The 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army. The regiment was created as the 2nd Battalion, 11th Regiment of Foot in 1756, redesignated as the 64th Regiment of Foot in 1758, and took a county title as the 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot in 1782. Following the Cardwell Reforms the regiment amalgamated with the 98th (Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Foot to become The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment) in 1881. In the new regiment the 64th Foot became the 1st Battalion due to its seniority over the 98th Foot.
Although the 64th Foot fought in many of the major conflicts of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, it was normally in the more minor theatres of these conflicts. During the Seven Years' War it served in the West Indies; in the Napoleonic Wars, its role was limited, again, to the West Indies and South America. In the mid-19th century, it fought in the Anglo-Persian War and the Indian Rebellion of 1857, where one of its soldiers was awarded the Victoria Cross.
|64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot|
|Active||10 December 1756–1 July 1881|
|Disbanded||1881, amalgamated with 98th Foot to become The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire) Regiment|
|Country|| Kingdom of Great Britain (1756–1800)|
United Kingdom (1801–1881)
|Garrison/HQ||Whittington Barracks, Staffordshire|
|Nickname(s)||The Black Knots|
|Engagements||Seven Years' War, American War of Independence, Napoleonic Wars, Anglo-Persian War, Indian Rebellion|
|Battle honours||Guadeloupe 1759; Martinique 1794; St Lucia 1803; Surinam; Reshire; Bushire; Koosh-Ab; Persia; Lucknow|
The formation of the 64th Foot was prompted by the expansion of the army as a result of the commencement of the Seven Years' War. On 25 August 1756 it was ordered that a number of existing regiments should raise a second battalion; among those chosen was the 11th Regiment of Foot. The 2nd Battalion of the 11th Foot was raised at Southampton on 10 December 1756 before moving to Newcastle upon Tyne. On 21 April 1758 the War Office ordered that the 2nd battalions raised two years previously should be become independent regiments in their own right and on that day the 2nd Battalion 11th Foot became the 64th Foot. Shortly after King George II ordered that the dates of seniority of the 64th Foot and the other regiments created on 21 April 1758 should be backdated to the date of their raising as 2nd battalions, therefore the date seniority of the 64th Foot became 1756. The first colonel of the regiment was the Honourable John Barrington and it was he who decided that the facings of the 64th Foot should be black.
Almost immediately after becoming the 64th Foot, the regiment was sent to the West Indies. Upon arrival, in 1759, it took part in the unsuccessful attempt to take Martinique and then in the successful invasion of Guadeloupe. Participation in this action earned the regiment its first battle honour Guadaloupe 1759, though this honour was not actually awarded until 1909. The regiment returned to England in June 1759 severely reduced in numbers by men drafted to other units and by tropical disease. On arrival at Portsmouth only 137 other ranks out of an establishment strength of 790 were fit for duty, though officer strength was almost up to strength. Recovery took a long time and after a brief period in Suffolk the regiment spent three years in the Scottish Highlands and five years in Ireland before sailing for North America in 1768.
The first posting for the 64th in America was Boston, at the time a centre of discontent and an unhappy posting as a result. In 1770 the regiment moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia but in 1772 returned to Boston being stationed at Castle William.
As unrest grew the 64th took place in an incident which lays a claim to the first blood of the American War of Independence being shed in Salem, Massachusetts. On 26 February 1775 a supply of weapons and ammunition was known to be in Salem. The 64th, under their commander Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Leslie, were ordered to seize the weapons. American patriots in Salem were forewarned and tried to prevent the 64th from carrying out their orders. In the scuffle that ensued a local Salem man, Joseph Whicher, was slightly injured by a British bayonet. Negotiations prevented any further bloodshed and the 64th withdrew to Boston, their mission a failure.
On the outbreak of hostilities in April 1775, the 64th was still stationed at Castle William and remained there as the garrison throughout the Siege of Boston. Consequently, the regiment did not take part in the Battle of Bunker Hill. When, in March 1776, the British abandoned Boston, the 64th were the last regiment to depart for Halifax, giving them the distinction of being the last British unit to set foot in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts during the war.
Following the reorganisation of the army the 64th, like most regiments, found itself without its flank (grenadier and light infantry) companies which had been detached to form part of the 2nd Grenadier and 2nd Light Infantry Battalions respectively. All three battalions took part in the 1776 capture of New York and the 64th was engaged in the later Battle of Ridgefield.
In 1777 all three units participated in the Philadelphia campaign, taking part in the Battle of Brandywine, the Battle of Paoli and the Battle of Germantown. Remaining in Philadelphia over the winter and into 1778, the 64th and 2nd Grenadier Battalion formed part of the rearguard when Lieutenant-General Clinton evacuated the city in June 1778. Returning to New York, the 64th took part in several small operations. The Light company took part in the skirmish that became known as the Baylor Massacre.
November 1779 saw all the companies of the regiment being transferred to the Southern theatre of operations. In April 1780 the 64th was part of the covering force besieging Charleston, while the grenadier and light companies formed part of the main siege force. After the capture of Charleston, the grenadier and light companies were withdrawn to New York and as Major-General Cornwallis began to advance on Virginia, the 64th remained in Carolina as guard troops. In 1781 the 64th were involved in the Battle of Eutaw Springs and a year later in one of the last actions of the war, the Battle of the Combahee River. The grenadier company was reunited with the 64th but the light company was among the units that surrendered with Cornwallis at Yorktown.
In December 1782 the regiment left America for Jamaica. Back in England, a change occurred in army policy, to hopefully increase recruiting, infantry regiments were given additional territorial titles. The 64th became the 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Foot and began its long association with the city of Lichfield as the depot companies moved there and soon after began to wear the Staffordshire Knot on its uniform.
Following the defeat in America, the 64th remained in Jamaica for two years, returning to England in 1783. Four years later the regiment was stationed in Ireland, before sailing once more for the West Indies in 1793 at the outbreak of the Napoleonic Wars. At the end of the Seven Years' War both Martinique and Guadeloupe had been returned to France under the terms of the Treaty of Paris. From Barbados the 64th Foot took part in the invasion of Martinique in early 1794. As before the flank companies were detached from the rest of the regiment but all three elements were involved in the actions in Martinique. This short but successful campaign earned the regiment its second battle honour, Martinique 1794 —although as with the earlier Guadeloupe honour, it was not actually awarded until 1909.
The light and grenadier companies were involved in the capture, shortly afterwards, of St Lucia and the recapture of Guadeloupe. A short period as garrison duty followed and then the regiment returned to England, severely weakened by both losses in battle and sickness, mostly yellow fever. Sir Charles Grey, commander of the British forces in the West Indies, estimated that he had lost 5,000 out of 7,000 troops in less than six months.
Within months the 64th had returned to the West Indies for a campaign of seizing islands held by, variously, France, The Netherlands and Denmark. The first island to fall was the Franco-Dutch island of Saint Martin. This was followed by the Dutch island of St Eustatius and the Danish islands of Saint Thomas, Saint John and Saint Croix. With the signing of the Treaty of Amiens, which restored to France and its allies all territories conquered by the British, the 64th were withdrawn to Barbados. Peace did not last long and in 1803 war with France broke out again. The 64th was immediately in action being part of an expeditionary force that took St Lucia, earning the battle honour St Lucia 1803 — the award of this honour was more timely, it being awarded in 1818. The expedition continued onto the South American mainland with the capture of Dutch held Surinam in 1804. A fourth battle honour, Surinam, was awarded — again in 1818. Garrison duties kept the 64th in Surinam for the next nine years meaning that the regiment played no further part in the Napoleonic Wars.
A move to Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1813 found the 64th providing the funeral guard for James Lawrence, Captain of the USS Chesapeake after the capture of the Chesapeake. In 1815 the regiment returned to Europe to be sent to France as part of the Army of Occupation after the Battle of Waterloo.
It was to be 1856 before the regiment found itself on active service again. In the interim there had been a short spell in England, a long posting in Gibraltar, several years in Ireland, another six-year tour in the West Indies — where once again fever caused much suffering. These were followed by a short three-year tour in Canada which provided one item of note. On the voyage home two companies, under the command of Captain James Draper, and about 100 women and children were on board the barque Alert when the ship hit a reef about 100 miles out of Halifax. The ship was refloated but in a heavy sea was at risk of sinking and was taking on water. The master of the Alert decided that the only course of action was to beach the vessel but was worried that the ship was becoming top heavy as the troops and their families made for the upper deck. Captain Draper and the troops were persuaded to remain on the troop deck despite the rising water level. The ship was beached on an uninhabited island and all on board were later rescued. The Duke of Wellington Commander-in-chief of the British army directed that the story of Captain Draper's detachment be read out to every regiment and corps in the army as an example of the rewards of steadiness and discipline. The two companies were reunited with the rest of the regiment in England, serving in England and Ireland until being posted to India. Based here until 1856 it saw no active service despite being mobilised as part of a Reserve Field Force in Sindh in 1852.
War between Britain and Persia broke out in 1856 and the 64th, together with the 20th Bombay Native Infantry, formed the 1st Brigade in the expeditionary force assembled for the campaign. Landing in Persia in late November, the regiment took place in battles at Reshire and Bushire. In 1857 the force advanced inland and defeated the Persian field army at Koosh-Ab on 8 February 1857 while the flank companies were involved in action at Ahwaz. Although hostilities lasted for a little over three months, four battle honours were awarded; Reshire, Bushire, Koosh-Ab and Persia. The 64th were the only British regiment to be awarded all four.
Following the Persian campaign the 64th returned to India arriving in Bombay only two weeks after the first unrest had occurred in Meerut. The regiment was immediately ordered to take part in the Cawnpore relief force under Major-General Sir Henry Havelock. The relief force did not reach Cawnpore before the city fell under rebel control, a forced march was therefore ordered and the first clash with the rebel forces occurred at Fatehpur. From there a number of skirmishes took place until the force met with the rebels in a significant engagement at Ahwera on 16 July. It was for his actions in this battle that Lieutenant Henry Havelock of the 10th Foot was awarded the Victoria Cross. This award created considerable discontent within the 64th as the citation inferred that it was only due to Lt Havelock's actions that the regiment advanced and achieved its objectives. The matter was referred to Sir Colin Campbell, Commander in Chief, India who upheld the complaint raised and voiced strong criticism of staff officers — Havelock was serving as Aide-de-camp to his father — interfering with regimental officers doing their duty. The relief force entered Cawnpore on 17 July 1857. Subsequently, elements of the regiment played a small part in the relief of Lucknow but the majority of the regiment remained in Cawnpore and it was here that, on 28 November 1857, Drummer Thomas Flinn won the only Victoria Cross awarded to a member of the regiment for tackling two enemy artillerymen despite having been wounded himself. Subsequently, the regiment moved to Fatehgarh and remained there for the rest of the campaign until June 1859 when it returned to Bombay. A single battle honour Lucknow was awarded to the regiment.
On return from India in 1861, the regiment spent six years in England, moving to Malta in 1867, then Ireland in 1872. In 1874, as part of the Cardwell Reforms, line infantry battalions were linked in pairs, and the 64th formed a joint depot with the 98th (Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Foot at Limerick. The two regiments were assigned as district no. 20 with a new depot at Whittington Barracks, Staffordshire in 1880. Up to 1879 the 64th was stationed in various parts of the United Kingdom, often performing police duties. The regiment returned to Ireland in 1879, based at Templemore, County Tipperary and it was based here when it was formally amalgamated with the 98th to become the Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire) Regiment on 1 July 1881.
The regiment was renamed The North Staffordshire (The Prince of Wales's) Regiment in 1920. In 1959 the North Staffordshire and South Staffordshire Regiments amalgamated to form The Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's). In September 2007 The Staffordshire Regiment amalgamated with the Cheshire Regiment and the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment to form The Mercian Regiment, in which the Staffords became the 3rd (Staffordshire) Battalion.
The black facings worn by the 64th Foot are today commemorated by the use of black backing to chevrons and rank insignia by all Warrant Officers and Non-commissioned officers of the Mercian Regiment.
Battle honours awarded to the regiment were:
Colonels of the Regiment were:
64th Regiment or 64th Infantry Regiment may refer to:
Loudon's Highlanders, a unit of the British Army raised in 1745 and ranked as 64th Foot
64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot, a unit of the British Army
64th (Liverpool Irish) Lancashire Rifle Volunteer Corps, a unit of the British Territorial Army
64th (Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry) Anti-Tank Regiment, Royal Artillery, British Yeomanry unit
64th Armor Regiment, a unit of the US Army
64th Infantry Regiment (United States), a unit of the US ArmyAmerican Civil WarUnion (Northern) Army64th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment
64th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment
64th Ohio Infantry
64th United States Colored Infantry RegimentConfederate (Southern) Army64th Virginia Mounted Infantry64th Regiment of Foot (disambiguation)
Three regiments of the British Army have been numbered the 64th Regiment of Foot:
Loudon's Highlanders, raised in 1745 and ranked as 64th Foot
79th Regiment of Foot (1757), 64th Regiment of Foot, raised in 1757 and renumbered as the 79th
64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot, raised in 175898th (Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Foot
The 98th (Prince of Wales) Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army. It was originally raised in 1824 as the 98th Regiment of Foot, before assuming the title of the 98th (Prince of Wales) Regiment of Foot in 1876. Later, in 1881, following the Childers Reforms of the British Army, the regiment was amalgamated with the 64th Regiment of Foot to become the Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire) Regiment. As the 64th Foot was senior to the 98th, the 98th became the 2nd Battalion in the new regiment. Throughout the course of the regiment's existence it served mostly overseas in South Africa, China and India.Field marshal (United Kingdom)
Field Marshal has been the highest rank in the British Army since 1736. A five-star rank with NATO code OF-10, it is equivalent to an Admiral of the Fleet in the Royal Navy or a Marshal of the Royal Air Force in the Royal Air Force (RAF). A Field Marshal's insignia consists of two crossed batons surrounded by yellow leaves below St Edward's Crown. Like Marshals of the RAF and Admirals of the Fleet, Field Marshals traditionally remain officers for life, though on half-pay when not in an appointment. The rank has been used sporadically throughout its history and was vacant during parts of the 18th and 19th centuries (when all former holders of the rank were deceased). After the Second World War, it became standard practice to appoint the Chief of the Imperial General Staff (later renamed Chief of the General Staff) to the rank on his last day in the post. Army officers occupying the post of Chief of the Defence Staff, the professional head of all the British Armed Forces, were usually promoted to the rank upon their appointment.In total, 141 men have held the rank of field marshal. The majority led careers in the British Army or the British Indian Army, rising through the ranks to eventually become a field marshal. Some members of the British Royal Family—most recently Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, and Charles, Prince of Wales—were promoted to the rank after shorter periods of service. Three British monarchs—George V, Edward VIII, and George VI— assumed the rank on their accessions to the throne, while Edward VII was already a field marshal, and two British consorts—Albert, Prince Consort and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh—were appointed by their respective queens. Other ceremonial appointments were made as diplomatic gestures. Twelve foreign monarchs held the honour, though three (Wilhelm II, German Emperor; Franz Joseph I, Austrian Emperor; and Hirohito, Emperor of Japan) were stripped of it when their countries became enemies of Britain and her allies in the two world wars. Also awarded the rank were one Frenchman (Ferdinand Foch) and one Australian (Sir Thomas Blamey), honoured for their contributions to World War I and World War II respectively, and one foreign statesman (Jan Smuts).A report commissioned by the Ministry of Defence in 1995 made a number of recommendations for financial savings in the armed forces' budget, one of which was the abolition of the five-star ranks. Part of the rationale was that these ranks were disproportionate to the size of the forces commanded by these officers and that none of the United Kingdom's close allies, such as the United States (which reserves the rank of general of the army for officers who have commanded large armies in major wars), used such ranks. The recommendation was not taken up in full, but the practice of promoting service chiefs to five-star ranks was stopped and the ranks are now reserved for special circumstances. Sir Peter Inge was, in 1994, the last active officer to be promoted to the rank. Inge relinquished the post of Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS) in 1997 and his successor, Sir Charles Guthrie, was the first officer not to be promoted upon appointment as CDS.The most recent promotions to field marshal came in 2012, eighteen years after the moratorium on routine promotions to the rank, when Queen Elizabeth II promoted Prince Charles, her son and heir apparent, to the five-star ranks in all three services, in recognition of support provided for her in her capacity as Commander-in-Chief of the British Armed Forces. At the same time, Guthrie, who relinquished the post of CDS and retired from active service in 2001, was promoted to honorary field marshal. In June 2014 former Chief of the Defence Staff Lord Walker of Aldringham was also promoted to honorary field marshal.Although the rank of field marshal is not used in the Royal Marines, the insignia is used on the uniform of the Captain General, the ceremonial head of the corps (equivalent to colonel-in-chief).Henry Bloomfield (politician)
Lieutenant-General Henry Keane Bloomfield (born circa 1798, died 11 February 1870) was an English soldier and whilst serving in New South Wales an Australian politician.
He was a soldier, being first commissioned as an ensign in 1813 with the 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire) Regiment of Foot. He served at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 and received the Waterloo Medal, and in 1817 was promoted to lieutenant. In 1823 he transferred to the 11th Regiment of Foot. He was further promoted to captain in 1824, major in 1838 and lieutenant colonel in 1845. He became a brevet colonel in 1858.
In 1856, while in command of the army in New South Wales, he was appointed to the New South Wales Legislative Council, but he left the colony with his regiment in 1857.In 1867 he was given the colonelcy for life of the 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot and in 1868 made Lieutenant-General. Bloomfield died at 108 Jermyn Street, Piccadilly, London on 11 February 1870.Henry Wynyard
General Henry Wynyard (8 June 1761 – 3 April 1838) was a British Army officer who became Commander-in-Chief, Scotland.James Freeth
General Sir James Freeth KCB KH (1786 – 19 January 1867) was Quartermaster-General to the Forces.John Leland (politician)
John Leland (died 3 January 1808) was a General in the British Army and Member of Parliament serving in the House of Commons of Great Britain (later, the House of Commons of the United Kingdom) He was born the son of Ralph Leland of Dublin. He inherited Strood Park in Sussex from his mother's uncle.
He joined the Army and became a captain (1755) and then major (1762) in the 58th Foot. He transferred to the 1st Foot Guards and was a captain, lieutenant-colonel (1774) and brigadier-general (in America) (1779). He was made colonel of the soon to be disbanded 80th Regiment of Foot (Royal Edinburgh Volunteers) in 1783 and elevated to major-general in 1787. In 1790 he was awarded the colonelcy of the 64th Foot, promoted lieutenant-general in 1797 and made full general in 1802. He had been with General Wolfe at Quebec in 1759 and in the West Indies in 1762.He was elected to Parliament to represent the Stamford constituency from 1796 until his death in 1808. He was also Lieutenant-governor of Cork from 1796 until his death.
He died in 1808, having sold Strood Park. He had married Anne, daughter of Richard Upton, a ships master, but had no children.List of British Army Regiments (1800)
The Organization is as follows:
New Formed Regiment - from 1777 - to 1800List of British Army regiments (1881)
This is a list of British Army cavalry and infantry regiments that were created by Childers reforms in 1881, a continuation of the Cardwell reforms. It also indicates the cavalry amalgamations that would take place forty years later as part of the Government cuts of the early 1920s.Mercian Regiment
The Mercian Regiment (Cheshire, Worcesters and Foresters, and Staffords) is an infantry regiment of the British Army, which is recruited from five of the counties that formed the ancient kingdom of Mercia. Known as 'The Heart of England's Infantry', it was formed on 1 September 2007 by the amalgamation of three existing regiments. The Regiment has deployed on eight operational deployments since its formation.North Staffordshire Regiment
The North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's) was a line infantry regiment of the British Army, which was in existence between 1881 and 1959. The 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot was created on 21 April 1758 from the 2nd Battalion of the 11th Regiment of Foot. In 1881, under the Childers Reforms, the 64th Regiment of Foot was merged with the 98th (Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Foot (originally raised in 1824) to form the Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment). In 1921 the regimental title was altered to the North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's).
Formed at a time when the British Empire was reaching its peak, the regiment served all over the Empire, in times of both peace and war, and in many theatres of war outside the Empire. It fought with distinction in World War I and World War II, as well as in other smaller conflicts around the world. These other wars included the Second Sudanese War, the Second Boer War, the Anglo-Irish War and the Third Anglo-Afghan War.
In 1959, as part of a defence review, the North Staffordshire Regiment, by now reduced to only a single regular battalion, was amalgamated with the South Staffordshire Regiment to form the Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's) which was, in 2006, amalgamated with the Cheshire Regiment and the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29th/45th Foot) to form the Mercian Regiment. Today the traditions of the North Staffordshire Regiment are continued by the Mercian Regiment.Richard Bourke
General Sir Richard Bourke, KCB (4 May 1777 – 12 August 1855) was an Irish-born British Army officer who served as Governor of New South Wales from 1831 to 1837.
As a lifelong Whig (Liberal), he encouraged the emancipation of convicts and helped bring forward the ending of penal transportation to Australia. In this, he faced strong opposition from the military/conservative establishment and its press. He approved a new settlement on the Yarra River, and named it Melbourne, in honour of the incumbent British prime minister, Lord Melbourne.Severus William Lynam Stretton
Lieutenant-Colonel Severus William Lynam Stretton (7 November 1792 – 22 November 1884) was a British Army officer who served in the Napoleonic Wars.Sir Charles Hunter, 3rd Baronet
Sir Charles Roderick Hunter, 3rd Baronet (6 July 1858 – 24 June 1924) was a British army officer and Conservative Party politician.The second son of Sir Claudius Stephen Paul Hunter, 2nd Baronet and his wife Constance née Bosanquet, he was educated at Eton College and the Royal Military College Sandhurst. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot in January 1878. In May of the same year he transferred to the Rifle Brigade, and in 1880 he was promoted to full lieutenant. In 1884 he was appointed aide de camp to Lord Alexander Russell, commander in chief of troops in Canada, and seconded to the general staff. He returned to his regiment in September 1885, promoted to captain.In 1887 he married Agnes Lillie Kennard of Crawley, Hampshire.In 1890 he succeeded his father in the baronetcy (his older brother having died), retiring to the reserve of officers, and accepting a commission as major in the 1st London (City of London Rifle Volunteer Brigade) Volunteer Rifle Corps, a unit of the part-time Volunteer Force.After the outbreak of the Second Boer War, Hunter was seconded for service with the Imperial Yeomanry. He left Southampton on board the SS Scot in January 1900, arriving in South Africa the following month.
In January 1910 he was elected as one of two members of parliament (MPs) for Bath alongside Lord Alexander Thynne. The two members were re-elected at the December 1910 election. During the First World War returned to the general staff, holding the temporary rank of major from 1914 – 1916. In September 1918 Thynne died and Charles Foxcroft was elected in his place. In December 1918 Bath was reduced to a single-member constituency, and Hunter stood down in favour of Foxcroft.
Hunter died at his London home from complications after undergoing an operation in June 1924. He was buried in Stratfield Mortimer, site of the family seat, Mortimer Hill. He had no children, and the baronetcy became extinct on his death.Whittington Barracks
Whittington Barracks is a military base in Whittington, Staffordshire, near Lichfield in England. It is home to the Staffordshire Regiment Museum. Now known as Defence Medical Services (Whittington), it is a Tri-Service military unit, home to the Headquarters of the Surgeon Generals and subordinate medical headquarters in addition to being the location of the Defence College of Health Education and Training.William Henry Pringle
Lieutenant-General Sir William Henry Pringle GCB (21 August 1772 – 23 December 1840) was a British Army officer who served as a Member of Parliament (MP) for two constituencies in Cornwall. He was born the eldest son of Maj-Gen. Henry Pringle, of Dublin and educated privately and at Trinity College, Dublin.
He joined the British Army as a cornet and progressed to the rank of Colonel of the 64th Foot in 1816. Further promotion to Lieutenant-General followed before he was transferred as Colonel for life in 1837 to the 45th Regiment of Foot. He was made KCB in 1815 and GCB in 1834.
He was MP for St Germans from 1812 to 1818, and then for Liskeard from 1818 to 1832.
He died in 1840. He had married Harriet Hester Eliot on 20 May 1806 (the daughter and heiress of Hon. Edward James Eliot) with whom he had a son and 4 daughters.Willoughby Harcourt Carter
Captain Willoughby Harcourt Carter (1822–1900) J.P. was the first appointed Chief Constable of Buckinghamshire, from 1857 to 1867.