1969 FA Cup Final

The 1969 FA Cup Final was the final match of the 1968–69 staging of English football's primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, better known as the FA Cup. The match was contested between Leicester City and Manchester City at Wembley Stadium in London on Saturday 26 April 1969. This was the first FA Cup final since 1951 to take place in the month of April. Three-time winners Manchester City were appearing in their seventh final, whereas Leicester City were seeking to win the competition for the first time, having lost three previous finals.

Each team won six ties to reach the final, and overcame one of the 1968 finalists (West Bromwich Albion and Everton) at the semi-final stage. As Manchester City were reigning league champions and Leicester City were battling to avoid relegation, the Manchester club were strong favourites. The match finished 1–0 to Manchester City. The goal came in the 24th minute, scored by Neil Young.[1] The victory was Manchester City's fourth FA Cup win.

1969 FA Cup Final
Match programme cover
Event1968–69 FA Cup
Manchester City Leicester City
1 0
Date26 April 1969
VenueWembley Stadium, London
Man of the MatchAllan Clarke (Leicester City)
RefereeGeorge McCabe (South Yorkshire)

Route to the final

Leicester City
Round Opposition Score
3rd Barnsley (a) 1–1
Barnsley (h) 2–1
4th Millwall (a) 1–0
5th Liverpool (h) 0–0
Liverpool (a) 1–0
6th Mansfield Town (a) 1–0
Semi-final West Bromwich Albion (n) 1–0

As both Leicester City and Manchester City were First Division clubs, they entered the competition in the third round.

Leicester City started their cup run against Barnsley, but required a replay to overcome their Third Division opponents 2–1. The first Leicester goal was controversial, as the referee overruled his linesman, who had flagged for a foul. Barnsley equalised with a penalty, but Leicester quickly retook the lead. Later in the second half Leicester claimed a third goal, but the referee adjudged that the ball had not crossed the line.[2] A 1–0 win at Millwall followed.

In the fifth round, Leicester City faced Liverpool. The match was postponed six times before it eventually took place on 1 March.[3] A 0–0 draw meant a replay at Anfield. Andy Lochhead gave the Foxes the lead on 34 minutes. Five minutes later McArthurs's handball gave Liverpool a penalty, but Peter Shilton saved Tommy Smith's spot-kick. Liverpool attacked for much of the second half, but Leicester held out to win 1–0.[4] The quarter final saw a trip to Mansfield Town, who had knocked out clubs from five different divisions. On a pitch described by The Times' Geoffrey Green as "resembling a glutinous swamp", Leicester won 1–0. The goal was a header by Rodney Fern from a Len Glover cross.[5] The semi-final, played at Hillsborough Stadium, was against cup-holders West Bromwich Albion. In a game of few chances, Allan Clarke scored from an Andy Lochhead knockdown with four minutes remaining.[6] Leicester City gained their fourth 1–0 win of the competition and reached the final.

Manchester City
Round Opposition Score
3rd Luton Town (h) 1–0
4th Newcastle United (a) 0–0
Newcastle United (h) 2–0
5th Blackburn Rovers (a) 4–1
6th Tottenham Hotspur (h) 1–0
Semi-final Everton (n) 1–0

Manchester City's first tie was against Luton Town of the Third Division, which City won 1–0, Francis Lee the scorer.[7] In the fourth round, the club were drawn away to Newcastle United, one of only two top-flight clubs with an away draw.[8] The match finished 0–0, and so was replayed at Maine Road. Manchester City won 2–0, but had to play much of the match with 10 men after Mike Summerbee was sent off.[9] Like Leicester's fifth round tie, Manchester City's match at Blackburn Rovers' Ewood Park was delayed multiple times due to poor weather. When it was eventually played Manchester City were comfortable 4–1 winners.[9] In the sixth round, Manchester City were drawn at home to Tottenham Hotspur. The match was closely contested; in his autobiography, City's Mike Doyle described it as the hardest match of the whole cup run.[10] As in the third round, City won 1–0 thanks to a Francis Lee goal.[11]

The semi-final, against Everton, was played at Villa Park. Everton were renowned for their powerful midfield of Ball, Harvey and Kendall, but opted to play more defensively than usual. Manchester City nevertheless paid special attention to this area, and instructed David Connor to man-mark Ball.[12] Mike Doyle suffered an injury in the first half, and spent 20 minutes off the field. City had the better of the game, but goalscoring chances were missed by Lee and Young.[13] With little time remaining, Young forced a corner. Young took the corner himself, from which teenager Tommy Booth scored the game's only goal.[14]


Manchester City were appearing in the final for the seventh time. They had won the cup three times previously (in 1904, 1934 and 1956), and had been beaten in the final three times (in 1926, 1933 and 1955). Leicester City were making their fourth cup final appearance, and their third of the decade, having lost on all three previous occasions (in 1949, 1961 and 1963). The clubs had met in the FA Cup in each of the preceding three seasons. In 1966 Manchester City won a fifth round tie 1–0 after a replay, and won again in the third round in 1967.[15] In the 1967–68 season Leicester finally prevailed. After a 0–0 draw at Maine Road, Leicester City came back from 2–0 down at Filbert Street to win 4–3.[16]

Manchester City manager Joe Mercer named his team for the final several days in advance. Glyn Pardoe missed training on Monday 21st with a leg injury,[17] but after the fitness of Pardoe, Tony Coleman and Alan Oakes was tested in a practice match, all three were passed fit.[18] Leicester City named a 14-man squad before travelling to a training camp in Bisham on the Tuesday.[18] Manchester City travelled south on the Thursday, staying in Weybridge.[18] Leicester had fitness doubts over Dave Gibson, Len Glover and John Sjoberg, but initially expected all three to be available for the final.[17] However, in a practice match against Brentford, Sjoberg had to leave the field with a groin injury.[19] His place in the team was taken by Alan Woollett.[20]

Each club received 16,000 tickets for the final from the Football Association.[21] The match was televised live by the BBC and ITV. Both broadcasters devoted several hours to match build-up, incorporating FA Cup-themed versions of other programmes, such as Cup Final It's a Knockout.[22]

As the previous season's league champions, Manchester City were strong favourites, particularly as Leicester were embroiled in a struggle to avoid relegation from the First Division. The Times correspondent anticipated that the condition of the pitch would influence the match, stating that "if — as it is said — it is in a good, lush state Manchester will be happy. If, on the other hand, it proves to be heavy, then it could suit Leicester the better."[20] On the day before the game Joe Mercer criticised the pitch, likening it to a cabbage patch.[23]


At 21, Leicester's David Nish became the youngest ever captain of a cup finalist.[24] His opposite number Tony Book became the third oldest at 35.[20] Book had missed a large part of season through injury,[25] but upon returning his impact was so great that he shared the award for the 1969 FWA Footballer of the Year.[20]

As the teams prepared to leave their dressing rooms, Manchester City deliberately delayed their exit by a short period to play on any nerves the Leicester City players may have had.[26] Manchester City coach Malcolm Allison was not permitted to take his place on the bench, as he was serving a touchline ban. Instead, he had to sit in the stand behind the dugout.[26] Before kick-off, the players were introduced to the guest of honour, Princess Anne.[27]

Fears that the contest would be a mismatch proved to be unfounded, with Leicester playing in a more attacking manner than anticipated. The Observer's Hugh McIvanney wrote: "Suggestions that Leicester would attempt to minimise the discrepancy in talents by a concentration on defensive spoiling were exposed as unjust…offering the deceptively languid dribbles of Clarke, the thoughtful passes of Roberts and Gibson and the thrustful running of Lochhead as proof that the skills were not all on one side."[28] Neil Young and Tony Coleman both had early scoring chances for Manchester City, but missed the target. For Leicester City, a dribbling run by Clarke ended in a shot that was saved by Dowd,[28] and a mishit shot by Len Glover was cleared off the goal-line by a defender.[29] Manchester City scored midway through the first half. Mike Summerbee crossed the ball from wide on the right, and Young hit a left footed shot high into Peter Shilton's net.[29] Few further chances occurred in the first half.[28]

Just after half-time, Leicester City had their strongest scoring chance, when Andy Lochhead received a headed knockdown from Allan Clarke, but Lochhead's shot went high above the goal.[29] A dominant period by Manchester City then followed, which included a chance for Colin Bell from a free-kick.[28] Len Glover was forced to move into defence with his team under pressure, but was injured shortly afterward and had to be substituted.[28] Defender Malcolm Manley came on in his place.[30]

A poll of journalists named Allan Clarke as man of the match.[28]


Manchester City1–0Leicester City
Young Goal 24' Report
Manchester City
Leicester City
GK 1 England Harry Dowd
RB 2 England Tony Book (c)
LB 3 England Glyn Pardoe
CB 4 England Mike Doyle
CB 5 England Tommy Booth
CM 6 England Alan Oakes
RW 7 England Mike Summerbee
CM 8 England Colin Bell
FW 9 England Francis Lee
FW 10 England Neil Young
LW 11 England Tony Coleman
DF 12 England David Connor
England Joe Mercer
GK 1 England Peter Shilton
DF 2 Wales Peter Rodrigues
DF 3 England David Nish (c)
MF 4 Scotland Bobby Roberts
DF 5 England Alan Woollett
DF 6 England Graham Cross
MF 7 England Rodney Fern
MF 8 Scotland Dave Gibson
FW 9 Scotland Andy Lochhead
FW 10 England Allan Clarke
MF 11 England Lenny Glover Substituted off 70'
DF 12 Scotland Malcolm Manley Substituted in 70'
Republic of Ireland Frank O'Farrell

Match rules

  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Replay if scores still level.
  • One named substitute.


The Manchester City team returned to Manchester the following evening. They travelled by train to Wilmslow, from where they undertook a 13-mile parade in an open-topped bus. 25,000 people lined the route, with a further 3,000 people in Albert Square, where the parade finished.[31] Three days later, the team paraded the cup in front of their supporters before their match against West Ham United at Maine Road.[32]

The good conduct of the supporters of both teams was praised in Parliament by MPs Barnett Janner and Tom Boardman.[33]

Manchester City's cup was their fourth. In winning the trophy, Joe Mercer became the first person to win the league championship and FA Cup as both a captain and a manager.[29] By winning the competition, Manchester City earned the right to compete in the 1969–70 European Cup Winners' Cup. City went on to win the Cup Winners' Cup, beating Górnik Zabrze 2–1 in the final.[34] Leicester City continued to struggle in their remaining league matches and were relegated to the Second Division. Leicester became only the second club to reach a cup final and suffer relegation in the same season. By coincidence, the other club to have done so was Manchester City, who were subject to the same fate in 1926.[35]


  1. ^ Odgen, Mark (7 January 2011). "Roberto Mancini to lead red-and-black scarf tribute to Manchester City FA Cup hero Neil Young". Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on 20 January 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
  2. ^ Michael Carey (9 January 1969). "Barnsley's persistence and skill wanes". The Guardian.
  3. ^ Leslie Duxbury (2 March 1969). "Odds are now on Liverpool". The Observer.
  4. ^ Tom German (4 March 1969). "Liverpool's power overcome by Leicester". The Times.
  5. ^ Geoffrey Green (10 March 1969). "Cup win clouded by relegation worry". The Times.
  6. ^ Arthur Hopcraft (30 March 1969). "Clarke gives the killer touch to lucky Leicester". The Observer.
  7. ^ Summerbee, Mike Summerbee: The Autobiography, p. 187.
  8. ^ Geoffrey Green (4 March 1969). "Luck favours big clubs in FA Cup draw". The Times.
  9. ^ a b Summerbee, Mike Summerbee: The Autobiography, p. 188.
  10. ^ Doyle, Blue Blood, p. 57.
  11. ^ Summerbee, Mike Summerbee: The Autobiography, pp. 189–90.
  12. ^ Tossell, Big Mal, p. 167.
  13. ^ Geoffrey Green (23 March 1969). "Everton fear defeat too much to win". The Times.
  14. ^ Penney, Blue Heaven, pp. 77–8.
  15. ^ Eric Todd (26 April 1969). "Sparring's over – time for action". The Guardian. p. 16.
  16. ^ Goldstone, Phil; Saffer, David (2005). Manchester City Champions 1967/68. Stroud: Tempus. p. 74. ISBN 978-0-7524-3611-1.
  17. ^ a b "Squads named for Wembley". The Guardian. 22 April 1969. p. 19.
  18. ^ a b c "Mercer chooses Wembley team". The Times. 22 April 1969. p. 13.
  19. ^ "Sjoberg's injury worries Leicester". The Guardian. 24 April 1969. p. 21.
  20. ^ a b c d Geoffrey Green (26 April 1969). "Manchester City aim to entertain and win". The Times. p. 12.
  21. ^ "George McCabe, a firm believer in man management". The Guardian. 25 April 1969. p. 22.
  22. ^ Tossell, Big Mal. p. 168.
  23. ^ "Pitch "A cabbage patch"". The Guardian. 26 April 1969. p. 1.
  24. ^ "David Nish". Leicester City FC. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
  25. ^ Geoffrey Green (10 April 1969). "Book travels from building site to Wembley in five years". The Times. p. 12.
  26. ^ a b Book, Maine Man, p. 88
  27. ^ Summerbee, Mike Summerbee: The Autobiography, p. 196.
  28. ^ a b c d e f Hugh McIlvanney (27 April 1969). "Manchester prove they are masters". The Observer.
  29. ^ a b c d Geoffrey Green (28 April 1969). "Manchester City's sights set high". The Times. p. 6.
  30. ^ Pawson, 100 Years of the FA Cup, p. 268.
  31. ^ William Hanley (28 April 1969). "Ebullient welcome for Cup winners". The Guardian. p. 18.
  32. ^ "Pardoe shows his forwards how it's done". The Guardian. 1 May 1969. p. 11.
  33. ^ "Cup crowd praised". The Guardian. 2 May 1969. p. 22.
  34. ^ Ward, The Manchester City Story, p. 64.
  35. ^ Ward, The Manchester City Story, p. 63.


  • Book, Tony; David Clayton (2004). Maine Man. Mainstream publishing. ISBN 1-84018-812-X.
  • Doyle, Mike; & Clayton, David (2006). Blue Blood: the Mike Doyle Story. Liverpool: Bluecoat. ISBN 1-904438-38-5.
  • Goldstone, Phil; Saffer, David (2005). Manchester City Champions 1967/68. Stroud: Tempus. ISBN 978-0-7524-3611-1.
  • Pawson, Tony (1972). 100 Years of the FA Cup. London: Heinemann. ISBN 0-330-23274-6.
  • Penney, Ian (1996). Blue Heaven: Manchester City's Greatest Games. Edinburgh: Mainstream. ISBN 1-85158-872-8.
  • Summerbee, Mike (2008). Mike Summerbee: The Autobiography. London: Century. ISBN 978-1-8460-5493-8.
  • Tossell, David (2008). Big Mal: The High Life and hard Times of Malcolm Allison, Football Legend. Edinburgh: Mainstream. ISBN 978-1-84596-478-8.
  • Ward, Andrew (1984). The Manchester City Story. Derby: Breedon. ISBN 0-907969-05-4.

External links

1968–69 FA Cup

The 1968–69 FA Cup was the 88th season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Manchester City won the competition for the fourth time, beating Leicester City 1–0 in the final at Wembley, through a goal from Neil Young.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played. The 1968–69 tournament was remarkable in that no second replays were required at any point throughout the main event.

1970 European Cup Winners' Cup Final

The 1970 European Cup Winners' Cup Final was a football match between Manchester City of England and Górnik Zabrze of Poland on 29 April 1970 at Prater Stadium in Vienna, Austria. It was the final match of the 1969–70 European Cup Winners' Cup and the tenth European Cup Winners' Cup final. Both sides made their first appearance in a European final. Manchester City won the match 2–1 thanks to goals by Neil Young and Francis Lee. The victory was City's only European trophy.

2011 FA Cup Final

The 2011 FA Cup Final was the 130th final of the FA Cup, the world's oldest domestic football cup competition. The final took place on 14 May 2011 at Wembley Stadium in London in front of 88,643 spectators and a British television audience of more than eight million. The clubs contesting the final were Premier League clubs Manchester City and Stoke City. The match was Stoke City's first FA Cup final, and Manchester City's ninth.

As Premier League clubs, they entered the competition in the third round. Manchester City made an unconvincing start, contesting two replays against lower league opposition in the third and fourth rounds but gained momentum and kept three consecutive clean sheets en route to the final. Stoke City played one replay in the third round, before beating all opponents in a run which culminated in a 5–0 victory over Bolton Wanderers in the semi-final at Wembley Stadium – the biggest winning margin at Wembley since 1939. Manchester City entered the final as favourites, with Stoke City as underdogs.Manchester City began the match the brighter of the two teams with the majority of possession and a number of shots forcing saves from goalkeeper Thomas Sørensen but the first half remained goalless. Stoke improved after the half-time interval but failed to score from their only shot on target in the 62nd minute, which was saved by goalkeeper Joe Hart after a one-on-one with striker Kenwyne Jones. In the 74th minute, Manchester City midfielder, Yaya Touré fired a loose ball in the Stoke City penalty area past goalkeeper Sørensen to give Manchester City the lead. Stoke attempted to equalise after Manchester City's goal without success and the final finished 1–0 with Manchester City claiming their fifth FA Cup. The result gave Manchester City their first major trophy for 35 years, ending the longest trophy drought in the club's history. Stoke City manager Tony Pulis said "Manchester City were the better team and deserved to win", but expressed "disappointment" at his team's display. Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini dedicated the victory to the Manchester City supporters, declaring, "I am happy for the fans, they deserved to win this Cup. For a long time they didn't win."The medals were handed out by Prime Minister David Cameron. As winners, Manchester City won a place in the 2011 FA Community Shield and the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League but as they had already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via their league position, the Europa League place was given to Stoke City as runners-up. To celebrate their victory, Manchester City held an open-top bus parade on 23 May 2011, beginning at Manchester Town Hall and ending at the City of Manchester Stadium; it attracted a crowd of up to 100,000.

Alan Woollett

Alan Woollett was a locally born defender who played for Leicester City during what many people believe to have been their golden era in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Steady and committed he was a member of the losing 1969 FA Cup Final side and was eventually awarded a testimonial against Chelsea in 1977. In 2003 ex-Fox Steve Earle revealed that, unlike many players from that era, Woollett had never considered a move to the United States because he could not bear to be parted from his dog. When it eventually died he was too distraught to travel with the squad for a game against Liverpool in May 1973. Manager Jimmy Bloomfield tried to get his teammates to show some respectful sympathy – a feat teammate Len Glover was singularly unable to manage.

Andy Lochhead

Andrew Lorimar Lochhead (born 9 March 1941) is a retired professional footballer who played as a striker. He was a tall, strong man, with great ability in the air leading to him scoring many headed goals.

Lochhead was born in Milngavie, Stirlingshire, Scotland. He started his career at Burnley and made his first team debut in 1960. He remains the only player to have scored five goals for the Clarets on two occasions. On December 26, 1963, he scored four goals in a 6-1 win over Manchester United at Turf Moor.

In 1968, he was sold to Leicester City and appeared in their 1969 FA Cup Final 1-0 defeat against Manchester City.

He was sold to Aston Villa after the final and played in the 1971 Football League Cup Final for Villa. In 1972 following his contribution to the Villa's promotion to Division 2 (19 goals) he was voted the midlands footballer of the year in a write-in poll conducted by the Birmingham Evening Mail newspaper. In 1973, he was sold to Oldham Athletic. He had a brief spell in America with Denver Dynamos before retiring.

Lochhead now looks after the sponsors on match days for Burnley as well as being a member of the Dave Clark Five fan club.

Bobby Roberts (footballer)

Robert Roberts (born 2 September 1940) is a Scottish former football player and manager, who played as a Midfielder.

Dave Gibson (Scottish footballer)

David Wedderburn Gibson (born 23 September 1938 in Kirkliston, West Lothian) was a Scottish footballer, who played for Livingston United, Hibernian, Leicester City, Aston Villa, Exeter City and the Scotland national team.

Considered to be one of the finest and most skilful players in Leicester's history, he was the playmaker and creative force of the great Leicester side of the 1960s under Matt Gillies, including the "Ice Kings" side that fell just short of winning the double in 1962–63.

He scored in both legs of Leicester's 1964 League Cup final victory and also played in a further 3 cup finals for the club.Gibson earnt 7 caps and scored 3 goals for Scotland, including a goal against Spain at the Santiago Bernabéu just 12 months before Spain became European Champions.

Frank O'Farrell

Francis "Frank" O'Farrell (born 9 October 1927) is an Irish former football player and manager. O'Farrell played as a wing half for Cork United, West Ham United and Preston North End. He made over 300 appearances in the Football League before joining Weymouth as player-manager. He went on to manage Torquay United (three stints), Leicester City, Manchester United, Cardiff City, Iran and Al-Shaab. He played for the Republic of Ireland national team, making nine appearances between 1952 and 1959.

George McCabe

George McCabe (born 13 March 1922, Sheffield, Yorkshire; died January 2001) was an English association football referee, who officiated at the 1966 World Cup and in an FA Cup Final. He became a Football League referee in 1954 and an international referee in 1960. Throughout his league career he sent off only three players. Outside football he was the director of a Sheffield engineering company.

Harry Dowd

Henry William Dowd (4 July 1938 – 7 April 2015) was an English football goalkeeper who played for Manchester City, Stoke City and Oldham Athletic.

History of Leicester City F.C.

This is the history of Leicester City Football Club, based in Leicester, England, the United Kingdom. Having been founded over 100 years ago, for the first time, in the 2015–16 season, Leicester City won the Premier League, with Claudio Ranieri being the manager. Also, in the same season, the team qualified for the UEFA Champions League.

Ian Bowyer

Ian Bowyer (born 6 June 1951 in Little Sutton, Cheshire) is an English former footballer who played mostly as a midfielder best known for many honours in his career at Nottingham Forest. At Nottingham Forest he won the 1977–78 Football League and 1977–78 Football League Cup. The following season he won the 1979 European Cup Final and 1978–79 Football League Cup. He was part of Forest's successful retaining of the European Cup the season after. Other honours at Forest included the 1976-77 Anglo-Scottish Cup, 1976 promotion from the English second tier to the top flight, the 1978 FA Charity Shield and the 1979 UEFA Super Cup. At all clubs, in the league alone he played 599 first team games scoring 102 goals in a playing career spanning four decades.

He started his professional career at Manchester City winning Football League Cup and European Cup Winner's Cup Finals both in 1970. He then played for two seasons at Orient before his lengthy career at Forest. His playing days at Forest were interrupted with a season at Sunderland. After Forest he went to Hereford United who he player managed winning the 1989-90 Welsh Cup. He has also been involved after playing at Plymouth Argyle, Rotherham United, Birmingham City, Forest and Rushden and Diamonds.

Malcolm Manley

Malcolm Manley was a cultured Scottish footballer (soccer player) whose career was cruelly cut short by a crippling knee injury. Born in Johnstone on 1 December 1949 Manley gained Schoolboy international honours for Scotland before joining his hometown club Johnstone Burgh. Here he quickly caught the eye of scouts south of the border and he signed for Leicester City F.C. in January 1967. The highlights of his time at Filbert Street included being substitute in the 1969 FA Cup Final side and a 1971 Second division Championship winners Medal. In December 1973 Manley signed for Portsmouth with funds made available by ambitious new chairman John Deacon. Manager John Mortimore planned a rock-like central partnership between the Scotsman and fellow new signing Paul Went which briefly materialised before he severed a cartilage in only his 11th game for the Fratton Park club, never to play professionally again.

Manchester City F.C.

Manchester City Football Club is an English football club based in Manchester, that competes in the Premier League, the top flight of English football. Founded in 1880 as St. Mark's (West Gorton), it became Ardwick Association Football Club in 1887 and Manchester City in 1894. The club's home ground is the City of Manchester Stadium in east Manchester, to which it moved in 2003, having played at Maine Road since 1923.

Manchester City entered the Football League in 1899, and won their first major honour with the FA Cup in 1904. It had its first major period of success in the late 1960s, winning the League, FA Cup and League Cup under the management of Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison. After losing the 1981 FA Cup Final, the club went through a period of decline, culminating in relegation to the third tier of English football. Having regained their Premier League status in the early 2000s, Manchester City was purchased in 2008 by Abu Dhabi United Group for £210 million and received considerable financial investment.

The club have won six domestic league titles. Under the management of Pep Guardiola they won the Premier League in 2018 becoming the only Premier League team to attain 100 points in a single season. In 2019, they won four trophies, completing an unprecedented sweep of all domestic trophies in England and becoming the first English men's team to win the domestic treble. Manchester City's revenue was the fifth highest of a football club in the world in the 2017–18 season at €527.7 million. In 2018, Forbes estimated the club was the fifth most valuable in the world at $2.47 billion.

Manchester City F.C. in European football

Manchester City, an English professional association football club, has gained entry to Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) competitions on several occasions. They have represented England in the European Cup (now the Champions League) on eight occasions, the UEFA Cup (now the Europa League) on seven separate occasions, and the now-defunct Cup Winners' Cup twice. Manchester City are one of twelve English football clubs to have won a European title, in City's case the 1969–70 Cup Winners Cup.

The club's first entry into European competition occurred in 1968, as a result of winning the 1967–68 Football League Championship. However, the participation was short-lived, as the club suffered a surprise defeat at the hands of Fenerbahçe in the first round. Entry into the Cup Winners' Cup the following season was more successful; Manchester City won the competition, defeating Górnik Zabrze 2–1 at the Prater Stadium in Vienna. The club reached the semi-final of the same competition the following year, and continued to play European football regularly during the 1970s. The club then endured a period of decline, and did not play in Europe again until 2003, a gap of 24 years. Since then the club has qualified for European competition on a regular basis.

In the 1970s Manchester City also had a track record of repeated entry into several of the non-UEFA sanctioned European competitions which were run in the era, including the Anglo-Italian League Cup and the Texaco Cup.

Neil Young (footballer, born 1944)

Neil James Young (17 February 1944 – 3 February 2011) was an English footballer who made more than 400 appearances in the Football League playing as a striker for Manchester City, Preston North End and Rochdale.In total, Young scored 86 goals from 334 League games for Manchester City, scored the only goal in the 1969 FA Cup Final, and scored as City won the 1970 European Cup Winners' Cup Final. Transferred to Preston North End for £48,000 during the 1971–72 season, he made 68 League appearances and scored 18 goals for the Deepdale club before finishing his senior career with Rochdale, where he spent the 1974–75 season.

Peter Rodrigues

Peter Joseph Rodrigues (born 21 January 1944) is a retired footballer, best remembered as the captain of Southampton's 1976 FA Cup winning team.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Community Shield
European Cup Winners' Cup Final
Full Members' Cup Final
Football League play-off Final
Other matches
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Community Shields
Football League play-off Finals
Other matches

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.