1984–85 FA Cup

The 1984–85 FA Cup was the 104th staging of the world's oldest football knockout competition, The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup. The competition was won by Manchester United, who defeated Everton 1–0 at Wembley, thus denying Everton the double just 3 days after winning the European Cup Winners' Cup. The final was also notable for seeing the first sending off, with Kevin Moran obtaining the unwanted distinction.

For information on the matches played from the Preliminary Round to the Fourth Qualifying Round, see 1984–85 FA Cup Qualifying rounds.

1984–85 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsEverton
ChampionsManchester United
(6th title)

First round proper

The first round of games were played over the weekend 17–19 November 1984. Replays were played on 19th-20th, except that for Swindon Town and Dagenham, which was played on 26th.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Blackpool 0–1 Altrincham 17 November 1984
2 Darlington 3–2 Chester City 17 November 1984
3 Burnley 9–0 Penrith 17 November 1984
4 Preston North End 4–3 Bury 17 November 1984
5 Rochdale 1–2 Doncaster Rovers 17 November 1984
6 Weymouth 0–3 Millwall 17 November 1984
7 Gillingham 2–1 Windsor & Eton 17 November 1984
8 Northwich Victoria 3–1 Crewe Alexandra 17 November 1984
9 Macclesfield Town 1–2 Port Vale 17 November 1984
10 Lincoln City 1–1 Telford United 17 November 1984
Replay Telford United 2–1 Lincoln City 20 November 1984
11 Wrexham 0–2 Wigan Athletic 17 November 1984
12 Stockport County 1–2 Walsall 17 November 1984
13 Bangor City 1–1 Tranmere Rovers 17 November 1984
Replay Tranmere Rovers 7–0 Bangor City 20 November 1984
14 Brentford 4–0 Bishop's Stortford 17 November 1984
15 Bristol Rovers 2–1 King's Lynn 17 November 1984
16 Northampton Town 2–2 VS Rugby 17 November 1984
Replay VS Rugby 0–1 Northampton Town 21 November 1984
17 Plymouth Argyle 3–0 Barnet 17 November 1984
18 Bradford City 7–2 Tow Law Town 17 November 1984
19 Hull City 2–1 Bolton Wanderers 17 November 1984
20 Southend United 2–2 Colchester United 17 November 1984
Replay Colchester United 3–2 Southend United 21 November 1984
21 Exeter City 2–2 Enfield 17 November 1984
Replay Enfield 3–0 Exeter City 20 November 1984
22 Mansfield Town 2–1 Rotherham United 17 November 1984
23 Halifax Town 2–0 Goole Town 17 November 1984
24 Newport County 1–1 Aldershot 17 November 1984
Replay Aldershot 4–0 Newport County 20 November 1984
25 Torquay United 2–0 Yeovil Town 17 November 1984
26 York City 2–0 Blue Star 17 November 1984
27 Metropolitan Police 0–3 Dartford 17 November 1984
28 Hereford United 3–0 Farnborough Town 17 November 1984
29 Kettering Town 0–0 Bournemouth 17 November 1984
Replay Bournemouth 3–2 Kettering Town 20 November 1984
30 Barry Town 1–2 Reading 17 November 1984
31 Nuneaton Borough 1–1 Scunthorpe United 17 November 1984
Replay Scunthorpe United 2–1 Nuneaton Borough 20 November 1984
32 Whitby Town 1–3 Chesterfield 17 November 1984
33 Buckingham Town 0–2 Orient 17 November 1984
34 Burton Albion 2–0 Staines Town 17 November 1984
35 Dagenham 0–0 Swindon Town 19 November 1984
Replay Swindon Town 1–2 Dagenham 26 November 1984
36 Cambridge United 0–2 Peterborough United 17 November 1984
37 Swansea City 1–1 Bognor Regis Town 17 November 1984
Replay Bognor Regis Town 3–1 Swansea City 21 November 1984
38 Frickley Athletic 2–1 Stalybridge Celtic 17 November 1984
39 Hartlepool United 2–1 Derby County 17 November 1984
40 Fisher Athletic 0–1 Bristol City 17 November 1984

Second round proper

The second round of games were played over 7–8 December 1984, with replays being played on 11th, 12th and 17th.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Darlington 1–0 Frickley Athletic 8 December 1984
2 Dartford 1–1 Bournemouth 8 December 1984
Replay Bournemouth 4–1 Dartford 11 December 1984
3 Bristol City 1–3 Bristol Rovers 8 December 1984
4 Burnley 3–1 Halifax Town 8 December 1984
5 Preston North End 1–4 Telford United 8 December 1984
6 Reading 6–2 Bognor Regis Town 8 December 1984
7 Walsall 1–0 Chesterfield 8 December 1984
8 Tranmere Rovers 0–3 Hull City 8 December 1984
9 Brentford 2–2 Northampton Town 8 December 1984
Replay Northampton Town 0–2 Brentford 17 December 1984
10 Plymouth Argyle 0–0 Hereford United 8 December 1984
Replay Hereford United 2–0 Plymouth Argyle 12 December 1984
11 Bradford City 2–1 Mansfield Town 8 December 1984
12 Millwall 1–0 Enfield 8 December 1984
13 Altrincham 1–3 Doncaster Rovers 8 December 1984
14 Port Vale 4–1 Scunthorpe United 7 December 1984
15 Aldershot 0–2 Burton Albion 8 December 1984
16 Wigan Athletic 2–1 Northwich Victoria 8 December 1984
17 Colchester United 0–5 Gillingham 8 December 1984
18 Dagenham 1–0 Peterborough United 8 December 1984
19 Orient 3–0 Torquay United 8 December 1984
20 Hartlepool United 0–2 York City 8 December 1984

Third round proper

Most of the third round of games in the FA Cup were played over the weekend 4–6 January 1985, with the exception of the Gillingham-Cardiff City match. Replays took place at various times over the period 8–28 January, however. The FA ordered the Leicester and Burton Albion game to be replayed behind closed doors after the Burton Albion goalkeeper had been struck by a bottle in the first game which had ended in a 6–1 win for Leicester.[1]

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 3–0 Aston Villa 5 January 1985
2 Southampton 4–0 Sunderland 5 January 1985
3 Watford 5–0 Sheffield United 5 January 1985
4 Gillingham 2–1 Cardiff City 21 January 1985
5 Notts County 2–2 Grimsby Town 5 January 1985
Replay Grimsby Town 4–2 Notts County 8 January 1985
6 Nottingham Forest 1–1 Newcastle United 6 January 1985
Replay Newcastle United 1–3 Nottingham Forest 9 January 1985
7 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1–1 Huddersfield Town 5 January 1985
Replay Huddersfield Town 3–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 23 January 1985
8 Middlesbrough 0–0 Darlington 5 January 1985
Replay Darlington 2–1 Middlesbrough 8 January 1985
9 Luton Town 1–1 Stoke City 5 January 1985
Replay Stoke City 2–3 Luton Town 9 January 1985
10 Shrewsbury Town 0–2 Oxford United 5 January 1985
11 Doncaster Rovers 1–0 Queens Park Rangers 5 January 1985
12 Tottenham Hotspur 1–1 Charlton Athletic 5 January 1985
Replay Charlton Athletic 1–2 Tottenham Hotspur 23 January 1985
13 Fulham 2–3 Sheffield Wednesday 5 January 1985
14 Barnsley 4–3 Reading 5 January 1985
15 Bristol Rovers 1–2 Ipswich Town 5 January 1985
16 Coventry City 2–1 Manchester City 5 January 1985
17 Portsmouth 0–0 Blackburn Rovers 5 January 1985
Replay Blackburn Rovers 2–1 Portsmouth 26 January 1985
18 West Ham United 4–1 Port Vale 5 January 1985
19 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–0 Hull City 5 January 1985
20 Manchester United 3–0 Bournemouth 5 January 1985
21 Millwall 1–1 Crystal Palace 5 January 1985
Replay Crystal Palace 1–2 Millwall 23 January 1985
22 Carlisle United 1–0 Dagenham 5 January 1985
23 Oldham Athletic 2–1 Brentford 5 January 1985
24 Chelsea 2–2 Wigan Athletic 5 January 1985
Replay Wigan Athletic 0–5 Chelsea 26 January 1985
25 Wimbledon 3–1 Burnley 5 January 1985
26 Leeds United 0–2 Everton 4 January 1985
27 York City 3–0 Walsall 5 January 1985
28 Hereford United 1–1 Arsenal 5 January 1985
Replay Arsenal 7–2 Hereford United 22 January 1985
29 Birmingham City 0–0 Norwich City 5 January 1985
Replay Norwich City 1–1 Birmingham City 23 January 1985
Replay Birmingham City 1–1 Norwich City 26 January 1985
Replay Norwich City 1–0 Birmingham City 28 January 1985
30 Burton Albion 1–6 Leicester City 5 January 1985
Replay Burton Albion 0–1 Leicester City 16 January 1985
31 Orient 2–1 West Bromwich Albion 5 January 1985
32 Telford United 2–1 Bradford City 5 January 1985

Fourth round proper

The fourth round of games were mainly played over the weekend 26–27 January 1985. Some games were instead played or replayed on 29–30 January or 4 February.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Darlington 1–1 Telford United 29 January 1985
Replay Telford United 3–0 Darlington 4 February 1985
2 Liverpool 1–0 Tottenham Hotspur 27 January 1985
3 Leicester City 1–0 Carlisle United 26 January 1985
4 Nottingham Forest 0–0 Wimbledon 26 January 1985
Replay Wimbledon 1–0 Nottingham Forest 30 January 1985
5 Sheffield Wednesday 5–1 Oldham Athletic 26 January 1985
6 Grimsby Town 1–3 Watford 26 January 1985
7 Luton Town 2–0 Huddersfield Town 26 January 1985
8 Everton 2–0 Doncaster Rovers 26 January 1985
9 Ipswich Town 3–2 Gillingham 26 January 1985
10 Barnsley 2–1 Brighton & Hove Albion 26 January 1985
11 West Ham United 2–1 Norwich City 4 February 1985
12 Manchester United 2–1 Coventry City 26 January 1985
13 Chelsea 2–3 Millwall 4 February 1985
14 York City 1–0 Arsenal 26 January 1985
15 Oxford United 0–1 Blackburn Rovers 30 January 1985
16 Orient 0–2 Southampton 26 January 1985

Fifth round proper

The fifth set of games were intended to be played on 15–16 February 1985, but most of these matches were not played until the 4 March, with replays taking place on 6th.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Southampton 1–2 Barnsley 4 March 1985
2 Blackburn Rovers 0–2 Manchester United 15 February 1985
3 Luton Town 0–0 Watford 4 March 1985
Replay Watford 2–2 Luton Town 6 March 1985
Replay Luton Town 1–0 Watford 9 March 1985
4 Everton 3–0 Telford United 16 February 1985
5 Ipswich Town 3–2 Sheffield Wednesday 4 March 1985
6 Millwall 2–0 Leicester City 19 February 1985
7 Wimbledon 1–1 West Ham United 4 March 1985
Replay West Ham United 5–1 Wimbledon 6 March 1985
8 York City 1–1 Liverpool 16 February 1985
Replay Liverpool 7–0 York City 20 February 1985

Sixth round proper

The sixth round of FA Cup games were played either at the weekend on 9–10 March or midweek on 13 March 1985. A replay was also played on this later date.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Luton Town 1–0 Millwall 13 March 1985
2 Everton 2–2 Ipswich Town 9 March 1985
Replay Ipswich Town 0–1 Everton 13 March 1985
3 Barnsley 0–4 Liverpool 10 March 1985
4 Manchester United 4–2 West Ham United 9 March 1985

Semi finals

Manchester United2 – 2
Robson Goal 69'
Stapleton Goal 98'
Report Whelan Goal 87'
Walsh Goal 119'
Liverpool1 – 2Manchester United
McGrath Goal 39' (o.g.) Report Robson Goal 46'
Hughes Goal 58'
Everton2 – 1
Luton Town
Sheedy Goal 85'
Mountfield Goal 115'
Report Hill Goal 38'


Manchester United1 – 0
Moran Red card 78'
Whiteside Goal 110'

TV Coverage

The right to show FA Cup games were, as with Football League matches, shared between the BBC and ITV. As per the arrangements of the previous season four games were allowed to be screened Live from the Third round to the sixth and shared between the two companies, as well as the Final. For the first time since 1970 ITV showed highlights of a game from outside the Third round. Replays were shared between the two companies.

First Round BBC Met Police v Dartford (Report only)

Second Round BBC Dagenham v Peterborough United (Report only)

ITV Reading v Bognor Regis Town (Highlights shown nationally after the league game between Southampton v Arsenal with commentary from Peter Brackley

Third Round BBC Leeds United v Everton (LIVE-Friday Evening) ITV Fulham v Sheffield Wednesday Hereford United v Arsenal Liverpool v Aston Villa Newcastle United v Nottingham Forest (Midweek replay) Charlton Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur (Midweek replay)

Fourth Round BBC York City v Arsenal Orient v Southampton Grimsby Town v Watford Wimbledon v Nottingham Forest (Midweek replay) ITV Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur (LIVE-Sunday Afternoon)

Fifth Round BBC Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United (LIVE-Friday Evening) Luton Town v Watford (Saturday 2nd replay) ITV York City v Liverpool Everton v Telford United

Sixth Round BBC Manchester United v West Ham United Everton v Ipswich Town Luton Town v Millwall (Midweek) Ipswich Town v Everton (Midweek replay) ITV Barnsley v Liverpool (LIVE-Sunday Afternoon)

Semi-Finals BBC Everton v Luton Town ITV Liverpool v Manchester United Liverpool v Manchester United (Midweek replay)

Final Everton v Manchester United shown Live by both the BBC & ITV.


  1. ^ The Independent, 8 January 2002
1984–85 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1984–85 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 82nd in the Football League and their 33rd in the Second Division, to which they were relegated in 1983–84. They finished in second position in the 22-team division, so were promoted back to the First Division after only one season. They entered the 1984–85 FA Cup in the third round proper, and lost to Norwich City in that round after three replays. They were eliminated from the League Cup by West Bromwich Albion in the third round after a replay.

Wayne Clarke was the club's top scorer, with 19 goals in all competitions, of which 17 were scored in the league.

The last home game of the season, a 1–0 win against Leeds United in front of a season-high crowd of nearly 25,000 that confirmed promotion back to the top flight, was marred by rioting in which 500 people were injured and a 15-year-old boy died when a wall collapsed. The match took place on the same day as the Bradford City stadium fire, and both formed part of the remit of Mr Justice Popplewell's inquiry into safety at sports grounds. According to his report, the events at St Andrew's "more resembled the battle of Agincourt than a football match".

1984–85 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1984–85 is the 104th season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualifying rounds. The 28 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1985 FA Charity Shield

The 1985 FA Charity Shield (also known as the General Motors FA Charity Shield for sponsorship reasons) was the 63rd FA Charity Shield, an annual football match played between the winners of the previous season's First Division and FA Cup competitions. The match was played on 10 August 1985 at Wembley Stadium and contested by Everton, who had won the 1984–85 First Division, and Manchester United, who had won the 1984–85 FA Cup. Everton won 2–0 with goals from Trevor Steven and Adrian Heath. Trevor Steven put Everton into the lead when he swept home from six yards after a cross from the left in the first half. The second goal came in the second half when Manchester United goalkeeper Gary Bailey dropped a cross from the left to allow Adrian Heath to tip the ball past him into the left corner of the net.

The Charity Shield was the first competitive game that new striker Gary Lineker played for Everton, and although he failed to get on the scoresheet in the game he made up for it by scoring 40 goals in all competitions that season. He took the place in the team previously occupied by Andy Gray. Kevin Moran of Manchester United had been sent off in the final and he was suspended for this game, with his place in the side being taken by understudy Graeme Hogg, and Gordon Strachan was replaced by Mike Duxbury. These were the only differences between the first XI of this game and the FA Cup final earlier in May 1985.

1985 FA Cup Final

The 1985 FA Cup Final was the 104th final of the FA Cup. It took place on 18 May 1985 at Wembley Stadium, and was contested by Manchester United and holders Everton. United won by a single goal, scored in extra time by Norman Whiteside, when he curled the ball into the net past the reach of Neville Southall after a run from the right.

1985 Luton riot

The 1985 Luton riot occurred before, during and after a 1984–85 FA Cup sixth-round football match between Luton Town and Millwall on 13 March 1985 at Luton Town's Kenilworth Road ground. It was one of the worst incidents of football hooliganism during the 1980s, and led to a ban on away supporters by Luton Town which lasted for four seasons. This itself led to Luton's expulsion from the Football League Cup during the 1986–87 season. The club also began to enforce a membership card scheme, which Margaret Thatcher's government attempted to have adopted at grounds across England. Kenilworth Road was damaged, along with the surrounding area, and a year later was converted to an all-seater stadium.

Andy Gray (footballer, born 1955)

Andrew Mullen Gray (born 30 November 1955) is a Scottish retired footballer who played for several clubs in Scotland and England, while also representing his country. He was the lead football pundit for Sky Sports until his dismissal in January 2011, following multiple allegations of sexism. Gray, along with former Sky Sports anchor Richard Keys, then signed for talkSPORT in February 2011. They now both work for beIN Sports in Doha, Qatar.

Chris Price

Christopher James "Chris" Price (born 30 March 1960) is an English former footballer who made 561 appearances in the Football League and Premier League, playing for Hereford United, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers and Portsmouth. He played as a right-back.

Dartford F.C.

Dartford Football Club is an association football club based in Dartford, Kent, England. The club currently participates in the National League South, the sixth tier of English football.

The club was formed in 1888 by members of the Dartford Working Men's Club. After winning the Isthmian League Division One North in the 2007–08 season and the Isthmian League Premier Division in the 2009–10 season, Dartford were promoted to the Conference Premier in 2012, in which they spent three seasons. The club's best performances in the FA Cup came in 1936 and 1937, when they reached the third round of the competition; they have also reached the final of the FA Trophy once, in 1974.

Home matches are played at the club's environmentally friendly stadium, Princes Park, opened in November 2006.

Garry MacDonald

Garry MacDonald is an English retired footballer who played for five clubs in the English Football League.After making over 50 league appearances for Middlesbrough he moved to Carlisle United in 1984-85. However, he soon moved on to Darlington where he managed 162 league appearances (35 goals), and also scored a crucial goal for them in their 1984-85 FA Cup tie victory over Middlesbrough.Following his time at Darlington he was transferred to Stockport County in 1989/90, although he only made a single league appearance for them.He returned to the North East with Hartlepool United and made 18 league appearances with them until he finished his Football League career in 1990-91. His last match for Hartlepool was in October 1990 against York City, and after Hartlepool he moved into non-league football with South Bank F.C..

Graeme Aldred

Graeme Aldred (11 September 1966 – 22 February 1987) was an English footballer who made 44 appearances in the Football League playing as a right back for Darlington in the 1980s. He began his career as a trainee with Newcastle United, and also played non-league football for clubs including Barrow and Whitley Bay.

History of Arsenal F.C. (1966–present)

The history of Arsenal Football Club from 1966 to the present day covers the third, fourth, and fifth periods of success in Arsenal's history, including three Doubles, a Cup Double, and success in European football.

Following Bertie Mee's appointment in 1966, Arsenal won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, their first European trophy, in 1969–70, and their first League and FA Cup double in 1970–71. The Double-winning side, however, was soon broken up and the following decade was characterised by a series of near misses: Arsenal lost three FA Cup finals (1971–72, 1977–78, and 1979–80) and the 1979–80 Cup Winners' Cup final on penalties. The club's only success during this time was an FA Cup win in 1978–79 against Manchester United.

After stagnation in the 1980s, the return of former player George Graham as manager in 1986 brought a third period of glory. Arsenal won the League Cup in 1986–87, the Football League Centenary Trophy in 1988, two League title wins in 1988–89 and 1990–91, the FA Cup and League Cup double in 1992–93 and a second European trophy, the Cup Winners' Cup, in 1993–94. However, Graham's reputation was tarnished when it was revealed that he had taken kickbacks for signing certain players and he was sacked in 1995.

Arsenal fifth period of success came with the appointment of Arsène Wenger in 1996. Under him, Arsenal won a second league and cup double in 1997–98 and then a third in 2001–02. In addition, the club were victorious in the 2002–03 and 2004–05 FA Cups, and won the Premier League in 2003–04 without losing a single match. In 2005–06 became the first London club to reach the UEFA Champions League Final, and lost 2–1 against FC Barcelona. During the following close season, they left their longstanding home of Highbury to the new Emirates Stadium nearby.Their new home would unfortunately see a trophy drought for the next seven years.The Emirates Stadium would have something to celebrate as Arsenal would win 3 FA Cups for the next four seasons.

Irlam Town F.C.

Irlam Town F.C. was a football club from Irlam, Greater Manchester.

List of York City F.C. players (25–99 appearances)

York City Football Club is a professional association football club based in York, North Yorkshire, England. Formed in May 1922, the club failed to be elected to the Football League for the 1922–23 season, but succeeded in gaining admission to the Midland League. After seven seasons of competing in the Midland League, the club was elected to play in the Football League ahead of 1929–30. After 75 years of Football League membership, York were relegated to the Football Conference in 2004. This is where the club remained for eight years before promotion back to the Football League was achieved with victory in the 2012 Conference Premier play-off Final. However, York were relegated to the National League four years later.The club's first team have competed in numerous competitions, and all players who have played between 25 and 99 first-team matches, either as a member of the starting eleven or as a substitute, are listed below. Each player's details include the duration of his York career, his typical playing position while with the club, and the number of matches played and goals scored in domestic league matches and in all senior competitive matches. Where applicable, the list also includes the national team for which the player was selected, and the number of senior international caps he won. The names are initially ordered by number of appearances in total, then by number of league appearances, then by date of debut, and then if necessary by alphabetical order. All statistics are correct up to and including the match played on 27 April 2019, the final match of the 2018–19 National League North season.

Mike Astbury

Michael John Astbury (born 22 January 1964 in Kippax), also known as Mick Astbury, was a professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper for five Football League clubs.

Northampton Spencer F.C.

Northampton Spencer F.C. was a football club based in Northampton, England. Their ground was Kingsthorpe Mill. They played in the United Counties League Division One.

Radstock Town F.C.

Radstock Town Football Club is a football club based in Radstock, Somerset, England. It is a member of the Western League Division One and plays at the Southfields Recreation Ground. The club is affiliated to the Somerset County FA.

Tadcaster Albion A.F.C.

Tadcaster Albion Association Football Club are an English football club based in Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, formed in 1892. Their ground is situated behind the John Smith's brewery in Tadcaster, thus the reason for their nickname "The Brewers". Currently, they are members of the Northern Premier League. They are managed by Michael Morton & Simon Collins who were appointed in May 2017.

Welwyn Garden City F.C.

Welwyn Garden City Football Club is a football club based in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire . They currently play in the Southern League Division One Central.

York City F.C.

York City Football Club is a professional association football club based in the city of York, North Yorkshire, England. The team compete in the National League North, the sixth tier of league football in England, as of the 2018–19 season.

Founded in 1908, the club played seven seasons in non-League football before folding in 1917. A new club was formed in 1922, and played in the Midland League for seven years before joining the Football League. They played in the third tier until 1959, when they were promoted for the first time. York achieved their best run in the FA Cup in 1954–55, when they met Newcastle United in the semi-final. They fluctuated between the Third and Fourth Divisions, before spending two seasons in the Second Division in the 1970s. York first played at Wembley Stadium in 1993, when they won the Third Division play-off final. At the end of 2003–04, they lost their Football League status after being relegated from the Third Division. The 2011–12 FA Trophy was the first national knockout competition won by York, and they returned to the Football League that season.

York are nicknamed the Minstermen, after York Minster, and the team traditionally play in red kits. They played at Fulfordgate from 1922 to 1932, when they moved to their current ground, Bootham Crescent. The ground has been subject to numerous improvements over the years, but the club lost ownership of it when it was transferred to a holding company in 1999. York bought it back five years later, but the terms of the loan used to do so necessitated a move to a new ground. They are due to move into the York Community Stadium for the start of the 2019/20 season. York have had rivalries with numerous clubs, but their traditional rivals are Hull City and Scarborough. The club's record appearance holder is Barry Jackson, who made 539 appearances, while their leading scorer is Norman Wilkinson, with 143 goals.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
198485 in European football (UEFA)
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
League cups
UEFA competitions
Non-UEFA competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.