1970–71 FA Cup

The 1970–71 FA Cup was the 90th season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. First Division champions Arsenal won the competition for the fourth time, beating Liverpool 2–1 in the final at Wembley. In doing so, Arsenal were the fourth team to complete a double of League and Cup victories, following Preston North End, Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1970–71 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsChelsea
ChampionsArsenal (4th title)
Third placeStoke City
Fourth placeEverton


Round Date
Preliminary Round Saturday 5 September 1970
First Round Qualifying Saturday 19 September 1970
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 10 October 1970
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 24 October 1970
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 7 November 1970
First Round Proper Saturday 21 November 1970
Second Round Proper Saturday 12 December 1970
Third Round Proper Saturday 2 January 1971
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 23 January 1971
Fifth Round Proper Saturday 13 February 1971
Sixth Round Proper Saturday 6 March 1971
Semi-Finals Saturday 27 March 1971
Final Saturday 8 May 1971


First Round Proper

At this stage clubs from the Football League Third and Fourth Divisions joined those non-league clubs having come through the qualifying rounds. Matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 21 November 1970, with the exception of the Great Harwood–Rotherham United match, which was played the following Tuesday. Nine matches were drawn, of which one went to a second replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Enfield 0–1 Cambridge United 21 November 1970
2 Chesterfield 2–0 Halifax Town 21 November 1970
3 Darlington 5–1 Bangor City 21 November 1970
4 Barnet 6–1 Newport County 21 November 1970
5 Grantham 2–1 Stockport County 21 November 1970
6 Preston North End 1–1 Chester 21 November 1970
Replay Chester 1–0 Preston North End 25 November 1970
7 Rochdale 2–0 Oldham Athletic 21 November 1970
8 Yeovil Town 1–0 Aveley 21 November 1970
9 Reading 6–1 Bishop's Stortford 21 November 1970
10 Walsall 3–0 Plymouth Argyle 21 November 1970
11 Notts County 1–0 Port Vale 21 November 1970
12 Grimsby Town 0–1 Bury 21 November 1970
13 Crewe Alexandra 0–0 Doncaster Rovers 21 November 1970
Replay Doncaster Rovers 1–3 Crewe Alexandra 24 November 1970
14 Lincoln City 2–1 Barrow 21 November 1970
15 Scarborough 2–3 Workington 21 November 1970
16 Tranmere Rovers 1–1 Scunthorpe United 21 November 1970
Replay Scunthorpe United 0–0 Tranmere Rovers 24 November 1970
Replay Tranmere Rovers 0–1 Scunthorpe United 30 November 1970
17 Wycombe Wanderers 1–1 Slough Town 21 November 1970
Replay Slough Town 1–0 Wycombe Wanderers 25 November 1970
18 Oxford City 1–1 Bournemouth 21 November 1970
Replay Bournemouth 8–1 Oxford City 25 November 1970
19 Fulham 1–2 Bristol Rovers 21 November 1970
20 Barnsley 1–0 Bradford Park Avenue 21 November 1970
21 Brentford 2–1 Gillingham 21 November 1970
22 Great Harwood 2–6 Rotherham United 24 November 1970
23 Brighton & Hove Albion 4–0 Cheltenham Town 21 November 1970
24 Rhyl 1–0 Hartlepool 21 November 1970
25 Bradford City 3–2 Macclesfield Town 21 November 1970
26 Southend United 7–0 Weymouth 21 November 1970
27 Mansfield Town 2–0 Wrexham 21 November 1970
28 Minehead 1–2 Shrewsbury Town 21 November 1970
29 Southport 0–2 Boston United 21 November 1970
30 Torquay United 3–1 Aston Villa 21 November 1970
31 Hereford United 2–2 Northampton Town 21 November 1970
Replay Northampton Town 1–2 Hereford United 24 November 1970
32 Tamworth 0–0 York City 21 November 1970
Replay York City 5–0 Tamworth 23 November 1970
33 Peterborough United 3–1 Wimbledon 21 November 1970
34 South Shields 1–1 Wigan Athletic 21 November 1970
Replay Wigan Athletic 2–0 South Shields 23 November 1970
35 Colchester United 3–0 Ringmer 21 November 1970
36 Walton & Hersham 2–5 Telford United 21 November 1970
37 Hendon 0–2 Aldershot 21 November 1970
38 Dagenham 2–0 Margate 21 November 1970
39 Crawley Town 1–1 Chelmsford City 21 November 1970
Replay Chelmsford City 6–1 Crawley Town 23 November 1970
40 Swansea City 4–1 Exeter City 21 November 1970

Second Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 12 December 1970. Six matches were drawn, with replays taking place later the same week or the week after. The Lincoln City–Bradford City match required a second replay, which was played on the 21 December.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 1–0 Crewe Alexandra 12 December 1970
2 Chesterfield 0–0 Workington 12 December 1970
Replay Workington 3–2 Chesterfield 16 December 1970
3 Darlington 0–2 Rochdale 12 December 1970
4 Bournemouth 0–1 Yeovil Town 12 December 1970
5 Bury 1–1 Notts County 12 December 1970
Replay Notts County 3–0 Bury 21 December 1970
6 Grantham 1–4 Rotherham United 12 December 1970
7 Lincoln City 2–2 Bradford City 12 December 1970
Replay Bradford City 2–2 Lincoln City 16 December 1970
Replay Lincoln City 4–1 Bradford City 21 December 1970
8 Shrewsbury Town 2–2 Reading 12 December 1970
Replay Reading 1–0 Shrewsbury Town 21 December 1970
9 Brentford 1–0 Walsall 12 December 1970
10 Rhyl 0–0 Barnsley 12 December 1970
Replay Barnsley 1–1 Rhyl 15 December 1970
Replay Rhyl 2–0 Barnsley 21 December 1970
11 Southend United 1–0 Dagenham 12 December 1970
12 Scunthorpe United 3–0 Mansfield Town 12 December 1970
13 Hereford United 1–2 Brighton & Hove Albion 12 December 1970
14 Aldershot 1–1 Bristol Rovers 12 December 1970
Replay Bristol Rovers 1–3 Aldershot 15 December 1970
15 Wigan Athletic 2–1 Peterborough United 12 December 1970
16 Boston United 1–2 York City 12 December 1970
17 Colchester United 3–0 Cambridge United 12 December 1970
18 Chelmsford City 0–1 Torquay United 12 December 1970
19 Slough Town 0–1 Barnet 12 December 1970
20 Swansea City 6–2 Telford United 12 December 1970

Third Round Proper

The 44 First and Second Division clubs entered the competition at this stage. The matches were scheduled Saturday, 2 January 1971, but ten were played at later dates. Seven matches were drawn and went to replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Blackpool 4–0 West Ham United 2 January 1971
2 Chester 1–2 Derby County 2 January 1971
3 Barnet 0–1 Colchester United 5 January 1971
4 Liverpool 1–0 Aldershot 2 January 1971
5 Rochdale 2–1 Coventry City 11 January 1971
6 Southampton 3–0 Bristol City 11 January 1971
7 Watford 5–0 Reading 6 January 1971
8 Yeovil Town 0–3 Arsenal 6 January 1971
9 Leicester City 2–0 Notts County 2 January 1971
10 Nottingham Forest 1–1 Luton Town 2 January 1971
Replay Luton Town 3–4 Nottingham Forest 11 January 1971
11 Wolverhampton Wanderers 5–1 Norwich City 2 January 1971
12 West Bromwich Albion 0–0 Scunthorpe United 2 January 1971
Replay Scunthorpe United 1–3 West Bromwich Albion 11 January 1971
13 Sunderland 0–3 Orient 11 January 1971
14 Everton 2–0 Blackburn Rovers 2 January 1971
15 Newcastle United 1–1 Ipswich Town 11 January 1971
Replay Ipswich Town 2–1 Newcastle United 13 January 1971
16 Tottenham Hotspur 4–1 Sheffield Wednesday 2 January 1971
17 Manchester City 1–0 Wigan Athletic 2 January 1971
18 Queens Park Rangers 1–2 Swindon Town 2 January 1971
19 Portsmouth 2–0 Sheffield United 2 January 1971
20 Manchester United 0–0 Middlesbrough 2 January 1971
Replay Middlesbrough 2–1 Manchester United 5 January 1971
21 Hull City 3–0 Charlton Athletic 2 January 1971
22 Crystal Palace 2–2 Chelsea 2 January 1971
Replay Chelsea 2–0 Crystal Palace 6 January 1971
23 Southend United 0–3 Carlisle United 11 January 1971
24 Huddersfield Town 1–1 Birmingham City 2 January 1971
Replay Birmingham City 0–2 Huddersfield Town 5 January 1971
25 Cardiff City 1–0 Brighton & Hove Albion 2 January 1971
26 Torquay United 4–3 Lincoln City 2 January 1971
27 Workington 0–1 Brentford 2 January 1971
28 York City 2–0 Bolton Wanderers 2 January 1971
29 Stoke City 2–1 Millwall 2 January 1971
30 Rotherham United 0–0 Leeds United 11 January 1971
Replay Leeds United 3–2 Rotherham United 18 January 1971
31 Oxford United 3–0 Burnley 11 January 1971
32 Swansea City 6–1 Rhyl 2 January 1971

Fourth Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 23 January 1971. Seven matches were drawn, of which one required a second replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 3–0 Swansea City 23 January 1971
2 Rochdale 3–3 Colchester United 23 January 1971
Replay Colchester United 5–0 Rochdale 25 January 1971
3 Leicester City 3–0 Torquay United 25 January 1971
4 Nottingham Forest 1–1 Orient 23 January 1971
Replay Orient 0–1 Nottingham Forest 1 February 1971
5 West Bromwich Albion 1–1 Ipswich Town 23 January 1971
Replay Ipswich Town 3–0 West Bromwich Albion 26 January 1971
6 Derby County 2–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 23 January 1971
7 Everton 3–0 Middlesbrough 23 January 1971
8 Portsmouth 1–1 Arsenal 23 January 1971
Replay Arsenal 3–2 Portsmouth 1 February 1971
9 Hull City 2–0 Blackpool 23 January 1971
10 Carlisle United 2–3 Tottenham Hotspur 23 January 1971
11 Chelsea 0–3 Manchester City 23 January 1971
12 Cardiff City 0–2 Brentford 23 January 1971
13 Leeds United 4–0 Swindon Town 23 January 1971
14 York City 3–3 Southampton 23 January 1971
Replay Southampton 3–2 York City 1 February 1971
15 Stoke City 3–3 Huddersfield Town 23 January 1971
Replay Huddersfield Town 0–0 Stoke City 26 January 1971
Replay Stoke City 1–0 Huddersfield Town 8 February 1971
16 Oxford United 1–1 Watford 23 January 1971
Replay Watford 1–2 Oxford United 27 January 1971

Fifth Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 13 February 1971 with one fixture and two replays played three or four days later.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 1–0 Southampton 13 February 1971
2 Leicester City 1–1 Oxford United 13 February 1971
Replay Oxford United 1–3 Leicester City 17 February 1971
3 Everton 1–0 Derby County 13 February 1971
4 Tottenham Hotspur 2–1 Nottingham Forest 13 February 1971
5 Manchester City 1–2 Arsenal 17 February 1971
6 Hull City 2–1 Brentford 13 February 1971
7 Stoke City 0–0 Ipswich Town 13 February 1971
Replay Ipswich Town 0–1 Stoke City 16 February 1971
8 Colchester United 3–2 Leeds United 13 February 1971

Sixth Round Proper

The four sixth round ties were played on the 6 March 1971. There were two replays in the midweek fixtures of the following week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 0–0 Tottenham Hotspur 6 March 1971
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 0–1 Liverpool 16 March 1971
2 Leicester City 0–0 Arsenal 6 March 1971
Replay Arsenal 1–0 Leicester City 15 March 1971
3 Everton 5–0 Colchester United 6 March 1971
4 Hull City 2–3 Stoke City 6 March 1971


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 27 March 1971 with the Arsenal–Stoke match needing a replay. Liverpool and Arsenal came through the Semi final round to meet at Wembley.

Evans Goal 60'
Hall Goal 75'
Report Ball Goal 11'
Arsenal2–2Stoke City
Storey Goal 47' Goal 90' (pen) Report Smith Goal 21'
Ritchie Goal 30'


Arsenal2–0Stoke City
Graham Goal 13'
KennedyGoal 47'

Third place playoff

Between 1970 and 1974, a third place playoff between the two losing semi-finalists was held.[1]

Stoke City3–2Everton
Bernard Goal
Ritchie Goal Goal
Whittle Goal
Ball Goal


The 1971 FA Cup Final was contested by Arsenal and Liverpool at Wembley on the 8 May 1971. Arsenal won 2–1 after extra time, with all three goals coming in the added half-hour. Steve Heighway scored for Liverpool first, before Arsenal equalised with a scrambled goal from substitute Eddie Kelly - the first time a substitute had ever scored in an FA Cup final. Charlie George scored the winner in extra time.

Liverpool1 – 2Arsenal
Heighway Goal 92' (Report) Kelly Goal 101'
George Goal 111'

TV Coverage

The rights to show FA Cup games were, as with Football League matches, shared between the BBC and ITV network. All games were shown in a highlights format, except the Final, which was shown live both on BBC1 and ITV. The BBC football highlights programme Match Of The Day would show up to three games and the various ITV regional network stations would cover up to one game and show highlights from other games covered elsewhere on the ITV network. The ITV region Anglia showed highlights of the Second Round tie between Colchester United and Cambridge United, it would be the last game from outside the third round covered by ITV until 1984. Highlights of replays would be shown on either the BBC or ITV.

Second Round Proper Colchester United v Cambridge United (Anglia only)
Third Round Proper Blackpool v West Ham United
Manchester City v Wigan Athletic
Nottingham Forest v Luton Town
Yeovil Town v Arsenal
Chelsea v Crystal Palace (Replay)
Leeds United v Rotherham United (Replay)
Crystal Palace v Chelsea (LWT)
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Norwich City (ATV)
Hull City v Charlton Athletic (Anglia)
Manchester United v Middlesbrough (Granada)
Huddersfield Town v Birmingham City (Yorkshire)
Fourth Round Proper Derby County v Wolverhampton Wanderers
Portsmouth v Arsenal
Everton v Middlesbrough
Chelsea v Manchester City (LWT)
West Bromwich Albion v Ipswich Town (ATV)
York City v Southampton (Yorkshire)
Hull City v Blackpool (Anglia)
Watford v Oxford United (All Regions)
Fifth Round Proper Colchester United v Leeds United
Liverpool v Southampton
Leicester City v Oxford United
Manchester City v Arsenal
Tottenham Hotspur v Nottingham Forest (LWT)
Everton v Derby County (Granada)
Hull City v Brentford (Anglia and Yorkshire)
Stoke City v Ipswich Town (ATV)
Sixth Round Proper Everton v Colchester United
Leicester City v Arsenal
Arsenal v Leicester City (Replay)
Hull City v Stoke City
Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur (All regions)
Semi-finals Everton v Liverpool
Arsenal v Stoke City (Replay)
Stoke City v Arsenal (All regions)
Final Arsenal v Liverpool Arsenal v Liverpool


  • [1] MOTD listings
  1. ^ The annual ENGLAND v YOUNG ENGLAND fixture is replaced by an F.A. Cup match - the 3rd and 4th Place Play-Off., Football Site.
1970 FA Charity Shield

The 1970 FA Charity Shield was the 48th FA Charity Shield, the annual football match played between the winners of the previous season's Football League and FA Cup competitions. It was contested between Everton, the reigning First Division champions, and Chelsea, holders of the FA Cup. Goals from Alan Whittle and Howard Kendall gave Everton a 2–1 victory; Chelsea's goal was scored by Ian Hutchinson. The match was staged at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea's home ground.

1970–71 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1970–71 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 68th in the Football League, their 30th in the Second Division, and their first with Freddie Goodwin as manager. They finished in 9th position in the 22-team division. They entered the 1970–71 FA Cup in the third round proper and lost in that round after a replay to Huddersfield Town, and progressed from the first round of the League Cup to the fourth where they were eliminated by Bristol Rovers.

Twenty-six players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were twelve different goalscorers. Defender Roger Hynd played in 48 of the 50 first-team matches over the season, and Phil Summerill was leading goalscorer for the third consecutive season.

1970–71 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1970–71 is the 90th season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualifying rounds. The 28 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1971 FA Charity Shield

The 1971 FA Charity Shield was a football match between Leicester City and Liverpool at Filbert Street on Saturday 7 August 1971.Arsenal won the double in 1970-71 but were unable to take part in the Charity Shield because they had contracted to go on a pre-season tour that clashed with the fixture. The 1971 FA Cup Final runners up Liverpool and second division winners Leicester City were invited to take part instead.Leicester won the game with a goal from Steve Whitworth, who appeared to be offside when he tapped the ball in at the near post after initially crossing the ball into the box.

1971 FA Cup Final

In the finale to the 1970–71 FA Cup season, the 1971 FA Cup Final was contested by Arsenal and Liverpool at Wembley on 8 May 1971.

Arsenal won 2–1 after extra time, with all three goals coming in the added half-hour. Steve Heighway opened the scoring for Liverpool with a low drive past Wilson on his near post. However, Arsenal equalised with a scrambled goal from substitute Eddie Kelly – the first time a substitute had ever scored in an FA Cup final. The goal was initially credited to George Graham, but replays showed that the decisive touch came from Kelly after Graham had struck the shot. Charlie George then scored a dramatic winner late in extra time, when his long range effort flew past Ray Clemence. This prompted George into a famous celebration – lying on his back on the Wembley turf waiting for his teammates to pick him up.

The game was the second half of Arsenal's first League and FA Cup double, the first double achieved by any club since Tottenham Hotspur's double in 1961. The first half had been achieved through Arsenal's league victory over Tottenham at White Hart Lane on the Monday of the same week. The trophy was presented by the President of The Football Association, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent.

Due to the clash of Liverpool's red strip with Arsenal's red and white colours, Arsenal wore their away strip of yellow shirt and blue shorts.

Bertie Mee

Bertram Mee OBE (25 December 1918 – 22 October 2001) was an English footballer who played as a winger for Derby County and Mansfield Town. Mee was also a manager, noted for leading Arsenal to their first Double win in 1971.

Bob McNab

Robert McNab (born 20 July 1943) is an English former footballer who played as a defender. McNab featured for clubs Huddersfield Town, Arsenal, Wolverhampton Wanderers, San Antonio Thunder, Barnet, Vancouver Whitecaps and Tacoma Stars in his playing career. He also played for England's national football team.As a manager he was at the helm of teams Vancouver Whitecaps, Tacoma Stars, San Jose Grizzlies and Portsmouth.

Bob Wilson (footballer, born 1941)

Robert Primrose Wilson, OBE (born 30 October 1941) is a former Scotland international football goalkeeper and later broadcaster.As a player, Wilson is most noted for his 11-year playing career at Arsenal where he made over 300 appearances. Wilson as well featured as a youth and senior international for Scotland. After retiring as a player, he turned to coaching and broadcasting, presenting football programmes on television for 28 years until 2002. Wilson has also gone on to create a charity organization known as the Willow Foundation.

Don Howe

Donald Howe (12 October 1935 – 23 December 2015) was an English football player, coach, manager and pundit. As a right back Howe featured for clubs West Bromwich Albion and Arsenal together with the English national football team in his playing career. He also went on to manage sides West Brom, Galatasaray, Queens Park Rangers and Coventry City. Howe was also a successful coach and has been described as one of the most influential figures of the English footballing game.

FA Cup Third-fourth place matches

The FA Cup Third-fourth place matches were played to determine the order of third and fourth place in the FA Cup. They were introduced in 1970 replacing the traditional pre-final match between England and Young England. They were generally unpopular and were only played for five seasons. The 1972 and 1973 matches were played at the start of the following season and the 1974 match five days after the final. The 1972 match was the first FA Cup match to be decided on penalties.

Frank McLintock

Francis "Frank" McLintock MBE (born 28 December 1939) is a former Scotland international footballer and football manager. He also worked as a sports agent and football pundit in his later life.

He began his career in Scottish Junior football with Shawfield, before earning a professional contract with English First Division club Leicester City in December 1956. He played in two FA Cup final defeats before he was sold to Arsenal for £80,000 in October 1964. He had a poor start to his career at Arsenal, though he did feature in two League Cup final defeats, but he found success at the club after being switched from right-half to centre-half in 1969. Appointed as captain he led the club to their first European trophy, the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1970. The following season, 1970–71, he captained Arsenal to the Double, as they won the league and the FA Cup. He was sold to Queens Park Rangers in June 1973 for a fee of £25,000, and helped the club to finish as First Division runners-up in 1975–76 before he announced his retirement in May 1977. He scored a total of 66 goals in 766 league and cup games in a 20-year professional career, and won nine caps for Scotland in an eight-year international career.

He was appointed manager of Leicester City in June 1977, but resigned in April 1978 with the club heading out of the First Division. After a spell coaching at QPR he returned to management with Brentford in February 1984. He took the "Bees" to the 1985 Football League Trophy Final, before he resigned in January 1987. He later worked as assistant manager at Millwall before becoming a sports agent and football pundit.

George Armstrong (footballer)

George "Geordie" Armstrong (9 August 1944 – 1 November 2000) was an English football player and coach, who was mostly associated with Arsenal. A winger, Armstrong made his Arsenal debut in 1962 at the age of 17 and went on to make 621 appearances – which was then an all-time club record – before he left Highbury in 1977. He spent a season each with Leicester City and Stockport County, and then took up coaching, both domestically and abroad. After a year as Kuwait national team manager, Armstrong returned to Arsenal as reserve-team coach in 1990, a post which he held for the remaining ten years of his life.

George Graham (footballer)

George Graham (born 30 November 1944) is a Scottish former football player and manager. He made 455 appearances in the Football League as a midfielder or forward for Aston Villa, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Portsmouth and Crystal Palace. Approximately half of his total appearances were for Arsenal and he was part of the side that won the Football League Championship and FA Cup "double" in 1971. Graham also made 17 appearances for California Surf in 1978. He then moved to the coaching staff at Crystal Palace, before joining former Palace manager Terry Venables as a coach at Queens Park Rangers. As a manager, he won numerous domestic and European honours with Arsenal between 1987 and 1995, and he also managed Millwall, Leeds United and Tottenham Hotspur.

History of Liverpool F.C. (1959–1985)

The history of Liverpool Football Club from 1959 to 1985 covers the period from the appointment of Bill Shankly as manager of the then Second Division club, to the Heysel Stadium disaster and its aftermath.

Overhauling the team during his first year at Liverpool, Shankly released 24 players and converted a boot storage room into a meeting place where he and his coaches discussed strategy. They won the 1961–62 Second Division title and were promoted to the First Division. Two seasons later, Liverpool won their first League title since 1946–47, thereby qualifying for Liverpool's first participation in UEFA competition. The following season, Liverpool won their first FA Cup. Further League titles followed in 1965–66 and 1972–73. 1973 brought their first European trophy, the 1972-73 UEFA Cup. The following season, Shankly's last, they won the FA Cup again.

Shankly's assistant Bob Paisley took over in 1974. His first season in charge was trophiless before winning the League title and UEFA Cup the following season. Three European Cups and four League titles followed before Paisley retired at the end of 1982–83. His assistant, Joe Fagan, took over.

Liverpool won a trophy treble during Fagan's first season as manager, winning the League title for the third straight year, the Football League Cup for the fourth straight year and a fourth European Cup. The following season, the club was involved in one of the worst football stadium disasters. Before the start of the 1985 European Cup Final versus Juventus, Liverpool fans breached a fence separating the two groups of supporters, and charged the Juventus fans. The resulting weight of people caused a retaining wall to collapse, killing 39 mostly Italians fans. This tragedy, the Heysel Stadium disaster, caused a five-year UEFA competition expulsion of English clubs.

John Radford (footballer)

John Radford (born 22 February 1947) is an English former footballer who played for Arsenal, West Ham United and Blackburn Rovers throughout his career. Radford, who also played as a forward, is Arsenal's fourth highest goal scorer of all time.

List of Arsenal F.C. managers

Arsenal Football Club is an English professional association football club based in Islington, London. The club was formed in Woolwich in 1886 as Dial Square before it was shortly renamed to Royal Arsenal, and then Woolwich Arsenal in 1893. They became the first southern member admitted into the Football League in 1893, having spent their first four seasons solely participating in cup tournaments and friendlies. The club's name was shortened to Arsenal in 1914, a year after moving to Highbury. In spite of finishing fifth in the Second Division in 1915, Arsenal rejoined the First Division at the expense of local rivals Tottenham Hotspur when football resumed after the First World War. Since that time, they have not fallen below the first tier of the English football league system and hold the record for the longest uninterrupted period in the top flight.There have been nineteen permanent and seven caretaker managers of Arsenal since 1897; Stewart Houston has managed the club in two separate spells as caretaker. The most successful person to manage Arsenal is Arsène Wenger, who won three Premier League titles, seven FA Cups and seven Community Shields between 1996 and 2018. Wenger is the club's longest-serving manager; he surpassed George Allison's record of 13 years in October 2009. Two Arsenal managers have died in the job – Herbert Chapman and Tom Whittaker.

This chronological list comprises all those who have held the position of manager of the first team of Arsenal since their foundation in 1886. Each manager's entry includes his dates of tenure and the club's overall competitive record (in terms of matches won, drawn and lost), honours won and significant achievements while under his care. Caretaker managers are included, where known, as well as those who have been in permanent charge.

Pat Rice

Patrick James Rice, MBE (born 17 March 1949) is a Northern Irish former footballer and coach. As a player, he made over 500 appearances for Arsenal, winning the Double, and later made a hundred more appearances for Watford. He also won 49 caps for Northern Ireland. After retirement from playing professionally he was at the helm of Arsenal's Academy teams, then served as assistant manager of Arsenal, a position he held since the appointment of Arsène Wenger in 1996, and helped the club to two more Doubles, amongst other silverware, in that time. He announced his retirement from the post on 10 May 2012.

Ray Kennedy

Raymond Kennedy (born 28 July 1951) is an English former footballer who won every domestic honour in the game with Arsenal and Liverpool in the 1970s and early 1980s. Kennedy played as a forward for Arsenal, and then played as a left-sided midfielder for Liverpool. He scored 148 goals in 581 league and cup appearances in a 15-year career in the Football League and also won 17 caps for England between 1976 and 1980, scoring three international goals.

Kennedy turned professional for Arsenal in November 1968. He made his first team debut ten months later, and went on to win the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1970, the First Division and FA Cup Double in 1970–71, and then play on the losing side in the 1972 FA Cup Final. His form then declined, and he was sold to Liverpool for a club record £200,000 fee in July 1974, at the same time that Bill Shankly resigned as manager. He initially struggled at the club, but after manager Bob Paisley converted him to a left-sided midfielder he went on to help Liverpool to become the dominant club of English football from 1975 to 1982. During his time at the club Liverpool won the First Division five times (1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80, and 1981–82), the FA Charity Shield four times (1976, 1977, 1979 and 1980), the European Cup three times, (1977, 1978, and 1981), and the UEFA Cup (1976), UEFA Super Cup (1977), and League Cup (1981). He also picked up runners-up medals in the FA Cup (1977), UEFA Super Cup (1978), League Cup (1981), and World Club Championship (1981) and won the Match of the Day's Goal of the Season award in 1977–78.

He was a strong player with an excellent first touch, intelligence, and all round ability. This allowed him to transition from a forward to a midfielder during his time at Liverpool. Despite his trophy successes with Arsenal and Liverpool, after winning six caps for the England under-23 side he was unable to translate his club form into a good international career, and was used as a stand-in for Trevor Brooking before he retired from international football in frustration in March 1981. His only international tournament appearance was at Euro 1980. Bob Paisley described him as "one of Liverpool's greatest players and probably the most underrated".

Kennedy joined Swansea City for a £160,000 fee in January 1982 and added a Welsh Cup winners medal to his collection four months later. However the effects of Parkinson's disease began to reduce his effectiveness on the pitch, and he dropped into the Fourth Division with Hartlepool United in November 1983. During the 1984–85 season he spent a brief time as player-manager of Cyprus club Pezoporikos and later played for Northern League club Ashington. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in November 1984. His life after football was tough, as he had to deal with the effects of Parkinson's, the loss of his business, and the breakdown of his 15-year marriage. He remained reliant on charity to fund his medical expenses, and was forced to sell his medal collection and caps in 1993.

Ron Harris (footballer)

Ronald Edward Harris (born 13 November 1944 in Hackney, London, England), known by the nickname "Chopper", is a former English footballer who played for Chelsea in the 1960s and 1970s. Harris is widely regarded as one of the toughest defenders of his era – along with players such as Tommy Smith and Norman Hunter – hence the nickname. His brother Allan Harris was also a professional footballer and they were teammates at Chelsea in the mid-1960s.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
197071 in European football (UEFA)
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
League cups
UEFA competitions
Non-UEFA competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.