The A4010 between West Wycombe and Aylesbury
|Length||17 mi (27 km)|
|South end||Handy Cross Roundabout, High Wycombe|
|North end||Stoke Mandeville|
|Aylesbury, Princes Risborough|
The A4010 begins at the major junction at Handy Cross where the A404 meets the M40 motorway. It travels through the High Wycombe suburbs of Cressex and Sands to West Wycombe Road where it meets the A40 road. The two roads then combine for 0.5 miles (0.80 km) to the Pedestal roundabout, where they split.
The A4010 then runs as Bradenham Road, crossing under the Chiltern Main Line by means of a distinctive brick skew bridge and closely following it through Bradenham and Saunderton to Princes Risborough. The road travels straight through the town centre, meeting the A4129 at a roundabout. It then turns north-east through Monks Risborough.
The A4010 then travels through The Kimbles, (the villages of Great Kimble and Little Kimble). The road then comes out of the Chiltern Hills and, at a roundabout, turns north. 1 mile (1.6 km) later, it enters Stoke Mandeville. After passing another roundabout and Stoke Mandeville railway station, the road terminates at a roundabout on the A413. The A413 then carries on north-west into central Aylesbury.
The A4010 generally stays very close to the Chiltern Main Line from West Wycombe to Princes Risborough and then the Princes Risborough to Aylesbury Line from Princes Risborough to Little Kimble. The road passes the following stations:
The A4010 has an important role to fulfill in connecting, Aylesbury the county town of Buckinghamshire to High Wycombe, the largest town in south Buckinghamshire. However, the road is not dual carriageway at all throughout its 17-mile (27 km) trip. It also travels right through the centres of High Wycombe, Princes Risborough and Stoke Mandeville with no bypasses. Because of this, the road is often congested especially in the rush hours. Additionally, the road comes very close to Aylesbury without actually reaching it. Access to Aylesbury is via a small mini roundabout with the A413, itself also a single carriageway. This junction is exceptionally small for the traffic flow it serves in all three directions. There is an alternative route into Aylesbury, via the B4443, which leaves the A4010 a little further west, also by way of a mini roundabout. This route takes traffic past the front of the busy Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
The idea of a bypass around Princes Risborough is not an unpopular one, as many residents of the town agree that it would relieve the over-strained town centre. At present, travel north to south in Buckinghamshire is difficult due to the poor standard roads. A bypass has not been investigated however as Buckinghamshire County Council is currently trying to sort out traffic north of Aylesbury, although even an Aylesbury bypass does not seem to be high priority.
Bradenham is a village and civil parish within Wycombe district in Buckinghamshire, England. It is near Saunderton, off the main A4010 road between Princes Risborough and High Wycombe.Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway
The Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway was a railway built and operated jointly by the Great Western Railway (GWR) and Great Central Railway (GCR) between Northolt (in north west London) and Ashendon Junction (west of Aylesbury). It was laid out as a trunk route with gentle curves and gradients and spacious track layouts. The two companies each needed approach railways at both ends of the line to connect their respective systems, and these were built as part of a single project.
The joint line opened in 1905 and gave the GCR a better route than previously for its London Extension from Nottingham and Leicester. When the GWR completed its "Bicester Cut-off", combined with the Joint Line itself the GWR had a much shorter and better route for its Birmingham and Birkenhead traffic.
Most of the GCR's London Extension was closed in 1966 but the Joint Line, the GCR approach through Wembley and the GWR Bicester Cut-off are still in use as a secondary main line from London to Birmingham, in intensive use by Chiltern Railways.Great and Little Kimble cum Marsh
Great and Little Kimble cum Marsh, formerly Great and Little Kimble is a civil parish in Wycombe district, Buckinghamshire. It is located 5 mi (8.0 km) to the south of Aylesbury. In addition to the villages of Great Kimble and Little Kimble it contains the hamlets of Kimblewick and Marsh, and an area within Great Kimble is called Smokey Row.
It comprises the ancient ecclesiastical parishes of Great Kimble and Little Kimble and also the medieval Manors which had the same names. The two separate parishes were amalgamated in 1885, but kept their separate churches, St Nicholas for Great Kimble and All Saints for Little Kimble. They fell within the Hundred of Stone, which was originally one of the Three Hundreds of Aylesbury, later amalgamated into Aylesbury Hundred. The parishes lie between Monks Risborough and Ellesborough and, like other parishes on the north side of the Chilterns, were strip parishes, long and narrow, including a section of the scarp and extending into the vale below. In length the combined parish extends for about 4 1⁄4 miles (6.8 km) from near the Bishopstone Road beyond Marsh to the far end of Pulpit Wood near the road from Great Missenden to Chequers but it is only a mile wide at the widest point. The village of Great Kimble lies about 5.5 miles (8.9 kilometres) south of Aylesbury and about 2.5 miles (4.0 kilometres) from Princes Risborough on the A4010 road.
There is a prehistoric hillfort at the summit of Pulpit Hill in Great Kimble. During the Roman occupation of Britain there was a Roman villa at Little Kimble and a tumulus near Great Kimble church is probably a burial mound from the same period. In Norman times a motte and bailey castle was erected at Little Kimble and later developed into a moated site for a medieval dwellinghouse. The present churches of St Nicholas (Great Kimble) and All Saints (Little Kimble) date from the 13th century. It was here that John Hampden refused to pay his ship-money in 1635, one of the incidents which led to the English Civil War.Handy Cross roundabout
Handy Cross roundabout is a major road interchange at Handy Cross, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire; the junction for High Wycombe, the M40 motorway and the A404 dual-carriageway. It is the terminus of the A4010 which runs to Aylesbury.Monks Risborough
Monks Risborough is a village and ecclesiastical parish in Buckinghamshire, England, lying between Princes Risborough and Great Kimble. The village lies at the foot of the northern scarp of the Chiltern Hills. It is 8 miles (13 km) south of the county town of Aylesbury and 9.5 miles (15.3 km) north of High Wycombe, on the A4010 road.
Until 1934 Monks Risborough was also a separate civil parish, but it now forms part of the much enlarged civil parish of Princes Risborough, with the exception of Meadle and Owlswick, which are both now in the civil parish of Longwick-cum-Ilmer.
The boundaries of the ecclesiastical parish of Monks Risborough are almost the same as the former Manor of Monks Risborough and of the original estate laid out in the 8th or 9th century. References to the 'parish' are therefore to the area covered by the ecclesiastical parish unless otherwise stated.The ecclesiastical parish of Monks Risborough includes the hamlets of Meadle, Owlswick, Askett, Cadsden and Whiteleaf.Princes Risborough
Princes Risborough () is a small town in Buckinghamshire, England, about 9 miles south of Aylesbury and 8 miles north west of High Wycombe. Bledlow lies to the west and Monks Risborough to the east. It lies at the foot of the Chiltern Hills, at the north end of a gap or pass through the Chilterns, the south end of which is at West Wycombe. The A4010 road follows this route from West Wycombe through the town and then on to Aylesbury.
Historically it was both a manor and an ecclesiastical parish, of the same extent as the manor, which comprised the present ecclesiastical parish of Princes Risborough (excluding Ilmer) and also the present ecclesiastical parish of Lacey Green, which became a separate parish in the 19th century. It was long and narrow (a "strip parish"), taking in land below the Chiltern scarp, the slope of the scarp itself and also land above the scarp extending into the Chiltern hills. The manor and the parish extended from Longwick in the north through Alscot, the town of Princes Risborough, Loosley Row and Lacey Green to Speen and Walters Ash in the south.
Since 1934 the civil parish of Princes Risborough (formerly the same as the ecclesiastical parish) has included the town of Princes Risborough, the village of Monks Risborough (but not the outlying parts) and part of Horsenden but has excluded Longwick. It is within the Wycombe district of Buckinghamshire and operates as a town council within Wycombe district.
The town is overlooked by the Whiteleaf Cross, carved in the chalk of the hillside, though the cross itself is in Monks Risborough.Saunderton
Saunderton is a village in the Saunderton Valley in the Chiltern Hills, Buckinghamshire, England. It is in the civil parish of Bledlow-cum-Saunderton , about 3 1⁄2 miles (6 km) northwest of High Wycombe and about 4 1⁄2 miles (7 km) south of Princes Risborough. It is on the A4010 road, and is served by Saunderton railway station on the Chiltern Main Line.Saunderton railway station
Saunderton railway station is a railway station on the A4010 road between High Wycombe and Princes Risborough, in Buckinghamshire, England. It is located near the villages of Bledlow Ridge and Bradenham, and lies on the Chiltern Main Line between High Wycombe and Princes Risborough stations.
Confusingly, the village of Saunderton, after which the station is named, is about 2.5 miles (4 km) north of the station and is in fact much closer to the nearby Princes Risborough station. The hamlet immediately around the station is also known locally as Saunderton and is indicated as such on nearby road signs, but it is not named on maps.Skew arch
A skew arch (also known as an oblique arch) is a method of construction that enables an arch bridge to span an obstacle at some angle other than a right angle. This results in the faces of the arch not being perpendicular to its abutments and its plan view being a parallelogram, rather than the rectangle that is the plan view of a regular, or "square" arch.
In the case of a masonry skew arch, the construction requires precise stonecutting, as the cuts do not form right angles, but once the principles were fully understood in the early 19th century, it became considerably easier and cheaper to build a skew arch of brick.
The problem of building skew arch masonry bridges was addressed by a number of early civil engineers and mathematicians, including Giovanni Barbara (1726), William Chapman (1787), Benjamin Outram (1798), Peter Nicholson (1828), George Stephenson (1830), Edward Sang (1835), Charles Fox (1836), George W. Buck (1839) and William Froude (c. 1844).Wycombe Railway
The Wycombe Railway was a British railway between Maidenhead and Oxford that connected with the Great Western Railway at both ends; there was one branch, to Aylesbury.
A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme