1966 FA Cup Final

The 1966 FA Cup Final was a football match played on 14 May 1966. It was contested by Everton and Sheffield Wednesday at Wembley. Everton were the first team since Bury FC in 1903 to reach an FA Cup Final without conceding a goal in the preceding rounds.

Everton came back from 2–0 down to win 3–2, with goals by Mike Trebilcock (2) and Derek Temple. Jim McCalliog and David Ford scored the Owls' goals. Temple's winner came after an unfortunate slip by Gerry Young, when the ball squirmed under his foot, and Temple was able to run clear and slot the ball past goalkeeper Springett into the corner. Everton became only the second side ever, after Blackpool in 1953, to come from two goals behind to win the cup without the need of extra time, a feat which has not been repeated since. By contrast, Wednesday hold the unwanted record of being the only side ever to lose an FA Cup Final in normal time having held a two-goal lead and without the loss of a player to injury, Bolton in 1953 having been effectively reduced to nine fit men before losing their two-goal lead.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney of The Beatles both attended the match. Everton fan Eddie Cavanagh invaded the playing area and was pursued across the pitch by a policeman.[1]

This result meant the FA Cup was taken back to Goodison Park for the third time and the first time for 33 years, since the team which included Dixie Dean had won it in 1933.

1966 FA Cup Final
Old Wembley Stadium (external view)
Event1965–66 FA Cup
Everton Sheffield Wednesday
3 2
Date14 May 1966
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeJack Taylor (Staffordshire)

Match details

Everton3–2Sheffield Wednesday
Trebilcock Goal 59'64'
Temple Goal 74'
Report McCalliog Goal 4'
Ford Goal 57'
Sheffield Wednesday
1 England Gordon West
2 England Tommy Wright
3 England Ray Wilson
4 Scotland Jimmy Gabriel
5 England Brian Labone (c)
6 England Brian Harris
7 Scotland Alex Scott
8 England Mike Trebilcock
9 Scotland Alex Young
10 England Colin Harvey
11 England Derek Temple
England Harry Catterick
1 England Ron Springett
2 England Wilf Smith
3 England Don Megson
4 England Peter Eustace
5 England Sam Ellis
6 England Gerry Young
7 England Graham Pugh
8 England John Fantham
9 Scotland Jim McCalliog
10 England David Ford
11 England John Quinn
England Alan Brown

Match rules

  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
  • Replay if scores still level.


  1. ^ The Observer : The 30 most outrageous sporting moments

External links

1965–66 FA Cup

The 1965–66 FA Cup was the 85th staging of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Everton won the competition for the third time, beating Sheffield Wednesday 3–2 in the final at Wembley.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1966 FA Charity Shield

The 1966 FA Charity Shield was a Merseyside derby between Liverpool and Everton at Goodison Park. Liverpool won the Football League and Everton won the 1966 FA Cup Final to qualify for the charity shield. Before the game, Roger Hunt, Alan Ball and Ray Wilson paraded the World Cup, the FA Cup and the Football League Trophy around Goodison Park.

Liverpool won the game with a goal from Roger Hunt in the ninth minute of the first half.

Alex Young (footballer, born 1937)

Alexander Young (3 February 1937 – 27 February 2017) was a Scottish international footballer. He played as a creative forward for Heart of Midlothian and Everton. He won league championship and cup titles with both clubs where he was also a regular goal scorer. Young later played for Glentoran and Stockport County. Internationally he played for the Scottish League and the Scotland national football team. In football folklore he has become known as 'The Golden Vision'.

Brian Harris (footballer)

Brian Harris (16 May 1935 – 17 February 2008) was an English footballer.

David Ford (footballer)

David Ford (born 2 March 1945) is a former professional footballer, who played for Sheffield Wednesday, Newcastle United, Sheffield United and Halifax Town. His career lasted from 1965 to 1976 during which time he made 245 league appearances with 15 as substitute and scored 42 goals. He was an attacking right sided player.

Ford was born in Sheffield, West Riding of Yorkshire, he joined Sheffield Wednesday as an 18-year-old in 1963 and made his debut in the 1965–66 season against Sunderland on 23 October, coming off the bench to become the first ever substitute used by Wednesday in a League match. He scored his first goal in a 1–0 home league victory over Fulham on 20 November 1965. Ford's career really took off in the latter stages of that first season when he scored 13 goals in 18 league and cup matches between 5 March and 14 May. His goals helped Wednesday reach the 1966 FA Cup Final, he scored in the fifth round victory over Huddersfield Town and twice in the quarter final win at Blackburn Rovers. Ford's greatest career moment happened in that year's F.A Cup final when he scored after 57 minutes to put Wednesday 2–0 up against Everton and on the way to victory after their goalkeeper Gordon West spilled a fierce shot by John Fantham and Ford followed up to slide the ball into the far corner, however Wednesday were defeated as Everton came back to score three times and win the trophy.David Ford's second season (1966–67) for Wednesday was also a success he finished the season joint top scorer with John Ritchie with 15 goals. He won two caps for the England Under 23 team during that season playing against Wales in an 8-1 win at Molineux and against Scotland in a 1-3 defeat at St James' Park. Tragedy struck during 1967 when he was involved in a serious car accident in which his fiancée was killed. Ford took a long time to recover from the accident making only 14 appearances during the 1967-68 season and he was eventually sold to Newcastle United in December 1969. Ford made 26 league appearances in his 14-month stay with Newcastle, scoring three goals. He returned to play in Sheffield in January 1971 when he joined Wednesday's city rivals Sheffield United. He was not a regular in the United side making only 21 league appearances and scoring twice in over two years. He moved to Halifax Town in July 1973 and played there for three seasons making 83 league appearances and scoring six goals. He was released by Halifax in May 1976 ending David Ford's professional career.David Ford has been running his own plumbing and heating business in Sheffield for many years and he is part owner of the Champs sports bar on Ecclesall road in the city.

David Ford appeared on the BBC television football quiz "Quiz Ball" in the winter of 1967 representing Sheffield Wednesday along with fellow player Gerry Young, assistant manager John Marshall and celebrity supporter Stan Barstow.He also now owns the Cross Sythes Pub in Totley.

Derek Temple

Derek William Temple (born 13 November 1938) is an English former footballer who played in the Football League as a forward for Everton and Preston North End in the Football League. He was capped once for England.Temple was born in Liverpool, Lancashire, and came through Everton's junior sides to make his first-team debut at centre-forward on 30 March 1957. He moved to inside forward later that year and linked up well with Dave Hickson, but the partnership was broken up when Temple was called up for his National Service. Harry Catterick moved Temple to the left wing in 1961, and during his first season in this position he scored 10 goals in 17 games. He missed out on a league winner's medal the next season, sidelined by a cartilage operation. Temple scored the late winner in Everton's 3–2 defeat of Sheffield Wednesday in the 1966 FA Cup Final. In his Everton career he made 272 appearances (one as substitute) scoring 82 goals (72 League, 8 FA Cup and 2 in Europe).Temple was transferred to Preston North End for in 1967 for a £35,000 fee. He made 76 league appearances for Preston, scoring 14 goals. He joined Wigan Athletic for £4,000 in the summer of 1970. He made 40 Northern Premier League appearances for the club before deciding to retire.He played once for the England team, selected by Alf Ramsey for the game on 12 May 1965 against West Germany which England won 1–0.

Don Megson

Donald Harry Megson (born 12 June 1936) is an English former footballer and football manager.

Don Megson is regarded as one of Sheffield Wednesday's greatest servants. He was signed from Mossley in the Cheshire League by Wednesday in 1952. He made his first team debut in November 1959, becoming a regular in the side as a left-back and eventually taking up the role of club captain. It was as captain that he led his team to a lap of honour (the first to do so as a losing captain) after Wednesday's 3–2 defeat to Everton at the 1966 FA Cup Final. Don made 442 appearances (including 386 league appearances and scoring six goals) for Sheffield Wednesday before moving to Bristol Rovers in March 1970 for whom he made 31 league appearances and scored one goal.

He managed Bristol Rovers from 1972 to 1977, winning the 1972 Watney Cup in only his third game in charge. He coached the Portland Timbers of the North American Soccer League from 1978 to 1980. He also coached at Bournemouth for seven months in 1983. Both of his sons, Gary and Neil, have also played and managed professionally.

He worked as a freelance scout for Bolton Wanderers, the club whom his son Gary managed until 30 December 2009.

In October 2014, he released his biography, entitled, "Don Megson: A Life in Football".


"Footsee", credited to Wigan's Chosen Few, was a British hit single in 1975, reaching # 9 on the UK Singles Chart. It is notable as being one of the first commercially successful remixes of a previously released recording.

By late 1974, the Northern soul music and dance scene centered on the Wigan Casino club in Lancashire, England, was attracting increasing attention from mainstream media in the UK, at the same time as original American R&B recordings which met the musical criteria of its fans, and which were new to listeners, were becoming more difficult to find. According to most sources, Dave McAleer, then working for Pye Records' Disco Demand subsidiary label, heard a 1968 single by the obscure Canadian band, The Chosen Few. The record's B-side was a brief instrumental version of the A-side. It had originally been released on the Transworld record label in Canada, and was reissued in the US by Roulette Records (Roulette 7015) as a tie-in with the popular "Footsee" toy. Pye held the rights to the Roulette catalogue in the UK, and McAleer arranged for the original instrumental track to be speeded up in the recording studio to the right dance tempo. It was also overdubbed with car horns and crowd noises, which are variously reported to be taken from the 1966 FA Cup final between Everton and Sheffield Wednesday, or alternatively a group of revellers invited into the Pye studio.Released on the Disco Demand label in late 1974, the remixed and overdubbed record reached the UK chart in January 1975. The B-side was a true Northern soul favourite, "Seven Days Too Long" by Chuck Wood. When "Footsee" was featured on BBC Television's Top of the Pops, dancers from the Wigan Casino gave a demonstration of the Northern Soul style of dancing, in the absence of a real group to promote the record.Music journalist, Stuart Maconie, described the record as an "embarrassing novelty" and "execrable" in his autobiography, Cider With Roadies.

Graham Pugh

John Graham Pugh (born 12 February 1948 in Chester, Cheshire) is an English former professional footballer who played in the Football League as a midfielder for Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield Town, Chester, Barnsley and Scunthorpe United in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. He played in the 1966 FA Cup Final for Sheffield Wednesday, losing to Everton.

Harry Catterick

Harry Catterick (26 November 1919 – 9 March 1985) was an English football player and manager. As a player Catterick played for Everton and Crewe Alexandra, in a career that was interrupted by World War II, but he is most notable as a manager. After spells with Crewe, Rochdale and Sheffield Wednesday, with whom he won the Football League Second Division title, he took over at Everton and won the Football League twice and the FA Cup with the Merseyside club and is regarded as one of Everton's most successful managers. He finished his managerial career at Preston North End.

Jack Taylor (referee)

John Keith Taylor (21 April 1930 – 27 July 2012) was an English football referee, famous for officiating in the 1974 FIFA World Cup Final during which he awarded two penalties in the first 30 minutes. The first of these penalty kicks, awarded after just a minute of play, created World Cup history – it was the first penalty kick ever awarded in a World Cup final.

Jim McCalliog

James McCalliog (born 23 September 1946) is a Scottish former footballer, who played for Chelsea, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Manchester United, Southampton and Lincoln City in the Football League and who also had spells with Chicago Sting and Lyn (Oslo).

He played for Southampton in their victorious 1976 FA Cup Final against his former employers Manchester United and made the pass that set up Bobby Stokes for the only goal. He also appeared in the 1966 FA Cup Final for Sheffield Wednesday in a 3–2 defeat by Everton, and scored one of the Owls' goals.

He also won five caps for Scotland and scored the third goal in Scotland's 3–2 win over World Cup winners England at Wembley in 1967.

John Quinn (footballer)

John Quinn (born 30 May 1938, St Helens, Lancashire) is a former professional footballer who played for Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham United and Halifax Town. He also played for non league Worksop Town towards the end of his playing days. Johnny’s professional career was long, lasting from 1959 to 1976 during which time he made 379 league appearances. Quinn played in the half back position or defensive midfielder but he could also play at fullback and winger if needed. He was relatively short of stature, being only 5 foot 6 inches (165 cm).

Quinn played football in the St Helens Combination League as a teenager for Prescot Cables and signed for Sheffield Wednesday as an apprentice after leaving school. Wednesday had a top class team in late 1950s and early '60s and it was hard for the young Quinn to force his way into the first team. He made his debut as a 21-year-old on Saturday 26 September 1959 in a 2-0 home victory over Luton Town, however he only made one more appearance that season. It took four years for Quinn to become a regular in the Wednesday side, his cause not being helped by the fact that he had to do his national service during this time.

Quinn was a regular for Wednesday from the start of the 1964-65 season up to his departure from the club in November 1967 during his time at Hillsborough he played 196 matches (including cup games) and scored 25 goals. He played in the 1966 FA Cup Final defeat against Everton, wearing the number 11 shirt. Quinn moved to Second Division Rotherham United in November 1967, the team were struggling and were eventually relegated at the end of the season. He was made club captain by manager Tommy Docherty and he played him at wing half. He stayed at Rotherham until July 1972 when he moved to Halifax Town as player-coach.

He took over as caretaker manager of Halifax in September 1974 when George Mulhall resigned and was eventually handed the job on a permanent basis until February 1976 when he was replaced by Alan Ball senior. He left Halifax immediately on 2 February after making 92 appearances for the club and joined non league Worksop Town. At this time Johnny opened a sports shop on Middlewood Road, Hillsborough just 200 metres from the Sheffield Wednesday ground in conjunction with another former Wednesday player Gerry Young. The shop was a successful business for many years.

After the end of Johnny’s professional football career he formed his own charity football team “Johnny Quinn’s All Stars” featuring former professionals from around the South Yorkshire area such as Emlyn Hughes, Lawrie Madden, Imre Varadi and Mel Sterland. The All Stars have raised huge amounts of money for charity over the years and are still going today although Johnny Quinn announced he was pulling out as the figurehead of the All Stars in May 2006 with former Wednesday player Mel Sterland taking over. Sterland said at the time, "Johnny should get an MBE for what he's done for charities; the money raised must run into millions."

Johnny Fantham

John Fantham (6 February 1939 – 25 June 2014) was an English footballer.

Fantham was born in Sheffield, West Riding of Yorkshire. He is Sheffield Wednesday's leading post-war goalscorer with 166 goals. He was signed in 1956 and made his Wednesday debut two years later. Fantham firmly established himself as an able goalscorer in the English top flight for Wednesday, as his 23 goals helped the club to a second-place finish in 1960-61. The following season, he netted 24 times, earning him selection for the England under-23 team and his only England cap at full international level. He was an integral part of the Wednesday side that reached the 1966 FA Cup Final and two years later, he passed Redfern Froggatt's post war scoring record. Fantham made 435 appearances for the club, staying until 1969 when he joined Rotherham United.

Mike Trebilcock

Michael Trebilcock (born 29 November 1944 in Gunnislake, Cornwall) is an English retired professional footballer. He played primarily as a winger and is most famous for scoring twice in the 1966 FA Cup Final for Everton, becoming the first black player to score in an FA Cup Final. Trebilcock is described as a "black mixed heritage player" by sociologist Mark Christian, who notes that the label of first black Everton player is often wrongly given to Cliff Marshall, "due to [Trebilcock's] ambiguous black mixed heritage".Mike Trebilcock played for non-league Tavistock before joining Plymouth Argyle in December 1962. he scored 27 times in 71 league games for the Pilgrims, leading to a £23,000 move to Everton on 31 December 1965. He made his debut a few days later against Aston Villa, but was injured and spent much of the rest of the season on the sidelines. In the meantime, Everton had been progressing through to the FA Cup final, where they would meet Sheffield Wednesday.

Despite having only played 4 reserve games since his injury, Trebilcock was included in the squad and surprisingly picked ahead of England international centre-forward Fred Pickering to play in the final. Wednesday took a 2-0 lead with goals from Jim McCalliog and David Ford, but within 5 minutes of Ford's goal, Trebilcock had scored twice to level the scores. A goal from Derek Temple sealed the win for Everton.

Even after the cup final, he struggled to establish himself in the Everton side and in January 1968, after 3 goals in only 11 league games for Everton, he moved to Portsmouth for a fee of £40,000. He was a regular goalscorer at Portsmouth, netting 33 times in 109 league games, before a free transfer took him to Torquay United in July 1972. He spent just one season at Plainmoor, hitting 10 goals in 24 league games, leaving in June 1973 to join Weymouth on a free transfer. In March 1974 he emigrated to Sydney, Australia where he played for Western Suburbs and won the NSW Rothmans Medal in 1974.

Having got involved in coaching, he moved in the early 1990s up to Darwin, where a professional club has been established to compete in the Singapore national league. After less than two seasons the Darwin Cubs folded due to financial problems but he stayed in the area and took various jobs.

Ron Springett

Ronald Deryk George Springett (22 July 1935 – 12 September 2015) was a football goalkeeper for Sheffield Wednesday, QPR and England.

Sam Ellis (footballer)

Samuel "Sam" Ellis (born 12 September 1946 in Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire) is an English football coach and former player. He is currently the assistant manager of Middlesbrough.

Sandy Brown (footballer, born 1939)

Alexander Dewar "Sandy" Brown (24 March 1939 – 8 April 2014) was a Scottish footballer, best known as an Everton player where he played from 1963 until 1971.

Tommy Wright (footballer, born 1944)

Thomas James Wright (born 21 October 1944 in Norris Green, Liverpool) is a former footballer. A one-club man, he played for Everton, with whom he won the Football League and the FA Cup, and represented England, including at the 1970 FIFA World Cup.

Qualifying rounds
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team
Everton F.C. matches
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Charity Shields
European Cup Winners' Cup Final
European Super Cup
Full Members' Cup Finals
Other matches
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Charity Shield
Football League play-off Final

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.