The A120 is an important trunk road in the East of England. It follows the course of Stane Street, a Roman road from Standon, Hertfordshire at its western terminus to Colchester. From Colchester the A120 leads roughly east to the Essex port of Harwich.
Route of the A120 from OpenStreetMap
|Part of E32|
M11 Junction 8
A12 Junctions 25 and 29
The old A120 has been bypassed in several places, such that the old Roman road can be easily traced on a map, with the current designated A120 being less straight. From west to east, the A120's bypasses are:
As part of the application to add a second runway at Stansted, it was proposed that a new junction on the A120, replacing two existing ones, would be built to improve access to Stansted Airport. The proposal lapsed when the application for a second runway was withdrawn by BAA in 2010. 
A120, A.120 or A-120 may refer to:
A120 road (England), a road connecting Puckeridge and Harwich
A120 road (Malaysia), a road in Perak
Ansaldo A.120, a 1925 Italian reconnaissance aircraft
HMAS Launceston (J179/B246/A120), a 1941 Royal Australian Navy Bathurst class corvette
One A120, a 4 GB of flash memory, webcam and Windows XP netbook computerA131 road
The A131 road is a road in Essex, England.
It runs from the A130 road (near Little Waltham) to the A134 road at Sudbury. The A131 road by-passes Great Leighs, Young's End, Great Notley, then goes through the A120 road as the Braintree by-pass. It then meets the B1053 road (at the north end of the Braintree by-pass), goes through High Garrett, where it meets the A1017 road (coming off to the left) and Halstead (where it crosses the A1124 road).A133 road
The A133 road runs between Colchester and Clacton-on-Sea. One end is at Cymbeline Way in Lexden, from where the road runs through the Avenue of Remembrance, bypassing Colchester town centre. It also runs past Wivenhoe Park, through Elmstead Market, Frating Green, meeting a spur from the A120 road at Great Bentley. The road by-passes Weeley, Weeley Heath, Little Clacton, Great Clacton ending in Clacton on Sea.
The A133 stretch within Colchester was formerly the A12Bradfield Heath
Bradfield Heath is a village in Essex, England. It is located in between the A120 road and the B1352 road.
It is the location of the former Bradfield Hall, which was demolished c.1955. Bradfield Hall was the home of Sir John Raynsford (c.1482-1559) (MP for Colchester and High Sheriff of Essex and Hertfordshire for 1537–38) and Sir Harbottle Grimston, 1st Baronet (c.1569–1648) (MP for Harwich and Essex and also High Sheriff). Sir Harbottle was a leading Parliamentarian during the Civil War.Coggeshall
Coggeshall ( or ) is a small town of 4,727 residents (in 2011) in Essex, England, between Colchester and Braintree on the Roman road of Stane Street, and intersected by the River Blackwater. Although Coggeshall has a market and is a market town, the vast majority of the residents, some of whom are third or fourth generation Coggeshall, insist on referring to it as a village. The population increased to 4,727 at the 2011 Census. It is known for its almost 300 listed buildings and formerly extensive antique trade. Many local businesses, such as the White Hart Hotel and the Chapel Inn, have been established for hundreds of years (the Chapel Inn became a legally licensed premises in 1554). A market has been run every week on Market Hill since 1256, when a charter to do so was granted by Henry III.
Coggeshall won the Essex Best Kept Village award in its category in 1998 and 2001–03; it was named the Eastern England & Home Counties Village of the Year in 2003. Official brown coloured sightseeing/tourist road signs on the entry to the town from the A120 road still show Coggeshall as "Village of the Year".East Gores
East Gores is a hamlet in the Colchester District, in the English county of Essex. It is near the A120 road.European route E32
Route E 32 in the international E-road network is completely within the United Kingdom. Although the United Kingdom Government participates fully in activities concerning the E-routes, E-routes are not signposted within the United Kingdom.
The E 32 runs between Colchester and Harwich, and is 30 kilometres (19 mi) in length, making it one of the shortest E-roads. It follows the A120 road. In the western part it is similar to a motorway but not signposted as such. The rest is ordinary road. It carries a lot of heavy vehicles. It connects to the E 30 and to the ferries from Harwich to Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Denmark.Gransmore Green
Gransmore Green is a hamlet in the civil parish of Felsted, in the Uttlesford district of Essex, England. Nearby settlements include the towns of Braintree and Great Dunmow, and Felsted village. The hamlet is situated on the B1417 road, with the A120 road nearby to the north.Great Dunmow
Great Dunmow is a historic market town and civil parish in the Uttlesford district of Essex, England. It is situated on the north of the A120 road, approximately midway between Bishop's Stortford and Braintree, 6 miles east of London Stansted Airport.
Originally the site of a Roman settlement on Stane Street, the town thrived during the Middle Ages. Many buildings survive from this period, including a sixteenth-century town hall. Dunmow means "Meadow on the Hill". The settlement was variously referred to as Dunmow Magna, Much Dunmow, or most commonly Great Dunmow.
Great Dunmow borders the former estate of Easton Lodge in the neighbouring parish of Little Easton, a country house belonging to the Maynard family. The most notable member, Frances Maynard, became the Countess of Warwick and later a mistress of King Edward VII. As the Prince of Wales he was reportedly a regular visitor to the Estate, travelling from London on the train to Easton Lodge railway station. The initials "CW" are visible on a number of Victorian era properties in Great Dunmow. Known as Daisy Greville, Countess of Warwick she was a generous philanthropist in the local community. As of 2018, Robert Nicholson is Emeritus Mayor of Great Dunmow.Jalan Banir
Jalan Banir (Perak state route A120) is a major road in Perak, Malaysia.Little Canfield
Little Canfield is a village and a civil parish in the Uttlesford district of Essex, England. The village is situated the B1256 road, near the A120 road and the village of Takeley.
Little Canfield is in the Takeley and the Canfields ward of Uttlesford, and the Dunmow division of Essex County Council.
The village is currently expanding as housing developments are being built around the area. It has a public house, the Lion and Lamb.Little Hadham
Little Hadham is a village and civil parish in the district of East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, England. At the census of 2001 it had a population of 1,081, increasing to 1,153 at the 2011 Census. It is located on the A120 road, which connects it to the nearby town of Bishop's Stortford. Little Hadham, together with the neighbouring village of Much Hadham, are collectively known as The Hadhams.The rural village is situated on the banks of the River Ash and is characterised by half-timbered houses. The medieval parish church, dedicated to Saint Cecilia, was reconstructed in the late 14th or 15th century. The Bishop of London is the patron of the church.Pattiswick
Pattiswick is a village near the A120 road, in the Braintree District, in the English county of Essex.Perry Green, Essex
Perry Green is a hamlet near the village of Bradwell Juxta Coggeshall, in the Braintree district, in the English county of Essex. For transport there is the A120 road nearby.Ramsey, Essex
Ramsey is a village on the B1352 road (near the A120 road), near the town of Harwich, in the Tendring district, in the English county of Essex. It has a pub called the Castle Inn The village forms part of the civil parish of Ramsey and Parkeston.
The Domesday Book (1086) records two parcels of land in the area, "Michaelstou" and "Rameseia". These were later divided into seven manors:
The manor of Roydon Hall
The manor of Ramsey Hall
The manor of Michaelstowe
The manor of East New Hall
The manor of Strondland
The manor of Le Rey (Ray Island)
The manor of FoultonStebbing Green
Stebbing Green is a hamlet in the Uttlesford district, in the county of Essex. It is near the village of Stebbing; its post town is Dunmow. It is near the B1256 road (Dunmow Road) and the main A120 road.Surrex
Surrex is a hamlet in the civil parish of Coggeshall, and the Braintree district of Essex, England. The hamlet is at the junction of the A120 road and a minor road (Old Road) to the village of Feering, and is 1 mile (1.6 km) east from the small market town of Coggeshall.
Surrex largely comprises modern housing development and a small retail and business area.
Surrex was previously in the civil parish of Feering, and from 1854 in the ecclesiastical parish of Great Tey. In 1933, commercial listings for the hamlet in Feering included a farmer, a beer retailer, and a threshing machine proprietor.In 2014, following road safety concerns, particularly those expressed by local MP Priti Patel, Surrex settlement entry signs were placed on the A120. The signs caused some initial confusion and ridicule from local people and councillors, however, a later report stated that the signs were seen as being successful in reducing traffic speed.A former public house, from 2008 The Queens Head (previously named "The Surrex Inn, the American Pilot, the East Anglian Roadhouse and the Porterhouse Inn"), closed in 2011 and became derelict. The building, which was subsequently owned by a "Chinese investor", was destroyed by fire in August 2017.Wellpond Green
Wellpond Green is a hamlet near the A120 road and the town of Bishop's Stortford, in the county of Hertfordshire, England. Wellpond Green contains 4 listed buildings.At the 2011 Census the population of the hamlet was included in the civil parish of Standon.Wix, Essex
Wix is a village and civil parish in the Tendring district of Essex, England. It lies in a small valley about 2 miles (3 km) south of the Stour Estuary. The valley drains east towards Harwich. Formerly an important crossroads on the route to Harwich, it has now been bypassed by the A120 road.
The church, dedicated to Saint Mary, has a detached belfry which stands in the churchyard and contains one bell. In 1961, the then owner of Wix Abbey Farm was ploughing in the church which was overgrown when he struck a large piece of dressed limestone, which with further investigation revealed a large stone coffin with a skeleton inside. Archaeologists were called in and dated the coffin to circa 1140, due to the decorative cross on the lid having Saxon influences. The skeleton is very likely that of Alexander de Wix, a founder of Wix Priory, which occupied the church grounds until the 12th century. This coffin is now on show, or was until recently on display in Colchester Castle. An almost identical but slightly smaller coffin from the same site can be found in the bellhouse, in the churchyard.
There is one pub, The Waggon at Wix, a post office and general stores in Colchester Road, the Equestrian Centre in Clacton Road and Anglian Timber.
A roads in Zone 1 of the Great Britain road numbering scheme