1982–83 FA Cup

The FA Cup 1982–83 was the 102nd season of the world's oldest football knockout competition, The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The competition was won by Manchester United, who drew the first final 2–2, but won the replay 4–0.

1982–83 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsTottenham Hotspur
ChampionsManchester United
(5th title)
Runners-upBrighton & Hove Albion

First round proper

The first round of games were played over the weekend 20–21 November 1982. Replays were played on the 22nd-24th.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Enfield 0–0 Newport County 20 November 1982
Replay Newport County 4–2 Enfield 23 November 1982
2 Blackpool 3–0 Horwich RMI 20 November 1982
3 Chester 1–1 Northwich Victoria 20 November 1982
Replay Northwich Victoria 3–1 Chester 22 November 1982
4 Chesterfield 2–2 Peterborough United 20 November 1982
Replay Peterborough United 2–1 Chesterfield 24 November 1982
5 Darlington 0–1 Scunthorpe United 20 November 1982
6 Bournemouth 0–2 Southend United 20 November 1982
7 Preston North End 5–1 Shepshed Charterhouse 20 November 1982
8 Weymouth 4–3 Maidstone United 20 November 1982
9 Worthing 2–1 Dartford 20 November 1982
10 Reading 1–2 Bishop's Stortford 20 November 1982
11 Walsall 3–0 Kettering Town 20 November 1982
12 Gillingham 1–0 Dagenham 20 November 1982
13 Macclesfield Town 1–5 Worcester City 20 November 1982
14 Swindon Town 2–0 Wealdstone 20 November 1982
15 Tranmere Rovers 4–2 Scarborough 20 November 1982
16 Brentford 7–0 Windsor & Eton 20 November 1982
17 Bristol Rovers 1–0 Wycombe Wanderers 20 November 1982
18 Northampton Town 2–2 Wimbledon 20 November 1982
Replay Wimbledon 0–2 Northampton Town 23 November 1982
19 Portsmouth 4–1 Hereford United 20 November 1982
20 Plymouth Argyle 2–0 Exeter City 20 November 1982
21 Hull City 1–1 Sheffield United 20 November 1982
Replay Sheffield United 2–0 Hull City 23 November 1982
22 Altrincham 2–1 Rochdale 20 November 1982
23 Huddersfield Town 1–0 Mossley 20 November 1982
24 Mansfield Town 3–2 Stockport County 20 November 1982
25 Port Vale 0–1 Bradford City 20 November 1982
26 Halifax Town 0–1 North Shields 20 November 1982
27 Chesham United 0–1 Yeovil Town 20 November 1982
28 Workington 1–2 Doncaster Rovers 20 November 1982
29 Carshalton Athletic 4–0 Barnet 20 November 1982
30 York City 3–1 Bury 20 November 1982
31 Aldershot 4–0 Wimborne Town 20 November 1982
32 Wigan Athletic 0–0 Telford United 21 November 1982
Replay Telford United 2–1 Wigan Athletic 23 November 1982
33 Boston United 3–1 Crewe Alexandra 20 November 1982
34 Holbeach United 0–4 Wrexham 20 November 1982
35 Colchester United 0–2 Torquay United 20 November 1982
36 Slough Town 1–0 Millwall 20 November 1982
37 Wokingham Town 1–1 Cardiff City 20 November 1982
Replay Cardiff City 3–0 Wokingham Town 23 November 1982
38 Oxford United 5–2 Folkestone 20 November 1982
39 Orient 4–1 Bristol City 20 November 1982
40 Hartlepool United 3–0 Lincoln City 20 November 1982

Second round proper

The second round of games were played on 11 December 1982. Replays were played on the 14th–15th, or the 20th.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Preston North End 2–1 Blackpool 11 December 1982
2 Gillingham 1–1 Northampton Town 11 December 1982
Replay Northampton Town 3–2 Gillingham 14 December 1982
3 Swindon Town 2–2 Brentford 11 December 1982
Replay Brentford 1–3 Swindon Town 14 December 1982
4 Bristol Rovers 2–2 Plymouth Argyle 11 December 1982
Replay Plymouth Argyle 1–0 Bristol Rovers 20 December 1982
5 Portsmouth 1–3 Aldershot 11 December 1982
6 Worcester City 2–1 Wrexham 11 December 1982
7 Altrincham 0–1 Huddersfield Town 11 December 1982
8 Southend United 3–0 Yeovil Town 11 December 1982
9 Scunthorpe United 2–1 Northwich Victoria 11 December 1982
10 Mansfield Town 1–1 Bradford City 11 December 1982
Replay Bradford City 3–2 Mansfield Town 15 December 1982
11 Cardiff City 2–3 Weymouth 11 December 1982
12 Newport County 1–0 Orient 11 December 1982
13 Torquay United 4–1 Carshalton Athletic 11 December 1982
14 North Shields 0–3 Walsall 11 December 1982
15 Boston United 1–1 Sheffield United 11 December 1982
Replay Sheffield United 5–1 Boston United 14 December 1982
16 Peterborough United 5–2 Doncaster Rovers 11 December 1982
17 Slough Town 1–4 Bishop's Stortford 11 December 1982
18 Oxford United 4–0 Worthing 11 December 1982
19 Telford United 1–1 Tranmere Rovers 11 December 1982
Replay Tranmere Rovers 2–1 Telford United 14 December 1982
20 Hartlepool United 1–1 York City 11 December 1982
Replay York City 4–0 Hartlepool United 14 December 1982

Third round proper

The third round of games in the FA Cup were played on 8 January 1983. Replays took place over 11–12 January, with a second replay on the 24th.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Watford 2–0 Plymouth Argyle 8 January 1983
2 Walsall 0–0 Birmingham City 8 January 1983
Replay Birmingham City 1–0 Walsall 11 January 1983
3 Leicester City 2–3 Notts County 8 January 1983
4 Blackburn Rovers 1–2 Liverpool 8 January 1983
5 Middlesbrough 2–2 Bishop's Stortford 8 January 1983
Replay Bishop's Stortford 1–2 Middlesbrough 11 January 1983
6 West Bromwich Albion 3–2 Queens Park Rangers 8 January 1983
7 Sunderland 0–0 Manchester City 8 January 1983
Replay Manchester City 2–1 Sunderland 12 January 1983
8 Derby County 2–0 Nottingham Forest 8 January 1983
9 Luton Town 3–0 Peterborough United 8 January 1983
10 Swindon Town 7–0 Aldershot 8 January 1983
11 Shrewsbury Town 2–1 Rotherham United 8 January 1983
12 Sheffield United 0–0 Stoke City 8 January 1983
Replay Stoke City 3–2 Sheffield United 12 January 1983
13 Tranmere Rovers 0–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 8 January 1983
14 Tottenham Hotspur 1–0 Southampton 8 January 1983
15 Northampton Town 0–1 Aston Villa 8 January 1983
16 Coventry City 3–1 Worcester City 8 January 1983
17 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–1 Newcastle United 8 January 1983
Replay Newcastle United 0–1 Brighton & Hove Albion 12 January 1983
18 Manchester United 2–0 West Ham United 8 January 1983
19 Norwich City 2–1 Swansea City 8 January 1983
20 Bradford City 0–1 Barnsley 8 January 1983
21 Carlisle United 2–2 Burnley 8 January 1983
Replay Burnley 3–1 Carlisle United 11 January 1983
22 Oldham Athletic 0–2 Fulham 8 January 1983
23 Crystal Palace 2–1 York City 8 January 1983
24 Southend United 0–0 Sheffield Wednesday 8 January 1983
Replay Sheffield Wednesday 2–2 Southend United 11 January 1983
Replay Sheffield Wednesday 2–1 Southend United 24 January 1983
25 Scunthorpe United 0–0 Grimsby Town 8 January 1983
Replay Grimsby Town 2–0 Scunthorpe United 11 January 1983
26 Huddersfield Town 1–1 Chelsea 8 January 1983
Replay Chelsea 2–0 Huddersfield Town 12 January 1983
27 Newport County 1–1 Everton 8 January 1983
Replay Everton 2–1 Newport County 11 January 1983
28 Charlton Athletic 2–3 Ipswich Town 8 January 1983
29 Arsenal 2–1 Bolton Wanderers 8 January 1983
30 Leeds United 3–0 Preston North End 8 January 1983
31 Cambridge United 1–0 Weymouth 8 January 1983
32 Oxford United 1–1 Torquay United 8 January 1983
Replay Torquay United 2–1 Oxford United 12 January 1983

Fourth round proper

The fourth round of games were mainly played over the weekend 29 –30 January 1983. Some games were replayed on 1–2 February, with a second replay on the 9th.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Burnley 3–1 Swindon Town 29 January 1983
2 Liverpool 2–0 Stoke City 29 January 1983
3 Watford 1–1 Fulham 29 January 1983
Replay Fulham 1–2 Watford 1 February 1983
4 Aston Villa 1–0 Wolverhampton Wanderers 29 January 1983
5 Middlesbrough 2–0 Notts County 29 January 1983
6 Derby County 2–1 Chelsea 29 January 1983
7 Luton Town 0–2 Manchester United 29 January 1983
8 Everton 2–1 Shrewsbury Town 30 January 1983
9 Ipswich Town 2–0 Grimsby Town 29 January 1983
10 Tottenham Hotspur 2–1 West Bromwich Albion 29 January 1983
11 Coventry City 2–2 Norwich City 29 January 1983
Replay Norwich City 2–1 Coventry City 2 February 1983
12 Brighton & Hove Albion 4–0 Manchester City 29 January 1983
13 Crystal Palace 1–0 Birmingham City 29 January 1983
14 Arsenal 1–1 Leeds United 29 January 1983
Replay Leeds United 1–1 Arsenal 2 February 1983
Replay Arsenal 2–1 Leeds United 9 February 1983
15 Torquay United 2–3 Sheffield Wednesday 29 January 1983
16 Cambridge United 1–0 Barnsley 29 January 1983

Fifth round proper

The fifth set of games were all played on 19 –20 February 1983. Two replays were played on the 28th.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 1–2 Brighton & Hove Albion 20 February 1983
2 Aston Villa 4–1 Watford 19 February 1983
3 Middlesbrough 1–1 Arsenal 19 February 1983
Replay Arsenal 3–2 Middlesbrough 28 February 1983
4 Derby County 0–1 Manchester United 19 February 1983
5 Everton 2–0 Tottenham Hotspur 19 February 1983
6 Norwich City 1–0 Ipswich Town 19 February 1983
7 Crystal Palace 0–0 Burnley 19 February 1983
Replay Burnley 1–0 Crystal Palace 28 February 1983
8 Cambridge United 1–2 Sheffield Wednesday 19 February 1983

Sixth round proper

The sixth round of FA Cup games were played on 12 March 1983 with a replay on the 16th.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Burnley 1–1 Sheffield Wednesday 12 March 1983
Replay Sheffield Wednesday 5–0 Burnley 16 March 1983
2 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–0 Norwich City 12 March 1983
3 Manchester United 1–0 Everton 12 March 1983
4 Arsenal 2–0 Aston Villa 12 March 1983

Semi finals

Brighton & Hove Albion2–1Sheffield Wednesday
Manchester United2–1Arsenal


Manchester United2 – 2Brighton & Hove Albion
Stapleton Goal 55'
Wilkins Goal 72'
Smith Goal 14'
Stevens Goal 87'
Man United


Manchester United4 – 0Brighton & Hove Albion
Robson Goal 25' Goal 44'
Whiteside Goal 30'
Mühren Goal 62' (pen.)
Man United

TV Coverage

The right to show FA Cup games were, as with Football League matches, shared between the BBC and ITV network. All games were shown in a highlights format, except the Final, which was shown live both on BBC1 & ITV. The BBC football highlights programme Match Of The Day would show up to three games and the various ITV regional network stations would cover up to one game and show highlights from other games covered elsewhere on the ITV network. The BBC showed brief highlights of two FA Cup games from rounds One & Two after League highlights games. ITV did not shown highlights of games from rounds One and Two. Highlights of replays would be shown on either the BBC or ITV. First Round BBC Blackpool v Horwich RMI Second Round BBC Boston United v Sheffield United Third Round BBC Manchester united v West Ham United, Northampton Town v Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton, Newcastle United v Brighton & Hove Albion (Midweek replay), Manchester City v Sunderland (Midweek replay), ITV Derby County v Nottingham Forest (Central), Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town (LWT & Anglia), Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool (Granada), Sunderland v Manchester City (Tyne-Tees) Fourth Round BBC Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers, Watford v Fulham, Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester City ITV Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion (LWT & Central), Luton Town v Manchester United (Anglia), Middlesbrough v Notts County (Tyne-Tees), Liverpool v Stoke City (Granada), Leeds United v Arsenal (Midweek replay All regions), Norwich City v Coventry City (Midweek replay All regions)Fifth Round BBC Norwich City v Ipswich Town, Crystal Palace v Burnley, Derby County v Manchester United ITV Aston Villa v Watford (Central & LWT), Everton v Tottenham Hotspur (Granada), Middlesbrough v Arsenal (Tyne-Tees), Cambridge United v Sheffield Wednesday (Anglia & Yorkshire) Sixth Round BBCArsenal v Aston Villa, Burnley v Sheffield Wednesday ITV Manchester United v Everton (Granada & LWT), Brighton & Hove Albion v Norwich City (TVS & Anglia) All regions showed those two games FA Cup Semi-Finals BBC Arsenal v Manchester United ITV Brighton & Hove Albion v Sheffield Wednesday (All regions) FA Cup Final Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester United. Both games showed live on BBC and ITV (All Regions)

External links

1982–83 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1982–83 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 80th in the Football League and their 48th in the First Division. After five wins and a draw from the last six league games, and needing to win their last game, away at Southampton, to ensure safety, they finished in 17th position in the 22-team division. They entered the 1982–83 FA Cup in the third round proper and lost to Crystal Palace in the fourth, and were eliminated by Burnley in the fourth round of the League Cup.

Thirty players appeared in at least one first-team game, and Noel Blake made most appearances, with 44 of the possible 49. There were 19 different goalscorers; Mick Ferguson was the club's leading scorer with eight goals, all scored in the league.

1982–83 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1982–83 is the 102nd season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualifying rounds. The 28 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1983 FA Charity Shield

The 1983 FA Charity Shield was the 61st FA Charity Shield, an annual football match played between the winners of the previous season's First Division and FA Cup competitions. The match was played on 20 August 1983 at Wembley Stadium and contested by Liverpool, who had won the 1982–83 First Division, and Manchester United, who had won the 1982–83 FA Cup. Manchester United won 2–0 with a brace from captain Bryan Robson. It was Liverpool's first competitive game under the management of Joe Fagan, who had been promoted from the coaching staff to replace the retiring Bob Paisley.

1983 FA Cup Final

The 1983 FA Cup Final was contested by Manchester United and Brighton & Hove Albion at Wembley Stadium.

Manchester United were the favourites, as Brighton had been relegated from the First Division that season, and had never reached a cup final before. United had finished third in the league that season and already had four FA Cup victories to their name.

The final ended in a 2–2 draw, forcing a replay at Wembley five days later, which Manchester United won 4–0.

Fareham Town F.C.

Fareham Town F.C. is a football club based in Fareham, Hampshire, England. The club is affiliated to the Hampshire Football Association, and is an FA Charter Standard club. They play in the Wessex League Premier Division.

George Torrance (footballer)

George Clark Torrance (born 17 September 1957) is a Scottish retired professional footballer, who played as a left midfielder. He played in the Football League with Brentford.

Graham Taylor

Graham Taylor, OBE (15 September 1944 – 12 January 2017) was an English football player, manager, pundit and chairman of Watford Football Club. He was the manager of the England national football team from 1990 to 1993, and also managed Lincoln City, Watford, Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Born in Worksop, Nottinghamshire, Taylor grew up in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, which he regarded as his hometown. The son of a sports journalist who worked on the Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph, Taylor found his love of football in the stands of the Old Show Ground watching Scunthorpe United. He became a player, playing at full back for Grimsby Town and Lincoln City.

After retiring as a player through injury in 1972, Taylor became a manager and coach. He won the Fourth Division title with Lincoln in 1976, before moving to Watford in 1977. He took Watford from the Fourth Division to the First in five years. Under Taylor, Watford were First Division runners-up in 1982–83, and FA Cup finalists in 1984. Taylor took over at Aston Villa in 1987, leading the club to promotion in 1988 and 2nd place in the First Division in 1989–90.

In July 1990, he became the manager of the England team. England qualified for the 1992 European Championships, but were knocked out in the group stages. Taylor resigned in November 1993, after England failed to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the United States. Taylor faced heavy criticism from fans and media during his tenure as an England manager and earned additional public interest and scrutiny when a television documentary which he had permitted to film the failed campaign from behind the scenes, An Impossible Job, aired in 1994.

Taylor returned to club management in March 1994 with Wolverhampton Wanderers. After one season at Molineux, he returned to Watford, and led the club to the Premier League in 1999 after back-to-back promotions. His last managerial role was manager of Aston Villa, to which he returned in 2002. He left at the end of the 2002–03 season. Taylor served as Watford's chairman from 2009 until 2012 where he continued to hold the position of honorary life-president. He also worked as a pundit for BBC Radio Five Live.

List of Watford F.C. managers

Watford Football Club are an English association football club, based in Watford, Hertfordshire. As of 2016, the team competes in the Premier League, the highest level of the English football league system.

Three managers, Len Goulden, Neil McBain and Malky Mackay, have taken charge of the club on two separate occasions, while Graham Taylor had three stints as manager of the club. The statistics in the following table account for the league games of each manager.

Correct as of 4 April 2019

Michael Robinson (footballer)

Michael John Robinson (born 12 July 1958) is a retired footballer who played as a striker.

He appeared in more than 300 official matches in England for five clubs, including Liverpool, and played the last three seasons of his career in Spain with Osasuna. He represented the Republic of Ireland at international level.

Robinson settled in Spain after retiring in 1989, was awarded its citizenship and went on to work as a television pundit in the following decades.

Newport County A.F.C.

Newport County Association Football Club (Welsh: Clwb Pêl-droed Sir Casnewydd) is a professional football club in Newport, South Wales. The team compete in League Two, the fourth tier of the English football league system. The club's home colours are amber shirts and black shorts. Orange has also been intermittently used as home shirt colour in its history.

Formed in 1912, the club began life in the Southern League before being invited to become founder members of the Football League Third Division in 1920. They failed re-election in 1931, but were elected back into the Football League the next year. They struggled for the next few seasons, but went on to be crowned Third Division South champions in 1938–39. World War II meant they had to wait until the 1946–47 season to take their place in the Second Division, though they were relegated at the end of the campaign. Relegated out of the Third Division in 1962, under the stewardship of Len Ashurst they secured promotion out of the Fourth Division in 1979–80 and also won the Welsh Cup for the first time during the campaign. They reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup the next year, but went on to suffer from financial difficulties in the 1980s; a double relegation cost them their Football League place by 1988 and the club went out of business in February 1989.

The club reformed but were initially unable to play at their home ground at Somerton Park, so picked up the nickname of the "Exiles". They immediately won the Hellenic League in 1989–90 and were promoted out of the Southern League Midland Division in 1994–95. Now playing at Newport Stadium, they were relegated from the Premier Division in 1997, before winning promotion out of the Midland Division again in 1998–99. Placed in the Conference South in 2004, they went on to be crowned champions in 2009–10 and after moving into Rodney Parade in 2012, they returned to the Football League following a 24-year absence after winning the Conference National play-off final in 2013.

Paul Flood

Paul Anthony Flood (born 29 June 1948) is an Irish former professional footballer who played as a forward in the English Football League for Brighton & Hove Albion. He was capped by his country at schoolboy, youth and amateur level, appeared in the League of Ireland for Drogheda and Bohemians, and later played non-league football in the Sussex area.

Phil Thompson

Philip Bernard Thompson (born 21 January 1954) is an English retired footballer, who played as a defender for Liverpool team of the 1970s and 1980s. During this time, he also represented the England national football team on 42 occasions, and captained England on six occasions. After retiring as a player, he later served Liverpool as assistant manager and, during the 2001–02 season, acted as caretaker for 6 months while manager Gérard Houllier was ill. He is currently a pundit on Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports, does on and off work as a pundit for TV 2 (Norway), and is a regular Visiting Fellow at the University of Liverpool where he teaches on the Football Industries MBA.

Raunds Town F.C.

Raunds Town F.C. is a football club based at Raunds, Northamptonshire, England. The play in the United Counties League Division One. They were FA Vase semi-finalists in 1994–95.

Rayners Lane F.C.

Rayners Lane F.C. are a football club based in Rayners Lane in the London Borough of Harrow, England. They are members of the Spartan South Midlands League Division One.

Shepshed Dynamo F.C.

Shepshed Dynamo Football Club is an English football club based in the small town of Shepshed in the north west of Leicestershire, England. Founded as Shepshed Albion towards the end of the 19th century, the team played for the majority of their early history in the Leicestershire Senior League before a series of league wins and promotions the late 1970s and early 1980s, when they were known as Shepshed Charterhouse, took them within two promotions of The Football League. The club encountered financial difficulties in 1994 and reformed under the new name in recognition of the help provided by local side Loughborough Dynamo. They currently play in the United Counties League Premier Division at the ninth tier of the English football league system.

Simon Stainrod

Simon Allan Stainrod (born 1 February 1959) is an English former footballer who played for Sheffield United, Oldham Athletic, Queens Park Rangers, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa and Stoke City. He also played in France for RC Strasbourg and FC Rouen and in Scotland for Falkirk, Dundee and Ayr United.

Terry Venables

Terence Frederick Venables (born 6 January 1943), often referred to as "El Tel ", is an English former football player and manager. During the 1960s and 70s, he played for various clubs including Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Queens Park Rangers, and gained two caps for England.

As a club manager, Venables won the Second Division championship with Crystal Palace in 1979. He reached the 1982 FA Cup Final with Queens Park Rangers and won the Second Division in 1983. With Barcelona, he won La Liga in 1985 and reached the 1986 European Cup Final. He guided Tottenham Hotspur to FA Cup victory in 1991. He also managed Middlesbrough and Leeds United. As the England national team manager from 1994 to 1996, he reached the semi-finals of the 1996 European Championships, and managed Australia from 1997 to 1998.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
198283 in European football (UEFA)
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
League cups
UEFA competitions
Non-UEFA competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.