The 5th Field Artillery Regiment was constituted as part of the Regular Army in January 1907. Individual battalions have lineages that date back further. Currently, it is a parent regiment under the U.S. Army Regimental System, with a single active battalion, the 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery, which is assigned to the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley, KS.
|5th Field Artillery Regiment|
Coat of arms
|Motto(s)||"Faithful and True"|
|Lt. Adelbert Ames|
Distinctive unit insignia
Former Distinctive unit insignia
U.S. Field Artillery Regiments
|4th Field Artillery||6th Field Artillery|
The distinctive unit insignia consists of a device of gold-colored metal and enamel, 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter, depicting an adaptation of the crest and motto of the coat of arms. The crest is that of the Hamilton family, Alexander Hamilton being a former commander of one of the elements of the regiment.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 5th Field Artillery Regiment on 21 January 1924. It was redesignated for the 5th Field Artillery Battalion on 13 September 1944. The insignia was cancelled on 19 April 1960. It was reinstated and authorized for the 5th Field Artillery Regiment effective 1 September 1971.
1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery traces its lineage to 6 January 1776 and is the oldest Regular Army unit on active duty.
The New York Provincial Company of Artillery was led first in the Revolutionary War by Captain and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States Alexander Hamilton, the unit fought at Long Island, Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth, Yorktown, and New York. After participating in the final victory at Yorktown, the unit was selected as the only Continental Army unit to remain on active duty status. Later the unit fought in the War of 1812; and in the Miami, Creek, Seminole, Little Big Horn and Pine Ridge Indian campaigns. The unit also participated multiple campaigns in the Mexican War.
Remaining loyal to the Union, "Hamilton's Own" fought valiantly in the Valley, Manassas, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and the Virginia 1861 Campaigns.
After earning a campaign streamer at Santiago, the 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery went to the Philippines and participated in the campaigns at Cavite, Luzon 1899, Samar 1900, and Samar 1901. An officer of the battalion, First Lieutenant (later Brigadier General) Gruber composed the Caisson Song. The song that was the 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery's regimental march later became the Artillery and then the Army Song. The battalion was assigned to the 1st Infantry Division and sent to France in 1917. The unit deployed as the 5th Field Artillery Regiment to fight at Montdidier-Noyon, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Lorraine 1917, Lorraine 1918, and Picardy. Captain Charles S. Chapman (Sr.) commanded the force through all 5 major battles of WW I, returning to Fullerton, California to resume civilian life. Remaining with the 1st Infantry Division, the battalion participated in every major European campaign during World War II. Campaign credits earned were Algeria-French Morocco, Tunisia, Sicily, Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe.
In late 1965, the battalion was again deployed to Vietnam. During Operation Fishhook in October 1968, Lieutenant Colonel Charles C. Rogers, the Battalion Commander, received the Medal of Honor for gallantry and leadership at Firebase Rita. The battalion won eleven campaign streamers for their actions in the Republic of Vietnam.
The 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery deployed in January 1991 for Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm and became the first artillery unit in the division to be credited with destroying an Iraqi tank with a Copperhead projectile. "Hamilton's Own" also participated in the largest artillery raid ever conducted. The unit earned the Defense of Saudi Arabia and the Liberation and Defense of Kuwait streamers.
The 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery deployed in September 2003, for Operation Iraqi Freedom and returned to Fort Riley in September 2004. The battalion has participated in almost every major conflict and earning 60 campaign streamers and numerous unit citations for gallantry in battle. Today, "Hamilton's Own" serves at Fort Riley, Kansas and provides Paladin fire support to the 1st Brigade Combat Team of the 1st Infantry Division.
In December 2005, the battalion's AN/TPQ-36 Firefinder Radar Section was deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 4 & 5. The team was deployed to FOB McKynzy (Samarrah East Airfields) where they supported 1-8 Infantry, 4th ID out of Ft. Carson, CO. Some time later during the deployment the team of 7 were relocated to FOB Palawada, located near Balad east of LSA Anaconda. After a year's deployment the team returned home in late 2006 to support the battalion's mission of training MIT teams to deploy to various theaters of operations.
From June thru December 2011 1st Battalion,5th Field Artillery deployed to Kirkuk,Iraq in support of Operation New Dawn at FOB WARRIOR. Leaving for Kuwait in December they were among the last U.S. troops in Iraq. Redeployed to Fort Riley mid December 2011.
The mission of the 2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery, was to prepare for combat and, on order, deploy to a designated contingency area by air, land, and sea to provide fires in support of full spectrum operations.
The 2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery was first constituted in the Regular Army as a light artillery regiment in January 1907, and was organized in May 1907 from existing units at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and the Philippines. Battery D, 5th Field Artillery was descended from Captain Alexander Hamilton's New York Provincial Company of Artillery organized in 1776. The 5th Artillery was therefore recognized as the only surviving Regular Army unit originating in the Revolutionary War. The regiment also accrued four Civil War battle streamers from existing units at the time of its formation.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated as Battery B, 5th Field Artillery. It was assigned to the 1st Expeditionary Division in June 1917 and departed for France in July 1917. During World War I the unit received credit for seven campaigns and was twice decorated with the French Croix de Guerre with two palms. After returning to the United States, the unit was inactivated at Camp Bragg, North Carolina, It was then reactivated at Madison Barracks, New York in December 1939. In October 1940, the unit was reorganized and redesignated as the Battery B, 5th Field Artillery Battalion. It departed for England in August 1942 in support of the 1st Infantry Division. During World War II, the 5th Field Artillery Battalion as a whole saw action in eight campaigns.
The unit was redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 5th Artillery on June 1958 and activated on 25 June in Germany as part of Operation Gyroscope, an Army experiment in rotating units from CONUS to OCONUS "in total". It was re-designated as 2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery on 25 June 1964. The battalion was assigned to 1st Infantry Division on 15 April 1983 at Fort Riley, Kansas (reflagging the existing 1st Battalion, 7th Field Artillery, DS to 2nd Brigade), and then moved to Neu-Ulm, German as the DS FA BN for 3rd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division (aka 1st ID Forward). This movement occurred in June 1986 (trading places with 4th Battalion, 5th Field Artillery) as part of the U.S. Army's COHORT program experiment. In that study, 8 battalions (4 CONUS, 4 OCONUS) participated in a 3-year study to determine if the company level COHORT program could be extended to the battalion level. Unfortunately, the same company level issues of lack of upward mobility and increased unit friction served to end the COHORT program for good.
The battalion was inactivated and relieved from assignment to the 1st Infantry Division on 15 August 1991. Elements of this unit deployed to Saudi Arabia (without equipment) to support VII Corps' arrival in the KTO. This mission was performed by the 1st Inf Div (Mech)(Fwd) Port Support Activity (PSA), a brigade-level unit that consisted of two identical 725-man battalion task forces that included tankers, infantrymen, artillerymen, engineers, medics, mechanics and communication specialists from all units of the 1st Inf Div (Mech)(Fwd). Headquarters, 3rd Brigade, 1st Inf Div (Mech) was the headquarters that supervised this effort. This mission, known as "Operation Desert Duty", was completed on 17-18 Feb 91, and the brigade began departing the KTO on 19 Feb 91.
The battalion was reactivated at Ft Sill, Oklahoma on 16 April 1996. There it gained the distinction of having been the first battalion to equip with the M109A6 Paladin self-propelled howitzer.
In 2000, 2-5th Field Artillery executed a battery (+) deployment to Kuwait, in direct support of Task Force Garry Owen, led by the 3-7th Cavalry, an element of the 3rd Infantry Division. There 2-5th Field Artillery fired more than 1,700 projectiles. Another deployment to Fort Knox, Kentucky resulted in a second battery (+) deployment, firing more than 1,650 projectiles for the USMA's mounted maneuver training. Three detachments deployed to Fort Hood, Texas, to support Ulchi Focus Lens and the 1st Cavalry Warfighter exercise. At Fort Sill, Oklahoma, 2-5th Field Artillery executed six battery ARTEPs, a battalion ARTEP and two Janus/fire simulation TOC exercises.
In April 2003 2/5 FA was deployed to southwest Asia in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Battalion was attached to 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. The Unit conducted operations in the Al Abar province. It was tasked with restoring order to Ar Ramadi for six months. In October 2/5 was re assigned to Al-Asad Air base also in the Anbar region. Elements of the unit trained ICDC at FOB Eden near Hit, Iraq. On Nov 2nd 2003 The unit lost 6 soldiers when a Chinook was shot down near Fallujah. Near the end of Nov 2003 2/5 and 3rd ACR participated in Operation Rifles Blitz. 2nd Battalion 5th Field Artillery re deployed to Ft Sill in April 2004. In 2006, the 212th Field Artillery Brigade was reorganized and redesignated as the 214th Fires Brigade, a modular field artillery brigade. As part of the reorganization, 3rd Battalion, 13th Field Artillery was reassigned to the 75th Fires Brigade. In October 2006, the 2nd Battalion, 5th Field Artillery, previously serving with the 212th Field Artillery Brigade, was assigned to the 214th Fires Brigade.
Bravo Battery deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in Feb 2010, and returned to Fort Sill in 2011.
2/5 FA was inactivated in 2014, with a small group remaining to complete unit-level turn-in of equipment.
3rd Battalion shares all of the lineage of the regiment, and served in Germany in the 1980s.
The battalion was originally constituted on 13 February 1901 as the 29th Battery, Field Artillery, Artillery Corps, and was subsequently organized in September 1901 at Camp Columbia, Havana, Cuba. On 31 May 1907 it was reorganized and redesignated as Battery C, 5th Field Artillery (Light), and on 8 June 1917 was assigned to the 1st Expeditionary Division (subsequently the 1st Infantry Division). The unit was inactivated on 1 October 1933 and activated on 5 December 1939.
On 1 October 1940 the unit was reorganized and redesignated as Battery C, 5th Fied Artillery Battalion. It was absorbed on 15 December 1941 by Battery A, 5th Field Artillery Battalion which inactivated on 15 February 1957 at Fort Riley, Kansas.
The former Battery C, 5th Field Battalion reconstituted 26 August 1960 in the Regular Army; concurrently consolidated with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Missile Battalion, 5th Artillery and the consolidated unit was designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Missile Battalion, 5th Artillery. On 1 September 1971 the unit was redesignated (less Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Missile Battalion, 5th Artillery) as the 4th Missile Battalion, 5th Field Artillery.
On 28 February 1983 the unit was redesignated as the 4th Battalion, 5th Field Artillery, assigned to the 1st Infantry Division, and activated in Neu Ulm, Germany. This reorganization was conducted with the soldiers and equipment of the former 2nd Battalion, 33rd Field Artillery. It served in a DS (direct support) role with the 3rd Brigade (equipped with M109A2/3 howitzers) until relieved in position by 2nd Battalion, 5th FA, and then took over 2nd Battalion's mission of DS to 2nd Brigade at Fort Riley, KS.
4th Battalion earned the unofficial nickname 'Bore Busters' as a play on the name 'boar' after the ammunition platoon non-commissioned officer in charge killed an animal of the same name, with the platoon leader's .45 service pistol at the ammunition supply point for the battalion,in Grafenwoehr, Germany training area in 1985. A boar's head with crossed cannons on a plaque was mounted in the Battalion HQs for many years.
The battalion deployed in January 1991 for Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm DS to 2nd Brigade, noted for being the first unit on site to secure the surrender location in Safwan. The unit earned the Defense of Saudi Arabia, Liberation and Defense of Kuwait, and Cease-Fire campaign streamers.
The battalion was inactivated on 16 February 1996 as part of the army's reorganization. Most soldiers and equipment were assigned to the newly activated 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery.
5th Battalion shares all of the lineage of the regiment, and served as the Direct Support Battalion of the 187th Infantry Brigade (Separate) of the U.S. Army Reserve. Both units were inactivated after Desert Storm.
The 28th Indian Infantry Brigade was an infantry brigade formation of the Indian Army during World War II. The brigade was formed in March 1941, at Secunderabad in India and assigned to the 6th Indian Infantry Division. In September 1941, the brigade was sent to Malaya. Coming under command III Indian Corps and 11th Indian Infantry Division the brigade surrendered with the rest of the Commonwealth forces during the Battle of Singapore on 15 February 1942.2nd Continental Artillery Regiment
The 2nd Continental Artillery Regiment also known as Lamb's Continental Artillery Regiment was authorized on 1 January 1777 as Colonel John Lamb's Continental Artillery Regiment. As originally constituted, the regiment included 12 artillery companies from New York, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. The bulk of the regiment served in the Hudson Highlands, though some companies fought with George Washington's main army from 1777 to 1779.
On 10 August 1779 the unit was renamed the 2nd Continental Artillery Regiment. Two companies were transferred to the 4th Continental Artillery Regiment on 1 January 1781 to form a 10-company regiment. In August 1781 the regiment was reassigned to the main army in time to fight at the Siege of Yorktown. The regiment returned to the Hudson Highlands in the summer of 1782. It was reduced to two companies in June 1783. The regiment was dissolved on 1 January 1784 except for one company which remained in the regular army.Battle of Cantigny
The Battle of Cantigny, fought May 28, 1918 was the first major American battle and offensive of World War I. The U.S. 1st Division, the most experienced of the five American divisions then in France and in reserve for the French Army near the village of Cantigny, was selected for the attack. The objective of the attack was both to reduce a small salient made by the German Army in the front lines but also to instill confidence among the French and British allies in the ability of the inexperienced American Expeditionary Force (AEF).Charles Calvin Rogers
Charles Calvin Rogers (September 6, 1929 – September 21, 1990) was a United States Army officer and a recipient of America's highest military decoration—the Medal of Honor—for his actions in the Vietnam War.Charles T. Menoher
Major General Charles Thomas Menoher (March 20, 1862 – August 11, 1930) was a U.S. Army general, first Chief of the United States Army Air Service from 1918 to 1921, and commanded the U.S. Army Hawaiian Department from 1924 to 1925.Croix de Guerre 1914–1918 (France)
The Croix de guerre 1914–1918 (English: War Cross) is a French military decoration, the first version of the Croix de guerre. It was created to recognize French and allied soldiers who were cited for valorous service during World War I, similar to the British mentioned in dispatches but with multiple degrees equivalent to other nations' decorations for courage.
Soon after the outbreak of World War I, French military officials felt that a new military award had to be created. At that time, the Citation du jour ("Daily Citation") already existed to acknowledge soldiers, but it was just a sheet of paper. Only the Médaille Militaire and Legion of Honour were bestowed for courage in the field, due to the numbers now involved, a new decoration was required in earnest. At the end of 1914, General Boëlle, Commandant in Chief of the French 4th Army Corps, tried to convince the French administration to create a formal military award. Maurice Barrès, the noted writer and parliamentarian for Paris, gave Boëlle support in his efforts.On 23 December 1914, the French parliamentarian Georges Bonnefous proposed a legislative bill to create the Croix de la Valeur Militaire ("Cross of Military Valour") signed by 66 other parliamentarians. Émile Driant, a parliamentarian who served in the war zone during much of this time, became its natural spokesman when he returned to the legislature. On 18 January 1915, Driant submitted this bill but the name of the military award was renamed to Croix de guerre ("War Cross"). After parliamentary discussions, the bill was adopted on 2 April 1915.World War I began in 1914 and ended in 1918, so the final name adopted is "Croix de guerre 1914–1918".Early U.S. Artillery formations
In the early years of the Republic, the United States Army experimented with a number of different artillery formations. For a time, the Artillery Branch and Engineer Branch were combined. Unit designations did not yet contain the terms "Field Artillery" or "Coast Artillery," although units so designated, as well those of the as air defense artillery units, would eventually trace their lineage and honors to some of the early formations.Finnish 5th Division (Winter War)
The 5th Division was a unit of the Finnish Army during the Winter War. It was part of the II Corps (II AK) which fought on the Karelian Isthmus as part of the Army of the Isthmus. It was stationed on the Mannerheim Line between Lake Muolaanjärvi and Kuolemajärvi.II Corps (Ottoman Empire)
The II Corps of the Ottoman Empire (Turkish: 2 nci Kolordu or İkinci Kolordu) was one of the corps of the Ottoman Army. It was formed in the early 20th century during Ottoman military reforms.Isonzo Mechanized Brigade
The Mechanized Brigade Isonzo was a short-lived brigade of the Italian Army created during the 1975 army reform and disbanded during the 1986 army reform. The name of the brigade was chosen to commemorate the twelve Battles of the Isonzo during World War I.Keisuke Fujie
Keisuke Fujie (藤江 恵輔, Fujie Keisuke, 8 November 1885 – 27 February 1969) was a general in the Imperial Japanese Army in World War II. Fujie’s wife was the daughter of Prime Minister Kantarō Suzuki.Mantova Mechanized Brigade
The Mantova Mechanized Brigade was a mechanized brigade of the Italian Army. Its core units were mechanized infantry battalions. The brigade's headquarters was in the city of Cividale del Friuli. All the brigade's units were based in the region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia. In 2003, the Mantova was raised again as a division command.Maxwell Murray
Maxwell Murray (June 19, 1885 – August 4, 1948) was a United States Army officer, who rose to the rank of Major General. Murray commanded the 25th Infantry Division during the Attack on Pearl Harbor. He was the son of Major General Arthur Murray.Michael Hastings (politician)
Michael E. Hastings (born October 6, 1980) is a Democratic member of the Illinois Senate from the 19th district. The 19th district includes all or parts of Lockport, New Lenox, Mokena, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Frankfort, Frankfort Square, Homer Glen, Joliet, Richton Park, University Park, Matteson, Homewood, Flossmoor, Park Forest, Olympia Fields, Country Club Hills, Hazel Crest, Markham, and Oak Forest.Prior to his election as a State Senator, Hastings was an officer in the United States Army, a businessman and as vice president of a school board.NRDC-GR
The III Army Corps / NATO Rapid Deployable Corps – Greece, abbreviated NRDC-GR, is an operational headquarters of the Hellenic Army, intended for the direction of international operations undertaken by the European Union and NATO. The HQ was originally going to replace the III Army Corps of the Hellenic Army altogether, taking control of its rapid response units, but this was changed in 2009, so that the two HQs essentially co-exist as a joint formation, each controlling different units of the old Army Corps. The Corps is based in the city of Thessaloniki since 1946.Nicholas Fish
Nicholas Fish (August 28, 1758 – June 20, 1833) was an American Revolutionary War soldier. He was the first Adjutant General of New York.Order of battle of the Gulf War ground campaign
This is the order of battle for the ground campaign in the Gulf War between Coalition Forces and Iraqi Forces between 24–28 February 1991. The order that they are listed in are from west to east. Iraqi units that were not in the Kuwaiti Theater of Operations are excluded from this list. Some Iraqi divisions remained un-identified by American intelligence and a number of the details of the Iraqi order of battle are in dispute among various authoritative sources.Thomas T. Handy
Thomas Troy Handy (March 11, 1892 – April 12, 1982) was a United States Army four-star general who served as Deputy Chief of Staff, U.S. Army (DCSA) from 1944 to 1947; Commanding General, Fourth United States Army from 1947 to 1949; Commander in Chief, United States European Command (CINCEUR) from 1949 to 1952; Commander in Chief, U.S. Army Europe/Commander, Central Army Group (CINCUSAREUR/COMCENTAG), 1952; and Deputy Commander in Chief, U.S. European Command (DCINCEUR), from 1952 to 1954.V Corps (German Empire)
The V Army Corps / V AK (German: V. Armee-Korps) was a corps level command of the Prussian and then the Imperial German Armies from the 19th century to World War I.
Originating in 1815 as the General Command for the Grand Duchy of Posen (later called the Province of Posen) with headquarters in Posen. Its catchment area included the Regierungsbezirk (administrative district) Posen and Regierungsbezirk Liegnitz from the Province of Silesia.The Corps served in the Austro-Prussian War. During the Franco-Prussian War it was assigned to the 3rd Army.
In peacetime the Corps was assigned to the VIII Army Inspectorate but joined the 5th Army at the start of the First World War. It was still in existence at the end of the war in Armee-Abteilung C, Heeresgruppe Gallwitz on the Western Front. The Corps was disbanded with the demobilisation of the German Army after World War I.
1st Infantry Division "The Big Red One" (1942 - 1945)
Artillery formations of the United States
|Air Defense Artillery|