1973–74 FA Cup

The 1973–74 FA Cup was the 93rd season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Liverpool won the competition for only the second time, beating Newcastle United 3–0 in the final at Wembley, London.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. In this season matches were allowed to be played on Sundays for the first time. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1973–74 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsSunderland
ChampionsLiverpool (2nd title)
Runners-upNewcastle United
Third placeBurnley
Fourth placeLeicester City


Round Date
Preliminary Round Saturday 1 September 1973
First Round Qualifying Saturday 15 September 1973
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 6 October 1973
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 20 October 1973
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 3 November 1973
First Round Proper Saturday 24 November 1973
Second Round Proper Saturday 15 December 1973
Third Round Proper Saturday 5 January 1974
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 26 January 1974
Fifth Round Proper Saturday 16 February 1974
Sixth Round Proper Saturday 9 March 1974
Semi-Finals Saturday 30 March 1974
Final Saturday 4 May 1974


First Round Proper

At this stage clubs from the Football League Third and Fourth Divisions joined those non-league clubs having come through the qualifying rounds. Matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 24 November 1973. Ten matches were drawn and went to replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 1–0 Telford United 24 November 1973
2 Chesterfield 0–0 Barnsley 24 November 1973
Replay Barnsley 2–1 Chesterfield 28 November 1973
3 Bournemouth 1–0 Charlton Athletic 24 November 1973
4 Banbury United 0–0 Northampton Town 24 November 1973
Replay Northampton Town 3–2 Banbury United 29 November 1973
5 Rochdale 2–0 South Shields 24 November 1973
6 Watford 1–0 Chelmsford City 24 November 1973
7 Weymouth 0–1 Merthyr Tydfil 24 November 1973
8 Reading 3–0 Slough Town 24 November 1973
9 Walsall 1–0 Swansea City 24 November 1973
10 Crewe Alexandra 0–0 Scarborough 24 November 1973
Replay Scarborough 2–1 Crewe Alexandra 28 November 1973
11 Doncaster Rovers 1–0 Lincoln City 24 November 1973
12 Wrexham 1–1 Shrewsbury Town 24 November 1973
Replay Shrewsbury Town 0–1 Wrexham 27 November 1973
13 Tranmere Rovers 2–1 Bury 24 November 1973
14 Stockport County 0–1 Port Vale 24 November 1973
15 Wycombe Wanderers 3–1 Newport County 24 November 1973
16 King's Lynn 1–0 Wimbledon 24 November 1973
17 Plymouth Argyle 2–1 Brentford 24 November 1973
18 Bradford City 2–0 Workington 24 November 1973
19 Hitchin Town 1–1 Guildford City 24 November 1973
Replay Guildford City 1–4 Hitchin Town 28 November 1973
20 Altrincham 2–0 Hartlepool 24 November 1973
21 Southend United 3–0 Boreham Wood 24 November 1973
22 Exeter City 0–1 Alvechurch 24 November 1973
23 Scunthorpe United 1–0 Darlington 24 November 1973
24 Huddersfield Town 2–0 Wigan Athletic 24 November 1973
25 Alfreton Town 0–0 Blyth Spartans 24 November 1973
Replay Blyth Spartans 2–1 Alfreton Town 28 November 1973
26 Willington 0–0 Blackburn Rovers 24 November 1973
Replay Blackburn Rovers 6–1 Willington 3 December 1973
27 Halifax Town 6–1 Frickley Colliery 24 November 1973
28 Runcorn 0–1 Grimsby Town 24 November 1973
29 York City 0–0 Mansfield Town 24 November 1973
Replay Mansfield Town 5–3 York City 10 December 1973
30 Hereford United 3–1 Torquay United 24 November 1973
31 Rotherham United 2–1 Southport 24 November 1973
32 Bideford 0–2 Bristol Rovers 24 November 1973
33 Boston United 0–0 Hayes 24 November 1973
Replay Hayes 1–2 Boston United 28 November 1973
34 Formby 0–2 Oldham Athletic 24 November 1973
35 Colchester United 2–3 Peterborough United 24 November 1973
36 Walton & Hersham 0–0 Brighton & Hove Albion 24 November 1973
Replay Brighton & Hove Albion 0–4 Walton & Hersham 28 November 1973
37 Hendon 3–0 Leytonstone 24 November 1973
38 Dagenham 0–4 Aldershot 24 November 1973
39 Cambridge United 3–2 Gillingham 24 November 1973
40 Hillingdon Borough 0–4 Grantham 24 November 1973

Second Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 15 December 1973. Five matches were drawn, with replays taking place later the same week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 3–2 Huddersfield Town 15 December 1973
2 Alvechurch 6–1 King's Lynn 15 December 1973
3 Grantham 1–1 Rochdale 15 December 1973
Replay Rochdale 3–5 Grantham 18 December 1973
4 Watford 0–1 Bournemouth 15 December 1973
5 Blackburn Rovers 0–0 Altrincham 15 December 1973
Replay Altrincham 0–2 Blackburn Rovers 19 December 1973
6 Grimsby Town 1–1 Blyth Spartans 15 December 1973
Replay Blyth Spartans 0–2 Grimsby Town 19 December 1973
7 Doncaster Rovers 3–0 Tranmere Rovers 15 December 1973
8 Wrexham 3–0 Rotherham United 15 December 1973
9 Wycombe Wanderers 1–3 Peterborough United 15 December 1973
10 Barnsley 1–1 Bradford City 15 December 1973
Replay Bradford City 2–1 Barnsley 19 December 1973
11 Northampton Town 1–2 Bristol Rovers 15 December 1973
12 Plymouth Argyle 1–0 Walsall 15 December 1973
13 Southend United 2–0 Reading 15 December 1973
14 Mansfield Town 1–1 Scunthorpe United 15 December 1973
Replay Scunthorpe United 1–0 Mansfield Town 18 December 1973
15 Port Vale 2–1 Scarborough 15 December 1973
16 Halifax Town 0–1 Oldham Athletic 15 December 1973
17 Hereford United 3–0 Walton & Hersham 15 December 1973
18 Aldershot 1–2 Cambridge United 15 December 1973
19 Boston United 1–0 Hitchin Town 15 December 1973
20 Merthyr Tydfil 0–3 Hendon 15 December 1973

Third Round Proper

The 44 First and Second Division clubs entered the competition at this stage. The matches were scheduled for the weekend of 5–6 January 1974. Thirteen matches were drawn, of which one required a second replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 1–1 Hull City 5 January 1974
Replay Hull City 0–1 Bristol City 8 January 1974
2 Grantham 0–2 Middlesbrough 5 January 1974
3 Liverpool 2–2 Doncaster Rovers 5 January 1974
Replay Doncaster Rovers 0–2 Liverpool 8 January 1974
4 Southampton 2–1 Blackpool 5 January 1974
5 Leicester City 1–0 Tottenham Hotspur 5 January 1974
6 Nottingham Forest 4–3 Bristol Rovers 6 January 1974
7 Aston Villa 3–1 Chester 5 January 1974
8 Sheffield Wednesday 0–0 Coventry City 5 January 1974
Replay Coventry City 3–1 Sheffield Wednesday 8 January 1974
9 Bolton Wanderers 3–2 Stoke City 6 January 1974
10 Grimsby Town 0–2 Burnley 5 January 1974
11 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1–1 Leeds United 5 January 1974
Replay Leeds United 1–0 Wolverhampton Wanderers 9 January 1974
12 West Bromwich Albion 4–0 Notts County 5 January 1974
13 Derby County 0–0 Boston United 5 January 1974
Replay Boston United 1–6 Derby County 9 January 1974
14 Everton 3–0 Blackburn Rovers 5 January 1974
15 Ipswich Town 3–2 Sheffield United 5 January 1974
16 Newcastle United 1–1 Hendon 5 January 1974
Replay Hendon 0–4 Newcastle United 9 January 1974
17 Fulham 1–0 Preston North End 5 January 1974
18 Portsmouth 3–3 Swindon Town 5 January 1974
Replay Swindon Town 0–1 Portsmouth 9 January 1974
19 West Ham United 1–1 Hereford United 5 January 1974
Replay Hereford United 2–1 West Ham United 9 January 1974
20 Manchester United 1–0 Plymouth Argyle 5 January 1974
21 Norwich City 0–1 Arsenal 5 January 1974
22 Bradford City 4–2 Alvechurch 6 January 1974
23 Millwall 1–1 Scunthorpe United 5 January 1974
Replay Scunthorpe United 1–0 Millwall 8 January 1974
24 Carlisle United 0–0 Sunderland 5 January 1974
Replay Sunderland 0–1 Carlisle United 9 January 1974
25 Crystal Palace 0–2 Wrexham 5 January 1974
26 Chelsea 0–0 Queens Park Rangers 5 January 1974
Replay Queens Park Rangers 1–0 Chelsea 15 January 1974
27 Port Vale 1–1 Luton Town 5 January 1974
Replay Luton Town 4–2 Port Vale 9 January 1974
28 Peterborough United 3–1 Southend United 5 January 1974
29 Birmingham City 5–2 Cardiff City 5 January 1974
30 Cambridge United 2–2 Oldham Athletic 6 January 1974
Replay Oldham Athletic 3–3 Cambridge United 8 January 1974
Replay Cambridge United 1–2 Oldham Athletic 14 January 1974
31 Oxford United 2–5 Manchester City 5 January 1974
32 Orient 2–1 Bournemouth 5 January 1974

Fourth Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 26 January 1974. Four matches were, however, played the day after. Eight matches were drawn, of which one, the tie between Portsmouth and Leyton Orient, required a second replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 0–0 Carlisle United 26 January 1974
Replay Carlisle United 0–2 Liverpool 29 January 1974
2 Southampton 3–3 Bolton Wanderers 26 January 1974
Replay Bolton Wanderers 0–2 Southampton 30 January 1974
3 Nottingham Forest 4–1 Manchester City 27 January 1974
4 Luton Town 3–0 Bradford City 26 January 1974
5 Everton 0–0 West Bromwich Albion 27 January 1974
Replay West Bromwich Albion 1–0 Everton 30 January 1974
6 Wrexham 1–0 Middlesbrough 26 January 1974
7 Newcastle United 1–1 Scunthorpe United 26 January 1974
Replay Scunthorpe United 0–3 Newcastle United 30 January 1974
8 Queens Park Rangers 2–0 Birmingham City 26 January 1974
9 Fulham 1–1 Leicester City 26 January 1974
Replay Leicester City 2–1 Fulham 30 January 1974
10 Coventry City 0–0 Derby County 27 January 1974
Replay Derby County 0–1 Coventry City 30 January 1974
11 Portsmouth 0–0 Orient 27 January 1974
Replay Orient 1–1 Portsmouth 29 January 1974
Replay Portsmouth 2–0 Orient 5 February 1974
12 Manchester United 0–1 Ipswich Town 26 January 1974
13 Oldham Athletic 1–4 Burnley 26 January 1974
14 Arsenal 1–1 Aston Villa 26 January 1974
Replay Aston Villa 2–0 Arsenal 30 January 1974
15 Hereford United 0–1 Bristol City 26 January 1974
16 Peterborough United 1–4 Leeds United 26 January 1974

Fifth Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 16 February 1974 with one taking place the day after. Two matches were drawn and went to replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 1–1 Leeds United 16 February 1974
Replay Leeds United 0–1 Bristol City 19 February 1974
2 Burnley 1–0 Aston Villa 16 February 1974
3 Liverpool 2–0 Ipswich Town 16 February 1974
4 Southampton 0–1 Wrexham 16 February 1974
5 Nottingham Forest 1–0 Portsmouth 17 February 1974
6 West Bromwich Albion 0–3 Newcastle United 16 February 1974
7 Luton Town 0–4 Leicester City 16 February 1974
8 Coventry City 0–0 Queens Park Rangers 16 February 1974
Replay Queens Park Rangers 3–2 Coventry City 19 February 1974

Sixth Round Proper

The four quarter-final ties were played on 9 March 1974.

Newcastle United riot

The first Newcastle United–Nottingham Forest game was won 4–3 by Newcastle. However, early in the second half Nottingham Forest went 3–1 up from a penalty awarded by the referee, Gordon Kew. In awarding the penalty, a Newcastle player was sent off. The Newcastle United fans in the Leazes End of the ground (now the Sir John Hall stand) were renowned for their volatility, and invaded the pitch. Two Nottingham Forest players were injured in the debacle, but the referee waited until all players were recovered and received the permission of both managers to continue the tie before restarting it. Newcastle United managed to come back and win in spite of the two-goal and one-player deficit.[1] Up to 23 people were taken to hospital as a result of the pitch invasion, of whom two had fractured skulls; another 103 people were treated at the ground and 39 arrests were made.[2]

Following the riot, a written protest was sent from Nottingham Forest to the FA on 11 March. In response, the secretary of the FA, Ted Croker, announced that a special four-man subcommittee of the Challenge Cup Committee who oversee the FA Cup competition were to investigate the incident with an eye to disqualifying Newcastle United, stating, "Newcastle could be disqualified. We do not have the power to order a replay as the game was completed."[2] On 14 March the subcommittee ruled that, in spite of Mr. Croker's comments, the match was to be replayed, at a neutral venue on Monday 18 March. If that match was drawn then extra time would be played and, if needed, a second match also at a neutral venue would be played the following Thursday. This decision was unprecedented at the time and the reaction was mixed, with Newcastle defender Frank Clark suggesting that Newcastle's comeback from two goals down and with a player sent off should have allowed them to go through outright. The Nottingham Forest captain stated, "we would have won it fair and square but for the trouble."[3]

The first replay at Goodison Park was a nervous 0–0 draw and stayed so after extra time.[4] Newcastle finally won the tie through a single Macdonald goal in the second replay at Goodison Park.[5]


Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Bristol City 0–1 Liverpool 9 March 1974
2 Burnley 1–0 Wrexham 9 March 1974
3 Newcastle United 4–3
(Match void)
Nottingham Forest 9 March 1974
Replay Newcastle United 0–0 Nottingham Forest 18 March 1974
Replay Newcastle United 1–0 Nottingham Forest 21 March 1974
4 Queens Park Rangers 0–2 Leicester City 9 March 1974


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 30 March 1974 with the Liverpool–Leicester City game being replayed four days later. Liverpool and Newcastle United won their respective matches to go on to the final at Wembley.

Liverpool0–0Leicester City
Newcastle United2–0Burnley
Macdonald Goal 65, 75' Report


Leicester City1–3Liverpool
Glover Goal 49' Report Hall Goal 46'
Keegan Goal 61'
Toshack Goal 86'

Third place playoff

Between 1970 and 1974, a third place playoff between the two losing semi-finalists was held.[6]

Leicester City0–1Burnley
Hankin Goal


The final took place on Saturday, 4 May 1974 at Wembley and ended in a victory for Liverpool over Newcastle United by three goals to nil. Two goals were scored by Kevin Keegan and one by Steve Heighway. The attendance was 100,000.

Liverpool3 – 0Newcastle United
Keegan Goal 57, 88'
Heighway Goal 74'

TV Coverage

The right to show FA Cup games were, as with Football League matches, shared between the BBC and ITV network. All games were shown in a highlights format, except the Final, which was shown live both on BBC1 & ITV. The BBC football highlights programme Match Of The Day would show up to three games and the various ITV regional network stations would cover up to one game and show highlights from other games covered elsewhere on the ITV network. No games from Rounds 1 or 2 were shown. Burnley banned TV Coverage of the Quarter-Final tie v Wrexham which was due to be shown on BBC MOTD, they showed a League game instead between Derby County v West Ham United as well as the Queens Park Rangers v Leicester Quarter-Final. Burnley and Chairman Bob Lord also tried to stop the Semi-Final being covered by ITV but couldn't as the game was played at neutral Sheffield Wednesday. Third Round BBC Wolverhampton Wanderers v Leeds United, West Ham United v Hereford United, Manchester United v Plymouth Argyle, Hendon v Newcastle United (Midweek-replay played in the Afternoon at Watford), Hereford United v West Ham United (Midweek replay played in the afternoon) ITV Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers (LWT), Everton v Blackburn Rovers (Granada), Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur ATV), Sheffield Wednesday v Coventry City (Yorkshire), Newcastle United v Hendon (Tyne-Tees), Peterborough United v Southend United (Anglia) Fourth Round BBC Queens Park Rangers v Birmingham City, Fulham v Leicester City, Manchester United v Ipswich Town ITV Arsenal v Aston Villa (LWT & ATV), Peterborough United v Leeds United (Anglia Yorkshire),Liverpool v Carlisle United (Granada), Newcastle United v Scunthorpe United (Tyne-Tees), Aston Villa v Arsenal(Midweek-replay played in the afternoon shown in all regions) Fifth Round BBC Bristol City v Leeds United, West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle United, Liverpool v Ipswich Town ITV Luton Town v Leicester City (LWT & Anglia), Southampton v Wrexham (Southern & HTV), Coventry City v Queens Park Rangers (ATV), Leeds United v Bristol City ((Midweek-replay played in the afternoon shown in all regions) Sixth Round BBC Queens Park Rangers v Leicester City ITV Bristol City v Liverpool (LWT Coverage outside region on two non London teams), Newcastle United v Nottingham Forest (Tyne-Tees & ATV) Newcastle United v Nottingham Forest (Midweek rematch & replay shown in all regions) Semi-Finals BBC Leicester City v Liverpool, Leicester City v Liverpool (Midweek replay), ITV Burnley v Newcastle United (All ITV Regions)Final Liverpool v Newcastle United Shown Live on BBC & ITV.


  1. ^ Times Online Archive, "Glorious and Shameful Game at Newcastle" (Requires registration)
  2. ^ a b Times Online Archive, "FA Laws or the law of averages may stop Newcastle United in Cup" (Requires registration)
  3. ^ Times Online Archive, "Decision to replay tie could invite crowds to influence results." (Requires registration)
  4. ^ Times Online Archive, "The game that lived on its nerves" (Requires registration)
  5. ^ Times Online Archive, "Newcastle score a deserved victory" (Requires registration)
  6. ^ The annual ENGLAND v YOUNG ENGLAND fixture is replaced by an F.A. Cup match - the 3rd and 4th Place Play-Off., Football Site.
1973–74 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1973–74 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 71st in the Football League and their 40th in the First Division. After spending most of the season in the relegation positions, they finished in 19th place in the 22-team division, avoiding relegation by just one point. They entered the 1973–74 FA Cup at the third round proper and lost to Queens Park Rangers in the fourth, and were eliminated from the League Cup in the fifth round by Plymouth Argyle. They lost in the second round of the Texaco Cup on aggregate, after the first attempt to play the second leg of their match against Newcastle United had to be abandoned after 100 minutes when it became too dark to play.

Thirty players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were twelve different goalscorers. Forward Bob Hatton played in 51 of the 54 first-team matches over the season, and the leading goalscorer was Hatton with 20 goals, of which 14 came in league competition.

In February 1974, by which time he had already scored 18 goals for Birmingham, centre-forward Bob Latchford signed for Everton in part-exchange for Howard Kendall, Archie Styles, and £80,000. The whole package was valued at a British record transfer fee of £350,000.

1973–74 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1973–74 is the 93rd season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualifying rounds. The 30 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1974 FA Charity Shield

The 1974 FA Charity Shield was the 52nd FA Charity Shield, an annual English association football match played between the winners of the previous season's Football League First Division and FA Cup. The match was contested by Leeds United, the champions of the 1973–74 Football League First Division, and Liverpool, the 1973–74 FA Cup winners. It was held at Wembley Stadium on 10 August 1974. Watched by a crowd of 67,000 and televised (although not live as has often been claimed), the match ended in a 1–1 draw and was decided by a penalty shoot-out which was won 6–5 by Liverpool.The game was the first in which Bob Paisley and Brian Clough managed Liverpool and Leeds respectively. In recognition of his services to the club, Liverpool asked their retired manager Bill Shankly to lead the team out onto the field.

The match is mostly remembered for Billy Bremner and Kevin Keegan being jointly dismissed from the field by referee Bob Matthewson in the 60th minute after they had a fight. Keegan, who claimed provocation, was furious about being sent off and threw his shirt away. Bremner copied him and the two players were afterwards charged with bringing football into disrepute. The FA Disciplinary Committee imposed tough punishments but were themselves heavily criticised by people in football who doubted their competence.

1974 FA Cup Final

The 1974 FA Cup Final was an association football match between Liverpool and Newcastle United on Saturday, 4 May 1974 at Wembley Stadium, London. It was the final match of the 1973–74 FA Cup, the 93rd season of England's primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, better known as the FA Cup. Liverpool were appearing in their fifth final and Newcastle in their eleventh, which was a record at the time. Liverpool had won the FA Cup once, in 1965, and Newcastle six times, most recently in 1955.

Both teams entered the competition in the third round. Liverpool and Newcastle had scares in the third and fourth rounds, in all cases drawing home ties against much smaller clubs and then winning the replays. Both had good wins in the fifth round and Liverpool won away in the sixth (quarter-final) round. Newcastle's sixth round home tie against Nottingham Forest was declared void after a riot on the field by Newcastle fans when their team was losing 1–3. The game was delayed until order was restored and Newcastle won it 4–3. Forest made a written protest to the Football Association (the FA) and Newcastle were very close to being disqualified from the competition. The FA relented and ordered that the match must be replayed at a neutral venue. Two replays were needed before Newcastle won through. In the semi-finals, Newcastle defeated Burnley 2–0 at Hillsborough and Liverpool defeated Leicester City 3–1 in a replay at Villa Park, following a 0–0 draw at Old Trafford.

The final, televised live, was watched by a crowd of 100,000 and Liverpool won a one-sided match 3–0 with goals from Kevin Keegan (2) and Steve Heighway. After the third goal, BBC commentator David Coleman said that Newcastle's defence had been "stripped naked" by Liverpool. When the score was 0–0, Liverpool left back Alec Lindsay had a goal disallowed for offside, but replays later showed that the final pass to Lindsay came from a Newcastle defender and therefore the goal should have stood. Liverpool won the FA Cup for the second time.

The team managers Bill Shankly (Liverpool) and Joe Harvey (Newcastle) sat next to each other all through the match. It was Shankly's last game in charge of Liverpool as he retired in July and was succeeded by coach Bob Paisley – though Shankly led the team out for the Charity Shield match in August. Harvey retired at the end of the 1974–75 season. Two Newcastle players, Terry McDermott and Alan Kennedy, became Liverpool players in later years and both scored goals for Liverpool in European Cup finals. Kevin Keegan joined Newcastle as a player in 1982 and was their manager in the 1990s.

Billy Bremner

William John Bremner (9 December 1942 – 7 December 1997) was a Scottish professional footballer and manager known for his strength, skills and compact constitution. A midfielder, he played for Leeds United from 1959 to 1976, and captained the side during this time, which was the most successful period of the club's history.

At Leeds, he won the First Division (1968–69 and 1973–74), Second Division (1963–64), Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (1968 and 1971), FA Cup (1972), League Cup (1968), and Charity Shield (1969). The club also finished second in numerous competitions, doing so in the league five times and ending as runners-up in seven cup finals, including the 1975 European Cup. He was also named as the FWA Footballer of the Year in 1970 and was listed on the PFA Team of the Year in 1973–74. He has since been voted Leeds United's greatest player of all time and has a statue outside the South East corner of Elland Road. He has also been included in the Football League 100 Legends and is a member of both the English Football Hall of Fame and Scottish Football Hall of Fame.

He spent 1976 to 1978 at Hull City, before being appointed player-manager at Doncaster Rovers in November 1978. He spent seven years at the helm, guiding the club to promotion out of the Fourth Division in 1980–81 and 1983–84, before he took on the manager's job at Leeds United in October 1985. He could not get the club promoted back into the top-flight and left the club in September 1988. He returned to Doncaster in July 1989, ending his second spell in charge in November 1991.

He is on the Scotland national football team roll of honour for having won more than 50 caps for Scotland. He captained his country at the 1974 FIFA World Cup, where Scotland failed to advance from the group stage despite going unbeaten in the competition.

Brian Hall (footballer, born 1946)

Brian Hall (22 November 1946 – 16 July 2015) was a Scottish footballer who played as a Midfielder. He won six domestic and UEFA trophies with Liverpool in the 1970s. He then played for Plymouth Argyle and Burnley.

Clanfield F.C.

Clanfield F.C. is an association football club in Clanfield, near Carterton, England. The club is affiliated to the Oxfordshire County Football Association The club competes in the Hellenic League Division One West, and the club's development XI in Division Two West.

It should not be confused with Clanfield (Hampshire) F.C. which plays in the Hampshire Premier League.

Dave Rylands

Dave Rylands (born 5 March 1953) is an English former footballer who played as a defender. Rylands started his career at Liverpool signing professional terms with the club when he was 17 years old in 1970. Rylands only made one appearance for liverpool; he played in their 2–0 victory over Doncaster Rovers in the 1973–74 FA Cup.

Don Revie

Donald George Revie OBE (10 July 1927 – 26 May 1989) was an England international footballer and manager, best known for his successful spell with Leeds United from 1961 until 1974 which preceded his appointment as England manager.

A forward, he began his career with Leicester City in August 1944, before a £19,000 move to Hull City in November 1949. He was sold on to Manchester City in October 1951 for a fee of £25,000, where he became the main focus of the "Revie Plan" which saw him named as FWA Footballer of the Year in 1954–55 after innovating the role of the first deep-lying centre forward in England. He won the FA Cup in 1956, having finished on the losing side in the 1955 final. He was bought by Sunderland for £22,000 in October 1956, before moving on to Leeds United in November 1958 for a £14,000 fee. In total he scored 108 goals in 501 league and cup appearances in an 18-year professional career, also scoring four goals in six England appearances as well as winning representative honours for the Football League XI and the England B team.

In March 1961, Revie was appointed player-manager of Leeds United, then a Second Division club who had never previously won a major trophy. Under Revie's management, Leeds became a major force in English football, winning the Second Division in 1963–64, the First Division in 1968–69 and 1973–74, the FA Cup in 1972, the League Cup in 1968, the FA Charity Shield in 1969, and the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1968 and 1971. Additionally, Leeds were First Division runners-up five times, twice FA Cup runners-up and runners-up in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the European Cup Winners' Cup. In July 1974 he accepted the job as England manager, but had an unsuccessful three years in the role before quitting in highly controversial circumstances to take up the management role with the United Arab Emirates. He later had spells in Middle Eastern club football with Al-Nasr and Al-Ahly.

As Leeds manager he was criticised for the physical and often negative approach of his teams, though the period was noted for its highly physical football across the country. His resignation as England manager fuelled criticism of him as money-obsessed, and unproven allegations of bribery and financial misconduct also tarnished his reputation. He retired in 1984, but was diagnosed with motor neuron disease in May 1987, which led to his death two years later. He remains a highly popular figure in Leeds, and has a stand named after him at Elland Road as well as a statue outside the ground.

FA Cup Third-fourth place matches

The FA Cup Third-fourth place matches were played to determine the order of third and fourth place in the FA Cup. They were introduced in 1970 replacing the traditional pre-final match between England and Young England. They were generally unpopular and were only played for five seasons. The 1972 and 1973 matches were played at the start of the following season and the 1974 match five days after the final. The 1972 match was the first FA Cup match to be decided on penalties.

Formby F.C.

Formby F.C. was an English football club based in Formby, Merseyside. They last played in the North West Counties Football League Premier Division in 2013–14 and were members of the Liverpool County Football Association.

Grantham Town F.C.

Grantham Town Football Club is a football club, based in Grantham, Lincolnshire, England. They are currently members of the Northern Premier League Premier Division and play at the South Kesteven Sports Stadium.

History of Leeds United F.C.

The history of Leeds United Football Club is an article about a professional association football club based in the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The club was established in 1919, following the demise of Leeds City F.C.

Leeds had their most successful period under the management of Don Revie in the 1960s and 1970s. The club won the English league title twice, the FA Cup once, the League Cup once and the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup twice. They were also finalists in the European Cup Winners Cup in 1973 and the European Cup in 1975. Leeds later won another league title in 1991–92 under manager Howard Wilkinson.

Malcolm Macdonald

Malcolm Ian Macdonald (born 7 January 1950) is an English former professional footballer, manager and media figure. Nicknamed 'Supermac', Macdonald was a quick, powerfully built prolific goalscorer. He played for Fulham, Luton Town, Newcastle United, Arsenal and the England national football team. Macdonald is Newcastle United's fifth highest goalscorer of all time. He also won England's Golden Boot with Newcastle in 1975 and with Arsenal in 1977.

Ware F.C.

Ware F.C. is a football club established in 1892 and based at Wodson Park in Ware, Hertfordshire, England, currently members of the Isthmian League South Central Division.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
197374 in European football (UEFA)
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
League cups
UEFA competitions
Non-UEFA competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.