1969–70 FA Cup

The 1969–70 FA Cup was the 89th season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. First Division Chelsea won the competition for the first time, first drawing with Leeds United 2–2 in the final at Wembley, before winning 2–1 in the replay at Old Trafford.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1969–70 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsManchester City
ChampionsChelsea (1st title)
Runners-upLeeds United
Third placeManchester United
Fourth placeWatford


Round Date
Preliminary Round Saturday 6 September 1969
First Round Qualifying Saturday 20 September 1969
Second Round Qualifying Saturday 4 October 1969
Third Round Qualifying Saturday 18 October 1969
Fourth Round Qualifying Saturday 1 November 1969
First Round Proper Saturday 15 November 1969
Second Round Proper Saturday 6 December 1969
Third Round Proper Saturday 3 January 1970
Fourth Round Proper Saturday 24 January 1970
Fifth Round Proper Saturday 7 February 1970
Sixth Round Proper Saturday 21 February 1970
Semi-Finals Saturday 14 March 1970
Final Saturday 11 April 1970


First Round Proper

At this stage clubs from the Football League Third and Fourth Divisions joined those non-league clubs having come through the qualifying rounds. Matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 15 November 1969. Thirteen matches were drawn, of which two went to second replays and one of these to a third.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Darlington 0–0 Barnsley 15 November 1969
Replay Barnsley 2–0 Darlington 18 November 1969
2 Hartlepool 3–0 North Shields 15 November 1969
3 Bournemouth 1–1 Luton Town 15 November 1969
Replay Luton Town 3–1 Bournemouth 18 November 1969
4 Bury 2–2 Mansfield Town 15 November 1969
Replay Mansfield Town 2–0 Bury 19 November 1969
5 Yeovil Town 2–3 Shrewsbury Town 15 November 1969
6 Walsall 0–0 Orient 15 November 1969
Replay Orient 0–2 Walsall 17 November 1969
7 Notts County 0–3 Rotherham United 15 November 1969
8 Macclesfield Town 1–1 Scunthorpe United 15 November 1969
Replay Scunthorpe United 4–2 Macclesfield Town 18 November 1969
9 Lincoln City 2–0 Southport 15 November 1969
10 Doncaster Rovers 1–1 Crewe Alexandra 15 November 1969
Replay Crewe Alexandra 0–1 Doncaster Rovers 19 November 1969
11 Tranmere Rovers 3–0 Chesterfield 15 November 1969
12 Stockport County 1–1 Mossley 15 November 1969
Replay Mossley 0–1 Stockport County 18 November 1969
13 Bangor City 6–0 Kirkby Town 15 November 1969
14 Brentford 0–0 Plymouth Argyle 15 November 1969
Replay Plymouth Argyle 2–0 Brentford 19 November 1969
15 Northampton Town 0–0 Weymouth 15 November 1969
Replay Weymouth 1–3 Northampton Town 19 November 1969
16 Brighton & Hove Albion 2–1 Enfield 15 November 1969
17 Bradford City 2–1 Grimsby Town 15 November 1969
18 Oldham Athletic 3–1 Grantham 15 November 1969
19 Spennymoor United 1–4 Wrexham 15 November 1969
20 Southend United 0–0 Gillingham 15 November 1969
Replay Gillingham 2–1 Southend United 19 November 1969
21 Exeter City 2–0 Fulham 15 November 1969
22 Alfreton Town 1–1 Barrow 15 November 1969
Replay Barrow 0–0 Alfreton Town 17 November 1969
Replay Alfreton Town 2–2 Barrow 20 November 1969
Replay Barrow 2–0 Alfreton Town 24 November 1969
23 Halifax Town 3–3 Chester 15 November 1969
Replay Chester 1–0 Halifax Town 19 November 1969
24 Newport County 2–1 Colchester United 15 November 1969
25 Margate 2–7 Aldershot 15 November 1969
26 Cheltenham Town 0–2 Oxford City 15 November 1969
27 Workington 2–1 Rochdale 15 November 1969
28 York City 2–0 Whitby Town 15 November 1969
29 Kettering Town 0–2 Swansea Town 15 November 1969
30 Wigan Athletic 1–1 Port Vale 15 November 1969
Replay Port Vale 2–2 Wigan Athletic 18 November 1969
Replay Port Vale 1–0 Wigan Athletic 24 November 1969
31 Tamworth 2–1 Torquay United 15 November 1969
32 South Shields 2–1 Bradford Park Avenue 15 November 1969
33 Chelmsford City 1–2 Hereford United 15 November 1969
34 Walton & Hersham 0–1 Barnet 15 November 1969
35 Hendon 5–3 Carshalton Athletic 15 November 1969
36 Dagenham 0–1 Sutton United 15 November 1969
37 Falmouth Town 1–4 Peterborough United 15 November 1969
38 Hillingdon Borough 2–0 Wimbledon 15 November 1969
39 Brentwood Town 1–0 Reading 15 November 1969
40 Telford United 0–3 Bristol Rovers 15 November 1969

Second Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 6 December 1969. Seven matches were drawn, with replays taking place later the same week. Two games needed a second replay, and one of these a third.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 1–1 Doncaster Rovers 6 December 1969
Replay Doncaster Rovers 0–2 Chester 9 December 1969
2 Hartlepool 0–1 Wrexham 6 December 1969
3 Barnet 0–2 Sutton United 6 December 1969
4 Gillingham 6–0 Tamworth 6 December 1969
5 Shrewsbury Town 1–2 Mansfield Town 6 December 1969
6 Stockport County 0–0 Scunthorpe United 6 December 1969
Replay Scunthorpe United 4–0 Stockport County 9 December 1969
7 Oxford City 1–5 Swansea Town 6 December 1969
8 Bangor City 0–0 York City 6 December 1969
Replay York City 2–0 Bangor City 9 December 1969
9 Barnsley 3–0 Barrow 6 December 1969
10 Northampton Town 1–1 Exeter City 6 December 1969
Replay Exeter City 0–0 Northampton Town 9 December 1969
Replay Northampton Town 2–1 Exeter City 15 December 1969
11 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–1 Walsall 6 December 1969
Replay Walsall 1–1 Brighton & Hove Albion 9 December 1969
Replay Brighton & Hove Albion 0–0 Walsall 15 December 1969
Replay Brighton & Hove Albion 1–2 Walsall 17 December 1969
12 Bradford City 3–0 Lincoln City 6 December 1969
13 Port Vale 2–2 Tranmere Rovers 6 December 1969
Replay Tranmere Rovers 3–1 Port Vale 8 December 1969
14 Newport County 2–1 Hereford United 6 December 1969
15 Rotherham United 3–0 Workington 6 December 1969
16 Aldershot 3–1 Bristol Rovers 6 December 1969
17 Peterborough United 2–0 Plymouth Argyle 6 December 1969
18 South Shields 0–0 Oldham Athletic 6 December 1969
Replay Oldham Athletic 1–2 South Shields 9 December 1969
19 Hendon 0–2 Brentwood Town 6 December 1969
20 Hillingdon Borough 2–1 Luton Town 6 December 1969

Third Round Proper

The 44 First and Second Division clubs entered the competition at this stage. The matches were scheduled Saturday, 3 January 1970, but three were played at later dates. Nine matches were drawn and went to replays, with one of these requiring a second replay.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 2–1 Bristol City 3 January 1970
2 Burnley 3–0 Wolverhampton Wanderers 3 January 1970
3 Preston North End 1–1 Derby County 3 January 1970
Replay Derby County 4–1 Preston North End 7 January 1970
4 Southampton 3–0 Newcastle United 3 January 1970
5 Gillingham 1–0 Newport County 3 January 1970
6 Leicester City 1–0 Sunderland 3 January 1970
7 Nottingham Forest 0–0 Carlisle United 3 January 1970
Replay Carlisle United 2–1 Nottingham Forest 6 January 1970
8 Blackburn Rovers 0–4 Swindon Town 3 January 1970
9 Aston Villa 1–1 Charlton Athletic 3 January 1970
Replay Charlton Athletic 1–0 Aston Villa 12 January 1970
10 Sheffield Wednesday 2–1 West Bromwich Albion 3 January 1970
11 Bolton Wanderers 1–2 Watford 3 January 1970
12 Middlesbrough 2–1 West Ham United 3 January 1970
13 Sheffield United 2–1 Everton 3 January 1970
14 Ipswich Town 0–1 Manchester United 3 January 1970
15 Queens Park Rangers 4–1 South Shields 3 January 1970
16 Coventry City 1–1 Liverpool 7 January 1970
Replay Liverpool 3–0 Coventry City 12 January 1970
17 Portsmouth 1–2 Tranmere Rovers 3 January 1970
18 Norwich City 1–2 Wrexham 3 January 1970
19 Bradford City 2–2 Tottenham Hotspur 3 January 1970
Replay Tottenham Hotspur 5–0 Bradford City 7 January 1970
20 Hull City 0–1 Manchester City 3 January 1970
21 Crystal Palace 2–0 Walsall 3 January 1970
22 Chelsea 3–0 Birmingham City 3 January 1970
23 Scunthorpe United 2–1 Millwall 3 January 1970
24 Huddersfield Town 1–1 Aldershot 3 January 1970
Replay Aldershot 3–1 Huddersfield Town 12 January 1970
25 Mansfield Town 3–2 Barnsley 3 January 1970
26 Arsenal 1–1 Blackpool 3 January 1970
Replay Blackpool 3–2 Arsenal 15 January 1970
27 Leeds United 2–1 Swansea Town 3 January 1970
28 York City 1–1 Cardiff City 3 January 1970
Replay Cardiff City 1–1 York City 12 January 1970
Replay Cardiff City 1–3 York City 15 January 1970
29 Rotherham United 0–1 Peterborough United 3 January 1970
30 Oxford United 0–0 Stoke City 3 January 1970
Replay Stoke City 3–2 Oxford United 7 January 1970
31 Hillingdon Borough 0–0 Sutton United 6 January 1970
Replay Sutton United 4–1 Hillingdon Borough 12 January 1970
32 Brentwood Town 0–1 Northampton Town 12 January 1970

Fourth Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 24 January 1970. Five matches were drawn, with the replays taking place three or four days later.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Blackpool 0–2 Mansfield Town 24 January 1970
2 Liverpool 3–1 Wrexham 24 January 1970
3 Southampton 1–1 Leicester City 24 January 1970
Replay Leicester City 4–2 Southampton 28 January 1970
4 Sutton United 0–6 Leeds United 24 January 1970
5 Watford 1–0 Stoke City 24 January 1970
6 Gillingham 5–1 Peterborough United 24 January 1970
7 Sheffield Wednesday 1–2 Scunthorpe United 24 January 1970
8 Middlesbrough 4–1 York City 24 January 1970
9 Derby County 3–0 Sheffield United 24 January 1970
10 Swindon Town 4–2 Chester 24 January 1970
11 Tranmere Rovers 0–0 Northampton Town 24 January 1970
Replay Northampton Town 2–1 Tranmere Rovers 27 January 1970
12 Tottenham Hotspur 0–0 Crystal Palace 24 January 1970
Replay Crystal Palace 1–0 Tottenham Hotspur 28 January 1970
13 Manchester United 3–0 Manchester City 24 January 1970
14 Carlisle United 2–2 Aldershot 24 January 1970
Replay Aldershot 1–4 Carlisle United 28 January 1970
15 Chelsea 2–2 Burnley 24 January 1970
Replay Burnley 1–3 Chelsea 27 January 1970
16 Charlton Athletic 2–3 Queens Park Rangers 24 January 1970

Fifth Round Proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 7 February 1970, with one replay played four days later.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 0–0 Leicester City 7 February 1970
Replay Leicester City 0–2 Liverpool 11 February 1970
2 Watford 2–1 Gillingham 7 February 1970
3 Swindon Town 3–1 Scunthorpe United 7 February 1970
4 Queens Park Rangers 1–0 Derby County 7 February 1970
5 Northampton Town 2–8 Manchester United 7 February 1970
6 Carlisle United 1–2 Middlesbrough 7 February 1970
7 Crystal Palace 1–4 Chelsea 7 February 1970
8 Leeds United 2–0 Mansfield Town 7 February 1970

Sixth Round Proper

The four quarter-final ties were played on the 21 February 1970. There was one replay on the following Wednesday.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Watford 1–0 Liverpool 21 February 1970
2 Middlesbrough 1–1 Manchester United 21 February 1970
Replay Manchester United 2–1 Middlesbrough 25 February 1970
3 Swindon Town 0–2 Leeds United 21 February 1970
4 Queens Park Rangers 2–4 Chelsea 21 February 1970


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday, 14 March 1970 with the Manchester United–Leeds United match needing two replays to settle the contest. Leeds and Chelsea came through the semi final round to meet at Wembley.

Manchester United0 – 0Leeds United
Chelsea5 – 1Watford
Webb Goal 3'
Osgood Goal
Houseman Goal Goal
Hutchinson Goal
Report Garbett Goal


Manchester United0 – 0
Leeds United

Second Replay

Manchester United0 – 1Leeds United
Report Bremner Goal 9'

Third place play-off

Between 1970 and 1974, a third place playoff between the two losing semi-finalists was held.[1]

Manchester United2 – 0Watford
Kidd Goal Goal


The 1970 FA Cup Final was contested by Leeds United and Chelsea at Wembley on the 11 April 1970. The match finished as a 2–2 draw after extra time and so went to a replay. The second final match took place at Old Trafford, Manchester on the 29 April 1970. This match finished 1–1 after 90 minutes, again requiring extra time to be played before Chelsea finished as the victors.

Chelsea2 – 2
Leeds United
Houseman Goal 41'
Hutchinson Goal 86'
Report Charlton Goal 20'
Jones Goal 84'


Chelsea2 – 1
Leeds United
Osgood Goal 78'
Webb Goal 104'
Report Jones Goal 35'


  1. ^ The annual ENGLAND v YOUNG ENGLAND fixture is replaced by an F.A. Cup match - the 3rd and 4th Place Play-Off., Football Site.
1968–69 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1969–70 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 66th in the Football League and their 28th in the Second Division. They made a poor start, suffering seven defeats in the first nine matches, but an improved second half of the season led to a seventh-place finish in the 22-team division. They entered the 1969–70 FA Cup in the third round proper, reaching the fifth round in which they lost to Manchester United after a replay, and were beaten by Chelsea in their opening second-round match in the League Cup.

Twenty-three players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were twelve different goalscorers. Midfielder Johnny Vincent played in 46 of the 48 first-team matches over the season. Fred Pickering and Phil Summerill finished as joint leading goalscorers with 17 goals in all competitions; the best goal return in League competition was Summerill's 16.

1969–70 Birmingham City F.C. season

The 1969–70 Football League season was Birmingham City Football Club's 67th in the Football League and their 29th in the Second Division. They finished in 18th position in the 22-team division. They entered the 1969–70 FA Cup in the third round proper and the League Cup in the second round; they lost their opening match in each competition, to Chelsea and Brighton & Hove Albion respectively.

Stan Cullis resigned as manager and retired from football in March 1970, and chief scout Don Dorman and coach Bill Shorthouse finished the playing season as caretaker managers. After unsuccessful approaches were made to Don Revie, Brian Clough and Ronnie Allen, Brighton & Hove Albion manager Freddie Goodwin took on the job at the end of May.Twenty players made at least one appearance in nationally organised first-team competition, and there were eleven different goalscorers. Defenders Ray Martin and Bobby Thomson played in all 44 first-team matches over the season. Phil Summerill finished as leading goalscorer for the second successive season, with 13 goals, all of which came in league competition.

1969–70 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1969–70 is the 89th season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualifying rounds. The 30 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1970 FA Cup Final

The 1970 FA Cup Final was contested by Chelsea and Leeds United. The match took place on 11 April 1970 at Wembley Stadium and ended 2–2, making it the first FA Cup final to require a replay since 1912. The replay was staged at Old Trafford and played on 29 April; after four hours of fiercely contested football, Chelsea eventually won 2–1. As of 2018, both the final and replay were the last times that FA Cup final ties were played in April; all subsequent FA Cup final ties have been played in May.

Leeds and Chelsea were two of England's top teams that season, having finished 2nd and 3rd respectively in the First Division. The match marked a clash of footballing contrasts: Chelsea were regarded as "flamboyant" southerners, whereas Leeds were seen as uncompromising northerners. Neither had won the FA Cup before, though both had recently been runners-up, Leeds in 1965 and Chelsea in 1967.

It was the only time between 1923 and 2000 that an FA Cup Final was played at a stadium other than Wembley. The replay attracted a British television audience of over 28 million, the second highest UK audience for a sports broadcast (behind the 1966 World Cup Final), and the sixth highest audience for any UK broadcast. It has been ranked among the greatest ever FA Cup finals.

Barry Endean

Barry Endean (born 22 March 1946) is an English former professional footballer. He signed for Everton as a youngster but was released by the club. He returned to the professional game six years later with Watford, and went on to play for Charlton Athletic, Blackburn Rovers, Huddersfield Town, Workington and Hartlepool United.

Bill Shankly

William Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981) was a Scottish football player and manager, who is best known for his time as manager of Liverpool. Shankly brought success to Liverpool, gaining promotion to the First Division and winning three League Championships and the UEFA Cup. He laid foundations on which his successors Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan were able to build by winning seven league titles and four European Cups in the ten seasons after Shankly retired in 1974.

Shankly came from a small Scottish mining community and was one of five brothers who played football professionally. He played as a ball-winning right-half and was capped twelve times for Scotland, including seven wartime internationals. He spent one season at Carlisle United before spending the rest of his career at Preston North End, with whom he won the FA Cup in 1938. His playing career was interrupted by his service in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War. He became a manager after he retired from playing in 1949, returning to Carlisle United. He later managed Grimsby Town, Workington and Huddersfield Town before moving to become Liverpool manager in December 1959.

Shankly took charge of Liverpool when they were in the Second Division and rebuilt the team into a major force in English and European football. He led Liverpool to the Second Division Championship to gain promotion to the top-flight First Division in 1962, before going on to win three First Division Championships, two FA Cups, four Charity Shields and one UEFA Cup. Shankly announced his surprise retirement from football a few weeks after Liverpool had won the 1974 FA Cup Final, having managed the club for 15 years, and was succeeded by his long-time assistant Bob Paisley. He led the Liverpool team out for the last time at Wembley for the 1974 FA Charity Shield. He died seven years later, aged 68.

Billy Jennings

Billy Jennings (born 20 February 1952) is an English former footballer who played as a striker in the Football League for Watford, West Ham United, Leyton Orient and Luton Town. He also played in the North American Soccer League for Chicago Sting.

A former youth player with Watford, Jennings made his professional debut for the Hornets on 10 April 1970, a third place play-off game against Manchester United in the 1969–70 FA Cup campaign at Highbury which the team lost 2–0. He made 10 League appearances that season, 16 in 1971–72, and 19 in 1972–73.The 1973–74 season ended with Jennings as Third Division top scorer on 26 goals, and Watford Player of the Season. After 100 appearances for Watford, and England Youth international honours, Jennings signed for West Ham United for £110,000 in September 1974, an early signing for new manager John Lyall. The fee was almost double Watford's previous record for a received transfer fee, and was £5,000 less that West Ham's record spend.Jennings scored on his Hammers debut on 7 September 1974, against Sheffield United, and was a member of the FA Cup winning team of 1974–75. The following season, West Ham got to the Final of the European Cup Winners' Cup, with Jennings scoring two goals in the away leg of club's quarter-final. The second-leg home game against ADO Den Haag saw the Hammers score three, to bring the aggregate score to 5–5, and go through on away goals.In 1977, Jennings spent three months on loan at NASL club Chicago Sting, playing with fellow Englishmen Ronnie Moore and Willie Morgan. On his return, he suffererd an Achilles injury, after which he failed to hold on to a regular place in the West Ham team. After 127 league and cup appearances and 41 goals for West Ham, he moved to Leyton Orient in August 1979.Jennings scored 26 goals in 78 appearances for Orient before moving to Luton Town. Although he retired after two substitute appearances for the Hatters, he later played for Isthmian League clubs Dagenham, Bishop's Stortford and Heybridge Swifts.Jennings later worked as a football agent, running the Premier Management agency, whose clients included former West Ham players Hayden Mullins and Kevin Nolan. He left the company in 2005.

Cambridge United F.C.

Cambridge United Football Club is a professional association football club based in the city of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England. The team compete in League Two, the fourth tier of the English football league system. The club is based at the Abbey Stadium on Newmarket Road, approximately 1.86 miles (3 kilometres) east of Cambridge city centre. The stadium has a capacity of 8,127, made up of terracing and seated areas.

The club was founded in 1912 as Abbey United, and took the name Cambridge United in 1951. They played in local amateur leagues before joining the Southern League after finishing as runners-up of the Eastern Counties League in 1957–58. Under Bill Leivers's stewardship they were crowned Southern League Premier Division champions in 1968–69 and 1969–70, which helped to secure their election into the Football League in 1970. They won promotion out of the Fourth Division in 1972–73, but suffered immediate relegation. They won the Fourth Division title in 1976–77, and then secured promotion out of the Third Division the following season. They remained in the Second Division for six seasons, before they suffered consecutive relegations.

Manager John Beck led United to promotion out of the Fourth Division via play-offs in 1990 and then the Third Division title in 1990–91, with the club reaching the Second Division play-offs the following season. Two relegations in three years left Cambridge back in the fourth tier, before promotion was secured at the end of the 1998–99 campaign. They entered the Conference in 2005 after two relegations in four seasons, where they remained for nine seasons. They finished as runners-up of the Conference three times, but were beaten in the play-off finals in 2008 and 2009, before eventually securing promotion after winning the 2014 play-off final.

Although the club has traditionally worn amber and black at home, it has experimented with a number of designs of shirts including plain amber with black trim, amber and black squares, stripes and, amber with a black sash. The club had close links with Cambridge Regional College, a team that operated as a de facto reserve team between 2006 and 2014. The Cambridge United Community Trust perform a lot of charity work in the local community.

Colin Franks

Colin James Franks (born 16 April 1951) is an English former footballer. At the start of his career he played predominantly as a midfielder, but he was increasingly used as a defender towards the end of his career.Born in Wembley, Franks started his career as an amateur in the North London and Hertfordshire area, with Boreham Wood, Uxbridge and Wealdstone. He turned professional in 1969, joining newly promoted Second Division side Watford. Although largely a reserve during his first two seasons at the club, he played a part in Watford's run to the semi-finals of the 1969–70 FA Cup, and played in the third place play-off match.Franks established himself as a regular in the Watford first team in the 1971–72 season with 44 appearances, but his team were unable to stave off relegation to the Third Division. Nonetheless, Franks consolidated on his individual progress in 1972–73, playing all 50 competitive Watford fixtures and finishing second in the inaugural Watford F.C. Player of the Season vote. At the end of the season, he transferred to First Division Sheffield United for a fee of £60,000.After six years and 150 league appearances for United, Franks joined Canadian North American Soccer League franchise Toronto Blizzard for the start of their 1979 season. He played for them in both the North American Soccer League and NASL indoor. He finished his career with a brief spell at Edmonton Drillers.

Don Welbourne

Donald "Welbourne (born 12 March 1949) is an English former professional footballer who made more than 250 appearances in the Football League playing as a central defender for Scunthorpe United. He also played in the North American Soccer League (NASL) for the Boston Minutemen.

FA Cup Third-fourth place matches

The FA Cup Third-fourth place matches were played to determine the order of third and fourth place in the FA Cup. They were introduced in 1970 replacing the traditional pre-final match between England and Young England. They were generally unpopular and were only played for five seasons. The 1972 and 1973 matches were played at the start of the following season and the 1974 match five days after the final. The 1972 match was the first FA Cup match to be decided on penalties.

Gander Green Lane

Gander Green Lane, currently known as the Knights Community Stadium for sponsorship reasons, is a football stadium in Sutton, south London, and the home ground of Sutton United. The record attendance for Gander Green Lane is 14,000 when Sutton United lost 6–0 to Leeds United in the fourth round of the 1969–70 FA Cup.In recent times, the pitch has played host to England C team and FA Sunday Cup matches. It is a FIFA 2-Star quality pitch, FIFA's highest rating for 3G artificial pitches.

Geoff Strong

Geoffrey Hugh Strong (19 September 1937 – 17 June 2013) was an English professional footballer who scored 98 goals from 313 appearances in the Football League playing for Arsenal, Liverpool and Coventry City. He began his career as an inside forward, but went on to occupy every outfield position.

Glastonbury F.C.

Glastonbury F.C. is a football club based in Glastonbury, England. The club is affiliated to the Somerset County FA. The club are currently members of the Somerset County League Division Two and play at the Abbey Moor Stadium.

Gordon West

Gordon West (24 April 1943 — 10 June 2012) was an English professional football goalkeeper. He won three international caps in a career that included a long stint at Everton.

Harry Catterick

Harry Catterick (26 November 1919 – 9 March 1985) was an English football player and manager. As a player Catterick played for Everton and Crewe Alexandra, in a career that was interrupted by World War II, but he is most notable as a manager. After spells with Crewe, Rochdale and Sheffield Wednesday, with whom he won the Football League Second Division title, he took over at Everton and won the Football League twice and the FA Cup with the Merseyside club and is regarded as one of Everton's most successful managers. He finished his managerial career at Preston North End.

List of Sutton United F.C. seasons

Sutton United Football Club, an association football club based in Sutton in the London Borough of Sutton, England, was founded in 1898 as a merger between Sutton Guild Rovers and Sutton Association Football Clubs. They were elected to play in the Athenian League for the 1921–22 season. They won the Athenian League title on three occasions and were runners-up once. After thirty-seven seasons in the Athenian League, they joined the Isthmian League (given the subtitle First Division in 1973 and then Premier Division in 1977). The club spent twenty-three seasons in the league, during that spell they won the title twice, reached the fourth round of the 1969–70 FA Cup, and reached the 1981 FA Trophy Final losing 1–0 to Bishop's Stortford. In 1986 they won the first promotion in their history as champions of the Isthmian League, moving up to the Football Conference.

United's third season in the Conference saw them reach the fourth round of the FA Cup for the second time in their history during the 1988–89 edition; their third round tie was a 2–1 victory over First Division side Coventry City, one of the biggest shocks in the competition. In 1991 United's spell in the conference was ended with relegation back to the Isthmian League Premier Division. The club finished the 1998–99 Isthmian League season as champions returning to the Conference after an eight-year absence. United's second spell in the Conference lasted a single season finishing the 1999–2000 Football Conference in last place. Up to 2004 the Conference was one division, but restructuring of the National League System saw two new divisions added, Conference North and Conference South, with many Isthmian League members transferred to these new divisions; for the 2004–05 season Sutton United were transferred to the South division.After four seasons United experienced the third relegation of their history, rejoining the Isthmian Premier League. Their first season back saw them qualify for their first play-offs losing 3–0 in the semi-final to Staines Town. United reached the play-offs in the following season losing in the semi-finals again, this time 4–2 to Kingstonian. United's ended their third season as champions of the Isthmian Premier League and were promoted to the Conference South. Their five season spell in the Conference South included two more failed play-off attempts. For the 2015–16 season the division was renamed National League South (with Conference Premier and Conference North also renamed) and United finished as champions with promotion to the National League. The 2016–17 season saw Sutton reach the fifth round of the FA Cup which is their furthest run in the competition and they became the ninth non-league team to reach this stage; they were drawn at home to Premier League side Arsenal and were defeated 2–0.

Sutton United F.C.

Sutton United Football Club is a football club in Sutton, South London, England, who play in the National League, the fifth tier of English football. They play home games at Gander Green Lane, close to West Sutton Station. The club is an FA Charter Standard Community Club affiliated to the Surrey County Football Association.Sutton started out playing in junior, local leagues, but progressed into the Athenian League in 1921; the Isthmian League in 1964; and the Conference in 1986. The team fell back into the Isthmian League in 1991. They appeared in the Conference for one more season in 1999–2000, and were founding members of the Conference South (now known as National League South) in 2004. Sutton won the National League South in 2015–16 and since 2016–17 have competed in the National League, one tier below the Football League.

The team has had several cup successes, including playing at Wembley in the FA Amateur Cup final twice and in the FA Trophy final in 1981. Sutton won the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1979, but the club is most famous for its FA Cup "giant killing" exploits, most notably in the 1988–89 season, when they defeated Coventry City 2–1 in the 3rd Round. The Coventry team was composed mostly of star international players and had won the competition in 1987. In the 2016–17 season, Sutton reached the 5th Round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history, beating three Football League teams (Cheltenham Town, AFC Wimbledon and Leeds United) before losing 2–0 at home to Arsenal.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
196970 in European football (UEFA)
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
League cups
UEFA competitions
Non-UEFA competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.