The arrondissement, called Luxembourg, is situated on the left bank of the River Seine. It includes world-famous educational institutions such as the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts and the Académie française, the seat of the French Senate as well as a concentration of some of Paris's most famous monuments such as Saint-Germain Abbey and square, St. Sulpice Church and square, the Pont des Arts, and the Jardin du Luxembourg.
This central arrondissement, which includes the historic districts of Saint-Germain-des-Prés (surrounding the Abbey founded in the 6th century) and Luxembourg (surrounding the Palace and its Gardens), has played a major role throughout Paris history and is well known for its café culture and the revolutionary intellectualism (see: existentialism, Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir) and literature (see: Paul Éluard, Boris Vian, Albert Camus, Françoise Sagan) it has hosted.
With its world-famous cityscape, deeply rooted intellectual tradition, prestigious history, beautiful architecture, and central location, the arrondissement has long been home to French intelligentsia. It is a major locale for art galleries, fashion stores  and one of the most fashionable districts of Paris as well as Paris' most expensive area. The arrondissement is one of France's richest district in terms of average income, it is part of Paris Ouest alongside the 7th, 8th, 16th arrondissements, and Neuilly, but has a much more bohemian and intellectual reputation than the others.
6th arrondissement of Paris
The "Deux Magots" cafe
Paris and its closest suburbs
|• Mayor||Jean-Pierre Lecoq|
|• Total||2.15 km2 (0.83 sq mi)|
(8 March 1999 census)[p]
| • Estimate |
|• Density||21,000/km2 (54,000/sq mi)|
|^[p] Population sans doubles comptes: single count of residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel).|
The current 6th arrondissement, dominated by the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés—founded in the 6th century—was the heart of the Catholic Church power in Paris for centuries, hosting many religious institutions.
In 1612, Queen Marie de Médicis bought an estate in the district and commissioned architect Salomon de Brosse to transform it into the outstanding Luxembourg Palace surrounded by extensive royal gardens. The new Palace turned the neighborhood into a fashionable district for French nobility.
Since the 1950s, the arrondissement, with its many higher education institutions, world-famous cafés (Café de Flore, Les Deux Magots, La Palette etc.) and publishing houses (Gallimard, Julliard, Grasset etc.) has been the home of much of the major post-war intellectual and literary movements and some of most influential in history such as surrealism, existentialism and modern feminism.
The land area of the arrondissement is 2.154 km² (0.832 sq. miles, or 532 acres).
The arrondissement attained its peak population in 1911 when the population density reached nearly 50,000 inhabitants per km². In 1999, the population was 44,919 inhabitants while the arrondissement provided 43,691 jobs.
The 6th and 7th arrondissements are the most expensive districts of Paris, the most expensive parts of the 6th arrondissement being Saint-Germain-des-Prés quarter, the River side districts and the areas nearby the Luxembourg Garden.
(of French censuses)
(inh. per km²)
|1911 (peak of population)||102,993||47,815|
Lipp is a brasserie located at 151 Boulevard Saint-Germain in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. It sponsors an annual literary prize, the Prix Cazes, named for a previous owner.Gare de Port-Royal
Port-Royal is a railway station on the RER B in Paris, France. It is situated on the border of 5th and 6th arrondissement of Paris, and named after the convent of Port-Royal.Gare du Luxembourg (Paris RER)
Luxembourg is an RER station in Paris, France. It is situated on the border of 5th and 6th arrondissement of Paris.Hôtel Lutetia
The Hôtel Lutetia, located at 45 Boulevard Raspail, in the Saint-Germain-des-Prés area of the 6th arrondissement of Paris, is one of the best-known hotels on the Left Bank. It is noted for its architecture and its historical role during the German occupation of France in World War II.Hôtel de Vendôme
The Hôtel de Vendôme is a hôtel particulier, a type of large townhouse of France, designed by Jean-Baptiste Alexandre Le Blond and completed in 1707.Jardin du Luxembourg
The Jardin du Luxembourg, also known in English as the Luxembourg Gardens, is located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, France. It was created beginning in 1612 by Marie de' Medici, the widow of King Henry IV of France, for a new residence she constructed, the Luxembourg Palace. The garden today is owned by the French Senate, which meets in the Palace. It covers 23 hectares and is known for its lawns, tree-lined promenades, flowerbeds, model sailboats on its circular basin, and picturesque Medici Fountain, built in 1620.. The name Luxembourg comes from the Latin Mons Lucotitius, the name of the hill where the garden is located.Latin Quarter, Paris
The Latin Quarter of Paris (French: Quartier latin, IPA: [kaʁtje latɛ̃]) is an area in the 5th and the 6th arrondissements of Paris. It is situated on the left bank of the Seine, around the Sorbonne.
Known for its student life, lively atmosphere, and bistros, the Latin Quarter is the home to a number of higher education establishments besides the university itself, such as the École Normale Supérieure, the École des Mines de Paris, Panthéon-Assas University, the Schola Cantorum, and the Jussieu university campus. Other establishments such as the École Polytechnique have relocated in recent times to more spacious settings.
The area gets its name from the Latin language, which was widely spoken in and around the University during the Middle Ages, after the twelfth century philosopher Pierre Abélard and his students took up residence there.Lycée Carcado-Saisseval
The lycée Carcado-Saisseval is a Catholic private school in Paris
It is located at 121 boulevard Raspail (6th arrondissement of Paris).Lycée Montaigne (Paris)
The Lycée Montaigne is a famous French public secondary school. It is located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, near the Jardin du Luxembourg, and was founded in the 1880s.
The school currently has around 800 pupils at the Collège level, and 1,000 pupils at the Lycée level. The school also offers classes préparatoires for 150 pupils. The lycée has science (S), literature (L) and economics (ES) sections. The classes préparatoires are specialized in economics (ECE and ECS).
It also has two international sections, in Portuguese and Polish.Lycée Saint-Louis
The lycée Saint-Louis is a post-secondary school located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, in the Latin Quarter. It is the only public French lycée exclusively dedicated to classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles (CPGE, the preparatory classes for the Grandes Écoles such as Ecole Polytechnique, Centrale Paris, ESSEC Business School or HEC Paris). It is known for the quality of its teaching and the results it achieves in their intensely competitive entrance examinations (concours).Musée du Luxembourg
The Musée du Luxembourg is a museum at 19 rue de Vaugirard in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. Established in 1750, it was initially an art museum located in the east wing of the Luxembourg Palace (the matching west wing housed Ruben's Marie de' Medici cycle) and in 1818 became the first museum of contemporary art. In 1884 the museum moved into its current building, the former orangery of the Palace. The museum was taken over by the French Ministry of Culture and the French Senate in 2000, when it began to be used for temporary exhibitions, and became part of the Réunion des Musées Nationaux in 2010.Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe
For other theatres with this name, see Odeon
The Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe (formerly the Théâtre de l'Odéon) is one of France's six national theatres.
It is located at 2 rue Corneille in the 6th arrondissement of Paris on the left bank of the Seine, next to the Luxembourg Garden. It was originally built between 1779 and 1782, in the garden of the former Hôtel de Condé, to a Neoclassical design by Charles De Wailly and Marie-Joseph Peyre. The Odéon was originally intended to house the Comédie Française, which, however, preferred to stay at the Théâtre-Français in the Palais Royal. The new theatre was inaugurated by Marie-Antoinette on April 9, 1782. It was there that Beaumarchais' play The Marriage of Figaro was premiered two years later.
An 1808 reconstruction of the theater designed by Jean Chalgrin (architect of the Arc de Triomphe) was officially named the Théâtre de l'Impératrice, but everyone still called it the Odéon. It burned in 1818.
The third and present structure, designed by Pierre Thomas Baraguay, was opened in September 1819. In 1990, the theater was given the sobriquet 'Théâtre de l'Europe'. It is a member theater of the Union of the Theatres of Europe.Odéon (Paris Métro)
Odéon is a station on lines 4 and 10 of the Paris Métro in the 6th arrondissement in the heart of the Left Bank.
The station was opened on 9 January 1910 as part of the connecting section of the line under the Seine between Châtelet and Raspail. The line 10 platforms opened on 14 April 1926 as part of the line's extension from Mabillon. It was the eastern terminus of the line until its extension to Place d'Italie (now on line 7) on 15 February 1930. Named after the nearby Odéon theatre, the station is located under the Carrefour de l'Odéon, in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. The platforms on Line 4 were opened on 9 January 1910 and the platforms on Line 10 were opened on 14 February 1926.
The Luxembourg Palace is nearby.Paris Descartes University
Paris Descartes University (French: Université Paris 5 René Descartes), also known as Paris V, is a French public research university located in Paris.
It is one of the inheritors of the University of Paris (often referred as the Sorbonne), which ceased to exist in 1970. It is a member of the Sorbonne Paris Cité University (USPC) group.
It was established as a multidisciplinary university "of humanities and health sciences" ("des Sciences de l’Homme et de la Santé". It focuses in the areas of medical sciences, biomedical sciences, law, computer science, economics and psychology.Its main campus is in the historic École de Chirurgie in the 6th arrondissement of Paris.Petit Luxembourg
The Petit Luxembourg ("Little Luxembourg") is a French hôtel particulier, currently the residence of the president of the French Senate. It is located at 17–17 bis, rue de Vaugirard, just west of the Luxembourg Palace, which currently serves as the seat of the Senate, in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. Originally built around 1550 to the designs of an unknown architect, it is especially noted for the surviving Rococo interiors designed in 1710–1713 by the French architect Germain Boffrand. Further west, at 19 rue de Vaugirard, is the Musée du Luxembourg.Place Saint-Michel
The Place Saint-Michel is a public square in the Latin Quarter, on the borderline between the fifth and sixth arrondissements of Paris, France. It lies on the left bank of the river Seine facing the Île de la Cité, to which it is linked by the Pont Saint-Michel.Rue Bonaparte
Rue Bonaparte is a street in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. It spans the Quai Voltaire/Quai Malaquais to the Jardin du Luxembourg, crossing the Place Saint-Germain-des-Prés and the place Saint-Sulpice and has housed many of France's most famous names and institutions as well as other well-known figures from abroad. The street runs through the heart of the fashionable Left Bank and is characterised by a number of 'hôtels particuliers' (grand townhouses) and elegant apartment buildings as well as being bounded by the river at one end and the park at the other. With fifteen buildings or monuments classified as Monument Historique, it has more such listed sites than any other street in the 6th arrondissement.
Rue Bonaparte also has many literary associations and contains a number of bookshops, antiquarian booksellers, publishers and art galleries. Its architecture and location have made it one of Paris' most historic and sought-after residential addresses.Rue de Vaugirard
Rue de Vaugirard is the longest street inside Paris' walls, at 4.3 km (2.7 mi). It spans the 6th and 15th arrondissements.Théâtre du Vieux-Colombier
The Théâtre du Vieux-Colombier is a theatre located at 21, rue du Vieux-Colombier, in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. It was founded in 1913 by the theatre producer and playwright Jacques Copeau. Today it is one of the three theatres in Paris used by the Comédie-Française.
In May 1944 it saw the première of Jean-Paul Sartre's existentialist drama Huis Clos.