish made up of two small linked villages situated in the narrow Frome Valley slightly southeast of Stroud, Gloucestershire, England. The parish also includes the hamlets of Upper and Lower Bourne, Lypiatt, Quarhouse, the Heavens and Claypits. The population taken at the 2011 census was 1,830.Brimscombe railway station
Brimscombe was opened on 1 June 1845 on what is now the Golden Valley Line between Kemble and Stroud. This line was opened in 1845 as the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway from Swindon to Gloucester, and this station opened 3 weeks after the general opening of the line, originally as "Brimscomb". The station was renamed as "Brimscomb near Chalford" in June 1865 and finally to Brimscombe on 2 August 1897.
The main building was on the up side (towards Kemble) and consisted of a Brunel style chalet building with a large canopy and a bay window. On the down platform, a large waiting shelter with canopy was provided and a covered footbridge was provided in 1898 following the death of a young woman crossing the line. A large stone good shed with timber ends was provided along with several sidings at the west end of the station on up side. Originally, a small signal box stood at the west end of the down platform, but this was replaced with a new west box in July 1896 and an east box on the up platform in 1898, following the increase in freight traffic.
At the eastern end of up platform, a small engine shed with an integral water tower over the entrance was built. This was used by banking engines based at Brimscombe that assisted freight trains up the 1 in 75 Sapperton Bank beyond Chalford. The 1934 GWR locomotive allocation lists 2-6-2T 31xx class no.3171 as based at Brimscombe and in the 1960s this would have been a 2-6-2T of the 51xx or 61xx classes.
Closure of the station came on 2 November 1964 following the withdrawal of local stopping passenger services on the line. Goods traffic had ceased the previous year on 12 August 1963. Almost all traces of the station have gone and it appears that the adjacent A419 road has been realigned through the eastern side of the station.Cricklade Town Bridge
Cricklade Town Bridge is a road bridge at Cricklade, Wiltshire across the River Thames. Formerly it marked the ultimate limit of navigation on the River Thames, but the stretch of the river beyond Lechlade has fallen into disuse and the bridge can only be reached by very small craft.
The bridge is single arch level crossing at the north end of the town. It was built in 1852, there being no previous bridge on the site. The original Cricklade crossing was probably closer to the A419 Bridge where it carried Ermin Way. This road was at some time obliterated at the bend north of the bridge, and a road was deflected from it due south through the town. The River Churn joins the Thames just downstream of the bridge.Dudbridge
Dudbridge is a suburb on the southern edge of Stroud in Gloucestershire, England.Dudbridge railway station
Dudbridge railway station served the Stroud suburb of Dudbridge and the village of Selsley, little more than 1 mile (1.6 km) from Stroud, in Gloucestershire, England. The station was on the 5 3⁄4 miles (9.3 km) long Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, later part of the Midland Railway.
The station opened as "Dudbridge for Stroud" with the railway in 1867. The buildings included a two-storey station-master's house and though there was originally only a single platform, the station was a passing place on the single-track branch line.
In 1885, the Midland Railway built a very short branch line from Dudbridge to Stroud. The new line opened for goods traffic in 1885 and for passengers the following year, at which point Dudbridge became a junction station, and a second platform was built.
The Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, along with the rest of the Midland Railway, became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway at the 1923 Grouping. Passenger services were suspended on the line as an economy measure to save fuel in June 1947, and were officially withdrawn from 8 June 1949. Dudbridge remained open for goods traffic until 1966.
The station buildings survived and were occupied until the early 1990s, when they were demolished. Most of the former station site has now been consumed by the redevelopment of the A419 road for the Ebley bypass, with the Dudbridge to Ryeford section used as route for the roadway.Eysey Footbridge
Eysey Footbridge is a footbridge across the River Thames in England, just below Cricklade, Wiltshire and to the south of Eysey Manor. It is one of the first bridges on the Thames Path.This section of the Thames is the boundary between the parishes of Cricklade (south of the river) and Latton (north). The River Key joins the Thames upstream of the bridge.Frampton Mansell
Frampton Mansell is a small English village 5 miles (8 km) ESE of Stroud, in the parish of Sapperton. It is lies off the A419 road between Stroud and Cirencester.Frome Banks
Frome Banks (grid reference SO851048) is a 1.3-hectare (3.2-acre) nature reserve in Gloucestershire.The site is managed by the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust under lease from Gloucestershire County Council and a private owner. The reserve was established in 1990. It is operated in partnership with the Stroud Valleys Project.Hannington, Wiltshire
Hannington is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, two miles northwest of Highworth, and now part of the Borough of Swindon. The parish includes the hamlets of Hannington Wick (north of Hannington village) and Swanborough (south, on the border with Highworth parish). The nearest town is Swindon 5.5 miles (9.2 kilometres) and the County town of Wilshire, Trowbridge, is 29.5 miles (47.6 kilometres). The River Thames forms both the northern boundary of the parish and the county boundary with Gloucestershire.
John Marius Wilson of the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales in 1870 described the village of Hannington as:A village and a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands 2 miles W by N of Highworth, 2 S of the river Thames at the boundary with Gloucester, and 7 NE of Swindon Junction r. station; is a pretty place, built in the form of the letter Y; and has a post office under Swindon.Latton, Wiltshire
Latton is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of Cricklade, on the county border with Gloucestershire. The village is bypassed by the A419 road from Swindon to Cirencester. The parish includes the hamlet of Eysey, formerly a village with its own church and parish.
Watercourses form several of the parish boundaries. In the northeast (also the county boundary) the boundary is the Ampney Brook; in the south, the Thames and its tributary the River Ray; in the northwest the River Churn, another tributary of the Thames.List of bridges in the United Kingdom
Bridges in the United Kingdom is a link page for any road bridges or footbridges in the United Kingdom.
Railway bridges are listed under: List of railway bridges and viaducts in the United Kingdom.
Canal aqueducts are listed under: List of canal aqueducts in the United KingdomList of crossings of the River Thames
This is a list of crossings of the River Thames comprising over 200 bridges, 27 tunnels, six public ferries, one cable car link, and one ford. Historic achievements, explanatory notes and proposed crossings are also included.River Cole, Wiltshire
The River Cole is a tributary of the River Thames in England which flows through Wiltshire and Oxfordshire, where it forms part of the border between the two counties.The river rises near Swindon at the springs which fed the old Wilts and Berks Canal at Marshgate. The precise location is unknown as much of the upper course has been culverted and built over. The first signs of its existence can be seen just above the Greenbridge retail park where it flows easterly through it. From there it is culverted, across to Oxford Road where it turns south for about three quarters of a mile. At the Piccadilly roundabout it turns abruptly east and skirts the Coleview Estate. It flows east past Covingham and under Merlin Way through the flood marsh and out under the A419 road. It runs to the east of the town through Stratton St Margaret, South Marston and Coleshill, Oxfordshire. It joins the Thames near Lechlade from the southern bank near the A417 bridge on the reach above Buscot Lock. The river flows through National Trust land with many mills adjacent the river that have altered it by straightening and pollution.River Key
The River Key is a tributary of the River Thames in England which flows through Wiltshire.
The river rises at Braydon Forest near Purton and runs through Purton Stoke, joining the Thames on the southern bank near Cricklade just upstream of the A419 Road Bridge. The river was crossed by the North Wilts Canal a few hundred yards south of Cricklade on the B4553 to Purton. In December 2000, as part of regeneration of the canal, rescue work was started on the River Key Aqueduct.Ryeford railway station
Ryeford railway station served the villages of Ryeford, Kings Stanley and Leonard Stanley in Gloucestershire, England. It was on the 9.3km-long Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, later part of the Midland Railway.
The station opened with the railway in 1867. It was large for a country station and included a two-storey station-master's house. The single platform at Ryeford was unusually wide. Sidings served a large timber yard and a signalbox was sited at Ryeford when the short branch to Stroud from Dudbridge, the next station towards Nailsworth, opened in 1885.
The Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, along with the rest of the Midland Railway, became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway at the 1923 Grouping. Passenger services were suspended on the line as an economy measure to save fuel in June 1947, and were officially withdrawn from 8 June 1949. Ryeford remained open for goods traffic until 1964, though the signalbox closed in 1958. The line itself closed for goods traffic in 1966. The station buildings at Ryeford have all been demolished and the line of the track is used as the A419 road.Stroudwater Navigation
The Stroudwater Navigation is a canal in England which linked Stroud to the River Severn. It was authorised in 1776, although part had already been built, as the proprietors believed that an Act of Parliament obtained in 1730 gave them the necessary powers. Opened in 1779, it was a commercial success, its main cargo being coal. It was 8 miles (13 km) in length and had a rise of 102 ft 5 in (31.22 m) through 12 locks. Following the opening of the Thames and Severn Canal in 1789, it formed part of a through route from Bristol to London, although much of its trade vanished when the Kennet and Avon Canal provided a more direct route in 1810. Despite competition from the railways, the canal continued to pay dividends to shareholders until 1922, and was not finally abandoned until 1954.
Even before its closure, there was interest in retaining the canal for its amenity value. The Stroudwater Canal Society, which later became the Cotswold Canals Trust, was formed in 1972. Following initial hostility from the Proprietors, who had not been stripped of their powers when the canal had closed, agreement was reached and work began on restoration of the waterway. The project gained popularity, and in 2003, a bid was made to the Heritage Lottery Fund for £82 million to restore both the Stroudwater Navigation and the Thames and Severn Canal. The project had to be split into smaller parts, and only the first phase has so far been funded in this way, when a grant of £11.9 million was confirmed in 2006. With match funding, this was to enable the section from 'The Ocean' at Stonehouse to Wallbridge to be reopened, together with the Wallbridge to Brimscombe Port section of the Thames and Severn.
A second bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund for the connection from Stonehouse to the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal at Saul was rejected in 2007. This section presents some engineering challenges, as it was severed by the construction of the M5 motorway and the A38 road. The roundabout where the A38 joins the A419 road was built over Bristol Road Lock, and part of the route was destroyed by flood relief work for the River Frome. At Stonehouse, the bridge carrying the Bristol and Gloucester Railway has been replaced by a culvert, but a bid has been made to the newly formed Gloucestershire Local Transport Board for its reinstatement, and to create a long-distance footpath along the route. Outside of the main restoration, the Cotswold Canals Trust are gradually restoring many of the other structures, with the ultimate goal of re-opening a link between the River Thames and the River Severn.Thames and Severn Canal
The Thames and Severn Canal is a canal in Gloucestershire in the south of England, which was completed in 1789. It was conceived as part of a canal route from Bristol to London. At its eastern end, it connects to the River Thames at Inglesham Lock near Lechlade, while at its western end, it connects to the Stroudwater Navigation at Wallbridge near Stroud, and thence to the River Severn. It has one short arm (branch), from Siddington to the town of Cirencester. It includes Sapperton Tunnel, which when built was the longest canal tunnel in Britain, and remains the fourth longest. There were always problems with water supply, as no reservoirs were built, while the summit section near the tunnel ran through porous limestone, and there were constant difficulties with leakage. Competition from the railways took much of the canal's traffic by the end of the 19th century, and most of the canal was abandoned in 1927, the remainder in 1941.
Since 1972, the Cotswold Canals Trust has been working to restore both the canal and the Stroudwater Navigation, so that it can again provide a navigable link between the Thames and the Severn. A number of the structures have been restored, and some sections are now in water. A major step forward occurred in 2003, when a bid was made to the Heritage Lottery Fund for £82 million to restore both canals. The bid and the project had to be split into smaller sections, but £11.9 million was awarded in 2006 for phase 1a, which with match funding will restore navigation from 'The Ocean' at Stonehouse to Wallbridge on the Stroudwater Navigation, and from Wallbridge to Brimscombe Port on the Thames and Severn Canal. Another step forwards occurred in 2010, when British Waterways gave Inglesham Lock to the Trust, and the Inland Waterways Association mounted a national campaign to fund its restoration and around 420 yards (380 m) of canal above it. The intention is to re-open the whole canal, but there are some major engineering obstacles to be overcome to achieve this.
A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme
Transport in Gloucestershire
|Airports and Heliports|