Cogswell, the Peterborough-born son of a wood carver, was an architect who, although not well known nationally, left a strong mark on the appearance of Portsmouth lasting until this day.
He arrived in Portsmouth in the early 1870s and served an apprenticeship with a prominent local architect, George Rake (1829-1885), with whom he worked on the new gaol in Kingston (the former HM Prison Kingston) and Milton Lunatic Asylum (now St James' Hospital). After serving his apprenticeship, Cogswell later became a partner in Rake's business. George Rake died aged 56 on 30 November 1885, and Cogswell continued the practice.
Arthur Cogswell built a reputation of his own and was a friend of John Brickwood, a fellow Freemason who commissioned him to design many of the Brickwood's public houses in the Portsmouth area. He was also responsible for local shops, banks, churches, schools, cinemas, theatres and, in the early 1900s, the Carnegie Library in Fratton Road to which he gave his services for free. His style is very recognisable throughout the city.
He designed several pubs, including The Talbot at 207 Goldsmith Avenue, Southsea built in 1896 for Brickwood’s brewery in Brewer's Tudor style, and the Grade II listed The Tangier, 61/63 Tangier Road, Baffins built in 1912 for Portsmouth United Breweries. Cogswell is also credited for designing the early Fratton Park stadium buildings for Portsmouth F.C..
Arthur E. Cogswell was an enthusiast of association football and founded Portsmouth Association Football Club (1884-1896), an amateur football team which had Sherlock Holmes creator, Arthur Conan Doyle as their goalkeeper, who played under the pseudonym A.C. Smith.
Portsmouth AFC were disbanded in 1896. Although only speculation, it may be theorised that Arthur Edward Cogswell, a football enthusiast and acquaintance of Brickwood Brewery owner John Brickwood (through his career as a pub architect), may have influenced John Brickwood to form a new football club. John Brickwood became the chairman of the syndicate which formed Portsmouth FC on 5 April 1898.
In 1899, Cogswell designed Fratton Park's first South Stand, called The Grand Stand, which measured "100 feet long with seven rows of seats on the south side" and was built on the southern side of the pitch.
In 1900, Cogswell built a Brickwoods Brewery public house named "The Pompey" next to Fratton Park at 44 Frogmore Road. The owner of the Brickwoods Brewery was John Brickwood, the first chairman of Portsmouth F.C.
In 1905, Cogswell built a mock Tudor club pavilion in the south west corner of Fratton Park which served as the Portsmouth F.C. club offices and players dressing rooms. The pavilion originally featured a tall clock tower spire and a spectator gallery.
Sadly, in 1925 the original Grand Stand and part of the club pavilion (including its clock tower) were cleared to allow space for a new, larger South Stand built by Archibald Leitch, but the distinctive mock Tudor entrance façade of the pavilion still exists in Frogmore Road today.
Clarence Pier is an amusement pier in Portsmouth, Hampshire. It is located next to Southsea Hoverport. Unlike most seaside piers in the UK, the pier does not extend very far out to sea and instead goes along the coast.
The pier was originally constructed and opened in 1861 by the Prince and Princess of Wales and boasted a regular ferry service to the Isle of Wight. It was damaged by air raids during World War II and was reopened in its current form on 1 June 1961 after being rebuilt by local architects A.E. Cogswell & Sons and R. Lewis Reynish.The main entrance to the pier from the road is via a striking pavilion building with distinctive yellow and blue cladding and a small tower. This originally housed an amusement arcade and cafe although in more recent years, the upper floor has variously been used for "Pirate Pete's" indoor children's playground, a Wimpy bar while the 'Golden Horseshoe' amusement arcade and Coffee Cup (originally a prize bingo hall) remain on the ground floor.
A smaller building, perpendicular but not physically joined to the main pavilion houses another amusement arcade, the "Clarence Pier" (Originally called "Wheel Of Fortune") and some small gift shops. The upper floor was originally used as a public house, but it was later converted into 'Jurassic 3001', a futuristic dinosaur themed dark ride, which opened in 1995. The ride's exterior featured an animatronic triceratops, whose head protruded from the side of the building and roared occasionally at passers-by. The attraction closed in 2001, yet all ride signage and theming on the building remained until the end of 2011. The upper floor space previously occupied by this ride underwent a conversion to apartments, according to planning publications, in 2012.
A Building at the side of the Funfair houses an arcade called "Games Wharf" and "The Boat House" (originally another Coffee Cup).
The main funfair operates on a free admission, pay-per-ride token-based system. In the early 1980s, the amusement park was named "Fun Acres" and as well as the whole pier itself, it also took up 3500 sq metres of land or so to the North West of the Northern part of the pier. This part of the park was cleared and redeveloped as Another arcade called "Southsea Island Leisure", The Clarence Pier Public House, a crazy golf course and a Premier Inn during the 1990s, therefore the park itself is significantly smaller than it used to be. The old part of the park contained the 56-seat Corbiere Spherical Ferris Wheel and a ghost train among other attractions. The token booths were shaped as mushrooms.
One of the main landmarks of Clarence Pier until the mid-1990s was the Super Loop ride, since removed. The Ferris wheel was sold and relocated to Pleasureland Southport. One ride which lasted the duration and remains to this day is the Skyways roller coaster. A new addition to the pier is a pirate-themed crazy golf course situated behind the Clarence Pier arcade.
"Mind The Baby, Mr. Bean", an episode of British TV comedy series "Mr. Bean" was filmed on location at Clarence Pier (as well as other locations in Southsea) and aired on ITV in 1994. This was prior to the closure of the North Western part of the park and the closure of the Wheel Of Fortune public house. The episode shows the Super Loop, Skyways roller coaster, and many of the park's other attractions from that time. Clarence Pier was also the filming location to the teen pop band, "S Club Juniors" song, "Fool No More" filmed mainly on the dodgems but the rollercoaster, 'Skyways' can also be seen in the video.Cogswell (surname)
Cogswell is a surname. Notable people with the surname include:
A. E. Cogswell, British architect
Bryce Cogswell, computer expert
Fred Cogswell, Canadian poet
Henry D. Cogswell, dentist
Joseph Cogswell, 19th-century bibliographer and educator
Sue Cogswell, English squash player
Theodore Cogswell, American science fiction author
William F. Cogswell (1819–1903), American portrait painter
Alice Cogswell, deaf American
Mason Fitch Cogswell, American physicianHilsea
Hilsea is a district of the city of Portsmouth in the English county of Hampshire. Hilsea is home to one of Portsmouth's main sports and leisure facilities – the Mountbatten centre. Trafalgar School (formerly the City of Portsmouth Boys' School) is also in Hilsea. It is also the home of Portsmouth rugby football club
Located at the northern end of Portsea Island, for most of its history Hilsea was a small hamlet on the Portsmouth to London road. The boundaries of Portsmouth were not extended to encompass the hamlet until 1832. The last working farm in Portsmouth, Green Farm, was located in the area up to the 1990s. This area is now a residential estate and is marked by a pub and hotel still known locally as the Green Farm, although its external sign bears only the name of the Toby Carvery chain which now owns it.
Construction of Hilsea Barracks started in 1780. Over the decades they underwent various rebuildings and changes of use before being knocked down to allow for housing development in the 1960s.In the years after 1926 Hilsea expanded with the building of the Hilsea Crescent Estate which was constructed on former allotments.The north of the district composes the Hilsea Lines, former defensive fortifications that are now a nature reserve. In the 1930s western end of the line's moat became known as the Hilsea lagoon and in the mid-1930s work was done on the banks and it was turned into a boating lake. In the same period the land around the eastern end of the boating lake was converted into Hilsea bastion gardens. Most of the gardens were destroyed as the result of road widening in 1968–70. The terraces that formed part of the gardens were demolished in 2000.
In 1938 a bridge was built across the boating lake section of the moat. It was demolished in 1999 and later replaced by the current structure.
The area is home to the Coach & Horses pub. This was originally the first public house reached when arriving on Portsea island from the mainland. It was damaged in a fire in 1870 and had to be rebuilt. It was again rebuilt between 1929 and 1931 to a design by A.E. Cogswell and this is the building that stands today.Another facility in the area was the Hilsea Lido which opened in July 1935. It closed in 2008 although attempts are being made to reopen it.The north west of Hilsea is protected from the sea by Stamshaw Esplanade which was built between 1936 and 1938. The Esplanade also serves to connect site of Hilsea lido with Alexandra ParkModern Hilsea is a mixture of residential and industrial areas. One of the major routes into Portsmouth still runs through the area. In addition, a small station serves the area.