The 30th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (German: 30. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS) was a German Waffen SS infantry division formed largely from Belarusian, Russian and Ukrainian personnel of the Schutzmannschaft-Brigade Siegling in August 1944 at Warsaw, Poland. The division was transferred to southeastern France by mid-August 1944 to combat the French Forces of the Interior (FFI). The division's performance in combat was poor, and two battalions mutinied, murdered their German leaders, and defected to the FFI. Other troops of the division crossed the Swiss border and were interned. Afterwards, some of the division's personnel were transferred to the Russian Liberation Army while others were retained to form the SS "White Ruthenian" infantry brigade from January 1945.
|30th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS|
|Active||1 August 1944 – 15 April 1945|
On 31 July 1944 orders were issued to form a division from the personnel of the Schutzmannschaft-Brigade Siegling, who were subsequently organized into four infantry regiments (numbered 1 through 4). The initial organization of the division also included an artillery battalion, a cavalry battalion, and a training battalion. At this time, the division's full name was 30. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (russische Nr. 2). The term "Waffen-Grenadier" was used to denote SS infantry divisions manned by personnel of other-than-German ethnicity.
At the end of August 1944, division strength was estimated as 11,600 with the bulk originating from Belarus. The leadership cadre of the division was primarily German.
In mid-August 1944, the division was moved by rail to southeastern France in the region of Belfort and Mulhouse. By October, the organization of the division had been altered to three infantry regiments of three battalions each, a motorcycle (reconnaissance) battalion, an artillery battalion, and a field replacement battalion. The artillery battalion consisted of two batteries of captured 122-mm Soviet artillery pieces.
Elements of the division arrived in Vesoul on 20 August 1944 and were charged with the security of the Belfort Gap, particularly against operations conducted by the French Forces of the Interior (FFI). The same day, other elements of the division occupied the area around Camp Valdahon, about thirty kilometers southeast of Besançon.
Subsequent events demonstrated the division's lack of loyalty to the Nazi cause. On 27 August 1944, under the direction of Major Lev (Leon) Hloba, a Ukrainian battalion of the division at Vesoul shot their German leadership cadre and defected to an FFI unit in the Confracourt Woods, bringing 818 men, 45-mm antitank guns, 82-mm and 50-mm mortars, 21 heavy machine guns, as well as large amounts of small arms and small-caliber ammunition. A similar defection occurred the same day near Camp Valdahon and brought over hundreds of men, one antitank gun, eight heavy machine guns, four mortars, and small arms and ammunition. The defectors were subsequently inducted into the FFI as the 1st and 2nd Ukrainian Battalions and many were later amalgamated into the 13th Demi-Brigade of Foreign Legion, itself subordinated to the 1st Free French Division.
On 29 August 1944, the first and third battalions of the division's 4th Regiment deserted and crossed the border into Switzerland.
On 2 September, two squadrons (companies) of the division's cavalry battalion (formerly Kosaken-Schuma-Abteilung 68 and redesignated the Waffen-Reiter-Abteilung der SS 30) were surrounded and destroyed in a surprise attack at Melin by the Ukrainians who had defected in the Confracourt Woods.
The subsequent investigation of these events by German authorities resulted in some 2,300 men in the division being deemed "unreliable". As punishment, these personnel were transferred to two field entrenchment construction regiments (German: Schanzregiment) subordinated to the Karlsruhe Transport Commandant, leaving some 5,500 men still in the division. The extraordinary events in the division also led to it being placed in Army Group G reserve and being viewed by senior German leadership in Alsace as an unreliable unit.
On 24 October 1944, the division had reorganized into three regiments, numbered 75 to 77, each of two infantry battalions. This organization accorded with the orders for formation of the division that had been issued in August 1944 by the SS Führungshauptamt. Because of losses, however, the 77th Regiment was disbanded on 2 November.
The success of the French breakthrough in the Belfort Gap starting on 13 November 1944 created a crisis in the German defenses from Belfort to Mulhouse. With defending units under severe pressure by the French advance, the Germans committed the 30th SS Division to counterattack the French attack at Seppois. The advance of the SS division on 19 November reached a point roughly a mile north of Seppois, but was held there and pushed back by French counterattacks. The division then went on the defensive in the area around Altkirch.
As the German situation in lower Alsace solidified into what would become known as the Colmar Pocket, the 30th SS Division remained in the German front line north of Huningue and west of the Rhine River. In late December 1944, with its manpower down to 4,400 men, the division was withdrawn from the front and ordered to the Grafenwöhr training area deep inside of Germany.
Orders to disband the division were issued on 1 January 1945, and the division arrived at Grafenwöhr on 11 January. Russian personnel in the division were transferred to the 600th Infantry Division, a unit of Russians organized by Nazi Germany and belonging to the Russian Liberation Army.
On 15 January 1945, the non-Russian personnel of the division were organized into the 1st White Ruthenian SS Grenadier Brigade, a unit that had only a single regiment of infantry (the 75th) with three battalions as well as some other units such as an artillery battalion and a cavalry battalion. While still organizing, the brigade was retitled the 30th SS Grenadier Division (1st White Ruthenian) (German: 30. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (weissruthenische Nr. 1)) on 9 March 1945, but it still had only a single regiment of infantry. Finally, in April 1945, this iteration of the division was also disbanded, with the German cadre being sent to the 25th and 38th SS Grenadier Divisions.
Soldiers of the division together with an unspecified Italian unit killed 40 civilians in Étobon, France on 27 September 1944, in retaliation of the support given by villagers to the French partisans. An additional 27 were taken from the village to Germany; of them seven were shot ten days later.
The 31st SS Volunteer Grenadier Division (German: 31. SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division) was a unit of the German armed forces during World War II. It was formed from the Hungarian Volksdeutsche (ethnic Germans), mostly from the Bačka in September 1944. By November 1944 it was in action on the Hungarian Front.
In January 1945 it was sent to Austria and reformed as a type 45 Division, with only two battalions in each regiment and only three platoons in each company. The division then joined the 17th Army in Silesia where it was surrounded by the Red Army; it surrendered near Hradec Králové in May 1945.32nd SS Volunteer Grenadier Division 30 Januar
The 32nd SS Volunteer Grenadier Division "30 Januar" (German: 32. SS-Freiwilligen Grenadier-Division "30. Januar") was formed in January 1945 from what remained of other units and staff and pupils from SS schools and various other troops. The division fought as part of the V SS Mountain Corps, on the Oder front, just north of Furstenburg and in the Battle of Berlin. The division was destroyed in the Halbe pocket, but part of the unit surrendered to the Americans at Tangermünde.33rd Waffen Cavalry Division of the SS (3rd Hungarian)
33rd Waffen Cavalry Division of the SS (3rd Hungarian) was formed from Hungarian volunteers, in December 1944.
It never had more than one regiment when it was absorbed by the 26th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Hungarian) the following month, after it was almost destroyed in the fighting near Budapest.There is also some doubt that there ever was a 33rd Waffen Cavalry Division of the SS (3rd Hungarian) in anything but name.The number 33 was re-issued and given to the Charlemagne Division.34th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Landstorm Nederland
The 34th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division "Landstorm Nederland" (German: 34. SS-Freiwilligen Grenadier-Division "Landstorm Nederland") was a division in the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War II. It was formed by the converting the SS Volunteer Brigade Landstorm Nederland into a division. It comprised volunteers of Dutch background and saw action on the Western Front, but its strength never reached more than a brigade.35th SS-Police Grenadier Division
The 35th SS und Police Grenadier Division (German: 35. SS und Polizei-Grenadier-Division) was an infantry division of the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War II. It was created from SS-Police units transferred to the Waffen-SS. It was formed in the spring of 1945, and its actual strength is not known. As part of the German Ninth Army, it was badly mauled on the approaches to Berlin during the Battle of the Seelow Heights, and was destroyed during the Battle of Halbe. Various remnants surrendered to American and Soviet forces near the demarcation line of the Elbe.37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow
37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division "Lützow" (German: 37. SS-Freiwilligen Kavallerie-Division "Lützow") was a unit in the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany unit of World War II. It was formed in February 1945, consisting of remnants of SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer and SS Cavalry Division Maria Theresia, in addition to mostly under-age German, Hungarian Volkdeutsche, and ethnic Hungarian recruits. The division was intended to have three cavalry regiments of two battalions each, but due to lack of men and equipment it could only field two understrength regiments as its main combat units.
Initially the division was commanded by SS-Oberführer Waldemar Fegelein, but in March he was replaced by SS-Standartenführer Karl Gesele. The unit saw action against Soviets as a part of 6. SS-Panzerarmee during the final weeks of war, before surrendering to Americans in Austria in May. It was named after the Prussian general Adolf von Lützow.38th SS Division Nibelungen
The 38th SS Division "Nibelungen" (German: 38. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division "Nibelungen")was a Waffen-SS formation of Nazi Germany during World War II. It was formed in March 1945 from the staff and trainees of the SS-Junkerschule (SS training camp) at Bad Tölz, and named after the Nibelung family of German legend.III (Germanic) SS Panzer Corps
The III (Germanic) SS Panzer Corps (III. (germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps) was a German Waffen-SS armoured corps which saw action on the Eastern Front during World War II. The (germanische) (lit. Germanic) part of its designation was granted as it was composed primarily of foreign volunteer formations.List of Waffen-SS division commanders
This is a list of Waffen-SS division commanders.List of Waffen-SS divisions
All divisions in the Waffen-SS were ordered in a single series of numbers as formed, regardless of type. Those tagged with nationalities were at least nominally recruited from those nationalities. Many of the higher-numbered units were small battlegroups (Kampfgruppen), i.e., divisions in name only.List of Waffen-SS units
This is an incomplete list of Waffen-SS units.SS Fortress Regiment 1
SS Fortress Regiment 1 (German: SS-Festungs-Regiment 1) was an improvised unit of the Waffen SS formed in February 1945, during World War II, for service in the defence of the German city of Breslau, during the Red Army's Siege of Breslau. The regiment engaged in savage house to house fighting against the invading Red Army that lasted 82 days but surrendered at the end of the siege on 6 May 1945.SS Panzer Brigade Gross
SS Panzer Brigade Gross was a unit of the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War II, under the command of Obersturmbannführer Martin Gross. The brigade was formed from the SS Panzer Training and Replacement Regiment based in Dundaga, Latvia and the SS Panzer Troop Training Regiment Seelager based at the training grounds at Ventspils together with the SS Reconnaissance Training Battalion in August 1944. The brigade consisted of two infantry battalions, a panzer battalion of two companies with Panzer III and Panzer IV, a reconnaissance battalion, a StuG battalion, a pioneer company and a Flak company.The brigade participated in the fighting in Courland and Riga in August and September before it was transferred west to training grounds in Sennelager and Steinhagen in November where it was broken up for replacements. It was not formally disbanded until April 1945.Schutzmannschaft-Brigade Siegling
Schutzmannschaft-Brigade Siegling (also German: Schutzmänner-Brigade Siegling) was a Belarusian Auxiliary Police brigade formed by Nazi Germany in July 1944 in East Prussia, from members of six local volunteer battalions of Schutzmannschaft following the Soviet Operation Bagration. The six retreating collaborationist units who joined Siegling included Bataillon 57 (ukrainische), Bataillon 60 (weißruthenische), Bataillon 61, 62, 63 (ukrainische), and Bataillon 64 (weißruthenische).Schutzmannschaft Battalion 118
Schutzmannschaft Battalion 118 was a Schutzmannschaft auxiliary police battalion (Schuma) formed by the Nazis in the spring of 1942 in Kiev in the Reichskommissariat Ukraine. The battalion was split away from the Schuma Battalion 115, formed from the some members of paramilitary "Bukovinian Battalion". 100 members of the third company of the Battalion 115 formed the first company of Battalion 118; it was considered the elite of the battalion. Additional two new companies were composed of Soviet prisoner-of-war (mostly Ukrainians, Russians and Belarusians) and local volunteers from Kiev region. Other nationalities of the Soviet Union were represented as well including even from the Caucasus. The German commander of the battalion was Sturmbannführer Erich Körner, who had his own staff of Germans, commanded by Emil Zass.In 1944, the battalion, led by the former Red Army officer Vasiura Hryhoriy (aged 27, executed in 1986 by the USSR), was merged back to the Battalion 115 and transferred from East Prussia to France, where it joined the 30th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS.V SS Mountain Corps
V SS Mountain Corps was a Waffen-SS formation that existed in later periods of World War II.
The Corps fought against Yugoslav Partisans in the Balkans as part of 2nd Panzer Army from October 1943 to December 1944. In 1945, the Corps fought on the Oder line as part of the 9th Army, in the Frankfurt am Oder area and in the Battle of Berlin that followed. Throughout the corp's history, its commanders were Artur Phleps, Friedrich-Wilhelm Krüger, and Friedrich Jeckeln. Walter Harzer served as chief of staff.XIII SS Army Corps
XIII SS Army Corps was formed August 1944 at Breslau. It was moved to France and the Western Front. By the end of April 1945, some XIII Corps operated in Czechoslovakia where they encountered the 97th Infantry Division. Others fought north of the Danube River near Regen.XII SS Corps
The XII SS Army Corps was a German corps of the Waffen-SS. It saw action on both the Western and Eastern Fronts during World War II.X SS Corps
The X SS Corps (German: Generalkommando X. SS-Armeekorps or Gruppe Krappe) was a short-lived SS corps-level headquarters employed on the Eastern Front in 1945 during World War II.