1968–69 FA Cup

The 1968–69 FA Cup was the 88th season of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Manchester City won the competition for the fourth time, beating Leicester City 1–0 in the final at Wembley, through a goal from Neil Young.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played. The 1968–69 tournament was remarkable in that no second replays were required at any point throughout the main event.

1968–69 FA Cup
Country England
Defending championsWest Bromwich Albion
ChampionsManchester City
(4th title)
Runners-upLeicester City


Round Date
Preliminary round Saturday, 7 September 1968
First qualifying round Saturday, 21 September 1968
Second qualifying round Saturday, 5 October 1968
Third qualifying round Saturday, 19 October 1968
Fourth qualifying round Saturday, 2 November 1968
First round proper Saturday, 16 November 1968
Second round proper Saturday, 7 December 1968
Third round proper Saturday, 4 January 1969
Fourth round proper Saturday, 25 January 1969
Fifth round proper Saturday, 8 February 1969
Sixth round proper Saturday, 1 March 1969
Semi-finals Saturday, 22 March 1969
Final Saturday, 26 April 1969


First round proper

At this stage clubs from the Football League Third and Fourth Divisions joined those non-league clubs having come through the qualifying rounds. Matches were scheduled to be played on Saturday, 16 November 1968. Ten were drawn and went to replays two, three or four days later.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chesterfield 2–0 Skelmersdale United 16 November 1968
2 Darlington 2–0 Grimsby Town 16 November 1968
3 Dartford 3–1 Aldershot 16 November 1968
4 Hartlepool 1–1 Rotherham United 16 November 1968
Replay Rotherham United 3–0 Hartlepool 19 November 1968
5 Barnet 1–1 Brentwood Town 16 November 1968
Replay Brentwood Town 1–0 Barnet 18 November 1968
6 Grantham 2–1 Chelmsford City 16 November 1968
7 Weymouth 2–1 Yeovil Town 16 November 1968
8 Reading 1–0 Plymouth Argyle 16 November 1968
9 Macclesfield Town 1–3 Lincoln City 16 November 1968
10 Luton Town 6–1 Ware F.C. 16 November 1968
11 Swindon Town 1–0 Canterbury City 16 November 1968
12 Shrewsbury Town 1–1 Port Vale 16 November 1968
Replay Port Vale 3–1 Shrewsbury Town 18 November 1968
13 Doncaster Rovers 1–0 Notts County 16 November 1968
14 Wrexham 4–2 Oldham Athletic 16 November 1968
15 Tranmere Rovers 0–1 Southport 16 November 1968
16 Stockport County 3–0 Bradford Park Avenue 16 November 1968
17 Oxford City 2–3 Swansea Town 16 November 1968
18 Leytonstone 0–1 Walsall 16 November 1968
19 Bangor City 2–3 Morecambe 16 November 1968
20 Barnsley 0–0 Rochdale 16 November 1968
Replay Rochdale 0–1 Barnsley 18 November 1968
21 Brentford 2–0 Woking 16 November 1968
22 Bristol Rovers 3–1 Peterborough United 16 November 1968
23 Northampton Town 3–1 Margate 16 November 1968
24 Brighton & Hove Albion 2–2 Kidderminster Harriers 16 November 1968
Replay Kidderminster Harriers 0–1 Brighton & Hove Albion 20 November 1968
25 Bradford City 1–2 Chester 16 November 1968
26 Goole Town 1–3 Barrow 16 November 1968
27 Altrincham 0–1 Crewe Alexandra 16 November 1968
28 Southend United 9–0 King's Lynn 16 November 1968
29 Exeter City 0–0 Newport County 16 November 1968
Replay Newport County 1–3 Exeter City 18 November 1968
30 Mansfield Town 4–1 Tow Law Town 16 November 1968
31 Wealdstone 1–1 St Albans City 16 November 1968
Replay St Albans City 1–0 Wealdstone 19 November 1968
32 Cheltenham Town 0–4 Watford 16 November 1968
33 Workington 2–0 Scunthorpe United 16 November 1968
34 Hereford United 0–0 Torquay United 16 November 1968
Replay Torquay United 4–2 Hereford United 20 November 1968
35 Bury Town 0–0 Bournemouth 16 November 1968
Replay Bournemouth 3–0 Bury Town 20 November 1968
36 South Shields 0–6 York City 16 November 1968
37 Colchester United 5–0 Chesham United 16 November 1968
38 Bilston 1–3 Halifax Town 16 November 1968
39 Waterlooville 1–2 Kettering Town 16 November 1968
40 Orient 1–1 Gillingham 16 November 1968
Replay Gillingham 2–1 Orient 20 November 1968

Second round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 7 December 1968. Nine matches were drawn, with replays taking place later the same week.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Chester 1–1 Lincoln City 7 December 1968
Replay Lincoln City 2–1 Chester 11 December 1968
2 Chesterfield 2–1 Wrexham 7 December 1968
3 Darlington 0–0 Barnsley 7 December 1968
Replay Barnsley 1–0 Darlington 10 December 1968
4 Bournemouth 0–0 Bristol Rovers 7 December 1968
Replay Bristol Rovers 1–0 Bournemouth 10 December 1968
5 Grantham 0–2 Swindon Town 7 December 1968
6 Watford 1–0 Brentford 7 December 1968
7 Weymouth 1–1 Swansea Town 7 December 1968
Replay Swansea Town 2–0 Weymouth 10 December 1968
8 Reading 0–0 Torquay United 7 December 1968
Replay Torquay United 1–2 Reading 11 December 1968
9 Luton Town 3–1 Gillingham 7 December 1968
10 Doncaster Rovers 2–1 Southport 7 December 1968
11 Stockport County 2–0 Barrow 7 December 1968
12 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–2 Northampton Town 7 December 1968
13 Southend United 10–1 Brentwood Town 7 December 1968
14 St Albans City 1–1 Walsall 7 December 1968
Replay Walsall 3–1 St Albans City 10 December 1968
15 Port Vale 0–0 Workington 7 December 1968
Replay Workington 1–2 Port Vale 11 December 1968
16 Halifax Town 1–1 Crewe Alexandra 7 December 1968
Replay Crewe Alexandra 1–3 Halifax Town 11 December 1968
17 York City 2–0 Morecambe 7 December 1968
18 Kettering Town 5–0 Dartford 7 December 1968
19 Rotherham United 2–2 Mansfield Town 7 December 1968
Replay Mansfield Town 1–0 Rotherham United 9 December 1968
20 Colchester United 0–1 Exeter City 7 December 1968

Third round proper

The 44 First and Second Division clubs entered the competition at this stage. The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 4 January 1969. Seven matches were drawn and went to replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Burnley 3–1 Derby County 4 January 1969
2 Bury 1–2 Huddersfield Town 4 January 1969
3 Liverpool 2–0 Doncaster Rovers 4 January 1969
4 Preston North End 3–0 Nottingham Forest 4 January 1969
5 Watford 2–0 Port Vale 4 January 1969
6 Walsall 0–1 Tottenham Hotspur 4 January 1969
7 Blackburn Rovers 2–0 Stockport County 4 January 1969
8 Aston Villa 2–1 Queens Park Rangers 4 January 1969
9 Sheffield Wednesday 1–1 Leeds United 4 January 1969
Replay Leeds United 1–3 Sheffield Wednesday 8 January 1969
10 Bolton Wanderers 2–1 Northampton Town 4 January 1969
11 Middlesbrough 1–1 Millwall 4 January 1969
Replay Millwall 1–0 Middlesbrough 6 January 1969
12 West Bromwich Albion 3–0 Norwich City 4 January 1969
13 Sunderland 1–4 Fulham 4 January 1969
14 Everton 2–1 Ipswich Town 4 January 1969
15 Swindon Town 0–2 Southend United 4 January 1969
16 Newcastle United 4–0 Reading 4 January 1969
17 Manchester City 1–0 Luton Town 4 January 1969
18 Barnsley 1–1 Leicester City 4 January 1969
Replay Leicester City 2–1 Barnsley 8 January 1969
19 Bristol Rovers 1–1 Kettering Town 4 January 1969
Replay Kettering Town 1–2 Bristol Rovers 8 January 1969
20 Coventry City 3–1 Blackpool 4 January 1969
21 Portsmouth 3–0 Chesterfield 4 January 1969
22 West Ham United 3–2 Bristol City 4 January 1969
23 Hull City 1–3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 4 January 1969
24 Chelsea 2–0 Carlisle United 4 January 1969
25 Exeter City 1–3 Manchester United 4 January 1969
26 Mansfield Town 2–1 Sheffield United 4 January 1969
27 Cardiff City 0–0 Arsenal 4 January 1969
Replay Arsenal 2–0 Cardiff City 7 January 1969
28 Swansea Town 0–1 Halifax Town 4 January 1969
29 Charlton Athletic 0–0 Crystal Palace 4 January 1969
Replay Crystal Palace 0–2 Charlton Athletic 8 January 1969
30 York City 0–2 Stoke City 4 January 1969
31 Birmingham City 2–1 Lincoln City 4 January 1969
32 Oxford United 1–1 Southampton 4 January 1969
Replay Southampton 2–0 Oxford United 8 January 1969

Fourth round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 25 January 1969. Six matches were drawn and went to replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Liverpool 2–1 Burnley 25 January 1969
2 Preston North End 0–0 Chelsea 25 January 1969
Replay Chelsea 2–1 Preston North End 3 February 1969
3 Southampton 2–2 Aston Villa 25 January 1969
Replay Aston Villa 2–1 Southampton 29 January 1969
4 Blackburn Rovers 4–0 Portsmouth 25 January 1969
5 Sheffield Wednesday 2–2 Birmingham City 25 January 1969
Replay Birmingham City 2–1 Sheffield Wednesday 28 January 1969
6 Bolton Wanderers 1–2 Bristol Rovers 25 January 1969
7 Everton 2–0 Coventry City 25 January 1969
8 Newcastle United 0–0 Manchester City 25 January 1969
Replay Manchester City 2–0 Newcastle United 29 January 1969
9 Tottenham Hotspur 2–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 25 January 1969
10 Fulham 1–2 West Bromwich Albion 25 January 1969
11 Manchester United 1–1 Watford 25 January 1969
Replay Watford 0–2 Manchester United 3 February 1969
12 Millwall 0–1 Leicester City 25 January 1969
13 Huddersfield Town 0–2 West Ham United 25 January 1969
14 Mansfield Town 2–1 Southend United 25 January 1969
15 Arsenal 2–0 Charlton Athletic 25 January 1969
16 Stoke City 1–1 Halifax Town 25 January 1969
Replay Halifax Town 0–3 Stoke City 28 January 1969

Fifth round proper

The matches were scheduled for Saturday, 8 February 1969. However, for the first time in history, the entire fifth round draw for the FA Cup was unable to be played due to heavy snowfall across England,[1] and the matches were replayed at various times after this date. Most took place by the following Wednesday (one of these requiring a replay), two were played a fortnight later, but the final match was not played until 1 March and required a replay two days later.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Leicester City 0–0 Liverpool 1 March 1969
Replay Liverpool 0–1 Leicester City 3 March 1969
2 Blackburn Rovers 1–4 Manchester City 24 February 1969
3 West Bromwich Albion 1–0 Arsenal 12 February 1969
4 Everton 1–0 Bristol Rovers 12 February 1969
5 Tottenham Hotspur 3–2 Aston Villa 12 February 1969
6 Chelsea 3–2 Stoke City 12 February 1969
7 Mansfield Town 3–0 West Ham United 26 February 1969
8 Birmingham City 2–2 Manchester United 11 February 1969
Replay Manchester United 6–2 Birmingham City 24 February 1969

Sixth round proper

The four quarter-final ties were scheduled to be played on 1 March 1969, although due to the late completion of Leicester City's fifth round tie, their match with Mansfield Town was not played until 8 March. There were no replays.

Tie no Home team Score Away team Date
1 Manchester City 1–0 Tottenham Hotspur 1 March 1969
2 Manchester United 0–1 Everton 1 March 1969
3 Chelsea 1–2 West Bromwich Albion 1 March 1969
4 Mansfield Town 0–1 Leicester City 8 March 1969


The semi-final matches were played on Saturday 22 March and Saturday 29 March 1969.

Leicester City1–0West Bromwich Albion
Clarke Goal 86' Report
Manchester City1–0Everton
Booth Goal 87' Report


The 1969 FA Cup Final was contested by Manchester City and Leicester City at Wembley on Saturday 26 April 1969. The match finished 1–0 to Manchester City who, behind West Ham United in 1975, are the second-last all-English team to win the FA Cup.

Manchester City1–0
Leicester City
Young Goal 24' (Report)
Manchester City
Leicester City


  1. ^ "The Times Archive". London: Times Newspapers Ltd. 1969-02-10. Retrieved 2008-09-02.
1968–69 FA Cup qualifying rounds

The FA Cup 1968–69 is the 88th season of the world's oldest football knockout competition; The Football Association Challenge Cup, or FA Cup for short. The large number of clubs entering the tournament from lower down the English football league system meant that the competition started with a number of preliminary and qualifying rounds. The 30 victorious teams from the Fourth Round Qualifying progressed to the First Round Proper.

1969 FA Cup Final

The 1969 FA Cup Final was the final match of the 1968–69 staging of English football's primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, better known as the FA Cup. The match was contested between Leicester City and Manchester City at Wembley Stadium in London on Saturday 26 April 1969. This was the first FA Cup final since 1951 to take place in the month of April. Three-time winners Manchester City were appearing in their seventh final, whereas Leicester City were seeking to win the competition for the first time, having lost three previous finals.

Each team won six ties to reach the final, and overcame one of the 1968 finalists (West Bromwich Albion and Everton) at the semi-final stage. As Manchester City were reigning league champions and Leicester City were battling to avoid relegation, the Manchester club were strong favourites. The match finished 1–0 to Manchester City. The goal came in the 24th minute, scored by Neil Young. The victory was Manchester City's fourth FA Cup win.

Barry Endean

Barry Endean (born 22 March 1946) is an English former professional footballer. He signed for Everton as a youngster but was released by the club. He returned to the professional game six years later with Watford, and went on to play for Charlton Athletic, Blackburn Rovers, Huddersfield Town, Workington and Hartlepool United.

Bert Linnecor

Albert Roy Linnecor (30 November 1933 – 25 November 2012) was an English professional footballer who made 281 appearances in the Football League playing for Birmingham City and Lincoln City. He played as a wing half or inside forward.

Hillingdon Borough F.C.

For the administrative area see London Borough of Hillingdon.Hillingdon Borough Football Club are a semi-professional football club based in Ruislip, in the London Borough of Hillingdon. The club is affiliated to the Middlesex County Football Association. It was also the name of a now-extinct club that existed between 1965 and 1987. They currently play in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One.

History of Manchester City F.C. (1965–2001)

This page chronicles the history of Manchester City in further detail from 1965 to 2001. See History of Manchester City F.C. for a history overview of Manchester City.

Jack Charlton

John Charlton, (born 8 May 1935) is an English former footballer and manager who played as a defender. He was part of the England team that won the 1966 World Cup. He is the elder brother of former Manchester United forward Bobby Charlton, who was also a teammate in England's World Cup final victory. He spent his entire club career with Leeds United from 1950 to 1973, helping the club to the Second Division title (1963–64), First Division title (1968–69), FA Cup (1972), League Cup (1968), Charity Shield (1969), Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (1968 and 1971), as well as one other promotion from the Second Division (1955–56) and five second-place finishes in the First Division, two FA Cup final defeats and one Inter-Cities Fairs Cup final defeat. His 629 league and 762 total competitive appearances are club records. In 2006, Leeds United supporters voted Charlton into the club's greatest ever XI.Called up to the England team days before his 30th birthday, Charlton went on to score six goals in 35 international games and to appear in two World Cups and one European Championship. He played in the World Cup final victory over West Germany in 1966, and also helped England to finish third in Euro 1968 and to win four British Home Championship tournaments. He was named FWA Footballer of the Year in 1967.

After retiring as a player he worked as a manager, and led Middlesbrough to the Second Division title in 1973–74, winning the Manager of the Year award in his first season as a manager. He kept Boro as a stable top-flight club before he resigned in April 1977. He took charge of Sheffield Wednesday in October 1977, and led the club to promotion out of the Third Division in 1979–80. He left the Owls in May 1983, and went on to serve Middlesbrough as caretaker-manager at the end of the 1983–84 season. He worked as Newcastle United manager for the 1984–85 season. He took charge of the Republic of Ireland national team in February 1986, and led them to their first ever World Cup in 1990, where they reached the quarter-finals. He also led the nation to successful qualification to Euro 1988 and the 1994 World Cup. He resigned in January 1996 and went into retirement. He is married with three children.

Johnny Quigley

John Quigley (28 June 1935 – 30 November 2004) was a Scottish football midfielder and coach. His career peaked winning the 1959 FA Cup Final with Nottingham Forest.

Kettering Town F.C.

Kettering Town Football Club is a football club representing Kettering, Northamptonshire, England. They are currently members of the National League North and play at Latimer Park in nearby Burton Latimer. Kettering were the first club to wear sponsorship upon their shirts in 1976, and as of 2015, were the leading FA Cup goalscorers of all time.

List of Mansfield Town F.C. seasons

Mansfield Town Football Club is an English association football club based in the Nottinghamshire town of Mansfield. Founded in 1897 as Mansfield Wesleyans, the team first entered the Mansfield & District Amateur League in 1902. Four years later, the club turned professional, tweaked its name to Mansfield Wesley, and joined the Notts & District League. The team made their debut in the FA Cup in 1909–10, and joined the Central Alliance in 1911, by which time the club had adopted its current name of Mansfield Town. In the first post-First World War season, they moved to the Field Mill ground and won the Central Alliance title, and in 1921, they were accepted into the Midland League. Three years later, they won the Midland League title, repeated the feat the following year, and were runners-up the next. Applications for election to the Football League were unsuccessful, but in the hope of a better class of football, they had one season in the Midland Combination, primarily a reserve league for Football League clubs, before returning to the Midland League. In 1928–29, Mansfield won the Midland League title by a nine-point margin and beat two Football League clubs on the way to their first appearance in the fourth round of the FA Cup, in which they lost 2–0 to Arsenal at Highbury.Geographically, Mansfield lay on the border between the catchment areas of the Northern and Southern sections of the regionalised Third Division of the League. They had previously applied for election to the Northern Section; for the 1931–32 season, they applied to the Southern Section, and were admitted. After one season, in which they struggled, the team was reallocated to the Northern Section, before returning to the Southern in 1937. Competitive football was suspended for the duration of the Second World War. Mansfield finished 22nd and bottom in the first post-war season, and thus had to apply for re-election to the League. The management committee decided that in light of the difficult circumstances facing all clubs in resuming competitive professional football after the war, all clubs facing re-election should be accepted unopposed. Mansfield were transferred to the Northern Section for 1947–48. Three seasons later, they finished runners-up – at that time, only the champions were promoted – and reached the fifth round (last 16) of the FA Cup for the first time, losing to First Division team and eventual cup finalists Blackpool. Against a background of financial and governance problems that brought the club close to bankruptcy, Mansfield remained in the Northern Section until the regional sections were amalgamated into national Third and Fourth Divisions in 1958, when they were placed in the Third Division.Two years later, Mansfield were relegated for the first time in their history. In their third season in the fourth tier, they finished fourth and were promoted on goal average, ahead of Gillingham by 0.118 of a goal. After a further nine years in the Third – during which time they reached the 1968–69 FA Cup quarter-final, which remains their best achievement in the competition – and three in the Fourth Divisions, Mansfield won their first title at Football League level, taking the 1974–75 Fourth Division by a six-point margin. A season of consolidation, whose highlights included progressing to the quarter-final of the League Cup and the first of two Anglo-Scottish Cup semi-finals, preceded another championship: the 1976–77 Third Division title gained Mansfield promotion to the Football League Second Division for the first and as yet only time. They could not maintain that status, and for the next thirty years continued to drift between third and fourth tiers, during which time they won the 1986–87 Associate Members' Cup, a cup competition open to teams from the lowest two tiers of the League; Mansfield beat Bristol City in a penalty shoot-out in the final. In 2007–08, they finished 23rd in the fourth tier and were relegated out of the Football League into the Conference National (promotion and relegation between League and Conference had replaced re-election in 1987). They reached the final of the 2010–11 FA Trophy, losing to Darlington in the last minute of extra time, before returning to the League as Conference champions in 2013.Since their admission to the Football League, Mansfield Town have spent 1 season in the second tier of the English football league system, 42 in the third, 32 in the fourth, and 5 in the top tier of non-league football. The table details the team's achievements and their top goalscorer in senior first-team competitions from their debut season in the Mansfield & District Amateur League in 1902–03 to the end of the most recently completed season.

Mansfield Town F.C.

Mansfield Town Football Club is a professional football club based in the town of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England. The team compete in League Two, the fourth tier of the English football league system. Nicknamed 'The Stags', they play in a royal blue and amber kit. Since 1919, Mansfield have played at Field Mill, which is now an all-seater stadium with a capacity of 9,186. Their main rivals are Chesterfield and Notts County.

The club was formed in 1897 as Mansfield Wesleyans and entered the Mansfield & District Amateur League in 1902, before changing its name to Mansfield Wesley and joining the Notts & District League in 1906. They then finally became Mansfield Town in 1910, and moved from the Notts & Derbyshire League to the Central Alliance the following year. Crowned Alliance champions in 1919–20, they joined the Midland League in 1921 and would win this league on three occasions – 1923–24, 1924–25 and 1928–29 – before they were admitted into the Football League in 1931. They were relegated out of the Third Division in 1960, but won promotion out of the Fourth Division in 1962–63, remaining in the third tier for nine seasons until their relegation in 1972. They reached the Second Division for the first time after winning the Fourth Division title in 1974–75 and the Third Division title in 1976–77, only to suffer two relegations in three seasons.

Promoted out of the Fourth Division under the stewardship of Ian Greaves in 1985–86, they went on to win the Football League Trophy in 1986–87. Mansfield were however relegated in 1991 and promoted again in 1991–92, only to suffer an immediate relegation the following season. They won promotion once again in 2001–02, but were relegated to League Two in 2003 and lost their Football League status with a further relegation in 2008. They spent four seasons in the Conference until they were promoted back into the Football League after winning the Conference in 2012–13 following investment from new club owner John Radford.

Peter Thompson (footballer, born 1942)

Peter Thompson (27 November 1942 – 30 December 2018) was an English footballer. Born in Carlisle, he made 560 appearances in the Football League playing for Preston North End, Liverpool and Bolton Wanderers. He played as an outside left for the Liverpool team which had major successes in the 1960s, and was capped 16 times for England. He was known for his speedy and electric style of play.As a member of the initial England squad ahead of the 1970 FIFA World Cup, Thompson was involved in the Bogotá Bracelet incident. By some accounts he was in or around the Green Fire jewellery shop when Bobby Moore was alleged to have taken a bracelet. Since 2006 he had been living in Portugal.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
196869 in European football (UEFA)
Domestic leagues
Domestic cups
League cups
UEFA competitions
Non-UEFA competitions

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.