The 911th Air Refueling Squadron is part of the 916th Air Refueling Wing at Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina. The squadron is the Air Force’s very first active duty squadron that is under the command of a reserve wing. In October of 2016, the 911th, formerly geographically separated from the 6th Air Mobility Wing at MacDill AFB, FL and operated as the active duty associate to the 916th Air Refueling Wing, became the first “I-Wing” or Integrated Wing.
The squadron is one of the oldest in the United States Air Force. Its origins date to 15 May 1917, when it was organized at Kelly Field, Texas. The 21st Aero Squadron served in France as part of the 3d Aviation Instructional Center, American Expeditionary Forces, as a pilot training squadron during World War I.
The squadron was activated as the 21st Observation Squadron in 1923, but received few, if any, personnel before being disbanded in 1933. In 1935 a new 21st Observation Squadron was organized at Langley Field, Virginia.[note 1] In 1939, it moved to Florida and began to fly Neutrality Patrol missions over the adjacent waters.
After the attack on Pearl Harbor it flew antisubmarine patrols in the Gulf of Mexico and off the Atlantic Coast. It then became a heavy bomber training unit until 1944. In 1944 it converted to Boeing B-29 Superfortresses and saw combat in the Pacific during World War II, where it was awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation for its actions during the strategic bombing campaign against Japan.
It became part of Strategic Air Command (SAC) during the Cold War, maintaining a portion of its strength on alert. It frequently deployed a portion of the unit to support SAC operations, including combat operations in Southeast Asia. Members of the squadron participated Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. In 1991 it transferred to Air Combat Command as the United States Air Force reassigned and combined units to maintain a single wing on each base. It continued to support contingency operations after transferring to Air Mobility Command until it was inactivated in 2007.
Today, the squadron operates the Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker aircraft conducting air refueling missions worldwide as an active component of the Air Force’s first Integrated Wing, flying the aircraft of the reserve 916th Air Refueling Wing.
|911th Air Refueling Squadron
The 911th Air Refueling Squadron
|Active||1917–1919; 1923–1933; 1935–1946; 1958–2007; 2008 – present|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Mobility Command |
Eighteenth Air Force
6th Air Mobility Wing
6th Operations Group
|Garrison/HQ||Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina|
|Engagements||Pacific Ocean theater of World War II|
|Decorations||Distinguished Unit Citation |
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
911th Air Refueling Squadron emblem (approved 16 November 1994)
911th Air Refueling Squadron emblem (approved 24 July 1987)
Patch with old 911th Air Refueling Sq emblem
Patch with 411th Bombardment Squadron emblem (approved 7 August 1937)
The 911th Air Refueling Squadron traces its origins to early May 1917 when newly arrived recruits arrived at Kelly Field, Texas and were formed into 1st Company "B", 1st Regiment, Kelly Field. On 15 May these recruits became the 16th Aero Squadron. However, on 13 June it was redesignated as the 21st Aero Squadron.
When the first soldiers arrived at Kelly, there were no tents or cots for them so they slept on the ground. When the first tents arrived, the men were assigned locations for them and pitched them. The men received their indoctrination into the Army as soldiers, standing guard duty and other rudimentary duties. The lack of sanitary facilities and of uniforms meant most men worked in the civilian clothing they arrived in. They slept in them without bathing until latrines and washing facilities were constructed. The men dug ditches for water mains and erected wooden buildings for barracks. On 4 August, the squadron was ordered to proceed to Scott Field, near Belleville, Illinois, arriving on the 11th. There the squadron worked with the 11th Aero Squadron, preparing the field for training. Training was received in various aircraft engines, and the men were classified as mechanics.
In November the squadron received orders for overseas duty. However, an epidemic of sickness put the 21st into quarantine status. It remained quarantined until 21 December when it was cleared by the medical department to move to the Aviation Concentration Center, Garden City, Long Island, arriving on the 23d. It was not long before the squadron was ordered to proceed to the New York Port of Embarkation at Hoboken, New Jersey, where the squadron sailed for France on 4 January 1918, arriving at Saint-Nazaire on the 17th. After a few days at a rest camp, it traveled by train to the Air Service Replacement Concentration Center, located at the St. Maixent Replacement Barracks, arriving on 23 January. The 21st was classified as a school squadron, and was ordered to proceed to the 3d Aviation Instructional Center (3d AIC) at Issoudun Aerodrome. It arrived at Issoudun on 21 February.
The 3d Aviation Instruction Center was established by the Training Section, American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) to train pursuit (fighter) pilots prior to their assignment to combat on the front. The 21st Aero Squadron (School), was assigned to Issoudun Field #7, where Nieuport 28 aircraft were used for formation flying training. On 18 March, it moved to the main camp, where Fields #1, #2 and #3 were used for initial training in Nieuport 15s and 18s and 21s. When additional squadrons of mechanics arrived, the 21st concentrated at Field #3 and on maintaining the school's Nieuport 21s. The field strength grew until nearly 100 airplanes were in use, with solo flying, cross-country flying, and basic aerobatics being taught. The squadron handled all of these. The 21st's efficiency was commented on by the post commander when a record was established with 69 launches on one day, with several hundred hours of flying recorded. Training was given to many members of the pursuit squadrons of the First Army Air Service as they arrived in France; and beginning in August 1918, to new pilots for the planned Second Army Air Service as they began to arrive for training.
At the time of the Armistice on 11 November, the men of the 21st Aero Squadron remained on duty completing the training of the pilots assigned to Field #3. Although it did not enter combat, the unit trained the men who went to the front and gave them the best of training so they might accomplish their work.
The AEF was notoriously slow in returning men to the United States after the end of hostilities, and men who served on the front had priority over those who served in the rear areas. The 21st, therefore, remained at Issoudun until January 1919 when orders were received to proceed to the 1st Air Depot, Colombey-les-Belles Airdrome, France, for demobilization. From Colombey, the squadron moved to a staging camp under the Services of Supply at Bordeaux, waiting for a date to board a troop ship for transportation home. On 18 March, the squadron boarded a troop ship, arriving in New York on 5 April. From there, the 21st moved to Hazelhurst Field, New York where the men were demobilized and returned to civilian life. The 21st Aero Squadron itself was demobilized on 14 April.
On 24 March 1923, the 21st Aero Squadron was reconstituted as the 21st Observation Squadron of the United States Army Air Service. The Army activated the unit as a "Regular Army Inactive" squadron, meaning that although it was a Regular Army unit, it was manned with reserve personnel. It was assigned to the 9th Observation Group in the Sixth Corps Area. The 21st's designated Active Associate unit was the 15th Observation Squadron, at Chanute Field, Illinois, which was also its designated mobilization station. In 1927 it was withdrawn from the Sixth Corps Area and reassigned to the Fourth Corps Area. Its designated mobilization station during this period was Carlstrom Field, Florida, a training field. In 1928, it was moved to the Eighth Corps Area at Dodd Field, Texas, which was also designated as its mobilization station. It was not organized at Dodd and it was disbanded on 1 October 1933.
The 21st Observation Squadron (Long Range Amphibian) was activated on 1 March 1935 at Bolling Field, District of Columbia and was assigned to the 2d Wing. In 1936 it was consolidated with the earlier 21st Observation Squadron. The 21st Observation Squadron flew light reconnaissance aircraft in support of Army maneuvers primarily in northern Virginia. The squadron operated land-based aircraft as well as amphibian seaplanes using the Potomac River for landings and takeoffs. In 1936 it moved to Langley Field, Virginia and was equipped with heavier attack aircraft as well as medium bombers.
The squadron was redesignated a long range reconnaissance squadron and received early model Boeing B-17C/D Flying Fortresses and Douglas B-18 Bolos in 1939. It moved to the 36th Street Airport, Miami, Florida, where it was attached to the Navy and began to fly Neutrality Patrol, sea search, and weather reconnaissance missions. It operated from several locations along the Atlantic Coast, flying coastal patrol missions. On 3 September 1941 it was attached to the 29th Bombardment Group at MacDill Field, Florida, flying antisubmarine patrols from various locations in south Florida over the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Straits along the Atlantic Coast.
On 1 February 1942, the 21st was finally assigned to the 29th Bombardment Group.[note 2] In June 1942, I Bomber Command took over the antisubmarine mission and the 21st became part of II Bomber Command. It was redesignated as the 411th Bombardment Squadron and moved to Gowen Field, Idaho. At Gowen, the squadron was an Operational Training Unit (OTU), first with Boeing B-17 Flying Fortresses and, after 1943, with Consolidated B-24 Liberators.
The OTU program involved the use of an oversized parent unit to provide cadres to "satellite groups" prior to their deployment overseas. In 1943, the squadron became a Replacement Training Unit (RTU). The RTU was also an oversized unit. but if focused on training individual pilots or aircrews. However, the Army Air Forces found that standard military units, based on relatively inflexible tables of organization, were proving less well adapted to the training mission. Accordingly, it adopted a more functional system in which each base was organized into a separate numbered unit, while the groups and squadrons acting as RTUs were disbanded or inactivated. This resulted in the 411th, along with other units at Gowen, being inactivated in April 1944 and being replaced by the 212th Army Air Forces Base Unit (Combat Crew Training School, Heavy).
The 411th Bombardment Squadron was activated the same day as a Boeing B-29 Superfortress squadron at Pratt Army Air Field, Kansas. However, a little over a month later, it was inactivated again as the Army Air Forces began to reorganize its very heavy bomber groups from four squadron units to three squadron units.
The squadron was activated again on 1 June 1944 as part of the new 502d Bombardment Group (Very Heavy), which was being organized at Davis-Monthan Field, Arizona. It began training with B-29s at Dalhart Army Air Field, Texas. In September, the air echelon deployed to Orlando Army Air Base in Florida for a concentrated course on very heavy bombardment tactics, while the ground echelon preceded it to its new training base at Grand Island Army Air Field, Nebraska where the squadron prepared for overseas deployment.
After completing training the squadron deployed to the central Pacific and became part of XXI Bomber Command at Northwest Field (Guam) for operational missions. The mission of the squadron was the strategic bombardment of the Japanese Home Islands. It entered combat on 30 June 1945 with a bombing raid against enemy installations on Rota. It bombed Truk in early July. It flew its first mission against the Japanese home islands on 15 July 1945 against the oil refinery at Kudamatsu and afterwards operated principally against the enemy's petroleum industry. The squadron earned a Distinguished Unit Citation for its attacks this month.
The 911th Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy was organized on 1 December 1958 at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina. The squadron was equipped with first generation Boeing KC-135A Stratotankers as part of the 4241st Strategic Wing, a dispersed Strategic Air Command (SAC) Cold War wing formed to spread SAC's Boeing B-52 Stratofortress heavy bombers over a larger number of bases, thus making it more difficult for the Soviet Union to knock out the entire fleet with a surprise first strike. The wing was equipped with the B-52G. Starting in 1960, one third of the squadron's aircraft were maintained on fifteen-minute alert, fully fueled and ready for combat to reduce vulnerability to a Soviet missile strike. This was increased to half the squadron's aircraft in 1962. The squadron flew worldwide training missions with the KC-135s. During 1959 it participated in tests to determine the compatibility of the KC-135 with the refueling systems of the North American F-100 Super Sabre, McDonnell F-101 Voodoo, Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, Republic F-105 Thunderchief and Douglas B-66 Destroyer aircraft.
In early 1960, the 4241st wing deployed its operational squadrons during the reconstruction of the Seymour Johnson runway and main taxiway. During this time the 911th operated from Goose Air Base in Labrador, Canada. That summer, the squadron supported the deployment of Nineteenth Air Force from Seymour Johnson to Clark Air Base, Philippines in Exercise Mobile Yoke. In 1961 a crew from the squadron was named the top refueling crew in SAC during the annual combat competition.
The squadron transferred to the 68th Bombardment Wing in April 1963 when SAC replaced its Major Command controlled MAJCON strategic wings with wings carrying the honors of World War II organizations. The squadron periodically deployed to support the Eielson and Spanish Tanker Task Forces.
Beginning on 1 May 1972, the 911th deployed to Andersen Air Force Base, Guam and was attached to the Strategic Wing, Provisional, 72. Its mission was to support B-52 long-range air strikes over Southeast Asia with air refueling. It remained at Andersen supporting that mission until withdrawn in July 1973, returning to Seymour Johnson.
On 19 September 1985 the 911th was consolidated with the 411th Bombardment Squadron, giving the squadron a lineage and history dating to May 1917. The same year, the squadron traded in its KC-135As and received McDonnell Douglas KC-10 Extenders. Peacetime training missions continued until October 1989 when it supported tactical air operations as part of Operation Just Cause, the United States invasion of Panama. During the 1991 Gulf War, aircraft and crews from the squadron deployed to Lajes The Azores; Rota and Zaragoza and were attached to the 1709th Air Refueling Wing (Provisional). It operated from 31 December 1990 until March 1991 from its forward deployed base, then returned to Seymour Johnson.
On 22 April 1991, the squadron was transferred to the 4th Operations Group of Tactical Air Command (TAC) at Seymour Johnson, becoming part of the composite 4th Wing when the Air Force began to organize composite wings, which called for one wing on a base, was implemented there. With the inactivation of SAC and TAC in June 1992, Air Combat Command began to transfer its air refueling assets to Air Mobility Command and the 911th was reassigned to the 319th Operations Group at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota as the fourth tanker squadron of the 319th Air Refueling Wing, which became a "super tanker wing."  The squadron's KC-10s were left behind and transferred to the newly activated 711th Air Refueling Squadron and the 911th converted to the KC-135R Stratotanker.
With the 319th. the squadron deployed KC-135Rs and crews to support tanker activities in Operation Deny Flight, the United Nations no-fly zone over Bosnia and Herzegovina; Operation Uphold Democracy, the United Nations action to remove the military junta and restore the elected president of Haiti; and Operation Constant Vigil from Howard Air Force Base in Panama. In 1996, the squadron was awarded the Spaatz Trophy for being the best air refueling squadron in Air Mobility Command during 1995. In 1997 members of the squadron deployed to Incirlik Air Base, Turkey to support Operation Northern Watch the Southwest Asia Task Force operation to monitor and control airspace in northern Iraq. From June through August 2000 the squadron moved its operations to MacDill Air Force Base, Florida while the runways at Grand Forks were being repaired.
After the 11 September 2001 attacks, the 911th contributed personnel and aircraft to the 319th Air Expeditionary Group. It was deployed to a makeshift tent city somewhere in the arid desert of Southwest Asia. From the start of air operations over Afghanistan 7 October to 2 November 2001 the 319th had flown over 150 sorties and more than 1050 hours; pumping over 1.4 million US gallons (5,300 m3) of gas into more than 450 planes. The squadron remained in a partially deployed state, supporting Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom throughout the 2000s. Implementing the recommendations of the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission, the 911th was inactivated on 30 June 2007.
The 911th Air Refueling Squadron was reactivated on 12 April 2008 at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base as a geographically separated unit, the second KC-135 squadron of the 6th Air Mobility Wing at MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. With its return to its long-time base at Seymour Johnson, the squadron became an "Active Associate" unit, partnering with the Air Force Reserve 77th Air Refueling Squadron of the 916th Air Refueling Wing. The 911th was the first tanker active associate unit to be formed and this reversed the roles of the units during the 1980s when the 916th wing (then a group) was an affiliate of the 911th. The 77th received an additional eight airplanes for it to operate with the 911th. Today, the 77th shares its KC-135R/T aircraft with the 911th Air Refueling Squadron and personnel operating between the two squadrons. The squadron won its second Spaatz Trophy as an associate unit.
|Distinguished Unit Citation||6 July 1945 – 13 July 1945 Japan||411th Bombardment Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 July 1965 – 30 June 1966||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 July 1985 – 30 June 1987||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||26 April 1989 – 1 April 1991||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||23 April 1991 – 31 May 1993||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 October 1993 – 30 June 1995||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 June 1994 – 31 October 1994||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 July 1995 – 30 June 1997||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 July 2000 – 30 June 2002||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 July 2002 – 30 June 2004||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 July 2004 – 30 June 2005||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 July 2005 – 30 June 2006||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 July 2006 – 30 June 2007||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Theater of Operations||23 January 1918 – 1919||21st Aero Squadron|
|Antisubmarine||January 1942-25 June 1942||21st Reconnaissance Squadron (later 411th Bombardment Squadron)|
|American Theater without inscription||7 December 1941 – 7 April 1945||21st Reconnaissance Squadron (later 411th Bombardment Squadron)|
|Air Offensive, Japan||12 May 1945 – 2 September 1945||411th Bombardment Squadron|
|Eastern Mandates||unknown||411th Bombardment Squadron|
|Western Pacific||12 May 1945 – 2 September 1945||411th Bombardment Squadron|
|Defense of Saudi Arabia||2 August 1990 – 16 January 1991||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
|Liberation and Defense of Kuwait||17 January 1991 – 11 April 1991||911th Air Refueling Squadron|
21st Reconnaissance Squadron may refer to:
The 911th Air Refueling Squadron, designated the 21st Reconnaissance Squadron (Long Range) from December 1939 to November 1940 and the 21st Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) from November 1940 to April 1942.
The 21st Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron, designated the 21st Reconnaissance Squadron (Bomber) from April 1943 to August 1943.
The 921st Air Refueling Squadron, designated the 21st Reconnaissance Squadron, Photographic from October 1947 to June 1949.319th Air Base Wing
The 319th Air Base Wing is a United States Air Force unit assigned to the Air Combat Command. It is stationed at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota. The wing is the host unit at Grand Forks.
The wing was one of only three "super tanker" wings in the United States Air Force.
The 319th Air Base Wing is commanded by Colonel Benjamin Spencer. Its Command Chief Master Sergeant is Chief Master Sergeant Todd R. Krulcik.319th Operations Group
The 319th Operations Group is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was activated as the flying component of the 319th Air Refueling Wing in 1991 when the wing reorganized under the Objective Wing plan at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota. In addition to managing air refueling unis at Grand Forks, the group frequently deployed elements to Southwest Asia, occasionally being the major force provider for the 319th Air Expeditionary Group. The group was inactivated with the end of manned flying operations at Grand Forks in December 2010.
The group was first activated during World War II as the 319th Bombardment Group, the first Martin B-26 Marauder group in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO) during the war. The group received two Distinguished Unit Citations during the war. In 1945, the group was re-equipped with the North American B-25 Mitchell in combat in the MTO before returning to the US to transition to the Douglas A-26 Invader. After retraining the group deployed to Okinawa, where it flew combat missions over China as part of Seventh Air Force against Imperial Japanese forces until the war's end. One of the original Mercury Seven astronauts, Deke Slayton, flew A-26s from Okinawa as a part of the group's 438th Bombardment Squadron in 1945.
The group was reactivated in the reserve in December 1946. It does not appear to have been fully manned or equipped, and when mobilized in 1951 for the Korean War, its personnel were used to man other units and the group was inactivated. It again became part of the reserve force in 1955 as the 319th Fighter-Bomber Group, but was inactivated in 1957, when the reserves converted to the troop carrier mission. It remained inactive until 1991.4th Fighter Wing
The 4th Fighter Wing is a United States Air Force unit assigned to the Air Combat Command Ninth Air Force. It is stationed at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina, where it is also the host unit.
The wing is one of two Air Force units that can trace its history to another country. The wing's 4th Operations Group had its origins as the Royal Air Force Eagle Squadrons (Nos. 71, 121 and 133 Squadrons). When the United States entered World War II, these units, and the American pilots in them, were transferred to the United States Army Air Forces VIII Fighter Command, forming the 4th Fighter Group on 12 September 1942.
The 4th Fighter Group was the first fighter group to use belly tanks, the first to penetrate Germany, the first to accompany bombers to Berlin, the first to accomplish the England-to-Russia shuttle and the first to down jet fighters. The group was credited with the destruction of 1,016 (including strafing kills) enemy aircraft, more than any other American fighter unit, and produced 38 aces.
The current commander of the 4th Fighter Wing is Colonel Donn Yates4th Operations Group
The 4th Operations Group (4 OG) is the flying component of the 4th Fighter Wing, assigned to the United States Air Force Air Combat Command. The group is stationed at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina.
The 4 OG is a direct descendant of the World War II 4th Fighter Group, the United States Army Air Forces VIII Fighter Command unit formed from the members of the Royal Air Force (RAF) Eagle Squadrons. These fighter squadrons of the Royal Air Force formed prior to the United States entry into World War II with volunteer pilots from the United States.
When the United States entered the war these units, and the American pilots in them, were transferred to the United States Eighth Air Force, with the RAF Nos. 71, 121, and 133 Squadrons becoming the 334th, 335th and 336th Fighter Squadrons of the 4th Fighter Group, 65th Fighter Wing of the VIII Fighter Command.
Today, the 4 OG consists of two operational fighter squadrons, the 335th and 336th; two fighter training squadrons, the 333d and 334th; and two support squadrons. The group provides command and control for two operational F-15E Strike Eagle squadrons and is responsible for conducting the Air Force's only F-15E training operation, qualifying crews to serve in worldwide combat-ready positions.53rd Electronic Warfare Group
The 53d Electronic Warfare Group is a component unit of the 53d Wing of the Air Force Warfare Center, Air Combat Command, headquartered at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.
The group is a non-flying unit responsible for providing operational, technical and maintenance electronic warfare expertise for the Combat Air Force (CAF) and for systems engineering, testing, evaluation, tactics development, employment, capability and technology assessment. This includes the wartime responsibility for emergency reprogramming and dissemination of Electronic Warfare (EW) system mission data software for CAF aircraft. The group manages the Combat Shield Electronic Warfare Assessment Program for CAF aircraft EW systems. Combat Shield provides operational units a system-specific capability assessment for their radar warning receivers, electronic attack pods, and integrated EW systems.
Established in 1941, the unit traces its lineage and heritage the 68th Strategic Reconnaissance Group; the 68th Air Refueling Group; the 68th Bombardment Wing, Heavy, and the 68th Electronic Combat Group6th Air Mobility Wing
The United States Air Force's 6th Air Mobility Wing is the host wing for MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. It is part of Air Mobility Command's (AMC) Eighteenth Air Force. The wing's 6th Operations Group is a successor organization of the 3d Observation Group, one of the seven original combat air groups formed by the United States Army Air Service shortly after the end of World War I.The 6th Air Mobility Wing provides day-to-day mission support to more than 3,000 personnel along with more than 50 mission partners, including the United States Central Command and United States Special Operations Command. It is a force capable of rapidly projecting air refueling power anywhere in the world. The 6 AMW is organized into four unique groups and three operational flying squadrons to carry out its mission to be provide air refueling, airlift, and air base support.6th Operations Group
The 6th Operations Group (6 OG) is the operational flying component of the 6th Air Mobility Wing, stationed at MacDill Air Force Base, Florida.
The mission of the 6th OG is the planning and executing global aerial refueling, combatant commander airlift, and specialized missions for US and allied combat and support aircraft. The group extends US global power and global reach through employment of a mix of KC-135R and C-37 aircraft.
The 6th Operations Group is a successor organization of the 6th Group (Composite), one of the 15 original combat air groups formed by the Army before World War II. During World War II, the 6th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy), was a B-29 Superfortress group assigned to Twentieth Air Force flying bombardment operations against Japan. Its aircraft were identified by a "R" inside a Circle painted on the tail.822d Air Division
The 822d Air Division is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with Strategic Air Command (SAC) at Turner Air Force Base, Georgia, where it was inactivated on 2 September 1966.
The division was formed to command four strategic wings that were formed in the Southeastern United States as part of SAC's program to disperse its B-52 force to minimize attrition from a possible Soviet first strike. Once the division's wings were organized and equipped, they maintained a portion of their aircraft on airborne and ground alert. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, all combat aircraft of the division were placed on increased alert status. In addition to its SAC mission, the division's wing at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida was involved in testing armament for the Boeing B-52 Stratofortress.
The division was inactivated in 1966 as SAC began to withdraw its older B-52s from operational service.823d Air Division
The 823d Air Division is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with Strategic Air Command (SAC)'s Second Air Force at McCoy Air Force Base, Florida, where it was inactivated on 30 June 1971.
The division was first activated in June 1956 at Homestead Air Force Base, Florida to command the two Boeing B-47 Stratojet wings stationed there when the 19th Bombardment Wing moved to Homestead to join the 379th Bombardment Wing. Each wing deployed to Morocco in 1957, and continued to maintain a portion of their aircraft on alert in Morocco in Operation Reflex as long as they flew the B-47.
In 1961, after the 379th Wing at Homestead inactivated and the 19th Wing had begun its conversions to the Boeing B-52 Stratofortress, the wing became a multibase division, assuming command of the 2d, 306th and 321st Bombardment Wings at bases in Florida and Georgia. By 1963, these wings had either converted to the B-52 or been reassigned. Other wings stationed in Georgia, North Carolina and Puerto Rico and flying the B-52 were assigned to the division before it was inactivated.
The division's wings maintained half their combat ready aircraft on alert, except when their aircraft or aircrews were deployed. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, all combat ready aircraft were on ground or airborne alert, although the wings in Florida deployed to other stations as their bases were needed for shorter range tactical and air defense aircraft. Beginning in 1965, division B-52s began to deploy to the Pacific, where they flew Operation Arc Light missions, while its tankers supported Arc Light and tactical aircraft as part of the Young Tiger Task Force.
The division moved to McCoy Air Force Base in July 1968, when command of Homestead was transferred from SAC to Tactical Air Command. It continued to maintain aircraft on alert and deployed aircraft to Southeast Asia until June 1971, when it was inactivated and replaced by the 42d Air Division, which took over its resources and dispersed wings.916th Air Refueling Wing
The 916th Air Refueling Wing is an Air Reserve Component (ARC) of the United States Air Force. It is assigned to the Fourth Air Force, Air Force Reserve Command, stationed at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina. If mobilized, the Wing is gained by the Air Mobility Command.
The wing is scheduled to start flying the KC-46A Pegasus starting in 2019.Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker
The Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker is a military aerial refueling aircraft. Both the KC-135 and the Boeing 707 airliner were developed from the Boeing 367-80 prototype. It is the predominant variant of the C-135 Stratolifter family of transport aircraft. The KC-135 was the US Air Force's first jet-powered refueling tanker and replaced the KC-97 Stratofreighter. The KC-135 was initially tasked with refueling strategic bombers, but was used extensively in the Vietnam War and later conflicts such as Operation Desert Storm to extend the range and endurance of US tactical fighters and bombers.
The KC-135 entered service with the United States Air Force (USAF) in 1957; it is one of six military fixed-wing aircraft with over 50 years of continuous service with its original operator. The KC-135 is supplemented by the larger KC-10. Studies have concluded that many of the aircraft could be flown until 2040, although maintenance costs have greatly increased. The KC-135 is to be partially replaced by the Boeing KC-46 Pegasus.List of American aero squadrons
This is a partial list of original Air Service, United States Army "Aero Squadrons" before and during World War I. Units formed after 1 January 1919 are not listed.
Aero Squadrons were the designation of the first United States Army aviation units until the end of World War I. These units consisted of combat flying, training, ground support, construction and other components of the Air Service. After World War I ended, the majority of these squadrons were demobilized. Some however were retained during the interwar period of the 1920s and 1930s, and served in all theaters of operation during World War II. Today, the oldest squadrons in the United States Air Force and Air National Guard can trace their lineage back to the original Aero Squadrons of World War I.List of United States Air Force air refueling squadrons
This is a list of United States Air Force air refueling squadrons.List of United States Air Force bomb squadrons
This is a list of United States Air Force Bomb Squadrons. It covers all squadrons that were constituted or redesignated as bombardment squadron sometime during their active service. Today Bomb Squadrons are considered to be part of the Combat Air Force (CAF) along with fighter squadrons. Units in this list are assigned to nearly every Major Command in the United States Air Force. All the active Bomb Squadrons are in Bold.MacDill Air Force Base
MacDill Air Force Base (MacDill AFB) (IATA: MCF, ICAO: KMCF, FAA LID: MCF) is an active United States Air Force installation located 4 miles (6.4 km) south-southwest of downtown Tampa, Florida.
The "host wing" for MacDill AFB is the 6th Air Mobility Wing (6 AMW), assigned to the Eighteenth Air Force (18AF) of the Air Mobility Command (AMC). The 6 AMW is commanded by Colonel Stephen Snelson.Susan Y. Desjardins
Major General Susan Y. Desjardins is the Director, Plans and Policy (J5), Headquarters U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
|Numbered Air Forces|
Strategic Air Command (SAC)