42d Attack Squadron emblem (approved 30 November 2009)
42d School Squadron emblem (approved 20 January 1925)
World War I
The squadron was organized as the 42d Aero Squadron on 17 June 1917, shortly after the United States declared war on Germany. Based at Camp Kelly, Texas, the squadron flight-trained new pilots as part of the Air Service until demobilized on 21 February 1919.
Training between the wars
The squadron was reconstituted in 1922 and became the 42d School Squadron in January 1923 as part of the 10th School Group at Kelly Field. In 1924 its lineage was consolidated with that of the 42d Aero Squadron. The 42d School Squadron continued its flying training role as part of the Air Corps in 1926, and was assigned to the Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field in 1931.
On 1 March 1935, with the activation of the General Headquarters Air Force, the squadron was redesignated the 42d Bombardment Squadron, although it remained a training squadron at Kelly until its inactivation in September 1936.
In 1960 was reassigned to the 4043d Strategic Wing, being re-equipped with B-52E intercontinental heavy bombers. The squadron moved to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio by SAC to disperse its heavy bomber force. Conducted worldwide strategic bombardment training missions and providing nuclear deterrent. Was inactivated in 1963 when SAC inactivated its strategic wings, replacing them with permanent Air Force Wings. Squadron was inactivated with its aircraft, personnel and equipment transferred to the 34th Bombardment Squadron.
The 42d received its first General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper on 13 March 2007. Officially combat-operational in Afghanistan since September 2007, the typical MQ-9 system consists of several aircraft, a ground control station, communications equipment/links, spares, and active duty and/or contractor personnel. The crew consists of one unmanned aerial system pilot, one sensor operator and one mission intelligence coordinator.
42d Aero Squadron
Organized as the 42d Aero Squadron on 13 June 1917
Demobilized on 21 February 1919
Reconstituted on 8 April 1924 and consolidated with the 42d School Squadron as the 42d School Squadron
42d Attack Squadron
Authorized 10 June 1922 as the 42d Squadron (School)
Organized on 5 July 1922
Redesignated 42d School Squadron on 25 January 1923
Consolidated with the 42d Aero Squadron on 8 April 1924
Redesignated 42d Bombardment Squadron on 1 March 1935
Inactivated on 1 September 1936
Organized as a Regular Army Inactive unit on 23 November 1936
Redesignated 42d Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 22 December 1939
Activated on 1 February 1940
Redesignated 42d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 11 December 1940
Redesignated 42d Bombardment Squadron, Heavy c. 1 August 1944
Redesignated 42d Bombardment Squadron, Very Heavy on 30 April 1946
Inactivated on 20 October 1948
Redesignated 42d Bomb Squadron, Heavy and activated on 1 December 1948
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 February 1963
Redesignated 42d Attack Squadron and activated on 9 November 2006
Unknown, 13 June 1917 – 21 February 1919 (probably Post Headquarters, Kelly Field and Wilbur Wright Field)
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.