2013 FA Cup Final

The 2013 FA Cup Final was the 132nd final of the FA Cup, the world's oldest football cup competition. The match, contested by Manchester City and Wigan Athletic, took place on 11 May 2013 at Wembley Stadium in London, and kicked off at 5:15 p.m.[5] It was Wigan's first FA Cup final and Manchester City's 10th. Wigan pulled off a shock victory against favourites City, winning in circumstances reminiscent of the 1988 FA Cup Final when Wimbledon overcame Liverpool.[6] Ben Watson's stoppage-time headed goal produced the "greatest FA Cup Final upset for a quarter of a century".[7] In the United Kingdom, the match was televised by ITV and ESPN.

The competition winners were awarded a place in the group stage of the 2013–14 Europa League competition. Because Manchester City and their semi-final opponent Chelsea had already qualified for the following season's Champions League by virtue of the clubs' league positions, Wigan gained a Europa League place by winning their semi-final match.[8]

Wigan owner Dave Whelan led out the Wigan team before kick off along with manager Roberto Martínez.[9] The only goal of the game came a few minutes after City's Pablo Zabaleta had been sent off for a second yellow card, becoming the third player to be sent off in an FA Cup final.[10][11] The cup was jointly lifted by playing captain Emmerson Boyce and club captain Gary Caldwell.[12]

On 20 May, Wigan had an open-top bus tour of the town to celebrate the FA Cup victory.[13] Manchester City sacked manager Roberto Mancini two days later, confirming rumours of the manager's fate before the match. Wigan failed to avoid relegation from the Premier League, becoming the first team to win the Cup and succumb to relegation in the same season.[14][15]

2013 FA Cup Final
2013 FA Cup Final match programme cover
The match programme cover
Event2012–13 FA Cup
Manchester City Wigan Athletic
0 1
Date11 May 2013
VenueWembley Stadium, London
Man of the MatchCallum McManaman (Wigan Athletic)[1]
RefereeAndre Marriner (West Midlands)[2]
10 °C (50 °F)[4]

Route to the final

Manchester City

Round Opposition Score
3rd Watford (H) 3–0
4th Stoke City (A) 1–0
5th Leeds United (H) 4–0
6th Barnsley (H) 5–0
SF Chelsea (N) 2–1
Key: (H) = Home venue; (A) = Away venue; (N) = Neutral venue.

Entering the FA Cup in the third round by virtue of Premier League status, Manchester City's first game was at home against Watford. In City's side, a notable absentee was Joe Hart who was replaced by substitute goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon. Hart had been designated the club's domestic cup goalkeeper but had conceded four goals in his previous game. The City team took control after a mixed first 20 minutes. Carlos Tevez and Gareth Barry scored in the first half.[16] In the second half, substitute academy player Marcos Lopes scored within seconds of taking the field in the 90th minute to become the club's youngest ever goalscorer at the age of 17 years and eight days.[17]

City progressed to a fourth round match at the Britannia Stadium to play Stoke City. In a match dominated by City it took until the 86th minute for City to score a goal from a powerful drive from Pablo Zabaleta.[18] The fifth-round game took place on 17 February against Leeds United, a strong 4–0 win boosted club spirits after progress in the league had stagnated. Although Leeds had knocked out Tottenham Hotspur in the previous round, they conceded two goals including a penalty by Sergio Agüero in the first 15 minutes, and rarely looked capable of reducing the deficit.[19] Further goals by Tevez and Agüero sealed the tie, and City's progression to the sixth round, where they were drawn at home to Championship club Barnsley.

Barnsley, having played second- and third-tier teams in their previous cup fixtures, had their backs to the wall against City, and the disparity showed as they took an hour to record their first shot on target, by which point they had conceded four. Tevez scored a hat-trick and set up two more for David Silva and Aleksandar Kolarov as City swept their opponents aside.[20]

In the semi-finals, City took on defending champions Chelsea at Wembley for the fourth time in the FA Cup, and the first time since 1971,[21] in the semi-final on 14 April. In a fast-paced match, City took control largely pinning Chelsea back for long periods and took the lead in the 35th minute, when Samir Nasri's poorly-timed cross was deflected back into his own path for him to sweep the ball over Petr Čech. Chelsea, the less energetic of the teams picked themselves up but failed to take control of the game, and were punished two minutes into the second half when a quick Gareth Barry free-kick put the ball on the head of Agüero, who sent a high looping header into the far corner beyond Čech's reach. City continued to press and had more opportunities to score but when Fernando Torres came onto the field from the substitute's bench, Chelsea fashioned a chance for Demba Ba, whose reflex kick gave Chelsea a goal. Resurgent, Chelsea dominated the last 25 minutes, the ball barely leaving City's half but for a handful of wasted counter-attacks, while a series of defensive substitutions confirmed City's intent to play the game out rather than seeking a third.[22] Despite the pressure they exerted, Chelsea were unable to score, and defeat meant they had failed to reach the FA Cup final and would not be able to defend their trophy. Chelsea's goal meant that City were within 29 minutes of being the first team since 1966 to reach an FA Cup final without conceding a goal.[23]

Wigan Athletic

Round Opposition Score
A.F.C. Bournemouth (H)
A.F.C. Bournemouth (A)
4th Macclesfield Town (A) 1–0
5th Huddersfield Town (A) 4–1
6th Everton (A) 3–0
SF Millwall (N) 2–0
Key: (H) = Home venue; (A) = Away venue; (N) = Neutral venue.

Premier League Wigan's FA Cup campaign began in the third round against League One AFC Bournemouth. Roberto Martínez fielded a number of fringe players, and made nine changes to the team that played a Premier League match four days earlier.[24] Despite having home advantage, the club was unable to progress to the next round in one game, drawing 1–1. Towards the end of the first half, Eunan O'Kane struck a sweet shot from outside the penalty area into the top right corner, while Jordi Gómez levelled the tie midway through the second half on the rebound from the penalty spot after two of his teammates had struck the bar.[25] By the time of the replay, AFC Bournemouth were on an impressive 18-match unbeaten run, but conceded the tie and unbeaten run through poor defensive work as Mauro Boselli picked up a weak pass from the Bournemouth midfield to their own defence, thumping the ball home from some way out when no defender closed him down.[26] Bournemouth struck the bar twice, but while both teams came close to scoring, Boselli's goal put Wigan through to the next round.

Wigan were drawn against non-league Macclesfield Town in the fourth round. Snow had to be cleared from the pitch on the morning of the game to avoid it being postponed.[27] Gómez scored the only goal from a penalty awarded after Callum McManaman was brought down in the box in the sixth minute of play. The early goal did not dent the spirits of Macclesfield, the lowest ranked team remaining in the competition, who came back strongly coming close to equalising, but Wigan progressed with a 1–0 win. Victory gave Wigan their second appearance in the FA Cup Fifth round since the founding of the club in 1932.[27]

Wigan were drawn away again – their first game against Bournemouth was their only home game of the campaign – to Huddersfield Town. The team quickly took control, McManaman scored his first FA Cup goal of the season on 31 minutes after running into the box and jinking around the nearside defender to blast the ball over the goalkeeper. Less than ten minutes later, Gómez' shot was deflected onto the foot of Arouna Koné, who was close enough to the goal that his outstretched leg almost crossed the goal line, though he was questionably. Goals from James McArthur and Koné's second sealed the tie, although Lee Novak's header, leaving goalkeeper Joel Robles on the goal line, gave Huddersfield a consolation.[28]

A quarter-final draw against Everton at Goodison Park seemed to spell the end of Wigan's cup run when the club drew Premier League opposition for the first time. Everton were just pulling out of a bad run of form, having taken 12 points from 27. Though Everton had the larger share of possession, Wigan proved more clinical and efficient destroying Everton's hopes with three goals in four minutes.[29] Although Everton continued to fight, Wigan had a third clean sheet and the first FA Cup semi-final appearance in the club's history.

For Wigan's fifth appearance at Wembley Stadium, they drew Championship side Millwall, while Manchester City and Chelsea had the "power match" of the penultimate round on the following day.[30] Though the match was scrappy in the beginning, Wigan scored in the 25th minute when Koné hit a perfect cross onto the foot of Shaun Maloney, who found himself in space in front of the six-yard box and hit his shot under Millwall goalkeeper David Forde. While the possession statistics suggested a fairly even match, Millwall's failure to register a shot on target told as Wigan instead went close several times before Gómez play a well-timed through ball past the Millwall defence to McManaman, who picked it up and took it round Forde before slotting home Wigan's second in the 78th minute, sealing the win for Wigan.[31]


Manchester City appeared in an FA Cup Final for the tenth time since the club was founded in 1880. The club had won the cup five times (in 1904, 1934, 1956, 1969 and 2011) and were runners-up four times (1926, 1933, 1955 and 1981). Wigan Athletic made their first appearance in an FA Cup Final since the club was founded in 1932.[32]

Wigan Athletic wore the club's black away kit for the final and used the away team dressing room and were allocated the East End of the stadium. Manchester City fans occupied the West End and the team played in their home kit after winning the coin toss to decide who would wear which kit.[33]

Ticket prices for the final started at £45 and were available at £65, £85 and £115, with a £10 discount for concessions.[34] Manchester City received an initial allocation of 25,000 tickets, later increased to 31,779, while Wigan requested 21,000 tickets, later increased to a 25,000 allocation.[35][36]

The traditional pre-match anthem, "Abide with Me", was performed by musical quartet Amore alongside the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra. The national anthem was also performed by Amore with the Band of the Grenadier Guards.[37]



Manchester City0–1Wigan Athletic
Report Watson Goal 90+1'
Manchester City
Wigan Athletic
GK 1 England Joe Hart
RB 5 Argentina Pablo Zabaleta Yellow card 60' Yellow-red card 84'
CB 4 Belgium Vincent Kompany (c)
CB 33 Serbia Matija Nastasić Yellow card 75'
LB 22 France Gaël Clichy
RM 21 Spain David Silva
CM 42 Ivory Coast Yaya Touré
CM 18 England Gareth Barry Yellow card 87' Substituted off 90+2'
LM 8 France Samir Nasri Substituted off 54'
CF 16 Argentina Sergio Agüero
CF 32 Argentina Carlos Tevez Substituted off 69'
GK 30 Romania Costel Pantilimon
DF 6 England Joleon Lescott
DF 13 Serbia Aleksandar Kolarov
MF 7 England James Milner Substituted in 54'
MF 14 Spain Javi García
MF 17 England Jack Rodwell Substituted in 69'
FW 10 Bosnia and Herzegovina Edin Džeko Substituted in 90+2'
Italy Roberto Mancini
Man City vs Wigan 2013-05-11
GK 1 Spain Joel Robles Yellow card 90+3'
RB 17 Barbados Emmerson Boyce (c)
CB 33 Austria Paul Scharner
CB 3 Paraguay Antolín Alcaraz
LB 18 Honduras Roger Espinoza
RM 4 Republic of Ireland James McCarthy
CM 16 Scotland James McArthur
LM 14 Spain Jordi Gómez Substituted off 81'
RF 15 England Callum McManaman
CF 2 Ivory Coast Arouna Koné
LF 10 Scotland Shaun Maloney
GK 26 Oman Ali Al-Habsi
DF 5 Scotland Gary Caldwell
DF 25 Spain Román Golobart
MF 8 England Ben Watson Substituted in 81'
MF 20 Scotland Fraser Fyvie
FW 9 Argentina Franco Di Santo
FW 11 Chile Ángelo Henríquez
Spain Roberto Martínez

Man of the match

Match officials

Match rules

  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Penalty shoot-out if scores still level.
  • Seven named substitutes.
  • Maximum of three substitutions.


Manchester City Wigan Athletic
Total shots 15 15
Shots on target 12 7
Ball possession 52% 48%
Corner kicks 5 3
Fouls committed 11 5
Offsides 4 2
Yellow cards 3 1
Red cards 1 0

Source: BBC Sport[38]


As FA Cup winners, Wigan Athletic received £1.8 million from the FA Cup Prize Fund, while Manchester City earned £900,000.[39]


  1. ^ a b Veevers, Nicholas (11 May 2013). "Cup wonder for Wigan". TheFA.com. The Football Association. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
  2. ^ a b c d e f "Marriner takes charge of final". TheFA.com. The Football Association. 17 April 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
  3. ^ Bloom, Ben (11 May 2013). "FA Cup final – Manchester City v Wigan Athletic: live". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
  4. ^ http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGLL/2013/5/11/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA
  5. ^ "FA turn back on traditional 3pm kick-off and confirm late start for FA Cup final". Mail Online. Associated Newspapers. 16 April 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
  6. ^ Taylor, Daniel (11 May 2013). "Ben Watson heads Wigan to FA Cup final glory against Manchester City". The Observer. Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
  7. ^ The Sunday Times, Sport, page 1
  8. ^ "FA Cup final to see Wigan write new chapter". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 15 April 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
  9. ^ Rostance, Tom (11 May 2013). "2013 FA Cup Final: As it happened". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 15 May 2013.
  10. ^ Draper, Rob (11 May 2013). "Manchester City 0 Wigan 1: Wat an upset! Mancini heading for the sack after Watson sinks City with last-minute header to win FA Cup for Martinez's underdogs". Daily Mail. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
  11. ^ Bloom, Ben (11 May 2013). "FA Cup final – Manchester City v Wigan Athletic: live". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
  12. ^ "Scotland defender Gary Caldwell laughs as he leads Wigan up to lift trophy.. without having played a minute". Daily Record. 12 May 2013. Archived from the original on 27 April 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
  13. ^ Drayton, John (20 March 2013). "Championship-bound Wigan refuse to let relegation ruin FA Cup glory as Martinez's men tour their town in open-top bus". Daily Mail. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
  14. ^ "Roberto Mancini sacked as Manchester City manager". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 13 May 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
  15. ^ "The inside story of Wigan's win over Manchester City in the 2013 final". BBC Sport. 18 February 2018. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
  16. ^ "Man City 3–0 Watford". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 5 January 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
  17. ^ Clayton, David (7 January 2013). "Marcos makes his mark!". mcfc.co.uk. Manchester City FC. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
  18. ^ Magowan, Alistair (5 January 2013). "Stoke 0–1 Man City". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 17 April 2013.
  19. ^ McNulty, Phil (17 February 2013). "Man City 4–0 Leeds United". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 17 April 2013.
  20. ^ Bevan, Chris (9 March 2013). "Man City 5–0 Barnsley". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 17 April 2013.
  21. ^ Bagchi, Rob (12 April 2013). "Chelsea and Manchester City bring rarity value to FA Cup semi-final". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
  22. ^ McNulty, Phil (14 April 2013). "Chelsea 1–2 Man City". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 17 April 2013.
  23. ^ Phillips, Owen; Bevan, Chris (12 April 2013). "FA Cup: Chelsea v Man City: Who will win at Wembley?". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 17 April 2013.
  24. ^ Hughes, Si (5 January 2013). "Wigan Athletic 1 Bournemouth 1: match report". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
  25. ^ "Wigan 1–1 Bournemouth". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 5 January 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
  26. ^ Hassan, Nabil (15 January 2013). "Bournemouth 0–1 Wigan". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 9 May 2013.
  27. ^ a b Bevan, Chris (26 January 2013). "Macclesfield 0–1 Wigan". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 16 April 2013.
  28. ^ Magowan, Alistair (17 February 2013). "Huddersfield 1–4 Wigan". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 9 May 2013.
  29. ^ McNulty, Phil (9 March 2013). "Everton 0–3 Wigan". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 9 May 2013.
  30. ^ "FA Cup semi-final draw: City await winners of Chelsea and United replay in last four". Mail Online. Associated Newspapers. 10 March 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
  31. ^ McNulty, Phil (13 April 2013). "Millwall 0–2 Wigan". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 9 May 2013.
  32. ^ "Cup Final Results". TheFA.com. The Football Association. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
  33. ^ "Latics in black for final". wiganlatics.co.uk (Wigan Athletic FC). 16 April 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
  34. ^ "2013 FA Cup Final Ticket Prices". TheFA.com (The Football Association). 17 April 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
  35. ^ "FA Cup Final – Updated ticket information". mcfc.co.uk (Manchester City FC). 3 May 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
  36. ^ "FA Cup Final Ticket Details". wiganlatics.co.uk (Wigan Athletic FC). 17 April 2013. Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
  37. ^ "2013 FA Cup Final day schedule". TheFA.com (The Football Association). 11 May 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
  38. ^ McNulty, Phil (11 May 2013). "Man City 0–1 Wigan". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 11 May 2013.
  39. ^ "2013 FA Cup Final". wembleystadium.com (Wembley Stadium). 11 May 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.

External links

2013 Korean FA Cup

The 2013 Korean FA Cup, known as the Hana Bank FA Cup for sponsorship reasons, was the 18th edition of Korean FA Cup. It began on 10 March 2013. The cup winner were guaranteed a place in the 2014 AFC Champions League.

2014 FA Cup Final

The 2014 FA Cup Final was the 133rd final of the FA Cup, the world's oldest football cup competition. The match was contested between Arsenal and Hull City at Wembley Stadium on 17 May 2014. Hull City made their first appearance in an FA Cup Final, while Arsenal equalled Manchester United's record of 18 final appearances. It was the first time since 2010 that the FA Cup Final had taken place after the end of the Premier League season.Each club needed to win five matches to reach the final. Arsenal beat three of their divisional rivals and needed penalties to defeat cup holders Wigan Athletic. By contrast, four of Hull City's opponents were from the lower divisions; they played one replay in the fifth round against Brighton & Hove Albion.

The match was won by Arsenal, a joint-record 11th Cup, after extra time. Hull scored with two goals in the opening ten minutes from James Chester and Curtis Davies, but Arsenal came back with goals from Santi Cazorla and Laurent Koscielny to level the match by the end of regulation time. Aaron Ramsey scored the winner 11 minutes from the end of extra time.

As Arsenal qualified for the Champions League by their league position, Hull City entered the 2014–15 UEFA Europa League at the third qualifying round; however, due to a change in UEFA rules, this was the last season the runners-up would enter the Europa League if the winners had already qualified for European competition.

Ben Watson (footballer, born July 1985)

Ben Watson (born 9 July 1985) is an English professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Nottingham Forest. He has previously played for Wigan Athletic, Crystal Palace and Watford, and had loan spells at Queens Park Rangers and West Bromwich Albion. He has also represented England at U21 level.

Watson won an FA Cup winners medal in 2013, by scoring a stoppage time header and the only goal of the game against Manchester City. This was the first time Wigan Athletic had won the FA Cup.

D. Tokijan

Darimosuvito Tokijan (born 14 February 1963), more commonly known as D. Tokijan, is a Singaporean football midfielder who played for Singapore in the 1984 Asian Cup. He also played for Jurong Town and Singapore FA.After retiring, Tokijan has been a football coach, and was the Geylang United Prime League team head coach in 2007, having spent the previous five years as coach of SAFSA. He was the assistant coach for Tanjong Pagar United F.C. until the end of 2013 season. In 2014, Tokijan was appointed as assistant coach to Marko Kraljević in Balestier Khalsa, and was also responsible as the head coach of their Prime League squad.

Dave Whelan

David Whelan (born 24 November 1936) is an English former footballer. During his football career, he played for Blackburn Rovers and Crewe Alexandra. Whelan is the former owner of Football League Championship club Wigan Athletic, having also been the chairman of the club for twenty years, before passing the position over to his grandson, David Sharpe, who eventually passed the ownership over to International Entertainment Corporation. He is also owner of the DW Stadium, home to Football League Championship Football club Wigan Athletic and Rugby League club Wigan Warriors. In July 2015, Whelan received an honorary degree from the University of Bolton, making him a Doctor of Business Administration.

Emmerson Boyce

Emmerson Orlando Boyce (born 24 September 1979) is a professional footballer who is currently assistant manager at Cheshire Football League side Egerton FC. He usually played as a right back, but could also be deployed in the centre of defence or at right wingback.

Born in Aylesbury, England, Boyce started his career at the age of sixteen as an apprentice at Luton Town. He rose through the ranks and eventually established himself in the first team, and went on to make 185 league appearances for the club, scoring eight goals.

He joined Crystal Palace on a free transfer in 2004, where he played in the Premier League for the first time, but he and his teammates were unable to prevent the club from being relegated to the Championship. He spent two years at the club, making 69 league appearances and scoring one goal.

After Crystal Palace failed to gain promotion, Boyce returned to Premier League football in 2006, this time with Wigan Athletic after completing a move for a fee of £1 million, and was a key player during his first season when the club narrowly avoided relegation. He remained an active member of the first-team throughout his spell at Wigan, and is the club's Premier League appearance record holder. In May 2013, he captained Wigan Athletic to victory in the 2013 FA Cup Final in a 1–0 win over Manchester City. He last played for Blackpool in the 2015–16 League One season.

Boyce has also represented the Barbados national team, making his debut for the side in 2008.

Franco Di Santo

Franco Matías Di Santo (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈfɾaŋko ði ˈsanto]; born 7 April 1989) is an Argentine footballer who plays as a striker for Rayo Vallecano in the La Liga.

Di Santo began his career at Chilean club Audax Italiano, earning a £3.4 million move to Chelsea in 2008 and a first-team place following good form in the reserves. After a season on loan at Blackburn Rovers, he moved to Wigan Athletic for £2 million in 2010, where he won the FA Cup in 2013. After totalling 14 goals in 122 Premier League matches, he was released following Wigan's relegation to the Championship in 2013. He then moved to Werder Bremen in Germany, spending two seasons there, before making a controversial switch to rivals Schalke 04.Di Santo has represented the Argentina national football team on three occasions. He was nicknamed 'Crespito' (Little Crespo) after Chelsea's former Argentinian striker Hernán Crespo.

History of Wigan Athletic F.C.

The history of Wigan Athletic Football Club starts in 1932, when the club were founded. They were elected to The Football League in 1978, and reached the Premier League for the first time in 2005. Their first major honour was victory in the 2013 FA Cup Final.

James McCarthy (footballer)

James Patrick McCarthy (born 12 November 1990) is a professional footballer who plays as a central midfielder for Premier League club Everton and the Irish national team.

McCarthy made over 100 appearances for Hamilton Academical as a teenager, before being transferred to Wigan Athletic in 2009 for an initial £1.2 million which was a record sale fee for Hamilton Academical. After winning the FA Cup with Wigan in 2013, he moved to Everton, suffering from various injuries including a broken leg in 2018 which ruled him out for over a year.

Born and raised in Scotland, McCarthy elected to represent the Republic of Ireland at international level and made his competitive debut for their senior team on 26 March 2011 in a UEFA Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia. McCarthy was included in the Irish squad at UEFA Euro 2016.

Jean Beausejour

Jean André Emanuel Beausejour Coliqueo (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈɟʝam boseˈʝuɾ]; born 1 June 1984) is a Chilean professional footballer who plays as a left-sided wing-back for Primera División club Universidad de Chile.

He has played in Chile, Switzerland, Brazil, Belgium, Mexico and England, where he won the League Cup with Birmingham City and the FA Cup with Wigan Athletic.

Beausejour made his debut for the Chilean national team in 2004 and his 100th appearance for his country in 2018. He was a member of the Copa América-winning squads in 2015 and 2016, and is the only Chilean to score in two consecutive World Cups (2010 and 2014).

Joel Robles

Joel Robles Blázquez (Spanish pronunciation: [ɟʝoˈel ˈroβles]; born 17 June 1990) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Real Betis.

Robles started his professional career at Atlético Madrid, initially in the C team in 2008, before progressing into the B team a year later, before being promoted into the senior squad. He moved on loan to Rayo Vallecano in January 2012, and again a year later to Premier League side Wigan Athletic, where he was part of their 2013 FA Cup Final-winning side before joining Everton.

Robles played internationally for Spain at under-16, under-17, under-21 and under-23 level, and was part of the squad that won the 2013 European Under-21 Championship.

Jordi Gómez

Jordi Gómez García-Penche (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈɟʝoɾði ˈɣomeθ]; born 24 May 1985) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Cypriot club Omonia as a central midfielder.

After playing for the reserve teams of both Barcelona and Espanyol, he went on to spend the vast majority of his career in England, mainly with Wigan Athletic, with whom he won the FA Cup in 2013.

Matija Nastasić

Matija Nastasić (Serbian Cyrillic: Матија Настасић, pronounced [mǎtija nǎstasitɕ]; born 28 March 1993) is a Serbian professional footballer who plays for German club Schalke 04 and the Serbia national team as a centre back.

He began his career at Partizan, and after a loan to Teleoptik joined Fiorentina in 2011. After one season there he transferred to Manchester City for €15 million and a swap with Stefan Savić, winning the Premier League in 2014, despite injury problems. In 2015, he joined Schalke, initially on loan.

Nastasić made his senior international debut for Serbia in 2012, and has gone on to earn over 25 caps.

Maynor Figueroa

Maynor Alexis Figueroa Róchez (born 2 May 1983) is a Honduran professional footballer who plays as a centre back or left back for the Houston Dynamo in MLS. He currently plays for the Honduras national football team, where he serves as captain. He spent most of his career at Wigan Athletic, where he made 179 Premier League appearances and won the 2013 FA Cup. Figueroa has made over 100 international appearances since 2003, including at three CONCACAF Gold Cups, two FIFA World Cups and the 2012 Olympics.

Pablo Zabaleta

Pablo Javier Zabaleta Girod (American Spanish: [ˈpaβlo saβaˈleta]; born 16 January 1985) is an Argentine professional footballer who plays as a right back for English Premier League club West Ham United and the Argentina national team. Zabaleta can operate on both sides of the pitch as a full-back and is known for his tenacious style of play, and has captained his club on numerous occasions.

With Manchester City, Zabaleta won all of English football's major honours: the FA Cup (2011), the Premier League (2012 and 2014), and the League Cup (2014 and 2016). Before joining Manchester City, Zabaleta played for La Liga club RCD Espanyol, where he won the 2005–06 Copa del Rey. He made 333 appearances over nine seasons for Manchester City before signing for London-based club West Ham United in the summer of 2017.

A full international since 2005, Zabaleta represented Argentina at the 2011 and 2015 Copa América, and was part of their team which finished as runners-up in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He was also in their team which won gold at the 2008 Olympics.

Roberto Mancini

Roberto Mancini (Italian pronunciation: [roˈbɛrto manˈtʃiːni]; born 27 November 1964) is an Italian football manager and former player who is the manager of the Italy national team. As a player, Mancini operated as a deep-lying forward, and was best known for his time at Sampdoria, where he played more than 550 matches, and helped the team win the Serie A league title, four Coppa Italia titles, and the European Cup Winners' Cup. He was capped 36 times for Italy, taking part at UEFA Euro 1988 and the 1990 FIFA World Cup, achieving semi-final finishes in both tournaments. In 1997, after 15 years at Sampdoria, Mancini left the club to join Lazio, where he won a further Scudetto, as well as the Cup Winners' Cup, the UEFA Super Cup and two more Coppa Italia titles.

As a player, Mancini would often give team talks at half-time. Towards the end of his playing career he became an assistant to Sven-Göran Eriksson at Lazio. His first manager role was at a cash-stricken Fiorentina at only 35 years old. He won a Coppa Italia there, but left with the team facing bankruptcy. Months later he took over as manager at Lazio, where again he inherited financial constraints and was forced to lose a number of key players. With limited resources during his two-season tenure, he guided the club to another Coppa Italia.

In 2004, Mancini was given the chance to manage a major club with more resources when he was offered the manager's job at Inter. During his first tenure at Inter, the club won three consecutive Serie A titles, an Inter club record, and an Italian record 17 consecutive league game victories stretching nearly half a season; Mancini became Inter's most successful manager in 30 years. Despite his domestic success, many pundits saw the repeated failure to win the coveted Champions League as the main reason for his dismissal in 2008.

After being out of football for over a year, Mancini was appointed Manchester City manager in December 2009. Under his stewardship, he instilled a winning culture at the club, taking Manchester City from a mid-table club to the top level of English football, combining defensive solidity with attacking flair. In the 2010–11 season, his first full season at Manchester City, Mancini guided the club to Champions League football and the FA Cup, the club's first major trophy in 35 years. In the 2011–12 season, Mancini guided Manchester City to the club's first league title in 44 years in an enthralling last day of the season, winning 3–2, with two goals in injury time in what was called "the best match of the best last day of the season in English football history." Under Mancini, City progressed to the 2013 FA Cup Final, but were defeated by the soon-to-be relegated Wigan Athletic 1–0. Mancini was sacked two days later, before took over at Turkish club Galatasaray in September 2013, winning the Turkish Cup in his only season at the club.

Regarded as a cup specialist, Mancini has reached at least a semi-final of a major national cup competition in every season he has been a manager, from 2002 to 2013. He holds a number of records, including most consecutive Coppa Italia finals from 2004 to 2008, with Lazio once in 2004 and with Inter in the following four seasons.

Shaun Maloney

Shaun Richard Maloney (born 24 January 1983) is a Scottish former professional football player, who is now employed as a coach with the Belgium national team. He played for Celtic for over ten years during his playing career. Maloney also played for Aston Villa, Wigan Athletic, Chicago Fire, Hull City and the Scotland national team as an attacking midfielder or winger. Since retiring as a player, Maloney has worked for Celtic and the Belgium national team as a coach.

Maloney started his career at Celtic, playing 215 matches across all competitions and winning honours including five Scottish Premier League titles and five Scottish Cups. He was the first player to claim both the SPFA Players' Player of the Year and the SPFA Young Player of the Year awards in the same season, doing so in 2005/06. He had a spell in the Premier League with Aston Villa, before returning for a second spell at Celtic. Maloney returned to English football in 2011 with Wigan Athletic, helping them win the 2013 FA Cup Final. Maloney then briefly played in Major League Soccer for Chicago Fire. He last played for Hull City for two seasons, before retiring due to injury in 2017. Maloney made his senior international debut for Scotland in 2005 and he went on to earn 47 caps, scoring seven goals.

Wigan Athletic F.C.

Wigan Athletic Football Club () is a professional football club in Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, which competes in the Championship, the second tier of the English football league system.

Founded in 1932, the club have played at the 25,000-seater DW Stadium since 1999, before which they played at Springfield Park. Their colours are blue and white stripes, although all-blue shirts have been common throughout the club's history.

Wigan were elected to the Football League in 1978, and competed in the Premier League from 2005 to 2013.

They won the 2012–13 FA Cup with a 1–0 victory against Manchester City at Wembley Stadium, when Ben Watson scored the winning goal. The club also reached the League Cup final in 2006.

Wigan are also three-time winners of the League One championship (2003, 2016 & 2018) and twice winners of the EFL Trophy, in 1985 and 1999.

They made their European debut in the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League.

Wrexham A.F.C. 2–1 Arsenal F.C.

The 1991–92 FA Cup third-round match between Wrexham and Arsenal was played at the Racecourse Ground, Wrexham on 4 January 1992. Billed as a potential cup upset by the media, the visitors went into the match as favourites given the gulf in divisions that separated the two teams. Arsenal entered the FA Cup in the third round, as they participated in the Football League First Division, while Wrexham of the Fourth Division won their first two ties to reach this stage of the competition.

Watched by a near-capacity crowd, the visitors Arsenal began the tie more strongly, but failed to convert their chances. They took the lead minutes before half-time when Alan Smith scored from a Paul Merson cross. Wrexham's performance improved the longer the match went, and they equalised through Mickey Thomas's free kick in the 82nd minute. Two minutes later, the home side went ahead after Steve Watkin collected the ball from his teammate Gordon Davies and diverted it past goalkeeper David Seaman. A pitch invasion occurred once the whistle blew for full-time; the Wrexham players and staff joined in celebrations with their supporters. Wrexham's reward was a fourth-round tie against West Ham United which they lost in a replay.

Referred to as one of the greatest FA Cup "giant-killings" of all time, Arsenal manager George Graham described Wrexham's win as his "lowest moment in football." Graham recovered to guide his team to glory in the competition the following season, as they beat Sheffield Wednesday in the 1993 Cup final.

Qualifying rounds
National teams
League competitions
Cup competitions
Youth competitions
Women's competitions
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Community Shield
European Cup Winners' Cup Final
Full Members' Cup Final
Football League play-off Final
Other matches
FA Cup Final
League Cup Final
FA Community Shield
FA Trophy Final
Football League play-off Final
Football League Trophy Finals

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.