2003–04 FA Cup

The 2003–04 FA Cup was the 123rd staging of England and the world's oldest football competition, the FA Cup. The competition began on 23 August 2003, with the lowest-ranked of the entrants competing in the Extra Preliminary round. In the Third Round, the clubs from the Premiership and Division One competed in the competition for the first time.

The semi-finals were staged at neutral venues and, like the final, would not be replayed in the event of a draw. The competition culminated with the cup final at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff for a fourth year in a row, since Wembley Stadium was still in the rebuilding process. The cup was won by Manchester United for a record 11th time, with a 3–0 victory over Millwall from Division One.

The appearance in the Cup Final by Millwall, a Level 2 team, marked the first time in 12 years that a team outside Level 1 of the English football pyramid appeared in the final game.

2003–04 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsArsenal
ChampionsManchester United
(11th title)
Top goal scorer(s)Garry Barnes
(8 goals)


Round Date (weekend of) Matches Clubs Prize money
Extra Preliminary Round Saturday 23 August 2003 73 661 → 588 £500
Preliminary Round Saturday 30 August 2003 182 588 → 406 £1,000
First Round Qualifying Saturday 20 September 2003 124 406 → 282 £2,250
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 27 September 2003 84 282 → 198 £3,750
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 11 October 2003 42 198 → 156 £5,000
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 25 October 2003 32 156 → 124 £10,000
First Round Proper Saturday 8 November 2003 40 124 → 84 £16,000
Second Round Proper Saturday 6 December 2003 20 84 → 64 £24,000
Third Round Proper Saturday 3 January 2004 32 64 → 32 £40,000
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 24 January 2004 16 32 → 16 £60,000
Fifth Round Proper Saturday 14 February 2004 8 16 → 8 £120,000
Sixth Round Proper Saturday 6 March 2004 4 8 → 4 £300,000
Semi-finals Saturday 3 April 2004 2 4 → 2 £900,000
Final Saturday 22 May 2004 1 2 → 1 £1,000,000

First round proper

This round is the first in which Football League teams from League One and League Two compete with non-league teams. Luton's Adrian Forbes and Sheffield Wednesday's Adam Proudlock netted hat tricks. Shildon AFC, of the Arngrove Northern League (level 9 on the football league pyramid), were the lowest ranked team left in the competition in the first round.

  • Ties were played over the weekend of 8 November 2003.
Tie no Home team Score Away team
1 Lincoln City 3 – 1 Brighton & Hove Albion
2 Peterborough United 2 – 0 Hereford United
3 Oldham Athletic 3 – 0 Carlisle United
4 Cheltenham Town 3 – 1 Hull City
5 Yeovil Town 4 – 1 Wrexham
6 Macclesfield Town 3 – 0 Boston United
7 Grays Athletic 1 – 2 Aldershot Town
8 Scarborough 1 – 0 Doncaster Rovers
9 Barnet 2 – 2 Stalybridge Celtic
replay Stalybridge Celtic 0 – 2 Barnet
10 Blackpool 4 – 0 Boreham Wood
11 Wycombe Wanderers 4 – 1 Swindon Town
12 Lancaster City 1 – 2 Cambridge United
13 Woking 3 – 1 Histon
14 AFC Bournemouth 1 – 0 Bristol Rovers
15 Stevenage Borough 2 – 1 Stockport County
16 Grantham Town 1 – 2 Leyton Orient
17 Thurrock 1 – 1 Luton Town
replay Luton Town 3 – 1 Thurrock
18 Northampton Town 3 – 2 Plymouth Argyle
19 Tranmere Rovers 3 – 2 Chesterfield
20 Hornchurch 2 – 0 Darlington
21 Scunthorpe United 2 – 1 Shrewsbury Town
22 Torquay United 1 – 2 Burton Albion
23 Accrington Stanley 1 – 0 Huddersfield Town
24 Grimsby Town 1 – 0 QPR
25 Notts County 7 – 2 Shildon
26 Brentford 7 – 1 Gainsborough Trinity
27 Kidderminster Harriers 2 – 1 Northwich Victoria
28 Southend United 1 – 1 Canvey Island
replay Canvey Island 2 – 3 Southend United
29 York City 1 – 2 Barnsley
30 Port Vale 2 – 2 Ford United
replay Ford United 1 – 2 Port Vale
31 Mansfield Town 6 – 0 Bishop's Stortford
32 Sheffield Wednesday 4 – 0 Salisbury City
33 Farnborough Town 0 – 1 Weston-super-Mare
34 Chester City 0 – 1 Gravesend & Northfleet
35 Telford United 3 – 2 Crawley Town
36 Colchester United 1 – 0 Oxford United
37 Bradford Park Avenue 2 – 5 Bristol City
38 Bury 1 – 2 Rochdale
39 Swansea City 3 – 0 Rushden & Diamonds
40 Hartlepool United 4 – 0 Whitby Town

Second round proper

Ties were played over the weekend of 6 December 2003. Mansfield's Liam Lawrence showed how interested Championship and premiership clubs were with him by netting a hat trick.

Tie no Home team Score Away team
1 Northampton Town 4 – 1 Weston-super-Mare
2 Rochdale 0 – 2 Luton Town
3 Colchester United 1 – 0 Aldershot Town
4 Macclesfield Town 1 – 1 Cambridge United
replay Cambridge United 2 – 2 Macclesfield Town
Macclesfield Town won 4-2 on penalties
5 Peterborough United 3 – 2 Grimsby Town
6 Bristol City 0 – 0 Barnsley
replay Barnsley 2 – 1 Bristol City
7 Oldham Athletic 2 – 5 Blackpool
8 Burton Albion 0 – 1 Hartlepool United
9 Gravesend & Northfleet 1 – 2 Notts County
10 Telford United 3 – 0 Brentford
11 Woking 0 – 3 Kidderminster Harriers
12 Hornchurch 0 – 1 Tranmere Rovers
13 Yeovil Town 5 – 1 Barnet
14 A F C Bournemouth 1 – 1 Accrington Stanley
replay Accrington Stanley 0 – 0 A F C Bournemouth
Accrington Stanley won 5-3 on penalties
15 Cheltenham Town 3 – 1 Leyton Orient
16 Port Vale 0 – 1 Scarborough
17 Wycombe Wanderers 1 – 1 Mansfield Town
replay Mansfield Town 3 – 2 Wycombe Wanderers
18 Southend United 3 – 0 Lincoln City
19 Scunthorpe United 2 – 2 Sheffield Wednesday
replay Sheffield Wednesday 0 – 0 Scunthorpe United
Scunthorpe United won 3-1 on penalties
20 Swansea City 2 – 1 Stevenage Borough

Third round proper

This round marks the first time Championship and Premier League (top-flight) teams play. Matches were played on the weekend of Saturday, 3 January 2004, with replays on 13 January and 14 January.

Tie no Home team Score Away team
1 Preston North End 3 – 3 Reading
replay Reading 1 – 2 Preston North End
2 Southampton 0 – 3 Newcastle United
3 Watford 2 – 2 Chelsea
replay Chelsea 4 – 0 Watford
4 Yeovil Town 0 – 2 Liverpool
5 Gillingham 3 – 2 Charlton Athletic
6 Nottingham Forest 1 – 0 West Bromwich Albion
7 Aston Villa 1 – 2 Manchester United
8 Crewe Alexandra 0 – 1 Telford United
9 Middlesbrough 2 – 1 Notts County
10 Sunderland 1 – 0 Hartlepool United
11 Everton 3 – 1 Norwich City
12 Ipswich Town 3 – 0 Derby County
13 Tranmere Rovers 1 – 1 Bolton Wanderers
replay Bolton Wanderers 1 – 2 Tranmere Rovers
14 Tottenham Hotspur 3 – 0 Crystal Palace
15 Manchester City 2 – 2 Leicester City
replay Leicester City 1 – 3 Manchester City
16 Kidderminster Harriers 1–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
replay Wolverhampton Wanderers 2–0 Kidderminster Harriers
17 Fulham 2–1 Cheltenham Town
18 Barnsley 0–0 Scunthorpe United
replay Scunthorpe United 2–0 Barnsley
19 Northampton Town 1–1 Rotherham United
replay Rotherham United 1 – 2 Northampton Town
20 Coventry City 2–1 Peterborough United
21 Portsmouth 2–1 Blackpool
22 Bradford City 1–2 Luton Town
23 Millwall 2–1 Walsall
24 Wimbledon 1–1 Stoke City
replay Stoke City 0–1 Wimbledon
25 Southend United 1–1 Scarborough
replay Scarborough 1–0 Southend United
26 Mansfield Town 0–2 Burnley
27 Cardiff City 0–1 Sheffield United
28 Leeds United 1–4 Arsenal
29 Wigan Athletic 1–2 West Ham United
30 Birmingham City 4–0 Blackburn Rovers
31 Swansea City 2–1 Macclesfield Town
32 Accrington Stanley 0–0 Colchester United
replay Colchester United 2–1 Accrington Stanley

Fourth round proper

Ties played during the weekend of 24 January 2004, with replays on 3 February and 4 February.

Tie no Home team Score Away team
1 Burnley 3–1 Gillingham
2 Liverpool 2–1 Newcastle United
3 Nottingham Forest 0–3 Sheffield United
4 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1–3 West Ham United
5 Luton Town 0–1 Tranmere Rovers
6 Everton 1–1 Fulham
replay Fulham 2–1 Everton
7 Scarborough 0–1 Chelsea
8 Ipswich Town 1–2 Sunderland
9 Manchester City 1–1 Tottenham Hotspur
replay Tottenham Hotspur 3–4 Manchester City
10 Northampton Town 0–3 Manchester United
11 Coventry City 1–1 Colchester United
replay Colchester United 3–1 Coventry City
12 Portsmouth 2–1 Scunthorpe United
13 Arsenal 4–1 Middlesbrough
14 Birmingham City 1–0 Wimbledon
15 Telford United 0–2 Millwall
16 Swansea City 2–1 Preston North End

The match between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City was particularly notable. Tottenham led the match 3–0 at half-time but Manchester City turned the match around in the second half to win 4–3, with Jon Macken scoring the winning goal in the 90th minute. This was despite Manchester City having one less player on the pitch during the second half after Joey Barton was red carded during the half-time interval.[1]

Fifth round proper

  • Matches played weekend of 14 and 15 February 2004
  • Three replays played week commencing 22 and 25 February 2004.
  • Four non-Premiership sides (including a Division Two side) progressed to the quarter-finals.
Tie no Home team Score Away team Attendance
1 Liverpool 1–1 Portsmouth 34,669
replay Portsmouth 1–0 Liverpool 19,529
2 Sunderland 1–1 Birmingham City 24,966
replay Birmingham City 0–2 Sunderland 25,645
3 Sheffield United 1–0 Colchester United 17,074
4 Tranmere Rovers 2–1 Swansea City 12,215
5 Fulham 0–0 West Ham United 14,705
replay West Ham United 0–3 Fulham 27,934
6 Manchester United 4–2 Manchester City 67,228
7 Millwall 1–0 Burnley 10,420
8 Arsenal 2–1 Chelsea 38,136


  • Matches played on the weekend of Saturday, 6 March 2004.
  • There was one replay between Tranmere and Millwall, played on Tuesday 16 March.
  • Two Division One sides progressed to the semi-finals, while another was eliminated at this stage. In addition, a Division Two side reached the quarter-finals and were only eliminated after a replay.
Manchester United2 – 1Fulham
van Nistelrooy Goal 25'62' Report Malbranque Goal 23' (pen.)
Portsmouth1 – 5Arsenal
Sheringham Goal 90' Report Henry Goal 25'50'
Ljungberg Goal 43'57'
Touré Goal 45'
Millwall0 – 0Tranmere
Sunderland1 – 0Sheffield United
Tommy Smith Goal 15' Report


Tranmere1 – 2Millwall
Gary Jones Goal 41' Report Cahill Goal 11'
Harris Goal 15'


  • Matches played on the weekend of Saturday, 3 April 2004.
  • Two teams from Division 1 featured in the semi-finals (Millwall and Sunderland) who faced each other. The other tie was an all-Premiership affair between Manchester United and Arsenal, held at Villa Park.
  • Both games were played at neutral venues.
Arsenal0 – 1Manchester United
Report Scholes Goal 32'
Sunderland0 – 1Millwall
Report Cahill Goal 26'


Manchester United won the game and lifted the trophy for the 11th time in their history (a competition record) with a 3-0 victory over a Millwall side who were the first team from outside the top flight to reach the FA Cup final in 12 years.

Manchester United3 – 0Millwall
Ronaldo Goal 43'
van Nistelrooy Goal 65' (pen.)81'

Media coverage

In the United Kingdom, the BBC were the free to air broadcasters for the third consecutive season while Sky Sports were the subscription broadcasters for the sixteenth consecutive season.


  1. ^ "Tottenham 3-4 Man City". BBC Sport. 4 February 2009. Retrieved 12 June 2009.
2003–04 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The 2003–04 FA Cup Qualifying Rounds opened the 123rd season of competition in England for 'The Football Association Challenge Cup' (FA Cup), the world's oldest association football single knockout competition. A total of 661 clubs were accepted for the competition.

The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down (Levels 5 through 10) in the English football pyramid meant that the competition started with six rounds of preliminary (2) and qualifying (4) knockouts for these non-League teams. The 32 winning teams from Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper, where League teams tiered at Levels 3 and 4 entered the competition.

2003–04 FA Premier League

The 2003–04 FA Premier League (known as the FA Barclaycard Premiership for sponsorship reasons) was the 12th season of the Premier League. Arsenal were the champions and Chelsea, who had spent heavily throughout the season, were the runners up. Arsenal ended the season without a single defeat – the first team ever to do so in a 38-game league season and the second team overall (the first was Preston North End in 1889, 115 years earlier, during a 22-game league season).

2003–04 Liverpool F.C. season

The 2003–04 season was Liverpool's 112th season in existence and their 42nd consecutive year in the top-flight. This article covers the period from 1 July 2003 to 30 May 2004. Liverpool finished the FA Premier League season in fourth place.

2003–04 Shrewsbury Town F.C. season

The 2003–04 season was the 104th season of competitive association football and first season in the Football Conference played by Shrewsbury Town Football Club, a professional football club based in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. Their twenty-fourth-place finish in 2002–03 Football League Second Division meant they were relegated from The Football League – fifty-three years after they joined it – and were playing their first season in Football Conference. The season began on 1 July 2003 and concluded on 30 June 2004.

Jimmy Quinn, who was starting his first full season as player-manager, signed eight players before the summer transfer window closed. Shrewsbury occupied a play-off position for most of the season, and finished the Football Conference season in third place. Shrewsbury beat Barnet 5–3 in a penalty shoot-out in the semi-final having drawn 2–2 on aggregate. They won the 2004 Football Conference play-off Final, which took place at the Britannia Stadium, by beating Aldershot Town 3–0 on penalties after the match ended in a 1–1 draw; which meant the club was promoted back into The Football League in the newly renamed Football League Two. They lost in their opening round matches in both the 2003–04 FA Cup and Football League Cup, and were eliminated in the quarter-finals of the FA Trophy.Thirty players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were fifteen different goalscorers. Goalkeeper Scott Howie and defenders David Ridler and Darren Tinson missed only five of the fifty-one competitive matches played over the season. Luke Rodgers finished as leading scorer with fifteen goals, of which thirteen came in league competition and two came in the play-offs.

2004 FA Community Shield

The 2004 Football Association Community Shield (also known as The FA Community Shield in partnership with McDonald's for sponsorship reasons) was the 82nd staging of the FA Community Shield, an annual football match contested by the reigning champions of the Premier League and the holders of the FA Cup. It was contested on 8 August 2004 by Arsenal, champions of the 2003–04 Premier League, and Manchester United, who beat Millwall in the final of the 2003–04 FA Cup. Watched by a crowd of 63,317 at the Millennium Stadium, Arsenal won the match 3–1.

This was Manchester United's 23rd Community Shield appearance and Arsenal's 18th. Manchester United were without seven of their first-choice players for the game, which meant David Bellion and Eric Djemba-Djemba came into the starting 11. Cesc Fàbregas started alongside Gilberto Silva in midfield for Arsenal as captain Patrick Vieira was absent. After a goalless first half, Arsenal took the lead when Gilberto scored in the 50th minute. Striker Alan Smith equalised for Manchester United soon after, but José Antonio Reyes put Arsenal back in front after United's defenders failed to clear the ball. Mikaël Silvestre scored an own goal 11 minutes before the end that ensured Arsenal's victory.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was complimentary of his opponents afterwards and was pleased there were no new injuries to report. Opposing manager Arsène Wenger praised Fàbregas's performance and reiterated his desire to keep Vieira at Arsenal, after speculation regarding the player's impending transfer to Real Madrid.

2004 FA Cup Final

The 2004 FA Cup Final was the 123rd FA Cup Final and the fourth to be played at the Millennium Stadium, the Welsh national stadium in Cardiff, due to the ongoing reconstruction of the usual venue, London's Wembley Stadium. The match took place on 22 May 2004 and it was contested by Manchester United, who had finished third in the Premier League that season, and Millwall, who had finished 10th in the First Division.

Manchester United secured a record 11th FA Cup victory with a headed goal from Cristiano Ronaldo and a brace from Ruud van Nistelrooy, which included a penalty kick. In contrast, it was Millwall's first appearance in a final of either the FA Cup or the Football League Cup. At the trophy presentation after the match, the Manchester United players wore shirts bearing the name and number of midfielder Jimmy Davis, who died in a road accident in August 2003.

The match was refereed by Jeff Winter. Tony Green and Roger East were the assistant referees and Matt Messias was the fourth official.

José Antonio Reyes

José Antonio Reyes Calderón (Spanish pronunciation: [xoˈse anˈtonjo ˈreʝes kaldeˈɾon]; 1 September 1983 – 1 June 2019) was a Spanish professional footballer who played mainly as a left winger but also as a forward.Reyes made his professional debut for Sevilla aged 16, and signed for England's Arsenal in January 2004. He returned to Spain after two years, going on to represent the two largest clubs in Madrid, Real and Atlético Madrid, and winning La Liga with the former. He also had a short loan spell in Portugal with Benfica, re-joining Sevilla late in his career and winning the Europa League three times for a record total of five. He played nine matches for Extremadura UD before his death at the age of 35 in a car crash on 1 June 2019.

Reyes earned 21 caps for Spain, and represented the nation at the 2006 World Cup. He also appeared once for the Andalusia autonomous team in 2013.

Lauren (footballer)

Laureano Bisan Etamé-Mayer (born 19 January 1977), commonly known as Lauren, is a retired Cameroonian footballer of Equatoguinean origin, who formerly played as a right back for the Cameroonian national team. As an Arsenal player he won several trophies and is known as one of the 'Invincibles'; a title given to the Arsenal squad in 2004 after they went undefeated in the (2003–04) season and won the Premier League title. He also won an Olympic Gold Medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics with Cameroon. He also holds Spanish citizenship due to being raised in Spain.

Martin Keown

Martin Raymond Keown (; born 24 July 1966) is an English former professional footballer who played as a defender from 1984 to 2005, notably in the Premier League for Arsenal, where he made over 400 appearances for the club and won 10 honours.

He also played for Brighton & Hove Albion, Aston Villa, Everton, Leicester City and Reading. Keown made his England debut in 1992 against France and went on to win 43 caps for the national side over the next 10 years, gradually forming a respected defensive partnership with Arsenal teammate Tony Adams at both club and international level. Keown represented England at four major international football finals including the 1998 and 2002 World Cups.

He is now a part-time scout and coach for Arsenal, as well as a pundit for the BBC and BT Sport. He came out of retirement in 2012 and briefly played for Combined Counties League Premier Division side Wembley in their FA Cup fixtures.

Mary Phillip

Mary Rose Phillip (born 14 March 1977) is a former English international footballer. A versatile player, she played in all four positions at the back and also in midfield. Phillip captained England and—until 2011—was the only player to represent the country in two World Cup squads. She enjoyed a successful club career with Millwall Lionesses, Fulham, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Millwall F.C. in European football

Millwall F.C. is an English association football club based in South Bermondsey, London. They were founded in 1885 and first joined The Football League in 1920. Their first and only season playing in a major European cup competition was in 2004 when they qualified for the 2004–05 UEFA Cup. They had also played in the Anglo-Italian Cup

Pewsey Vale F.C.

Pewsey Vale F.C. are a football club based in the village of Pewsey, Wiltshire, England. They play in the Wessex League Division One.

Police Tero F.C.

Police Tero Football Club (Thai: สโมสรฟุตบอลโปลิศ เทโร), formerly known as BEC Tero Sasana is a Thai professional football club based in Bangkok. The club finished runners-up in the inaugural AFC Champions League competition in 2003. BEC Tero Sasana merged with Police United in the 2017 season and changed its official name to Police Tero Football Club in the 2018 season.

Ray Parlour

Raymond Parlour (born 7 March 1973) is an English former professional footballer who played as a midfielder from 1992 to 2007.

He spent his career playing for Arsenal, Middlesbrough, Hull City. During his Arsenal career he was nicknamed "The Romford Pelé"; although the nickname was given with an ironic sense of humour, on account of his solid performance but unglamorous image. He has been described as an "unsung hero" and praised as a "fans' favourite" for his high-energy performances. He is now a pundit on television, as well as on radio stations BBC Radio 5 Live and Talksport. In 2012 Parlour briefly came out of retirement to play for Wembley in the club's FA Cup fixtures.

Stocksbridge Park Steels F.C.

Stocksbridge Park Steels Football Club is an English association football club based in the Stocksbridge area of Sheffield, South Yorkshire. They play in Division One South of the Northern Premier League at level eight of the English football league system. The club was formed in 1986 after a merger between two other clubs, and sports a yellow and blue home kit. They play at the Bracken Moor ground.

They initially played in the Northern Counties East League and progressed through the NCEL's divisions before winning promotion to Division One of the Northern Premier League (NPL) in 1996. They reached the Premier Division of the NPL in 2009, but were relegated back to Division One South in 2014.

Steels have participated in the FA Cup every year since 1992, reaching the 4th qualifying round in 2003, and first entered the FA Trophy in 1996 after previously participating in the FA Vase.

Telford United F.C.

Telford United Football Club was an English football club based in Telford, Shropshire.

The club existed under various names for a total of 132 years from its formation in 1872. The club was founder members of the Alliance Premier League (later renamed the Football Conference) in 1979 and played at this level for 25 years. The club was and still is known for its several memorable exploits in the FA Cup during the early 1980s and in the 2003–04 FA Cup as well as the 1970–71, 1982–83 and 1988–89 FA Trophies.

After Telford United was wound up in 2004, supporters established a new club named AFC Telford United.

Three Bridges F.C.

Three Bridges Football Club is a football club based in Three Bridges in Crawley, West Sussex, England. The club is affiliated to the Sussex County Football Association. They were established in 1901 and were founding members of the Sussex County League Division Two in 1952. In the 1981–82 season, they reached the Third Round of the FA Vase. Currently they are members of the Isthmian League South East Division.

Tim Howard

Timothy Matthew Howard (born March 6, 1979) is an American soccer player who plays for and captains the MLS club Colorado Rapids as a goalkeeper.

Howard began his career with the North Jersey Imperials, before making a move to the MetroStars. His appearances soon attracted the attention of English Premier League club Manchester United, who signed him in 2003. He enjoyed relative success with the club, as they won the 2003 FA Community Shield, the 2003–04 FA Cup and the 2005–06 League Cup. After United signed goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar, however, Howard went out on loan to Everton to play more first-team soccer, and eventually signed permanently with them in February 2007. On January 4, 2012, Howard scored a goal (his first as a professional) against Bolton Wanderers, making him only the fourth goalkeeper to score a goal in a Premier League match. In 2016 Howard made his return to MLS, this time playing for the Colorado Rapids as their starter keeper.

Howard is the most capped goalkeeper of all-time for the United States men's national team, with 121 caps since 2002 until his international retirement in 2017. He was an unused substitute for the 2006 World Cup but later established himself as first-choice keeper of the United States' international tournament games beginning with the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup, in which the U.S. ended as runner-up against Brazil. Howard participated at both the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, starting in all their matches. The team reached the Round of 16 on both occasions, and during the latter Howard set a World Cup record for most saves in a match, with 15 against Belgium.Howard's book, The Keeper, published in 2014, describes his career and his life with Tourette syndrome and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Tottenham Hotspur F.C. 3–4 Manchester City F.C. (2004)

In the Fourth Round of the 2003–04 FA Cup, the tie between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City went to a replay – played at White Hart Lane, London, on the evening of 4 February 2004 – after the original match 11 days earlier finished in a 1–1 draw.

Spurs took a convincing 3–0 lead into the half-time interval after goals from Ledley King, Robbie Keane and a Christian Ziege free kick. Having already seen their star striker, Nicolas Anelka, limp off with an injury in the 27th minute of the game, the situation was made even worse for City just before the half-time interval when key central midfielder Joey Barton was dismissed by the referee for dissent as both teams and the match officials were leaving the pitch at the end of the first half. However, after the break, goals from Sylvain Distin, Paul Bosvelt, Shaun Wright-Phillips plus an injury-time strike from Jon Macken sealed a victory described by one journalistic source as "as great a comeback as English football has ever known".In footballing circles, it is frequently referred to as one of greatest comebacks of FA Cup history.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Premier League and
Football League
Football Conference
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
200304 in European football (UEFA)
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
League cups
UEFA competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.