1983 Australian Open
The 1983 Australian Open was a tennis tournament played on grass courts at the Kooyong Stadium in Melbourne in Victoria in Australia. It was the 72nd edition of the Australian Open and was held from 29 November through 11 December 1983.
Mats Wilander defeated Ivan Lendl, 6–1, 6–4, 6–4
- • It was Wilander's 2nd career Grand Slam singles title and his 1st title at the Australian Open.
Martina Navratilova defeated Kathy Jordan, 6–2, 7–6(7–5)
- • It was Navratilova's 8th career Grand Slam singles title and her 2nd title at the Australian Open.
Mark Edmondson / Paul McNamee defeated Steve Denton / Sherwood Stewart 6–3, 7–6
- It was Edmondson's 4th career Grand Slam title and her 4th Australian Open title. It was McNamee's 4th and last career Grand Slam title and his 2nd Australian Open title.
Martina Navratilova / Pam Shriver defeated Anne Hobbs / Wendy Turnbull 6–4, 6–7, 6–2
- It was Navratilova's 23rd career Grand Slam title and her 5th Australian Open title. It was Shriver's 6th career Grand Slam title and her 2nd Australian Open title.
- The competition was not held between 1970 and 1986.
Stefan Edberg defeated Simon Youl 6–4, 6–4
Amanda Brown defeated Bernadette Randall 7–6, 6–3
Jamie Harty / Des Tyson defeated Darren Cahill / Anthony Lane 3–6, 6–4, 6–3
Bernadette Randall / Kim Staunton defeated Jenny Byrne / Janine Thompson 3–6, 6–3, 6–3
- ^ With this victory Edberg completed the only junior Grand Slam in a calendar year in the Open Era to date. Butch Buchholz completed the same Grand Slam in 1958, but the US Open junior events were invitational at that time.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.