1963 FA Cup Final

The 1963 FA Cup Final was the final of the 1962–63 FA Cup, the 82nd season of England's premier club football competition. The match was played at Wembley Stadium (which was fully roofed for the first time) on 25 May 1963 and contested by Manchester United and Leicester City. United won 3–1, with a goal from Denis Law and two from David Herd, lifting the trophy for the third time, while City had now played in three FA Cup finals and had still yet to win the trophy. Ken Keyworth scored the consolation goal for Leicester.

1963 FA Cup Final
Event1962–63 FA Cup
Leicester City Manchester United
1 3
Date25 May 1963
VenueWembley Stadium, London
RefereeKen Aston (Ilford)



Despite fielding nine internationals United had struggled during the season while their opponents City had performed well, doing the league double over United in the process and thus entered the final as slight favourites. The importance of televised coverage came to the fore this year as the two sides tossed for choice of colours despite traditionally wearing red and blue shirts respectively. Those colours would look identical to the viewers on their black and white televisions so Leicester, having lost the toss switched to white.


The opening fifteen minutes of the game were error strewn and Leicester could easily have found themselves three goals in front as United's clearly nervous goalkeeper, David Gaskell, presented them with three opportunities to fire into an unguarded net. On each occasion, Keyworth, Stringfellow and Gibson in turn were unable to finish the moves off with a last-ditch United challenge keeping the scoreline blank.

Having survived the third scare in the fifteenth minute, United took a stranglehold on the match which they never relinquished, peppering Gordon Banks goalmouth with several shots off target before finally taking a deserved lead after half an hour. A Bobby Charlton shot had been saved comfortably by Banks, who then bowled the ball out to Gibson. Paddy Crerand read the throw and raced in to intercept the ball twenty-five yards from the Leicester goal before passing to Denis Law, who turned and fired past Banks and two defenders to open the scoring. Indeed, Law could have had a second goal ten minutes later when he took the ball around Banks but was unable to steer the ball into the goal under pressure from two defenders.

Leicester improved at the start of the second half and were presented with yet another chance by the nervous Gaskell, who dropped the ball at the feet of Cross who was unable to get his shot on target. United though gradually regained their supremacy and deservedly sealed Leicester's fate after fifty-seven minutes when a cross field ball from Giles found Charlton unmarked. He raced into the box and shot at Banks who could only parry the shot into the path of David Herd who tapped into the empty net, triggering victorious choruses of "When the reds go marching in" from the United fans.

Leicester surprisingly got a lifeline with ten minutes left when a speculative Frank McLintock shot was met by Ken Keyworth, who scored with a well placed diving header. This raised the tension levels but there remained little sign of a Leicester fightback as United continued to dominate with Law hitting the post with a header a minute before the game was finally won in the eighty-fifth minute. The otherwise competent Banks came for a Giles cross and fumbled the ball into the path of Herd, who turned and fired past two defenders on the goal line to complete the victory.

The coverage

The game was broadcast live on BBC television as a cup final special edition of Grandstand, making it the nineteenth cup final to be broadcast live on television. The programme was presented by David Coleman from pitch side where he spent the buildup to the game interviewing the players and officials as they walked onto the field an hour before kick off. He then handed over to commentator Ken Wolstenholme, whose eleventh final this was as the television commentator. The match was broadcast in black and white with the BBC requesting that one team change kit as the red of United and blue of City would be indistinguishable to the viewers. A newsreel broadcast was also shown in cinemas that evening by both Pathé and Movietone both in colour. BBC Radio coverage was provided by Raymond Glendenning and Alan Clarke (sports commentator) with a young Brian Moore acting as pitchside reporter

National anthem

The tradition at the end of the cup final was always to play the national anthem after the cup and medals had been presented but the United players were criticised in the press for not respecting this tradition as they began hoisting Cantwell onto the shoulders of Quixall and Crerand as the band began to play. Nearby journalists had to tell the United players to stop. The practice was done away with from the following season.


BBC commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme speculated that United's victory was as a result of their having been more match sharp, having had to play to avoid relegation right to the end of the season while Leicester had lost their sharpness with nothing to play for in the closing weeks of the season.

When interviewed after the match by David Coleman this was a view shared by United manager Matt Busby who felt that his team were a side of big-game players while winning captain Noel Cantwell felt that their poor league placing had made it increasingly hard for the team as the season had gone on. Neither Leicester manager Matt Gillies nor captain Colin Appleton offered any excuses and both merely felt that their side had underperformed on the day and been outplayed by a better team, Appleton adding "I can't understand how that team (United) finished where they did in the league."

Match details

Leicester City1–3Manchester United
Keyworth Goal 80' (Report) Law Goal 30'
Herd Goal 57'85'
Leicester City
Manchester United
GK 1 England Gordon Banks
RB 2 Scotland John Sjoberg
LB 3 England Richie Norman
RH 4 Scotland Frank McLintock
CH 5 Scotland Ian King
LH 6 England Colin Appleton (c)
OR 7 England Howard Riley
IR 8 England Graham Cross
CF 9 England Ken Keyworth
IL 10 Scotland Dave Gibson
OL 11 England Mike Stringfellow
Scotland Matt Gillies
GK 1 England David Gaskell
RB 2 Republic of Ireland Tony Dunne
LB 3 Republic of Ireland Noel Cantwell (c)
RH 4 Scotland Pat Crerand
CH 5 England Bill Foulkes
LH 6 England Maurice Setters
OR 7 Republic of Ireland Johnny Giles
IR 8 England Albert Quixall
CF 9 Scotland David Herd
IL 10 Scotland Denis Law
OL 11 England Bobby Charlton
Scotland Matt Busby

External links

1962–63 FA Cup

The 1962–63 FA Cup was the 82nd staging of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Manchester United won the competition for only the third time, beating Leicester City 3–1 in the final at Wembley.

Matches were scheduled to be played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. Some matches, however, might be rescheduled for other days if there were clashes with games for other competitions or the weather was inclement. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played, a replay would take place at the stadium of the second-named team later the same week. If the replayed match was drawn further replays would be held until a winner was determined. If scores were level after 90 minutes had been played in a replay, a 30-minute period of extra time would be played.

1962–63 Leicester City F.C. season

The 1962–63 season was Leicester City's 58th season in the Football League and their 20th (non-consecutive) season in the first tier of English football. Under the management of Matt Gillies and starring players such as Gordon Banks, Frank McLintock and Dave Gibson, Leicester sensationally chased the double. Eventually falling short after losing 3-1 to Manchester United in the FA Cup Final and after gaining just one win from their final nine league games their title challenge collapsed and the Foxes eventually finished in a disappointing 4th position.

1999–2000 in English football

The 1999–2000 season was the 120th season of competitive football in England.

Albert Cheesebrough

Albert Cheesebrough (born 17 January 1935) is an English former footballer. A forward, he scored 88 goals in 345 leagues games over a sixteen-year professional career in the Football League.Turning professional with Burnley in 1951, he spent the next eight years at the club, making 158 appearances in league and cup competitions. Signing with Leicester City in 1959, he went on to play for the "Foxes" in the 1961 FA Cup Final. He moved on to Port Vale in 1963, and after recovering from injury he became the club's top-scorer in 1964–65, before he transferred to Mansfield Town in 1965. He spent two years with Mansfield before he was forced to retire due to injury. He won one cap for the England under-23s in 1956.

David Gaskell

John David Gaskell (born 5 October 1940), known as David Gaskell, is an English former football goalkeeper. Gaskell started his career as a youth player with Manchester United. He helped United win several trophies during the 1960s. He left the club for Wrexham in June 1969.

Denis Law

Denis Law (born 24 February 1940) is a Scottish former footballer who played as a forward. His career as a football player began at Second Division Huddersfield Town in 1956. After four years at Huddersfield, he was signed by Manchester City for an estimated transfer fee of £55,000, which set a new British record. Law spent one year there before Torino bought him for £110,000, this time setting a new record fee for a transfer involving a British player. Although he played well in Italy, he found it difficult to settle there and signed for Manchester United in 1962, setting another British record transfer fee of £115,000.

Law spent 11 years at Manchester United, where he scored 237 goals in 404 appearances. His goals tally places him third in the club's history, behind Wayne Rooney and Bobby Charlton. He was nicknamed The King and The Lawman by supporters, and Denis the Menace by opposing supporters. He is the only Scottish player to have won the Ballon d'Or award, doing so in 1964, and helped his club win the First Division in 1965 and 1967. He missed their European Cup triumph in 1968 through injury.

Law left Manchester United in 1973 to return to Manchester City for a season, and represented Scotland at the 1974 FIFA World Cup. He retired at the start of the 1974–75 season. Law played for Scotland a total of 55 times and jointly holds the Scottish international record goal tally with 30 goals. Law holds a United record for scoring 46 competitive goals in a single season.

Frank McLintock

Francis "Frank" McLintock MBE (born 28 December 1939) is a former Scotland international footballer and football manager. He also worked as a sports agent and football pundit in his later life.

He began his career in Scottish Junior football with Shawfield, before earning a professional contract with English First Division club Leicester City in December 1956. He played in two FA Cup final defeats before he was sold to Arsenal for £80,000 in October 1964. He had a poor start to his career at Arsenal, though he did feature in two League Cup final defeats, but he found success at the club after being switched from right-half to centre-half in 1969. Appointed as captain he led the club to their first European trophy, the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1970. The following season, 1970–71, he captained Arsenal to the Double, as they won the league and the FA Cup. He was sold to Queens Park Rangers in June 1973 for a fee of £25,000, and helped the club to finish as First Division runners-up in 1975–76 before he announced his retirement in May 1977. He scored a total of 66 goals in 766 league and cup games in a 20-year professional career, and won nine caps for Scotland in an eight-year international career.

He was appointed manager of Leicester City in June 1977, but resigned in April 1978 with the club heading out of the First Division. After a spell coaching at QPR he returned to management with Brentford in February 1984. He took the "Bees" to the 1985 Football League Trophy Final, before he resigned in January 1987. He later worked as assistant manager at Millwall before becoming a sports agent and football pundit.

Gordon Banks

Gordon Banks (30 December 1937 – 12 February 2019) was an English professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper. He made 679 appearances during a 20-year professional career, and won 73 caps for England, highlighted by starting every game of the nation's 1966 World Cup victory.

Banks joined Chesterfield in March 1953, and played for their youth team in the 1956 FA Youth Cup final. He made his first team debut in November 1958, and was sold to Leicester City for £7,000 in July 1959. He played in four cup finals for the club, as they were beaten in the 1961 and 1963 FA Cup finals, before winning the League Cup in 1964 and finishing as finalists in 1965. Despite this success, and his World Cup win in 1966, he was dropped by Leicester and sold on to Stoke City for £50,000 in April 1967. In the 1970 World Cup, he made one of the game's great saves to prevent a Pelé goal, but was absent due to illness as England were beaten by West Germany at the quarter-final stage.

Banks was Stoke City's goalkeeper in the 1972 League Cup win—the club's only major honour. He was still Stoke and England's number one when a car crash in October 1972 cost him both the sight in his right eye, and eventually, his professional career. He played two last seasons in the United States for the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in 1977 and 1978, and despite only having vision in one eye, was NASL Goalkeeper of the Year in 1977 after posting the best defensive record in the league. He briefly entered management with Telford United, but left the game in December 1980.

Regarded as one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, Banks was named FWA Footballer of the Year in 1972, and was named FIFA Goalkeeper of the Year on six occasions. The IFFHS named Banks the second-best goalkeeper of the 20th century, after Lev Yashin (1st) and ahead of Dino Zoff (3rd).

Harry Gregg

Henry Gregg, (born 27 October 1932) is a former Northern Ireland international footballer and manager. He made 25 appearances for Northern Ireland as a goalkeeper and played for Manchester United during the reign of Sir Matt Busby, with a total of 247 appearances for the club. He is a survivor of the Munich air disaster in 1958. Gregg also played for Doncaster Rovers and Stoke City and later went into management with Carlisle United, Crewe Alexandra, Shrewsbury Town and Swansea City.

Ken Aston

Kenneth George Aston, MBE (1 September 1915 – 23 October 2001) was an English teacher, soldier, and football referee, who was responsible for many important developments in football refereeing - including the yellow and red penalty card system.

Mark Pearson (footballer)

Mark Pearson (born 28 October 1939) is an English former footballer who played in the Football League as an inside forward for Manchester United, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham and Halifax Town.

Born in Ridgeway, Derbyshire, Pearson joined Manchester United as a trainee in 1955 and signed professional forms two years later. He made his first-team debut as an 18-year-old on 19 February 1958 as part of the makeshift side that beat Sheffield Wednesday in United's first game after the Munich Air Crash. He was involved in two of the three goals, and The Times' correspondent was impressed:But it was the performance of two young men, Cope at centre-half and the 17-year-old [sic] Pearson at inside-left, that left us rubbing our eyes in astonishment. Their maturity, polish, and skill left one wondering what other magic is hidden away in Old Trafford. Pearson, nicknamed "Pancho" due to the Mexican appearance that his sideburns gave him, played for the club until 1963, making 80 appearances and scoring 14 goals, when he was sold to Sheffield Wednesday for a £17,000 fee. He did not make United's side for the 1963 FA Cup Final, where they defeated Leicester City 3-1 to clinch their first major trophy of the post-Munich era.

Despite his regular action for United in the immediate aftermath of the Munich crash, and the deaths of Tommy Taylor and Liam Whelan, Pearson was soon faced with competition for a regular place in the team when crash survivors Bobby Charlton and Dennis Viollet regained fitness, and gained a fresh rival that summer when United signed Albert Quixall. Over the next few years, competition for places became tighter due to the arrival of new signings David Herd and Denis Law, as well as the form of younger players including Johnny Giles.

In 1965, after two season at Hillsborough, Pearson joined Fulham and played a pivotal role in the club's escape from relegation in the 1965–66 season. Fulham seemed doomed until a 2–0 win against Liverpool, runaway league leaders and eventual champions, in which Ian St John was sent off for punching Pearson, sparked them into a sequence of 10 wins from their last 13 matches. He left Fulham for Halifax Town in 1968, playing just five league games before retiring the following year at the age of 29.

Matt Busby

Sir Alexander Matthew Busby, CBE, KCSG (26 May 1909 – 20 January 1994) was a Scottish football player and manager, who managed Manchester United between 1945 and 1969 and again for the second half of the 1970–71 season. He was the first manager of an English team to win the European Cup and is widely regarded as one of the greatest managers of all time.Before going into management, Busby was a player for two of Manchester United's greatest rivals, Manchester City and Liverpool. During his time at City, Busby played in two FA Cup Finals, winning one of them. After his playing career was interrupted by the Second World War, Busby was offered the job of assistant coach at Liverpool, but they were unwilling to give him the control over the first team that he wanted. As a result, he took the vacant manager's job at Manchester United instead, where he built the famous Busby Babes team. Eight of these players died in the Munich air disaster, but Busby rebuilt the side and United won the European Cup a decade later. In a total of 25 years with the club, he won 13 trophies.

Maurice Setters

Maurice Edgar Setters (born 16 December 1936) is an English former football player and manager. As player, he made more than 400 appearances in the Football League representing Exeter City, West Bromwich Albion, Manchester United, Stoke City, Coventry City and Charlton Athletic, and in the United Soccer Association with the Cleveland Stokers (Stoke City under another name). His favoured position was wing half. As manager, he took charge of Doncaster Rovers and (briefly) Sheffield Wednesday, and spent several years as assistant manager of the Republic of Ireland. He is the oldest Manchester United captain who is still alive

Mike Stringfellow

Michael David Stringfellow (born 27 January 1943 in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire) is an English retired footballer who played 14 seasons as a winger for Leicester City in the 1960s and 1970s. He is the uncle of fellow footballer Ian Stringfellow.Stringfellow began his career at Mansfield Town whom he joined as a schoolboy in 1957. He was a star in Mansfield's youth team, and signed a professional contract in February 1960, shortly after his 17th birthday. He made his first-team debut six months later, playing as an outside-left in the game against Rochdale on 30 August 1960.Despite his young age, Stringfellow remained a regular in the Mansfield Town side, and scored 12 goals in 65 appearances for the Stags, before moving to Leicester City for £25,000 in January 1962 – the highest transfer fee ever paid for an 18-year-old at the time.By his second season at Filbert Street, Stringfellow was a regular in the Leicester side. He was a member of the Leicester side that lost against Manchester United in the 1963 FA Cup Final, and scored one of the goals when the Foxes won the League Cup the following season with a 4–3 aggregate win against Stoke City.

In 1968, Stringfellow suffered a serious cartilage injury, and was never the same player. Nevertheless, he remained on Leicester's books, mostly in a reserve role, until 1975 when he quit the professional game and finished his career with non-league Nuneaton Borough. In all competitions, Stringfellow played 377 games for Leicester and scored 98 goals.After his retirement from football, Stringfellow settled in Enderby, Leicestershire where he worked as a newsagent.

Nobby Stiles

Norbert Peter "Nobby" Stiles (born 18 May 1942) is an English retired footballer. He was born in Collyhurst, Manchester.

Stiles played for England for five years, winning 28 caps and scoring one goal. He played every minute of England's victorious 1966 FIFA World Cup campaign. His best performance in an England shirt was probably the semi-final of that tournament against Portugal, where he was given the job of marking the prolific Eusébio. His tough performance resulted in Eusébio being practically nullified for the entire game. Stiles also played very well in the final, which England won 4–2 against West Germany. His post-match celebration featured Stiles dancing on the Wembley pitch, holding the World Cup trophy in one hand and his false teeth in the other.

Stiles played the majority of his club career for Manchester United, spending eleven years at Old Trafford, where he became renowned for his tough tackling and ball winning qualities. With the Red Devils, he won two League titles and one European Cup. Stiles is one of only three Englishmen, alongside Bobby Charlton and Ian Callaghan, to have won both the FIFA World Cup and European Cup. However, Ian Callaghan was only in the squad for the 1966 FIFA World Cup and did not play in the final so did not receive a medal at the time but received one later.

He also had short spells with Middlesbrough and Preston North End.

Noel Cantwell

Noel Euchuria Cornelius Cantwell (28 February 1932 – 8 September 2005) was an Irish soccer player and sometime cricketer born in Cork, County Cork, Ireland. He was educated at the Roman Catholic Presentation Brothers College in Cork.

Pat Crerand

Patrick Timothy Crerand (born 19 February 1939), is a Scottish former footballer. After six years at Celtic he moved to Manchester United where he was a member of teams that won the English League title twice, the FA Cup and European Cup. He also gained 16 international caps for Scotland.He spent one season managing Northampton Town and has since forged a career in the media. He started on radio, and now commentates on matches for MUTV.

Timeline of English football

1840s – 1850s – 1860s – 1870s – 1880s – 1890s – 1900s – 1910s – 1920s – 1930s – 1940s – 1950s – 1960s – 1970s – 1980s – 1990s – 2000s

Tommy Lawrence

Thomas Johnstone Lawrence (14 May 1940 – 10 January 2018) was a Scottish professional footballer, who played as a goalkeeper for Liverpool and Tranmere Rovers from the 1950s to the 1970s. Lawrence played in three full internationals for Scotland during the 1960s.

Qualifying rounds
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Community Shield
UEFA Champions League Finals
European Cup Winners' Cup Final
UEFA Europa League Final
UEFA Super Cup
Intercontinental Cup
FIFA Club World Cup Final
Notable league matches
Other matches
FA Cup Finals
League Cup Finals
FA Community Shields
Football League play-off Finals
Other matches
FA competitions
Football League
Lower leagues
European competitions
Related to national team

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.