2001–02 FA Cup

The 2001–02 FA Cup (known as The FA Cup sponsored by AXA for sponsorship reasons) was the 121st season of the world's oldest knockout football competition, the FA Cup. The competition was won by Arsenal with a 2–0 win against Chelsea, courtesy of goals from Ray Parlour and Freddie Ljungberg in the final 20 minutes of the game, completing a domestic Double for Arsenal.

2001–02 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsLiverpool
ChampionsArsenal (8th title)
Top goal scorer(s)Jermain Defoe
(4 goals)

First round proper

Matches were played 16, 17 and 18 November, with replays on 27 November and 28 November.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Attendance
1 Blackpool 2–2 Newport County 5,005
replay Newport County 1 – 4 Blackpool 3,721
2 Bournemouth 3–0 Worksop Town 4,414
3 Barnet 0–0 Carlisle United 2,277
replay Carlisle United 1 – 0 Barnet 1,470
4 Bristol City 0–1 Leyton Orient 6,343
5 Reading 1–0 Welling United 5,338
6 Northwich Victoria 2–5 Hull City 2,285
7 Macclesfield Town 2–2 Forest Green Rovers 1,520
replay Forest Green Rovers 1–1 Macclesfield Town 1,714
Macclesfield Town won on penalties
8 Lincoln City 1–1 Bury 2,925
replay Bury 1 – 1 Lincoln City 2,194
Lincoln City won on penalties
9 Swindon Town 3–1 Hartlepool United 4,766
10 Doncaster Rovers 2–3 Scunthorpe United 6,222
11 Tranmere Rovers 4–1 Brigg Town
12 Kidderminster Harriers 0–1 Darlington 2,471
13 Brentford 1–0 Morecambe 4,026
14 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–0 Shrewsbury Town 5,450
15 Oldham Athletic 1–1 Barrow 5,795
replay Barrow 0 – 2 Oldham Athletic 4,368
16 Worcester City 0–1 Rushden & Diamonds
17 Altrincham 1–1 Lancaster City 2,076
replay Lancaster City 1 – 4 Altrincham
18 Southend United 3–2 Luton Town
19 Exeter City 3–0 Cambridge City
20 Huddersfield Town 2–1 Gravesend & Northfleet 6,112
21 Mansfield Town 1–0 Oxford United
22 Cardiff City 3–1 Tiverton Town 6,638
23 Grays Athletic 1–2 Hinckley United
24 Port Vale 3–0 Aylesbury United
25 Halifax Town 2–1 Farnborough Town
26 Stalybridge Celtic 0–3 Chesterfield
27 Torquay United 1–2 Northampton Town
28 Hereford United 1–0 Wrexham
29 Kettering Town 1–6 Cheltenham Town
30 Stoke City 2–0 Lewes 7,081
31 Hayes 3–4 Wycombe Wanderers
32 Wigan Athletic 0–1 Canvey Island
33 Tamworth 1–1 Rochdale
replay Rochdale 1 – 0 Tamworth
34 Colchester United 0–0 York City
replay York City 2 – 2 Colchester United
York City won on penalties
35 Whitby Town 1–1 Plymouth Argyle
replay Plymouth Argyle 3 – 2 Whitby Town
36 Cambridge United 1–1 Notts County
replay Notts County 2 – 0 Cambridge United
37 Swansea City 4–0 Queen's Park Rangers
38 Dagenham & Redbridge 1–0 Southport
39 Aldershot Town 0–0 Bristol Rovers
replay Bristol Rovers 1 – 0 Aldershot Town
40 Bedford Town 0–0 Peterborough United
replay Peterborough United 2 – 1 Bedford Town

Second round proper

Matches were played on 8 December and 9 December, with replays on 18 December and 19 December.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Attendance
1 Blackpool 2–0 Rochdale 5,191
2 Chesterfield 1–1 Southend United 4,522
replay Southend United 2 – 0 Chesterfield 5,518
3 Canvey Island 1–0 Northampton Town 3,000
4 Macclesfield Town 4–1 Swansea City 2,025
5 Swindon Town 3–2 Hereford United 7,699
6 Tranmere Rovers 6–1 Carlisle United 7,428
7 Wycombe Wanderers 3–0 Notts County 4,725
8 Brighton & Hove Albion 2–1 Rushden & Diamonds 5,647
9 Plymouth Argyle 1–1 Bristol Rovers 6,141
replay Bristol Rovers 3 – 2 Plymouth Argyle 5,763
10 Hull City 2–3 Oldham Athletic 9,422
11 Altrincham 1–2 Darlington 3,302
12 Exeter City 0–0 Dagenham & Redbridge 4,082
replay Dagenham & Redbridge 3 – 0 Exeter City 2,660
13 Scunthorpe United 3–2 Brentford 3,457
14 Mansfield Town 4–0 Huddersfield Town 6,836
15 Cardiff City 3–0 Port Vale 9,650
16 Halifax Town 1–1 Stoke City 3,335
replay Stoke City 3 – 0 Halifax Town 4,356
17 York City 2–0 Reading 3,161
18 Peterborough United 1–0 Bournemouth 4,773
19 Leyton Orient 2–1 Lincoln City 4,195
20 Hinckley United 0–2 Cheltenham Town 2,661

Third round proper

Matches played 5 January and 6 January, replays on 15 January and 16 January.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Attendance
1 Darlington 2–2 Peterborough United 10,892
replay Peterborough United 2 – 0 Darlington
2 Burnley 4–1 Canvey Island 11,496
3 Liverpool 3–0 Birmingham City 40,875
4 Watford 2–4 Arsenal 20,105
5 Walsall 2–0 Bradford City
6 Leicester City 2–1 Mansfield Town
7 Aston Villa 2–3 Manchester United 38,444
8 Grimsby Town 0–0 York City
replay York City 1 – 0 Grimsby Town
9 Macclesfield Town 0–3 West Ham United
10 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0–1 Gillingham 15,271
11 Crewe Alexandra 2–1 Sheffield Wednesday
12 Sunderland 1–2 West Bromwich Albion 29,133
13 Derby County 1–3 Bristol Rovers
14 Sheffield United 1–0 Nottingham Forest 14,696
15 Stockport County 1–4 Bolton Wanderers 5,821
16 Newcastle United 2–0 Crystal Palace
17 Wycombe Wanderers 2–2 Fulham
replay Fulham 1 – 0 Wycombe Wanderers
18 Manchester City 2–0 Swindon Town
19 Barnsley 1–1 Blackburn Rovers
replay Blackburn Rovers 3 – 1 Barnsley
20 Coventry City 0–2 Tottenham Hotspur
21 Portsmouth 1–4 Leyton Orient
22 Brighton & Hove Albion 0–2 Preston North End 6,548
23 Norwich City 0–0 Chelsea 21,017
replay Chelsea 4 – 0 Norwich City 24,231
24 Millwall 2–1 Scunthorpe United
25 Wimbledon 0–0 Middlesbrough
replay Middlesbrough 2–0 Wimbledon
26 Southend United 1–3 Tranmere Rovers
27 Cardiff City 2–1 Leeds United 22,009
28 Charlton Athletic 2–1 Blackpool
29 Cheltenham Town 2–1 Oldham Athletic 5,801
30 Stoke City 0–1 Everton 28,218
31 Rotherham United 2–1 Southampton
32 Dagenham & Redbridge 1–4 Ipswich Town

Fourth round proper

Matches played on the weekend of 26 January, replay on 6 February. The match between Arsenal and Liverpool was a rematch of the previous year's final.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Attendance
1 Preston North End 2–1 Sheffield United 13,068
2 Gillingham 1–0 Bristol Rovers
3 Middlesbrough 2–0 Manchester United
4 West Bromwich Albion 1–0 Leicester City 26,860
5 Everton 4–1 Leyton Orient
6 Ipswich Town 1–4 Manchester City
7 Tranmere Rovers 3–1 Cardiff City
8 Tottenham Hotspur 4–0 Bolton Wanderers
9 Millwall 0–1 Blackburn Rovers
10 Chelsea 1–1 West Ham United 33,443
replay West Ham United 2–3 Chelsea 27,272
11 Charlton Athletic 1–2 Walsall
12 Arsenal 1–0 Liverpool 38,092
13 Cheltenham Town 2–1 Burnley 7,300
14 York City 0–2 Fulham
15 Rotherham United 2–4 Crewe Alexandra
16 Peterborough United 2–4 Newcastle United

Fifth round proper

Matches played on the weekend of 16 February and 17 February, with the replay on 26 February.

West Bromwich Albion were the only non-Premiership side to progress to the last eight, at the expense of Cheltenham Town – the last remaining Division Three side in the competition.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Attendance
1 Walsall 1–2 Fulham
2 Middlesbrough 1–0 Blackburn Rovers
3 West Bromwich Albion 1–0 Cheltenham Town 27,179
4 Everton 0–0 Crewe Alexandra
replay Crewe Alexandra 1–2 Everton
5 Newcastle United 1–0 Manchester City
6 Tottenham Hotspur 4–0 Tranmere Rovers
7 Chelsea 3–1 Preston North End 28,133
8 Arsenal 5–2 Gillingham

Sixth round proper

Matches were played on the weekend of 9 March, with the replay on 23 March.

West Bromwich Albion were the last non-Premiership side remaining in the competition, and their hopes of further progression were ended when they lost the quarter-final tie at home to Fulham.

Whelan Goal 35'
Németh Goal 37'
Ince Goal 42'
West Bromwich Albion0–1Fulham
Report Marlet Goal 47'
Newcastle United1–1Arsenal
Robert Goal 52' Report Edu Goal 14'
Tottenham Hotspur0–4Chelsea
Report Gallas Goal 12'
Guðjohnsen Goal 48'66'
Le Saux Goal 54'


Arsenal3–0Newcastle United
Pires Goal 2'
Bergkamp Goal 9'
Campbell Goal 50'


Matches played at a neutral venue on April 14, 2002.

Gianluca Festa, who had been on the losing side for Middlesbrough in both the FA Cup and League Cup finals five years earlier, endured further misfortune when he scored an own goal that ended his side's hopes of FA Cup glory and handed the initiative to Arsenal.

Fulham, who were playing their first top division season for more than 30 years, had been hoping to compensate for a disappointing Premier League campaign with glory in the FA Cup. These hopes were ended by their neighbours Chelsea, who won the semi-final tie 1–0.

Report Terry Goal 42'
Report Festa Goal 39' (o.g.)


Arsenal's 2–0 victory set them up for a third double (which was completed when they sealed the league title four days later) and saw them equal Tottenham's eight FA Cup triumphs – putting them second only to Manchester United (10 trophies) as the most frequent winners of the FA Cup.

Parlour Goal 70'
Ljungberg Goal 80'

Media coverage

In the United Kingdom, the BBC were the free to air broadcasters taking over from ITV who had it after four years while Sky Sports were the subscription broadcasters for the fourteenth consecutive season.

2001 FA Charity Shield

The 2001 FA Charity Shield (also known as The One 2 One FA Charity Shield for sponsorship reasons) was the 79th FA Charity Shield, an annual football match played between the winners of the previous season's Premier League and FA Cup. The match was contested between Liverpool, winners of the 2000–01 FA Cup and Manchester United, who won the 2000–01 Premier League on 12 August 2001. It was the first Shield match to be held at the Millennium Stadium following the closure of Wembley Stadium for reconstruction.

This was Liverpool's 19th appearance and Manchester United's 21st and the 5th time they had met in the competition. The anticipated meeting of Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard and new Manchester United signing Juan Sebastián Verón did not occur. Another omission from the Liverpool team was striker Robbie Fowler, who was left out of the matchday squad. New signings for both teams made an appearance, with defender John Arne Riise making his first appearance in English football for Liverpool, while striker Ruud van Nistelrooy made his debut for Manchester United.

Watched by a crowd of 70,027 spectators, Liverpool took the lead in the second minute when Gary McAllister scored from a free kick after a foul on Danny Murphy by Roy Keane. Liverpool extended their lead in the 16th minute when striker Michael Owen scored. Manchester United scored in the second half through Van Nistelrooy but were unable to find the equalising goal in the remaining minutes. Thus, Liverpool won the match 2–1 to win the Shield for the 14th time. Despite the victory, Liverpool manager Gérard Houllier was realistic about his team's prospects in the upcoming 2001–02 FA Premier League. Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was critical of referee Andy D'Urso's performance after he turned down two penalty appeals from his side during the match. Liverpool's victory marked their 14th success, while the match was United's fourth consecutive loss in the competition.

2001–02 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 2001–02 season was Birmingham City Football Club's 99th in the Football League. They finished in 5th position in the 24-team Football League First Division, thus qualifying for the play-offs, and were successful in the final, beating Norwich City in a penalty shootout to gain promotion to the Premier League. Birmingham entered the 2001–02 FA Cup at the third round and lost to Liverpool in that round, and after entering the League Cup in the first round, lost to Manchester City in the third.

Trevor Francis was dismissed as manager in October with Birmingham mid-table in the First Division. Mick Mills and Jim Barron acted as caretakers until December, when former Crystal Palace manager Steve Bruce was appointed. French manufacturers Le Coq Sportif supplied Birmingham's kit for the fourth consecutive season, and mobile phone retailer Phones4U were the new shirt sponsors. Tommy Mooney was top scorer with 15 goals, of which 13 were scored in the league.

2001–02 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The 2001–02 FA Cup Qualifying Rounds opened the 121st season of competition in England for 'The Football Association Challenge Cup' (FA Cup), the world's oldest association football single knockout competition.

The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down (Levels 5 through 10) in the English football pyramid meant that the competition started with six rounds of preliminary (2) and qualifying (4) knockouts for these non-League teams. The 32 winning teams from Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper, where League teams tiered at Levels 3 and 4 entered the competition.

2002 FA Cup Final

The 2002 FA Cup Final was a football match between Arsenal and Chelsea on 4 May 2002 at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. It was the final match of the 2001–02 FA Cup, the 120th season of the world's oldest football knockout competition, the FA Cup. Arsenal were appearing in their fifteenth final to Chelsea's seventh.

As both teams were in the highest tier of English football, the Premier League, they entered the competition in the third round. Matches up to the semi-final were contested on a one-off basis, with a replay taking place if the match ended in a draw. Arsenal's progress was relatively comfortable; they knocked out the holders Liverpool in the fourth round, but needed a replay to beat Newcastle United. After overcoming replays in the first two rounds and a difficult tie against Preston North End, Chelsea recorded an impressive win against Tottenham Hotspur. Both teams won their semi-final match by a single goal.

Graeme Le Saux and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink were passed fit for Chelsea, but John Terry was omitted from the starting lineup, having woken up ill on the morning of the final. For Arsenal, goalkeeper David Seaman came in place of Richard Wright, who deputised for him in the earlier rounds of the competition. Chelsea were led onto the field by Roberto Di Matteo, who had been forced to retire from football earlier in the season due to a serious injury. After an uneventful first half, Chelsea settled much the quicker of the two and created several chances to score. Arsenal withstood the pressure and took the lead in the 70th minute, when Ray Parlour scored from 25 yards. They made sure of victory after Freddie Ljungberg scored from a similar distance.

The final took place with one week remaining in the Premier League calendar. Arsenal beat Manchester United a few days later to regain the league title and complete their second league and cup double under manager Arsène Wenger.

Al Ahed FC

Al Ahed Football Club (Arabic: نادي العهد الرياضي‎, lit. 'The Covenant Sporting Club') is a Lebanese football club based in the Ouzai district of Beirut. Founded in 1964 as "Al Huda Islamic Club", the club gradually moved up the divisions before reaching the Lebanese Football League for the first time in 1996.

Ahed have won seven league titles, six FA Cup titles and six Super Cup titles, as well as five Elite Cups and one Federation Cup. Their first league title came in 2008, when they went on a 44-game unbeaten streak in a run that lasted more than 2 years. In 2011 Ahed became the first team in Lebanon to accomplish both a domestic treble and quadruple, after winning the league, cup, Super Cup and Elite Cup in the same season.

The club primarily receives its support from the Shia community in Beirut. They are also affiliated with Hezbollah. In recent years a fierce rivalry has developed between Ahed and Nejmeh, which is also based in Beirut.

David Seaman

David Andrew Seaman, MBE (born 19 September 1963) is an English former footballer who played as a goalkeeper. In a career lasting from 1981 to 2004, he is best known for his time playing for Arsenal. He won 75 caps for the England national football team, and is the country's second-most capped goalkeeper, after Peter Shilton. In 1997 was awarded the MBE for services to football.

The peak of Seaman's career was during his period as Arsenal and England goalkeeper in the 1990s and early 2000s. During his time at Arsenal he won three league championships (1991, 1998, 2002), four FA Cups (1993, 1998, 2002, 2003), the League Cup in 1993 and the European Cup Winners Cup in 1994. During this time he also played for England in the 1998 and 2002 FIFA World Cups, and Euro 96 and Euro 2000. As well as Arsenal, he also played in the Premier League for Manchester City, as well as making appearances in the Football League for Peterborough United, Birmingham City and Queens Park Rangers.

His save from Paul Peschisolido of Sheffield United in the 2002–03 FA Cup was described as one of the best ever. Notable lows came with two costly errors, both from long-range efforts—conceding a last-minute goal in the 1995 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final to Nayim and conceding to a Ronaldinho free-kick in the 2002 FIFA World Cup quarter-final. Seaman is left-handed, but threw the ball with his right arm and kicked with his right foot. He retired in 2004 due to a recurring shoulder injury. In June 2012, he was appointed goalkeeping coach of Combined Counties League club Wembley.

Gavin Williams (footballer)

Gavin John Williams (born 20 July 1980 in Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan) is a Welsh international footballer who is player-manager for Merthyr Town. Williams' younger brother Lewis is a winger with Pontypridd RFC.

Gilles Grimandi

Gilles Grimandi (born 11 November 1970 in Gap, Hautes-Alpes) is a French retired footballer who currently is the technical director of OGC Nice.

In his playing career, he went from hometown team Gap to top-flight Monaco before arriving at Arsenal of the Premier League in 1997. He won two league-and-cup doubles with them before leaving in 2002.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst

Giovanni Christiaan van Bronckhorst OON (Dutch pronunciation: [ɟijoːˈvɑni vɑm ˈbrɔŋkɦɔrst] (listen); born 5 February 1975), also known by his nickname Gio, is a retired Dutch footballer and the former manager of Feyenoord. Formerly a midfielder, he moved to left-back later in his career.During his club career, Van Bronckhorst played for RKC Waalwijk, Feyenoord, Rangers, Arsenal, Barcelona and again with Feyenoord. He was an instrumental player in Barcelona's 2005–06 UEFA Champions League victory, being in the starting line-up of the final, having played every Champions League match for Barcelona that season.Van Bronckhorst earned 107 caps for the Netherlands national team, and played for his country in three FIFA World Cups, in 1998, 2006 and 2010, as well as three UEFA European Championships, in 2000, 2004 and 2008. After captaining the Oranje in the 2010 World Cup final, he was elected into the Order of Orange-Nassau.After assisting the Dutch under-21 team and Feyenoord, Van Bronckhorst became Feyenoord manager in May 2015. He won the KNVB Cup in his first season and the club's first Eredivisie title for 18 years in 2017.

Hereford United F.C.

Hereford United Football Club was an English association football club based in the city of Hereford that last played in the Southern League Premier Division, the seventh tier of English football. Founded in 1924, the club was elected to the Football League in 1972, and spent 31 seasons in the League in two spells, 25 of them in the fourth tier. The club reached the old Second Division in 1976, its best league performance, but was relegated after only one season at that level.

Hereford achieved national prominence in 1972 when, as a Southern League club, they knocked top-flight Newcastle United out of the FA Cup.Hereford played at Edgar Street for their entire history. They were nicknamed 'The Whites' or 'The Lilywhites', after their predominantly white kit, or 'The Bulls' after the Hereford cattle breed. The club's motto was "Our greatest glory lies not in never having fallen, but in rising when we fall". The club was affiliated to the Herefordshire County FA. On 19 December 2014, the club was wound up in the High Court after a petition had been brought against it by HM Revenue and Customs.

Following the demise of United, a new 'phoenix club' was being set up, Hereford. The new club incorporates the words 'Forever United' into its crest design, as well as the iconic Hereford Bull.

Ian Wright (footballer, born 1972)

Ian Matthew Wright (born 10 March 1972) is an English former footballer who played as a central defender. He started his career at Stoke City and later played for Bristol Rovers and Hull City before dropping down into non-league football with Hereford United.

Igors Stepanovs

Igors Nauris Stepanovs (born 21 January 1976 in Ogre) is a former Latvian football defender, currently the manager of Latvia national under-17 football team. Stepanovs has played 100 international matches and scored 4 goals for the Latvia national team. He made his debut in 1995, and played at Euro 2004.

Newport Stadium

Newport Stadium, also known as Spytty Park, is an association football and athletics stadium in Newport, South Wales. It is the home of Newport City football club and Newport Harriers Athletic Club. It was previously also used for home matches by Newport County and Albion Rovers football clubs. Newport County continue to use the stadium as a base for youth teams and senior squad training.

Oleh Luzhny

Oleh Romanovych Luzhny (Ukrainian: Олег Романович Лужний, born 5 August 1968) is an Ukrainian retired footballer who played as a right-back. His name is alternatively Romanised as Oleg Luzhny.

Richard Wright (footballer)

Richard Ian Wright (born 5 November 1977) is an English retired professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper. He currently works as a coach for Manchester City.

Born in Ipswich, he joined Ipswich Town as a trainee, going on to play for the club 298 times between 1995 and 2001. He then moved to Premier League club Arsenal, before being signed by Everton in 2002, where he spent five years. A brief spell on loan from West Ham United with Southampton was followed by a transfer back to Ipswich Town. After a short spell at Sheffield United, a third stint at Ipswich and a brief time at Preston North End, he joined Premier League champions Manchester City on a free transfer in 2012. After four years at City, during which he did not play at all, he announced his retirement in May 2016. He remained with City as a coach under new manager Pep Guardiola.He was a member of the England squad, earning two caps, and was included in their squad for UEFA Euro 2000.

Samuele Dalla Bona

Samuele "Sam" Dalla Bona, (born 6 February 1981), is an Italian former footballer who played as a midfielder.

Shildon A.F.C.

Shildon Association Football Club is a football club established in 1890 based in Shildon, County Durham, England. They compete in the Northern League Division One and play at Dean Street.

Tony Adams

Tony Alexander Adams (born 10 October 1966) is an English football manager. As a player, Adams played for Arsenal and England, captaining both teams.

Adams spent his entire playing career of 22 years as a centre back at Arsenal. He is considered one of the greatest Arsenal players of all time by the club's own fans and was included in the Football League 100 Legends. With Arsenal, he won four top flight division titles, uniquely captaining a title-winning team in three different decades, three FA Cups, two Football League Cups, a UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, and two FA Community Shields. A statue honouring Adams was unveiled at Emirates stadium on 9 December 2011, along with statues of Thierry Henry and Herbert Chapman. He won 66 caps for England between 1987 and 2000 and played at four major tournaments.

When his playing career finished Adams went into football management, spending periods in charge of Wycombe Wanderers, Portsmouth, Azerbaijani side Gabala and Spanish side Granada.

Adams will be appointed as the 29th President of the Rugby Football League over the summer of 2019. He will succeed Andy Burnham.

Wayne Buchanan

Wayne Buchanan (born 12 January 1982) is a Northern Irish footballer. He is the cousin of Northampton Town left-back David Buchanan.

Wayne Buchanan is the godfather of Rian Daniel Stevenson born 22nd Dec 2004 (Age 14)

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Premier League and
Football League
Football Conference
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
200102 in European football (UEFA)
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
League cups
UEFA competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.