1987–88 FA Cup

The 1987–88 FA Cup was the 108th season of the world's oldest knockout football competition, The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The competition was won by Wimbledon F.C.'s Crazy Gang who defeated league champions Liverpool through a headed goal by Lawrie Sanchez, thus denying Liverpool the double. They would be one of three clubs other than Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool to win the trophy in the following 20 years (the others being Everton and Tottenham Hotspur) before Portsmouth's victory in the 2008 final. This was Wimbledon's only FA Cup title during its lifetime.

The tournament started in August 1987 with non-league teams competing in a qualifying competition. Teams from the First and Second Divisions entered at the third round.

1987–88 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsCoventry City
ChampionsWimbledon (1st title)

First round proper

The first round of games were played over the weekend 14–15 November 1987, with the exception of the Welling United – Carshalton Athletic game. Replays were played in the midweek fixtures on 16th-17th. All other replays were played on 28 November.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester City 0–1 Runcorn 14 November 1987
2 Barnet 0–1 Hereford United 14 November 1987
3 Bristol City 1–0 Aylesbury United 14 November 1987
4 Burnley 0–1 Bolton Wanderers 14 November 1987
5 Preston North End 1–1 Mansfield Town 14 November 1987
Replay Mansfield Town 4–2 Preston North End 17 November 1987
6 Rochdale 0–2 Wrexham 14 November 1987
7 Sutton United 3–0 Aldershot 14 November 1987
8 Gillingham 2–1 Fulham 14 November 1987
9 Notts County 3–3 Chesterfield 15 November 1987
Replay Chesterfield 0–1 Notts County 17 November 1987
10 Northwich Victoria 1–0 Colwyn Bay 14 November 1987
11 Macclesfield Town 4–2 Carlisle United 14 November 1987
12 Wolverhampton Wanderers 5–1 Cheltenham Town 14 November 1987
13 Sunderland 2–0 Darlington 14 November 1987
14 Lincoln City 2–1 Crewe Alexandra 14 November 1987
15 Scarborough 1–2 Grimsby Town 14 November 1987
16 Doncaster Rovers 1–1 Rotherham United 14 November 1987
Replay Rotherham United 2–0 Doncaster Rovers 17 November 1987
17 Bishop Auckland 1–4 Blackpool 14 November 1987
18 Tranmere Rovers 2–2 Port Vale 14 November 1987
Replay Port Vale 3–1 Tranmere Rovers 16 November 1987
19 Chorley 0–2 Hartlepool United 14 November 1987
20 Brentford 0–2 Brighton & Hove Albion 14 November 1987
21 Bristol Rovers 6–0 Merthyr Tydfil 14 November 1987
22 Northampton Town 2–1 Newport County 14 November 1987
23 Worcester City 1–1 Yeovil Town 14 November 1987
Replay Yeovil Town 1–0 Worcester City 17 November 1987
24 Altrincham 0–2 Wigan Athletic 14 November 1987
25 Southend United 0–0 Walsall 14 November 1987
Replay Walsall 2–1 Southend United 17 November 1987
26 Bognor Regis Town 0–3 Torquay United 14 November 1987
27 Scunthorpe United 3–1 Bury 14 November 1987
28 Halesowen Town 2–2 Kidderminster Harriers 14 November 1987
Replay Kidderminster Harriers 4–0 Halesowen Town 16 November 1987
29 York City 0–0 Burton Albion 14 November 1987
Replay Burton Albion 1–2 York City 17 November 1987
30 Hayes 0–1 Swansea City 14 November 1987
31 Billingham Synthonia 2–4 Halifax Town 14 November 1987
32 Peterborough United 2–1 Cardiff City 14 November 1987
33 Colchester United 3–0 Tamworth 14 November 1987
34 Chelmsford City 1–2 Bath City 14 November 1987
35 Leyton Orient 2–0 Exeter City 14 November 1987
36 Dagenham 0–2 Maidstone United 14 November 1987
37 Cambridge United 2–1 Farnborough Town 14 November 1987
38 Telford United 1–1 Stockport County 14 November 1987
Replay Stockport County 2–0 Telford United 17 November 1987
39 VS Rugby 0–0 Atherstone United 14 November 1987
Replay Atherstone United 0–2 VS Rugby 17 November 1987
40 Welling United 3–2 Carshalton Athletic 23 November 1987

Second Round Proper

The second round of games were played over 5–6 December 1987, with replays being played at various dates afterwards (no replay was played on the same night as another).

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 0–1 Torquay United 5 December 1987
2 Gillingham 2–1 Walsall 5 December 1987
3 Grimsby Town 0–0 Halifax Town 5 December 1987
Replay Halifax Town 2–0 Grimsby Town 8 December 1987
4 Northwich Victoria 0–2 Blackpool 6 December 1987
5 Macclesfield Town 4–0 Rotherham United 6 December 1987
6 Wrexham 1–2 Bolton Wanderers 5 December 1987
7 Maidstone United 1–1 Kidderminster Harriers 5 December 1987
Replay Kidderminster Harriers 2–2 Maidstone United 7 December 1987
Replay Kidderminster Harriers 0–0 Maidstone United 14 December 1987
Replay Maidstone United 2–1 Kidderminster Harriers 16 December 1987
8 Northampton Town 1–2 Brighton & Hove Albion 5 December 1987
9 Scunthorpe United 2–1 Sunderland 5 December 1987
10 Mansfield Town 4–3 Lincoln City 5 December 1987
11 Port Vale 2–0 Notts County 5 December 1987
12 Runcorn 0–1 Stockport County 5 December 1987
13 York City 1–1 Hartlepool United 5 December 1987
Replay Hartlepool United 3–1 York City 9 December 1987
14 Wigan Athletic 1–3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 5 December 1987
15 Peterborough United 1–3 Sutton United 5 December 1987
16 Colchester United 3–2 Hereford United 5 December 1987
17 Leyton Orient 2–0 Swansea City 5 December 1987
18 Cambridge United 0–1 Yeovil Town 5 December 1987
19 VS Rugby 1–1 Bristol Rovers 5 December 1987
Replay Bristol Rovers 4–0 VS Rugby 17 December 1987
20 Welling United 0–1 Bath City 5 December 1987

Third round proper

The third round of games in the FA Cup were played over the weekend 9–11 January 1988, with the first set of replays being played on 12–13 January. Three games went to second replays and one of these to a third replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Sutton United 1–1 Middlesbrough 9 January 1988
Replay Middlesbrough 1–0 Sutton United 12 January 1988
2 Watford 1–1 Hull City 9 January 1988
Replay Hull City 2–2 Watford 12 January 1988
Replay Watford 1–0 Hull City 18 January 1988
3 Yeovil Town 0–3 Queens Park Rangers 9 January 1988
4 Reading 0–1 Southampton 9 January 1988
5 Gillingham 0–3 Birmingham City 9 January 1988
6 Blackburn Rovers 1–2 Portsmouth 9 January 1988
7 Sheffield Wednesday 1–1 Everton 9 January 1988
Replay Everton 1–1 Sheffield Wednesday 13 January 1988
Replay Everton 1–1 Sheffield Wednesday 25 January 1988
Replay Sheffield Wednesday 0–5 Everton 27 January 1988
8 Derby County 1–3 Chelsea 9 January 1988
9 Swindon Town 0–0 Norwich City 9 January 1988
Replay Norwich City 0–2 Swindon Town 13 January 1988
10 Shrewsbury Town 2–1 Bristol Rovers 9 January 1988
11 Sheffield United 1–0 Maidstone United 9 January 1988
12 Ipswich Town 1–2 Manchester United 10 January 1988
13 Stockport County 1–2 Leyton Orient 9 January 1988
14 Newcastle United 1–0 Crystal Palace 9 January 1988
15 Barnsley 3–1 Bolton Wanderers 9 January 1988
16 Coventry City 2–0 Torquay United 9 January 1988
17 West Ham United 2–0 Charlton Athletic 9 January 1988
18 Brighton & Hove Albion 2–0 Bournemouth 9 January 1988
19 Plymouth Argyle 2–0 Colchester United 11 January 1988
20 Bradford City 2–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 9 January 1988
21 Oldham Athletic 2–4 Tottenham Hotspur 9 January 1988
22 Wimbledon 4–1 West Bromwich Albion 9 January 1988
23 Scunthorpe United 0–0 Blackpool 9 January 1988
Replay Blackpool 1–0 Scunthorpe United 12 January 1988
24 Huddersfield Town 2–2 Manchester City 9 January 1988
Replay Manchester City 0–0 Huddersfield Town 12 January 1988
Replay Huddersfield Town 0–3 Manchester City 25 January 1988
25 Mansfield Town 4–0 Bath City 9 January 1988
26 Port Vale 1–0 Macclesfield Town 10 January 1988
27 Halifax Town 0–4 Nottingham Forest 9 January 1988
28 Arsenal 2–0 Millwall 9 January 1988
29 Leeds United 1–2 Aston Villa 9 January 1988
30 Stoke City 0–0 Liverpool 9 January 1988
Replay Liverpool 1–0 Stoke City 12 January 1988
31 Oxford United 2–0 Leicester City 9 January 1988
32 Hartlepool United 1–2 Luton Town 9 January 1988

Fourth Round Proper

The fourth round of games were played over the weekend 30 January-1 February 1988, with replays being played on 3 February. A second replay was then played on 9 February.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Blackpool 1–1 Manchester City 30 January 1988
Replay Manchester City 2–1 Blackpool 3 February 1988
2 Aston Villa 0–2 Liverpool 31 January 1988
3 Luton Town 2–1 Southampton 30 January 1988
4 Everton 1–1 Middlesbrough 30 January 1988
Replay Middlesbrough 2–2 Everton 3 February 1988
Replay Everton 2–1 Middlesbrough 9 February 1988
5 Newcastle United 5–0 Swindon Town 30 January 1988
6 Queens Park Rangers 3–1 West Ham United 30 January 1988
7 Barnsley 0–2 Birmingham City 30 January 1988
8 Coventry City 0–1 Watford 30 January 1988
9 Portsmouth 2–1 Sheffield United 1 February 1988
10 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–2 Arsenal 30 January 1988
11 Manchester United 2–0 Chelsea 30 January 1988
12 Plymouth Argyle 1–0 Shrewsbury Town 30 January 1988
13 Bradford City 4–2 Oxford United 30 January 1988
14 Mansfield Town 1–2 Wimbledon 30 January 1988
15 Port Vale 2–1 Tottenham Hotspur 30 January 1988
16 Leyton Orient 1–2 Nottingham Forest 30 January 1988

Fifth Round Proper

The fifth set of games were played over the weekend 20–21 February 1988, with replays on 23–24 February.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Everton 0–1 Liverpool 21 February 1988
2 Newcastle United 1–3 Wimbledon 20 February 1988
3 Manchester City 3–1 Plymouth Argyle 20 February 1988
4 Queens Park Rangers 1–1 Luton Town 20 February 1988
Replay Luton Town 1–0 Queens Park Rangers 24 February 1988
5 Portsmouth 3–0 Bradford City 20 February 1988
6 Port Vale 0–0 Watford 20 February 1988
Replay Watford 2–0 Port Vale 23 February 1988
7 Arsenal 2–1 Manchester United 20 February 1988
8 Birmingham City 0–1 Nottingham Forest 20 February 1988

Sixth Round Proper

The sixth round of FA Cup games were played over the weekend 12–13 March 1988. There were no replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Luton Town 3–1 Portsmouth 12 March 1988
2 Manchester City 0–4 Liverpool 13 March 1988
3 Wimbledon 2–1 Watford 12 March 1988
4 Arsenal 1–2 Nottingham Forest 12 March 1988


Luton Town's fine season in the cup competitions culminated in a semi-final clash with Wimbledon at White Hart Lane. Wimbledon emerged as 2-1 winners to reach the FA Cup final, in only their second season in the First Division and their 11th in the Football League.

On the same day, First Division leaders Liverpool took on a resurgent Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough. Top scorer John Aldridge found the net twice in a 2-1 win.

Luton Town1 – 2Wimbledon
Harford Goal Fashanu Goal (pen.)
Wise Goal
Liverpool2 – 1Nottingham Forest
Aldridge Goal 14' (pen.)51' Clough Goal 67'


Wimbledon1 – 0Liverpool
Sanchez Goal 37'

Television Coverage

The right to show FA Cup games were, as with Football League matches, shared between the BBC and ITV. The stations would alternate between showing a live game and a highlights programme. No games from Rounds 1 or 2 were shown. Occasional highlights of replays would be shown on either the BBC or ITV.[1][2]

These matches were.

Round BBC1 ITV
Third round proper Ipswich Town vs Manchester United Sutton United v Middlesbrough
Yeovil Town v Queen's Park Rangers1
Sheffield Wednesday v Everton1
Reading vs Southampton - TVS
Swindon Town vs Norwich City - HTV West
Everton v Sheffield Wednesday (Replay)1
Norwich City vs Swindon Town (Replay)1
Everton v Sheffield Wednesday (2nd Replay)1
Sheffield Wednesday v Everton (3rd Replay)1
Fourth round proper Manchester United v Chelsea1
Port Vale vs Tottenham Hotspur1
Leyton Orient vs Nottingham Forest 1
Aston Villa vs Liverpool1
Middlesbrough vs Everton (Replay)1
Manchester City vs Blackpool (Replay)
Fifth round proper Everton v Liverpool1 Arsenal vs Manchester United1
Newcastle United vs Wimbledon1
Port Vale vs Watford
Portsmouth vs Bradford City - TVS
Sixth round proper Arsenal vs Nottingham Forest1
Wimbledon vs Watford1
Luton Town vs Portsmouth
Manchester City vs Liverpool1
Semi-finals Liverpool vs Nottingham Forest 1
Luton Town vs Wimbledon 1
Final Wimbledon vs Liverpool 1 Wimbledon vs Liverpool 1

1Footage available on YouTube


  1. ^ "MOTD Listings 1987-88".
  2. ^ "The Big Match". Archived from the original on 2 March 2014.

External links

1987–88 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1987–88 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 85th in the Football League and their 35th in the Second Division. They finished in 19th position in the division, expanded for this season to 23 teams as part of a restructuring process, and again avoided relegation only by two points. They entered the 1987–88 FA Cup in the third round proper and lost in the fifth round to Nottingham Forest, and were beaten by Mansfield Town over two legs in the first round of the League Cup and by Derby County in the first round of the Full Members' Cup.

1987–88 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1987-88 is the 107th season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualifying rounds. The 28 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1988 FA Charity Shield

The 1988 FA Charity Shield was the 66th Charity Shield, a football match contested by the winners of the previous season's Football League and FA Cup competitions. The match was played on 20 August 1988 between 1987–88 Football League champions Liverpool and 1987–88 FA Cup winners Wimbledon.

The fixture was a rematch of previous season's FA Cup Final, and Liverpool gained some small revenge for that defeat with a 2–1 win, with both of their goals coming from John Aldridge – the player whose penalty in the final three months earlier had been saved. However, the man who had saved his penalty – Wimbledon's goalkeeper Dave Beasant – had gone, transferred to Newcastle United in the close season, and his place for this game was taken by Simon Tracey.

Wimbledon had taken the lead in the 17th minute with a John Fashanu header from a Dennis Wise cross from the right. Liverpool equalized with John Aldridge scoring after 23 minutes. Wimbledon goalkeeper Simon Tracey had come out of the penalty box to clear the ball, but the ball was quickly passed to Aldridge from John Barnes who rolled the ball into the empty net from the edge of the penalty area. Liverpool took the lead after 69 minutes with Aldridge again scoring after a cross from John Barnes. Barnes had made a long run down the left and crossed to Aldridge who controlled the ball with his left leg before volleying with his right to the net.

1988 FA Cup Final

The 1988 FA Cup Final was the 107th final of the FA Cup. It took place on 14 May 1988 at Wembley Stadium and was contested between Wimbledon and Liverpool, the dominant English club side of the 1980s and newly crowned league champions.In one of the biggest shocks in the history of the competition, Wimbledon won 1–0 to win the cup for the only time in their history; they had just completed their second season in the Football League First Division and had only been in the Football League for 11 years. The final also featured the first penalty save in an FA Cup final, by Dave Beasant from John Aldridge, while Beasant also became the first goalkeeper to captain an FA Cup-winning side. It was the last FA Cup final to be broadcast by both the BBC and ITV, which had happened since 1958. Wimbledon's victory ended Liverpool's bid to become the first team to win the Double twice, a feat that was eventually achieved by rivals Manchester United in 1996 and Arsenal in 1998.

1990 Football League Second Division play-off Final

The 1990 Football League Division Two play-off Final was contested by Sunderland and Swindon Town at Wembley Stadium, London. Swindon won the match by a scoreline of one goal to nil, with a Alan McLoughlin goal via a wicked deflection from Gary Bennett thus deciding the fixture. Swindon Town were later demoted after being found guilty of financial irregularities which resulted in Sunderland gaining promotion.

1990 Football League play-offs

The Football League play-offs for the 1989–90 season were held in May 1990, with the finals taking place at Wembley Stadium. The play-off semi-finals were also played over two legs and were contested by the teams who finished in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th place in the Football League Second Division, the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th placed teams in the Football League Third Division and the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th place teams in the Football League Fourth Division table. The winners of the semi-finals progressed through to the finals, with the winner of these matches gaining promotion for the following season. The 1990 play-offs finals were the first to be played at Wembley Stadium.

Achilles F.C.

Achilles Football Club is a football club based in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. The club are currently members of the Suffolk & Ipswich League Senior Division and play at Pauls Social Club.

Brian Clough

Brian Howard Clough, OBE ( KLUF; 21 March 1935 – 20 September 2004) was an English football player and manager. He played as a striker and remains one of the Football League's highest goalscorers, but his career was shortened by a serious injury. As a manager, Clough's name is closely associated with that of Peter Taylor, who served as his assistant manager at various clubs in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. They achieved great successes with Derby County and Nottingham Forest. Clough is also remembered for doing frequent radio and television interviews in which he made controversial remarks about players, other managers, and the overall state of the game.

During his playing career with Middlesbrough and Sunderland, Clough scored 251 league goals from 274 starts, making him the third most prolific scorer in the league, with a conversion rate of 91.61%. He also won two England caps, both in 1959. Clough retired from playing at the age of 29, after sustaining anterior cruciate ligament damage. In 1965, Clough took the manager's job at Fourth Division Hartlepools United and appointed Peter Taylor as his assistant, the start of an enduring partnership that would bring them success at several clubs over the next two decades. In 1967, the duo moved on to Second Division Derby County. In 1968–69, Derby were promoted as Second Division champions. Three years later, Derby were crowned champions of England for the first time in the club's history. In 1973, they reached the semi-finals of the European Cup. However, by this point, Clough's relationship with chairman Sam Longson had deteriorated, and he and Taylor resigned. This was followed by an eight-month spell in charge of Third Division Brighton & Hove Albion, before Clough (without Taylor) returned north in the summer of 1974 to become manager of Leeds United. This was widely regarded as a surprise appointment, given his previous outspoken criticism of the Leeds players and their manager Don Revie. He was sacked after just 44 days in the job. Within months, Clough had joined Second Division Nottingham Forest, and he was re-united with Taylor in 1976.

In 1977, Forest were promoted to the top flight and the following season won the league title (the first in the club's history), making Clough one of only four managers to have won the English league with two clubs. Forest also won two consecutive European Cups (in 1979 and 1980) and two League Cups (1978 and 1979), before Taylor retired in 1982. Clough stayed on as Forest manager for another decade and won two more League Cups (1989 and 1990) and reached the FA Cup final in 1991, but could not emulate his earlier successes. Forest were relegated from the Premier League in 1993, after which Clough retired from football.

Charismatic, outspoken and often controversial, Clough is considered one of the greatest managers of the English game. His achievements with Derby and Forest, two struggling provincial clubs with little prior history of success, are rated among the greatest in football history. His teams were also noted for playing attractive football and for their good sportsmanship. Despite applying several times and being a popular choice for the job, he was never appointed England manager, and has been dubbed the "greatest manager England never had".

Brian Gayle

Brian Wilbert Gayle (born 6 March 1965) is an English former professional footballer who played as a central defender.Gayle began his career at Wimbledon as an apprentice, signing a full contract in October 1984. He spent time with New Zealand club Napier City Rovers before breaking into the first team. He helped Wimbledon to the sixth round of the 1987–88 FA Cup, which the club ultimately won, but was given a red card for a foul of Malcolm Allen in the match, against Watford, and did not feature in later rounds. In July 1988, Gayle joined Manchester City for £325,000.He was transferred to Ipswich Town for £330,000 in January 1990, and then joined Sheffield United in a £750,000 deal in September 1991. While at the Blades, in 1992, Gayle scored an own goal in a match against local rivals Leeds United, which led to a 2–3 defeat. This, coupled with Manchester United losing to Liverpool, gave Leeds the First Division title.

Craig Johnston

Craig Peter Johnston (born 25 June 1960) is an Australian former professional footballer. He played as a midfielder in the English Football League between 1977 and 1988, winning five league titles and an FA Cup (scoring in the 1986 final) with Liverpool. Nicknamed "skippy", Johnston was a crowd favourite at Anfield, making 271 Liverpool appearances and scoring 40 goals. He was a key member of the 1986 "double" winning team. He also co-wrote the team's 1988 cup final song "Anfield Rap".

After retiring, he designed and created the prototype for Adidas' Predator football boot, worn by many footballers and rugby players. He was eligible for the Australian and South African national teams, but only ever appeared for the England U-21 youth team.

John Aldridge

John William "Aldo" Aldridge (born 18 September 1958 in Liverpool, England) is a former Republic of Ireland international footballer and football manager. He was a prolific record-breaking striker best known for his time with Liverpool in the late 1980s.

His tally of 330 league goals is the 6th highest in the history of English football.

List of Sunderland A.F.C. records and statistics

Sunderland Association Football Club are a professional football club based in Sunderland, North East England. They were announced to the world by the local newspaper, The Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette on 27 September 1880 as Sunderland & District Teachers Association Football Club following a meeting of the Teachers at Rectory Park school in Sunderland on 25 September 1880. The football club changed their name to the current form on 16 October 1880, just 20 days after the September announcement. They were elected into The Football League in the 1890–91 season, becoming the first team to join the league since its inauguration in the 1889–90 season, replacing Stoke F.C..

Manchester United F.C.–Arsenal F.C. brawl (1990)

On 20 October 1990, Manchester United Football Club faced Arsenal Football Club in a Football League First Division fixture at Old Trafford, during the 1990–91 season. Arsenal won by a single goal, but the game was best remembered for a brawl between both teams. The Football Association (FA) took the unprecedented step of deducting league points from the two clubs.

The only goal of the match came moments before half-time, scored by Arsenal midfielder Anders Limpar. In the second half, Limpar was involved in a contest for the ball with Manchester United defender Denis Irwin; Limpar's teammate Nigel Winterburn made a tackle on Irwin that precipitated a melee between both sets of players. All but one of the twenty-two players on the field were involved; it lasted no more than 20 seconds and referee Keith Hackett booked only Limpar and Winterburn for their actions.

Manchester United and Arsenal took immediate action by fining a number of their players; Arsenal also punished their manager, George Graham. A month after the game, the FA fined both clubs £50,000 for bringing the game into disrepute. Arsenal were docked two points, one more than Manchester United as they were involved in a similar brawl against Norwich City in 1989. This did not impact on Arsenal's title challenge, however, as they went on to become league champions with just one defeat.

As of 2017, it is the only instance in English league football history in which any team has been docked points due to player misconduct. The match is considered to have instigated the rivalry between the two clubs, who competed with each other for silverware regularly through the 1990s and 2000s.

Neil Ruddock

Neil "Razor" Ruddock (born 9 May 1968) is an English former professional footballer, television personality and actor. As a footballer he played as a central defender from 1986 to 2003, and was voted the 17th "hardest footballer of all time".He made his debut at Millwall, having been associated with the club since the age of 13, and also represented Tottenham Hotspur, Southampton, Liverpool, West Ham United, Crystal Palace, Queens Park Rangers and Swindon Town during a professional career spanning 17 years. He was capped once by England, in 1994.

Ruddock came out of retirement in 2015, aged 46, to play for United Counties League side Wellingborough Whitworth.

Nottingham Forest F.C.

Nottingham Forest Football Club, often referred to as simply Forest, is a professional football club based in West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, England in the Nottingham urban area. Forest were founded in 1865 and have played home matches at the City Ground since 1898. They compete in the Championship, the second tier of the English football league system. They are currently the oldest club in the Football League.Forest have won the League title once, two FA Cups, four League Cups, one FA Charity Shield, two European Cups, one UEFA Super Cup, and two Full Members' Cups. Their most successful period was under the management reign of Brian Clough and Peter Taylor between 1976 and 1982.

In Clough's last decade at the club Forest won the 1989 and 1990 League Cups, before a loss to Tottenham in the 1991 FA Cup final and then ultimately got relegated in 1993. Upon an immediate return, Forest finished third in the Premier League in 1995, before the club got relegated again in 1997 and once more in 1999 after a brief return, the club having not returned to the Premier League since. The club have mostly competed in the top two league tiers during their history except for five seasons in the third tier.

Forest have sometimes in the club's history contested the Nottingham derby with Notts County, although Forest have predominantly played in higher leagues than their city rivals.

Sunderland A.F.C.

Sunderland Association Football Club ( (listen), locally ) is an English professional football club based in the city of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear. Sunderland play in League One, the third tier of English football. Since its formation in 1879, the club has won six top-flight (First Division, now the Premier League) titles (1892, 1893, 1895, 1902, 1913 and 1936), a total only bettered by five other clubs, and has finished runners-up five times. The club has also won the FA Cup twice (1937 and 1973) and been runners-up twice (1913 and 1992), as well as winning the FA Community Shield in 1936 and being finalists the following year. Sunderland have also been Football League Cup finalists in 1985 and 2014.

Sunderland won their first FA Cup in 1937 with a 3–1 victory over Preston North End, and remained in the top league for 68 successive seasons until they were relegated for the first time in 1958. Sunderland's most notable trophy after the Second World War was their second FA Cup in 1973, when the club secured a 1–0 victory over Leeds United. The team has won the second tier title five times in that period and the third tier title once.

Sunderland play their home games at the 49,000-capacity all-seater Stadium of Light having moved from Roker Park in 1997. The original ground capacity was 42,000 which was increased to 49,000 following expansion in 2000. Sunderland have a long-standing rivalry with their neighbouring club Newcastle United, with whom they have contested the Tyne–Wear derby since 1898.

Sutton United F.C.

Sutton United Football Club is a football club in Sutton, South London, England, who play in the National League, the fifth tier of English football. They play home games at Gander Green Lane, close to West Sutton Station. The club is an FA Charter Standard Community Club affiliated to the Surrey County Football Association.Sutton started out playing in junior, local leagues, but progressed into the Athenian League in 1921; the Isthmian League in 1964; and the Conference in 1986. The team fell back into the Isthmian League in 1991. They appeared in the Conference for one more season in 1999–2000, and were founding members of the Conference South (now known as National League South) in 2004. Sutton won the National League South in 2015–16 and since 2016–17 have competed in the National League, one tier below the Football League.

The team has had several cup successes, including playing at Wembley in the FA Amateur Cup final twice and in the FA Trophy final in 1981. Sutton won the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1979, but the club is most famous for its FA Cup "giant killing" exploits, most notably in the 1988–89 season, when they defeated Coventry City 2–1 in the 3rd Round. The Coventry team was composed mostly of star international players and had won the competition in 1987. In the 2016–17 season, Sutton reached the 5th Round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history, beating three Football League teams (Cheltenham Town, AFC Wimbledon and Leeds United) before losing 2–0 at home to Arsenal.

Terry Wilson (footballer, born 1969)

Terry Wilson (born 8 February 1969) is a Scottish former under 21 international professional footballer. He played at centre midfield and centre back. He played 178 first team games for Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest collecting four winners medals from finals at Wembley Stadium. He was a two time PFA Young Player of the Year nominee and played in two FA Cup semi final defeats. His senior playing career ended the month before his 24th birthday due to knee injury. He has remained in football as a professional coach.

Warrington Town F.C.

Warrington Town Football Club is an association football club based in Warrington, Cheshire. They were established in 1949 under the name of Stockton Heath Albion, adopting their current name in 1961.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
Related to national team
198788 in European football (UEFA)
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
League cups
UEFA competitions
Non-UEFA competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.