The 48th Flying Training Squadron is part of the 14th Flying Training Wing based at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi. It operates T-1 Jayhawk aircraft conducting flight training. The squadron is one of the oldest in the Air Force, being formed during World War I as the 48th Aero Squadron on 4 August 1917.
Currently the squadron specializes in the tanker and airlift track of specialized undergraduate pilot training. Students receive at least 159 hours of flight instruction in the Raytheon T-1 Jayhawk where they learn air refueling procedures, tactical navigation, airdrop, and advanced navigation. Upon completion of this phase, students earn the aeronautical rating of pilot and receive their Air Force wings.
|48th Flying Training Squadron|
48th Flying Training Squadron Beech Raytheon T-1A Jayhawk 94-0138
|Active||1917–1919; 1927–1931; 1933–1936; 1941–1945; 1946–1949; 1952–1991; 1996–present|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Education and Training Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi|
|Decorations||Distinguished Unit Citation|
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
|Lt. Col. Jason Richardson|
48th Flying Training Squadron emblem (reintroduced 29 May 1987, modified 8 August 1996)
48th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron emblem (approved 5 June 1953)
48th Fighter Squadron emblem (World War II)
The squadron's origins date to 4 August 1917 with the formation of the 48th Aero Squadron at Kelly Field, Texas. It was organized into the first Aero construction squadron designated for deployment to the American Expeditionary Forces in France. After basic training at Kelly Field, the squadron was sent to the Aviation Concentration Center, Garden City, New York in mid-September 1917 for subsequent movement to France. It embarked on the Cunard Liner SS Pannonia, suffering a stormy and unpleasant voyage across the Atlantic. It arrived at Liverpool, England on 29 October. After a few days in England, the squadron arrived at Rest Camp #2, Le Havre, France on 1 November.
The first meaningful work of the squadron was at the Third Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun Aerodrome in Central France. It arrived on 3 November to help construct barracks and shops from lumber. It also erected hangars and did the necessary construction work to bring the airfield into an operational school for training pursuit (fighter) pilots. It also began work on six airfields to support the training school, building roads, putting up hangars, and installing water and electrical systems. A detachment of the squadron was sent to the Second Aviation Instruction Center, Tours Aerodrome. In doing this work, the squadron got the reputation of being one of the best, and fastest, all around construction squadrons in the AEF.
In May 1918, the squadron was then reassigned to the First Army Air Service, and began constructing combat airfields to support the St. Mihiel Offensive. Throughout the year, it was moved from place to place, erecting hangars, constructing buildings and preparing airfields for use by Air Service planes. At Parois Aerodrome in the Meuse, it constructed 12 hangars and 23 barracks, the flying field being full of former trenches and shell holes that had to be filled in. During the Meuse-Argonne Offensive in early November, it moved to Buzancy to reconstruct a former German airfield that was littered with munitions and other hazardous materiel. However, the war ended on 11 November before the airfield could be put to use.
After the armistice, the squadron was reassigned to the Third Army Air Service and moved to Trier Airdrome, Germany as part of the Army of Occupation. The former German Airfield there was prepared for seven American Aero Squadrons to use, which was done in less than a week. It then moved to Weißenthurm to construct another Aerodrome for Third Army. It remained in the Rhineland until the summer of 1919 until it was ordered, along with the Third Army Air Service to demobilized. After turning in all equipment at the 1st Air Depot at Colombey-les-Belles Aerodrome, the unit moved to a channel port where it boarded a troop ship, returning to the United States in August 1919. The men of the squadron were discharged and returned to civilian life.
The 48th School Squadron was activated in 1927 as part of the 11th School Group at Kelly Field, Texas. A part of the Air Corps Primary Flying School, it trained aviation cadets using the Consolidated PT-1, with tandem seats and a Wright E engine. In 1930, the squadron was consolidated with the 462d Aero Squadron.
By the fall of 1931, construction of Randolph Field was essentially completed, and the primary flying school at Kelly Field was moved to the new installation. With the transfer of the school, the 48th School Squadron was inactivated on 31 December 1931 It was activated again at the Air Corps Technical School at Chanute Field, Illinois in August 1933. In March 1935, the squadron became the 48th Pursuit Squadron, but it was inactivated in September 1936 and disbanded on 1 January 1938.
A new 48th Pursuit Squadron was activated in January 1941. The squadron was equipped with Lockheed P-38 Lightnings in 1941 and assigned to Hamilton Field, California. From 5 February to 3 June 1942 it flew air defense patrols along the California coast. Redesignated the 48th Fighter Squadron, it was deployed to the European Theater of Operations in August 1942 to fly escort missions for Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and Consolidated B-24 Liberator heavy bombers as part of VIII Fighter Command.
The squadron was sent to North Africa in late 1942 as part of the Operation Torch invasion forces, taking up station in Algeria. It was reassigned to the Twelfth Air Force and flew fighter escort missions for the Flying Fortresses operating from Algeria as well as tactical interdiction strikes on enemy targets of opportunity in Algeria and Tunisia during the North African Campaign.
Following the German defeat and withdrawal from North Africa the squadron participated in the Allied invasions of Sicily and Italy and the subsequent drive of the United States Fifth Army up the Italian peninsula. It was engaged primarily in tactical operations after November 1943, supporting ground forces and attacking enemy targets of opportunity such as railroads, road convoys, bridges, strafing enemy airfields and other targets. The squadron was deployed to Corsica in 1944 to attack enemy targets in support of the Free French Forces in the liberation of the island and to support Allied forces in the invasion of southern France. The squadron continued offensive operations until the German capitulation in May 1945. The unit was inactivated in the fall 1945 in Italy.
It was reactivated in 1946 as part of Air Defense Command to perform air defense of the eastern United States. the squadron was activated at Dow Field in November 1946 with Republic P-47 Thunderbolts. In October 1947 a transition into Republic P-84B Thunderjets was completed. These were flown until the unit was temporarily inactivated on 2 October 1949.
The squadron was redesignated the 48th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron and reactivated in November 1952 at Grenier Air Force Base, New Hampshire, with F-47 Thunderbolts, replacing the New Hampshire Air National Guard's 133d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, which was released from federal control. A relocation to Langley Air Force Base was completed in early 1953 along with a transition into F-84Gs and then Lockheed F-94C Starfires in the fall of 1953. In the summer of 1957 the squadron completed a transition into Convair F-102A Delta Daggers followed by another in the fall of 1960 to Convair F-106 Delta Darts. It deployed to Florida in 1962 during Cuban Missile Crisis.
The 48th flew McDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagles from 1982 to 1991, when many of the F-15 were transferred to the Missouri and Hawaii Air National Guard, and 3 or 4 going to Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center. The 48th continued training and operational exercises until inactivation in 1991.
The 14th Flying Training Wing is a wing of the United States Air Force based out of Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi.
The 14th Operations Group and its six squadrons are responsible for the 52-week Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (SUPT) mission. The group also performs quality assurance for contract aircraft maintenance.
The 14th Mission Support Group provides essential services with a 5-squadron/2-division, 750+ person work force and $38 million budget. It operates/maintains facilities and infrastructure for a 6,013-acre (24.33 km2) pilot training base and provides contracting, law enforcement, supply, transportation, fire protection, communications, education, recreation and personnel management for 9,500 people. The group is also responsible for wartime preparedness and contingency operations.14th Operations Group
The 14th Operations Group is the flying component of the 14th Flying Training Wing, assigned to the United States Air Force's Air Education and Training Command. The group is stationed at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi.
The group was first activated in 1941 as the 14th Pursuit Group at Hamilton Field, California. For a short time following the Attack on Pearl Harbor it flew patrols along the Pacific coast. It moved to the United Kingdom as the 14th Fighter Group in the summer of 1942 and was the first fighter unit to ferry its own aircraft across the Atlantic. After combat training with the Royal Air Force, the group moved to the Mediterranean Theater of Operations following Operation Torch, the North Africa invasion. It continued in combat until V-E Day, earning a Distinguished Unit Citation for defending bombers attacking a target in Austria in 1944. It was inactivated in Italy in September 1945.
The 14th was again activated at Dow Field, Maine in 1946 as part of Air Defense Command (ADC). It became the first Army Air Forces combat unit to equip with the Republic P-84 Thunderjet. The group was inactivated in 1949 when reductions in the Department of Defense budget required a reduction of groups in the United States Air Force (USAF) to 48.
In the summer of 1955 the group was activated at Ethan Allen Air Force Base, where it assumed the mission, personnel and equipment of the 517th Air Defense Group under ADC's Project Arrow, which was designed to replace post-war units with fighter organizations with distinguished combat records. It remained there until 1960, when it was inactivated.
The group was again activated as the 14th Operations Group at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi in December 1991 and assumed its current mission of training pilots for the USAF.Air Mobility Rodeo
The Air Mobility Rodeo is a biennial, international airlift competition hosted by the United States Air Force Air Mobility Command. AMC gathers wings from active duty, reserve, and Air National Guard units from across the United States and around the world to test and improve tactics in a competitive environment. In this environment units are able to demonstrate capabilities, improve procedures, compare notes, and enhance standardization for global operations.Columbus Air Force Base
Columbus Air Force Base (IATA: CBM, ICAO: KCBM, FAA LID: CBM) is a United States Air Force base located in Columbus, Mississippi. The host unit at Columbus AFB is the 14th Flying Training Wing (14 FTW), which is a part of Air Education and Training Command (AETC).Dan Carter (American politician)
Daniel E. Carter (born September 18, 1967) is a politician from Connecticut. A Republican, he was elected to his first term in the Connecticut House of Representatives in November 2010, representing the state’s second district in Bethel, Danbury and Redding. Following redistricting, in 2012 Newtown was added to the second district when Carter won a second term. He represented the Republican Party in the 2016 Connecticut Senate election, losing to incumbent Richard Blumenthal.List of American aero squadrons
This is a partial list of original Air Service, United States Army "Aero Squadrons" before and during World War I. Units formed after 1 January 1919 are not listed.
Aero Squadrons were the designation of the first United States Army aviation units until the end of World War I. These units consisted of combat flying, training, ground support, construction and other components of the Air Service. After World War I ended, the majority of these squadrons were demobilized. Some however were retained during the interwar period of the 1920s and 1930s, and served in all theaters of operation during World War II. Today, the oldest squadrons in the United States Air Force and Air National Guard can trace their lineage back to the original Aero Squadrons of World War I.List of United States Air Force fighter squadrons
This is a list of United States Air Force fighter squadrons. It covers units considered to be part of the Combat Air Force (CAF) such as fighter squadrons and serves as a break out of the comprehensive List of United States Air Force squadrons. Units in this list are assigned to nearly every Major Command in the United States Air Force.List of United States Air Force training squadrons
This is a list of United States Air Force training squadrons. It covers units that specialize in training such as combat training, flying training, and training squadrons and serves as a break out of the comprehensive List of United States Air Force squadrons. Units in this list are assigned to nearly every Major Command in the United States Air Force.Raytheon T-1 Jayhawk
The Raytheon T-1 Jayhawk is a twin-engined jet aircraft used by the United States Air Force for advanced pilot training. T-1A students go on to fly airlift and tanker aircraft. The T-400 is a similar version for the Japan Air Self-Defense Force.